Kirwan's Mock Draft #2 --OT Peat To Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
NFL Mock Draft No. 2: Jameis Winston vaults Marcus Mariota into top spot
February 11, 2015 11:51 am ET

By Pat Kirwan

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...s-winston-vaults-marcus-mariota-into-top-spot

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers -- Jameis Winston, QB Florida State: A lot of people really believe this is the right pick for the Bucs. I'm not convinced he is the way to go but until the heavy scrutiny of his off-the-field issues is complete. I'll leave him on top mainly because Lovie Smith would be a great influence on the young man.

2. Tennessee Titans -- Marcus Mariota, QB Oregon: I believe if Mariota is available at the No. 2 spot the Titans will get plenty of offers. The Jets, Browns and maybe even the Eagles could make a play for Mariota.

3. Jacksonville Jaguars -- Leonard Williams, DT, USC: Williams is a rare athlete who might be gone by the third pick but if available would be a centerpiece of the Jags defense.

4. Oakland Raiders -- Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama: The leading college receiver with 124 receptions last year is a player in the same class as Julio Jones. Derek Carr needs weapons and Cooper is the best in the draft.

5. Washington Redskins -- Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, Nebraska: Brian Orakpo was on a franchise tag and got injured once again. Washington needs an OLB pass rusher to take his place. By the time April 30 comes along there could be another player with the same skills in this spot.

6. New York Jets -- Shane Ray, OLB, Missouri: Ray was left out of the first round last week, but he's back, and in this general area he might get a call. The Jets have a big need for an OLB with rush skills.

7. Chicago Bears -- Danny Shelton, DT, Washington: Big men with agility and quickness are simply hard to find. Shelton impressed at the Senior Bowl and demonstrated better range than most players in the 345 lb. class.

8. Atlanta Falcons -- Dante Fowler, DE, Florida: The Falcons need pass rushers and they will have choices at this spot. Last week I had Vic Beasley here and now it's Fowler. Fowler is bigger than Beasley but still needs time to develop strength. Go watch the LSU game to get a glimpse of his potential.

9. New York Giants -- La'el Collins, OT, LSU: I was impressed at the Senior Bowl with his versatility. The Giants have a number of issues in the offensive line and his flexibility is a big plus.

10. St. Louis Rams -- Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford: A classic left tackle who could be gone to the Giants a pick earlier. The position is an issue with because of injuries to Jake Long. This would be a solid pick for the Rams.

11. Minnesota Vikings -- Kevin White, WR, West Virginia: White is big and finished third in college with 109 receptions and 10 touchdowns in 2014. He only had 5 drops in 163 targets and is the kind of player who can help Teddy Bridgewater develop.

12. Cleveland Browns -- Brandon Scherff, OT, Iowa: NFL teams always like offensive linemen developed at Iowa by Kirk Ferentz. If the Browns stay in this spot a bookend tackle opposite Joe Thomas is a solid idea.

13. New Orleans Saints -- Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson: The Saints have lots of needs, especially on defense. A versatile 'hybrid' rusher/linebacker type is what Rob Ryan loves to work with.

14. Miami Dolphins -- Eddie Goldman, DT Florida State: A big, athletic defensive tackle who possesses inside pass rush skills as well as the bulk to stop the run. He should play pro football in the 320-pound range and can stay on the field for all three downs.

15. San Francisco 49ers -- DeVante Parker, WR, Louisville: Parker missed significant time early in the season but late-year performances like the Florida State game pushed him right back into first-round consideration. If he runs in the low 4.4 range at his size he's a solid pick.

16. Houston Texans -- Shaq Thompson, LB, Washington: Thompson is a football player who can line up anywhere. The Texans have long-range questions at inside linebacker and the addition of Thompson would make Houston's front seven one of the best in the NFL if Clowney returns to 100 percent.

17. San Diego Chargers -- Alvin 'Bud' Dupree, DE, Kentucky: Dupree made 20 plays behind the line of scrimmage. There are some similarities to Terrell Suggs when he came out of college. The Chargers could use more pass rush types on that defense.

18. Kansas City Chiefs -- Landon Collins, S, Alabama: Some believe he's the best safety in the draft and the Chiefs have to find a replacement for Eric Berry. By time we get to the draft Collins could be painted as a strong safety-only type and Gerod Holliman (Louisville) with his 14 interceptions could be in the conversation.

19. Cleveland Browns -- Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State: The Browns have a void with Josh Gordon gone for a year. Strong caught 157 passes and 17 touchdowns in the last two seasons. There are other receivers in this draft that will be solid pros and can be taken in the second or third rounds. Last week Sammie Coates was in this spot but his drop ratio is an issue.

20. Philadelphia Eagles -- Malcolm Brown, DT, Texas: Big, athletic defensive tackles are hard to find and the small pool evaporates fast in the draft. He may not be as bulky as Eddie Goldman but he was disruptive in 2014 with 19 plays behind the line of scrimmage. Some 3-4 defenses are looking for '5' techniques to rush the passer or he could be a '3' tech in a 4-3 defense.

21. Cincinnati Bengals -- Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State: Waynes comes from a school that develops corners. He can play man-to-man, he has the size teams are looking for in 2015 to match up with big receivers and the Bengals could team him up with his old college teammate Darqueze Dennard. There was a game or two late in 2014 that might raise questions about Waynes.

22. Pittsburgh Steelers: Quinten Rollins, CB, Miami (Ohio): I really liked Rollins at the Senior Bowl. Many think of him as a second or third-round corner, but the Senior Bowl usually produces a few first-round picks that weren't considered to go quite as high before the week in Mobile. Rollins is a former starter on the basketball team and in one football season was the conference defensive player of the year.

23. Detroit Lions -- Jordan Phillips, DT, Oklahoma: If Ndamukong Suh and Nick Fairley both leave Detroit in free agency that leaves the Lions with one DT under contract. Phillips is a massive tackle with decent first-step quickness and would be a fit at the nose. Team that use 3-4 schemes will be interested in him as well.

24. Arizona Cardinals -- Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State: The Cardinals got a lot of mileage out of Larry Foote when Daryl Washington was suspended for the year, but a big physical backer like McKinney would help plug a gap in this defense. He might be a three-down player because of his pass rush skills and has the size to play across the front seven.

25. Carolina Panthers -- Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami: The Panthers may argue they like their young offensive tackles, but at this point in the draft a tackle like Flowers is good value. Another top notch wide receiver or a pass rusher (don't expect Greg Hardy back) would be just as good.

26. Baltimore Ravens -- Maxx Williams, TE, Minnesota: Coaches that have studied Williams call him a difference maker. He's a rare athletic type who will be a matchup problem. Not so sure there is another tight end like him in the draft. Owen Daniels isn't getting any younger and Dennis Pitta is injured once again. Team Maxx up with Crockett Gillmore and the '12' personnel package would be dangerous.

27. Dallas Cowboys -- Carl Davis, DT, Iowa: Davis really helped himself at the Senior Bowl. He's big with quickness and a terrific motor. The kind of guy Rod Marinelli loves to coach. I don't believe the Cowboys will bring back Henry Melton and if there isn't a top DE on the board this is an option.

28. Denver Broncos -- Daryl Williams, OT, Oklahoma:The Broncos would get a big power run blocking right tackle who can pass block. Gary Kubiak is going to develop a better run game even with Peyton Manning under center.

29. Indianapolis Colts -- Eric Kendricks, LB, UCLA: Some see Kendricks as a second-round talent, but his production and explosiveness can't be denied. He had 385 tackles in the last three years and he plays well in the passing game. A solid WLB in a 4-3 package or a WILB in a 3-4.

30. Green Bay Packers -- Devin Funchess, WR/TE Michigan: A rare combination of size and athletic ability. He could answer the void left by the loss of tight end Jermichael Finley.

31. Seattle Seahawks -- Sammie Coates, WR, Clemson:Caotes might drop some passes, but he is explosive and a big-play guy. The Seahawks could go defensive line or o-line here, but for now a wide receiver.

32. New England Patriots -- Arik Armstead, DE, Oregon: Hard to find guys this tall who are available late in the first round. The Patriots could trade out of this spot to a team looking to lock up the third quarterback in the draft before the day one session is over. Seattle did it last year and Bill Belichick will have enough names on his board to move down.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'm a fan of Peat and one thing for sure, it won't take him look to understand the playbook regardless if Frank Cignetti simplifies it or not because he's a Stanford man!

WestCoastRam

Legend
Regardless of who trades up or down, I don't see the top 10 changing that much from something like this. Sure, once you get out of the top 10 it starts to get more interesting and people's mocks tend to break down.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
10. St. Louis Rams -- Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford: A classic left tackle who could be gone to the Giants a pick earlier. The position is an issue with because of injuries to Jake Long. This would be a solid pick for the Rams.
No, the position of left tackle is NOT an issue. That issue was addressed last year. The positions of center and right guard are issues.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Wow. No T.J. Clemmings in the first round, and yet Scherff makes it into the top fifteen? What a joke. I can't take this guy seriously. I love Peat, but there are a ton of massive reaches in this draft.

jjab360

Legend
I think Peat is a slightly better player than Scherff, but we don't need a LT and Scherff has way more versatility. Hard to say who I'd take in that situation.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I think Peat is a slightly better player than Scherff, but we don't need a LT and Scherff has way more versatility. Hard to say who I'd take in that situation.

Scherff, to me, profiles as only a right guard. He can't play tackle under any circumstance, and I don't think he has enough athleticism to even be a decent left guard. Hell, I don't even know if he'll be an All-Pro at right guard.

Peat can at least play either tackle position. And Collins and Clemmings definitely look like elite guards at the very least. I'd be quite fine with any one of those three.

Last edited:

Athos

Legend
None of these experts seem to really follow what the Rams actually need. :palm:

paceram

Pro Bowler
I'm a fan of Peat and one thing for sure, it won't take him look to understand the playbook regardless if Frank Cignetti simplifies it or not because he's a Stanford man!

Coach - Who would you pick between Peat and Scherff? And, can you tell me who your top 5 Offensive Linemen are in this Draft? Thanks!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Coach - Who would you pick between Peat and Scherff? And, can you tell me who your top 5 Offensive Linemen are in this Draft? Thanks!

It all depends on what the Rams want when it comes down to Peat and Scherff? I concur with @jrry32 that Scherff will be better inside than outside so if the Rams resign Barksdale I would go with Scherff. However, IMO, the Rams will let Barksdale go sign an experience Guard in free agency and move Saffold back to RG thus making the draft choice a tackle and I like Peat over Clemmings because he could slide over to LT if something happens.

I would rank the tackles this way:
  1. Peat
  2. Clemmings
  3. Scherff
  4. Flowers
  5. Collins
Again not sure if Scherff could handle the edge at RT, but would be an instant success at Guard. I am hoping the Rams solve two positions on the OL in free agency with C and LG or resign Barksdale.

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kirwan does know the Rams, just as he knows all NFL teams....he's on top of things. The reason he projects Peat to the Rams is he has doubts as to whether Robinson will work out at LT. Yes Robinson was a rookie with minimal college experience, but he struggled a lot. There is no guarantee that he will develop into a good LT. We all hope he will, but it's not like Robinson erased any doubt about his future last season. Kirwan is not a Rams fan, but an NFL analyst not caught up in fan wishful thinking. The fact that Kirwan may have doubts about Robinson at LT disturbs me because I respect him a lot and it would be crushing to the Rams if he is right.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Kirwan does know the Rams, just as he knows all NFL teams....he's on top of things. The reason he projects Peat to the Rams is he has doubts as to whether Robinson will work out at LT. Yes Robinson was a rookie with minimal college experience, but he struggled a lot. There is no guarantee that he will develop into a good LT. We all hope he will, but it's not like Robinson erased any doubt about his future last season. Kirwan is not a Rams fan, but an NFL analyst not caught up in fan wishful thinking. The fact that Kirwan may have doubts about Robinson at LT disturbs me because I respect him a lot and it would be crushing to the Rams if he is right.

Kirwan doesn't seem to realize that Robinson came out as a redshirt-sophomore. Of course the kid's going to struggle in his first year; who wouldn't? Pace, Roaf, Ogden, Jones, none of them set the world on fire in their first year, and Ogden is the only other player in that category who had to learn two positions as well. Also, Ogden didn't have to learn two entirely new positions coming out of a gimmick offense. Is Robinson raw? Yes. But he has all the potential in the world to make it to Canton on the first ballot. Nobody else in this draft class - Leonard Williams aside - comes even remotely close to that sort of ceiling.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Kirwan does know the Rams, just as he knows all NFL teams....he's on top of things.

Not so sure about this @RamBill, IMO, Kirwan was communicating more about the injury to Jake Long than the struggles of Greg Robinson. IMO, GROB was not that bad, he had his ups and downs, however, there was more bright spots than issues. He has Peat going to the Rams because he feels they will lose two tackles in Long & Barksdale and thus a need at tackle.

If the Rams draft Peat barring injury I don't see Peat as the LT I see him as the RT with the ability to slide over if an injury happens.

paceram

Pro Bowler
It all depends on what the Rams want when it comes down to Peat and Scherff? I concur with @jrry32 that Scherff will be better inside than outside so if the Rams resign Barksdale I would go with Scherff. However, IMO, the Rams will let Barksdale go sign an experience Guard in free agency and move Saffold back to RG thus making the draft choice a tackle and I like Peat over Clemmings because he could slide over to LT if something happens.

I would rank the tackles this way:
  1. Peat
  2. Clemmings
  3. Scherff
  4. Flowers
  5. Collins
Again not sure if Scherff could handle the edge at RT, but would be an instant success at Guard. I am hoping the Rams solve two positions on the OL in free agency with C and LG or resign Barksdale.

Hopefully, the Rams will end up with one of those players you mentioned above before the end or round one!

thehammer

Rookie
IMO Robinson will be an average nfl LT..that's his ceiling BUT all pro guard with hof potential...big difference

what I see when I watch him play is a powerful big guy lacking the natural feet, elite quickness ever to be anything special at LT...went as far back as 2005 looking for top LT's with Robinson mediocre short shuttle and 3 cone times...just ain't any..Saffold had better short times then Robinson

Peat is a natural LT...personally I'd love to resign Barksdale, draft Peat to play LT and slide Robinson over to his natural and best position...and yes Kirwan was a nfl scout and does know football and the rams needs

just add maybe 15 players with 1st rd grades in this draft...Peat being one...all mocks look crazy after the 15tth pick this year...maybe 30-40 players with 2nd rd grades and the real draft will be crazy after 15...any of those 30-40 might go in 1st

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IMO Robinson will be an average nfl LT..that's his ceiling BUT all pro guard with hof potential...big difference

what I see when I watch him play is a powerful big guy lacking the natural feet, elite quickness ever to be anything special at LT...went as far back as 2005 looking for top LT's with Robinson mediocre short shuttle and 3 cone times...just ain't any..Saffold had better short times then Robinson

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119344&draftyear=2014&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=26953&draftyear=2004&genpos=TE
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82756&draftyear=2012&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57318&draftyear=2009&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=12696&draftyear=2007&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=17011&draftyear=2006&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=17131&draftyear=2006&genpos=OT

That gives you a list of JOE THOMAS, Cordy Glenn, Eugene Monroe, Jason Peters, Marcus McNeill, and Andrew Whitworth.

Admittedly, I don't like PFF's grading system but just saying that the #1, #2, and #3 ranked LTs in 2014 were Jason Peters, Andrew Whitworth, and Joe Thomas.

And I can certainly say that I believe all three are top LTs in the NFL without considering what PFF's subjective rankings say.

I don't think it's fair to look at Robinson's short shuttle and 3 cone drill in a vacuum. There's a LARGE difference between the OTs that play in the 300 to 320 range and the OTs that play in the 330 to 350 range. It's just not fair to the bigger guys to try to compare them in that drill to the smaller guys.

When you look at Robinson and compare him to the big guys...the Whitworth's, Glenn's, Peters's, McNeill's, Loadholt's, Anthony Davis's, Andre Smith's, D.J. Fluker's, etc. of the world...he compares very favorably to those guys in those measurements.

And plenty of those type of players have made LTs and RTs in the NFL. As we still see today.

It's not surprising that 6'6" 310 pound Jake Matthews is going to post better numbers in those drills than 6'5" 335 pound Greg Robinson. Robinson has significantly more weight he has to move.

I gotta disagree with you on his feet and his ceiling. His feet and quickness aren't an issue. My only concern with him is upstairs. If his mind catches up to his body, Robinson can be as good as any OT in this league. He has the same type of physical skill-set as Jason Peters...with even more raw power and that's scary to think about.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I think a mock is better served trying to predict what Fisher/Snead will likely draft, not who the person making the mock thinks they should draft. Fisher is on record declaring Robinson's the guy at LT. Either Kirwan doesn't know that or doesn't believe that. The former suggests Kirwan's not fully researched, the latter suggests he's being duplicitous in his wording -- he should flat out say "Robinson may not be good enough for LT so they should draft one again" not the b.s. about "LT an issue with because of injuries to Jake Long".

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If Robinson is forced to Guard, makes a pro bowl, is consistent, creates running holes, doesn't make too many mistakes and starts there for us for the next 10 years no one will care that he was drafted #2 overall to be a franchise LT.

If the Rams feel that Peat is the best offensive lineman available at #10 and they want to address it then i say go for it. Taking Peat won't hinder Robinson's development or create a logjam. Our OLine is in a rebuilding mode. Get talent and let it fall into place as it may.

thehammer

Rookie
Kirw
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119344&draftyear=2014&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=26953&draftyear=2004&genpos=TE
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=82756&draftyear=2012&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=57318&draftyear=2009&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=12696&draftyear=2007&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=17011&draftyear=2006&genpos=OT
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=17131&draftyear=2006&genpos=OT

That gives you a list of JOE THOMAS, Cordy Glenn, Eugene Monroe, Jason Peters, Marcus McNeill, and Andrew Whitworth.

Admittedly, I don't like PFF's grading system but just saying that the #1, #2, and #3 ranked LTs in 2014 were Jason Peters, Andrew Whitworth, and Joe Thomas.

And I can certainly say that I believe all three are top LTs in the NFL without considering what PFF's subjective rankings say.

I don't think it's fair to look at Robinson's short shuttle and 3 cone drill in a vacuum. There's a LARGE difference between the OTs that play in the 300 to 320 range and the OTs that play in the 330 to 350 range. It's just not fair to the bigger guys to try to compare them in that drill to the smaller guys.

When you look at Robinson and compare him to the big guys...the Whitworth's, Glenn's, Peters's, McNeill's, Loadholt's, Anthony Davis's, Andre Smith's, D.J. Fluker's, etc. of the world...he compares very favorably to those guys in those measurements.

And plenty of those type of players have made LTs and RTs in the NFL. As we still see today.

It's not surprising that 6'6" 310 pound Jake Matthews is going to post better numbers in those drills than 6'5" 335 pound Greg Robinson. Robinson has significantly more weight he has to move.

I gotta disagree with you on his feet and his ceiling. His feet and quickness aren't an issue. My only concern with him is upstairs. If his mind catches up to his body, Robinson can be as good as any OT in this league. He has the same type of physical skill-set as Jason Peters...with even more raw power and that's scary to think about.

Robinson compares favorably to DJ Fluker? Phil Loadholt? Andre Smith? OK....good point you win.........

those 330 lb ot's by and large either play rt or struggle in pass blocking as lt...slow feet matter. 3 cone and short shuttle times matter. Like I said avg lt or all pro guard...that you had to go all the way back to 2004 for Peters and 2005 for Whitworth proves my point..outliers are the exception not the rule. Joe Thomas was the 5th rated OT his rookie year per pff while Robinson was ranked 78th out of 84 per pff..awful. Rams coaches mentioned D'Brickashaw Ferguson as a comparison..Ferguson struggled for almost 2 years and has had more mediocre seasons then good ones. I don't know about anyone else but that Ferguson comparison bothered me....one they admitted he struggled and secondly admitted it might take 2/3 years before he becomes decent....

those 330 lt's with mediocre short shuttle and 3 cone are rare and becoming rarer....in todays NFL elite feet matter and great short times are the rule ..teams are drafting players like Tyron Smith, Lane Johnson, Vollmer, Duane Brown high for a reason

IMO lot of former nfl scouts are mocking lt's to the rams for a reason and it isn't because of Barksdale..he can be easily resigned. Kirwan, a former scout, even said Peat was a "classic LT"......obviously he also has concerns about Robinson as a lt..

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Kirwan never mentions Robinson, so that leads me to believe that he lacks information. Robinson is the Rams OLT. If Kirwan thinks GRob should move back to Guard or ORT, he should state it as the reason he believes the Rams need an OLT.

I think he is uninformed in this case.

Also I don't think Andrus Peat is the type of OLT Fisher would be looking for. Would he choose Peat over Robinson? Peat is not a road grader and looks a bit light on the field. I keep thinking Solder when I see him.

I have never been a big fan of Kirwans work anyhow. There are better and more thorough mockery out there. Just because a gut is a former scout. Doesn't mean he was a very good one.