Know Your Rights videos

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

My son got arrested in Indiana when he was 20. His wife had called and asked him to pick her up one night. She had bought a bottle of wine and left it on the floorboard of his car. So he gets pulled over for a traffic offense and starts blabbing at the police officer that he has an unopened bottle of wine in the car. In Indiana that's illegal if you're under 21.

He spends the night in jail and has to jump through hoops for the next year to get it off his record. I told him whenever he's pulled over by a cop to turn on the overhead light, roll down the window, put both hands on the wheel, never say anything unnecessary and especially don't volunteer any information. :palm:

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's good to know what you should and shouldn't do, also good to know what the cops can and can't do. As long as people aren't assholes about it, making the officer's life harder. They have no idea what's going to happen when they walk up to your car, if you're going to shoot them or what. More often than not, showing your license/registration and a smile is good enough to get out of a ticket. When you start acting like a douchebag, they can legally make it a bigger pain in the ass.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
he gets pulled over for a traffic offense and starts blabbing at the police officer that he has an unopened bottle of wine in the car. In Indiana that's illegal if you're under 21
How does that law past Constitutional limits on power (both State & Federal)? Where's the victim? What infringement on others rights is the government mediating?
As long as people aren't assholes about it
Yup, no reason for any party in these transactions to be anything other than courteous & polite.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
How does that law past Constitutional limits on power (both State & Federal)? Where's the victim? What infringement on others rights is the government mediating?

I can see it if someone has an open container in their vehicle and alcohol on their breath but my son wasn't drinking and the bottle of wine had not been opened. The breathalyzer test proved that. There are some laws that are ridiculous yet still remain on the books.

The way I look at it is that he learned a valuable lesson. Keep your mouth shut unless you're spoken to, answer the questions politely, and in most cases things will go well for you.

It's good to know what you should and shouldn't do, also good to know what the cops can and can't do. As long as people aren't assholes about it, making the officer's life harder. They have no idea what's going to happen when they walk up to your car, if you're going to shoot them or what. More often than not, showing your license/registration and a smile is good enough to get out of a ticket. When you start acting like a douchebag, they can legally make it a bigger pain in the ass.

Absolutely true. Make the police officer feel as safe as possible and be polite. If he/she is being a jerk, be calm and polite anyway.

fearsomefour

Legend

Yup, no reason for any party in these transactions to be anything other than courteous & polite.
The same could probably be said for DUI check points.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I can see it if someone has an open container in their vehicle and alcohol on their breath but my son wasn't drinking and the bottle of wine had not been opened.
Right, all an open bottle does is create probable cause. Being take to jail for this is ridiculous.
The same could probably be said for DUI check points.
Another one that bewilders me.

bluecoconuts

Legend
DUI checkpoints have a few regulations that allow them to skate around the 4th Amendment issues. They need to come from higher ups (as in an officer on patrol can't just decide to randomly throw one up one night), they need to be announced (date, time and location) prior to setting them up, there needs to be a formula to stopping cars (every other car, every 4th car, every car etc) so it's not just random, there needs to be signs/lights warning cars, and officers have to give cars a way to get away from the checkpoint once they see one coming up, before they enter into the checkpoint, and they're not allowed to pull you over if you do that.

A lot of cops will ignore the last part and try to find another reason to pull you over if you leave early. Happened to me last year actually, I was on my way home from work, saw the checkpoint up ahead, and pulled into a neighborhood knowing I could go around it (and thus avoid the traffic jam). I saw one cop having someone else pulled over, and sure enough another cop pulled up behind me and pulled me over. Turned on my interior lights, pulled out my license and such, and when he asked me if I knew why he pulled me over, I replied "Because you're hoping that I don't know you're not allowed to pull me over for avoiding the checkpoint." and showed him my license. He laughed and said "Yeah, something like that, you have a good one." and that was it.

Also a few states have outlawed checkpoints because of state laws, Washington, Oregon, and Texas is among them... There's only like ten total though.

fearsomefour

Legend
A co worker of mine asked me to put together a little list of advice for her son headed off to college....not the standard "study hard" advice. I am not sure why....single mother, maybe that is why. Anyway, she compiled the list (she asked several people) and it was sort of an interesting mix.
I think I will have her tell him to watch that "Don't Talk to the Police" video.

fearsomefour

Legend
DUI checkpoints have a few regulations that allow them to skate around the 4th Amendment issues. They need to come from higher ups (as in an officer on patrol can't just decide to randomly throw one up one night), they need to be announced (date, time and location) prior to setting them up, there needs to be a formula to stopping cars (every other car, every 4th car, every car etc) so it's not just random, there needs to be signs/lights warning cars, and officers have to give cars a way to get away from the checkpoint once they see one coming up, before they enter into the checkpoint, and they're not allowed to pull you over if you do that.

A lot of cops will ignore the last part and try to find another reason to pull you over if you leave early. Happened to me last year actually, I was on my way home from work, saw the checkpoint up ahead, and pulled into a neighborhood knowing I could go around it (and thus avoid the traffic jam). I saw one cop having someone else pulled over, and sure enough another cop pulled up behind me and pulled me over. Turned on my interior lights, pulled out my license and such, and when he asked me if I knew why he pulled me over, I replied "Because you're hoping that I don't know you're not allowed to pull me over for avoiding the checkpoint." and showed him my license. He laughed and said "Yeah, something like that, you have a good one." and that was it.

Also a few states have outlawed checkpoints because of state laws, Washington, Oregon, and Texas is among them... There's only like ten total though.
Interesting mix of state politics with Washington, Oregon and Texas.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
A co worker of mine asked me to put together a little list of advice for her son headed off to college....not the standard "study hard" advice. I am not sure why....single mother, maybe that is why. Anyway, she compiled the list (she asked several people) and it was sort of an interesting mix.
I think I will have her tell him to watch that "Don't Talk to the Police" video.
I think the Flex Your Rights folks are an organized non-profit, and have posted quite a few videos on Youtube. Here's the full length video...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4nQ_mFJV4I

And here's their website
http://www.flexyourrights.org/

And here's their founder on Cspan..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBkxscI2DDM