Kiper: Cooper a 'steal' in fourth round

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
http://www.greenvilleonline.com/sto...h-cooper-los-angeles-rams-nfl-draft/83842596/

Kiper: Cooper a 'steal' in fourth round
Willie T. Smith III, wtsmith@greenvillenews.com 5:52 p.m. EDT May 2, 2016
635516638969696411-USATSI-8205524.jpg

(Photo: Kim Klement-USA TODAY Sports)

101 CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE
COLUMBIA – Many were surprised South Carolina wide receiver Pharoh Cooper lasted until the fourth round before getting selected by the Los Angeles Rams in the 2016 NFL draft.

Count ESPN draft analysts Mel Kiper and Todd McShay among that group.

“I’m surprised he lasted until the fourth round,” said Kiper during a Monday afternoon conference call. “Measurables were never going to work in his favor. He is not a workout warrior. He’s a football player.

“He’s just a tough kid. He blocks, he catches in traffic. He does all the things – he’ll go get the football down the field. He’ll do everything you want. He’ll battle into double coverage for the football.”

It appears the biggest reason Cooper, a two-time All-Southeastern Conference selection, is his lack of blazing speed. He ran 40-yard dash times of 4.61 and 4.69 at USC’s Pro Day.

“I like the quickness,” said McShay. “He’s not a top-end speed guy. He didn’t run very well at his pro day. I know he was disappointed with that.

“I didn’t see great speed on tape, but that doesn’t mean he is not a good player. He shows a lot of toughness, does a really good job for his size going up and getting the football in the air, competing for the ball in the air.”

Cooper is probably slated to play in the slot, a position he consistently lined up in for USC. That will also test his toughness.

“I think he’s got a chance to contribute,” said McShay. “I like him as a slot receiver, a guy who will do the dirty work across the middle of the field.”

Kiper believes Cooper has the ability to do whatever is necessary to make a positive contribution.

“I don’t know what he’s lacking,” said Kiper. “I understand the measurable aren’t that favorable. But, to get him in the fourth round for (Rams first round pick, quarterback) Jared Goff and also get (tight end) Tyler Higbee and (wide receiver) Michael Thomas. They did a nice job bringing in some pass catching options.

“But I think Cooper will be a steal in the fourth round. There were some player I didn’t even think were even close to him, in terms of grade and ability that went higher.”

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/ar...r-offers/64a445d7-ee90-4521-bda3-cb150a917fdc

South Carolina WR Pharoh Cooper is a wideout that lined up all over the field in college and offers versatility as a probable day two selection.

pharoh-cooper-story.jpg

Building a team is never a one-piece puzzle. Filling the holes for any roster starts usually in the NFL draft. The Buffalo Bills need depth in the supporting cast of wide receivers. After trading up to get Sammy Watkins fourth overall, the Bills may aim for Pharoh Cooper to add to its receiving corps.

The 5-11 wide receiver out of South Carolina showed the versatility in college to line up almost anywhere prompting comparisons to Green Bay receiver Randall Cobb. At his pro day, he ran a 4.52 40-yard dash and had a 31-inch vertical. His speed and hands add up to being a threat that could translate to the NFL.

“I think Pharoh Cooper is a really interesting guy with the ball in his hands…,” NFL.com’s Mike Mayock said. “I think he’s a name that you’ll probably hear in the second round.”

The Bills have the 49th overall pick in the second round and that could be in the area of where Cooper may fall.

Cooper’s experience at the college level will help his draft stock. Under Steve Spurrier and Shawn Elliott, Cooper had two years as a marquee receiver. In his sophomore and junior seasons, he had his hands on the ball more often than not. In the 2015 season, he tallied up more receiving yards than the rest of the Gamecock’s receiving corps combined.

His relationship with Spurrier helped his development as a player and person. Cooper didn’t know all too much about the 10-year coach for South Carolina before joining the team.

“It was great playing under coach Spurrier,” Cooper said at the NFL combine. “Coming out of high school I didn’t know much about him. Once I got to South Carolina, I kind of started figuring out that he won the Heisman, and how great of a coach he was, just hearing about it. Some of the stuff he said, just practice hard – practice is going to translate to the game, so just practice hard.”

What makes Cooper different than most receivers is his size. All 203-pounds of him is what gets him across the middle of the field and lets him take a hit. That’ll be needed as his game is centered around being in the slot and attacking “in the seam routes.”

RELATED: Drafting a QB likely for the Bills, but when?

“Being that I’m 200-plus, I’m used to going across the middle and taking big hits from the linebackers,” Cooper said. “Getting around linebackers in the seam routes … Just quickness and vision. Just doing it for the last three years has helped me. And … being just tough, moving me around and going in motion… And when the hits come, still making the catch.”

The route he took to become a wide receiver was not the norm. Cooper was initially covering receivers out of high school and South Carolina, at the time, didn’t have a need for any new corners.

“Coach Spurrier wanted me on offense, but I wanted to try DB first,” Cooper said. “About a week and a half into camp, I wasn’t getting any reps at DB. I was like third string, still catching punts every day. Coach Spurrier came up to me and said, ‘I’m gonna try to put you on offense. The DB coaches said you probably won’t get no playing time this year.’ I said, ‘Okay.’ I went to offense the next day and just went from there.”

Off the field, Cooper is well defined and has molded mannerisms through his family’s military background. When young prospects come from a disciplined and reliable background it gives NFL talent evaluators more peace of mind about the kind of player they’re getting.

“You can’t go wrong with Cooper,” ESPN NFL draft analyst Todd McShay said. “His father and grandfather were both Marines, his brother is a Marine. He comes from a disciplined household.”

Towards the second and third round in the NFL draft, many of the “top” receivers could be gone. Yet, Cooper could be an acquisition that still sitting there and has the skill set to help an offense sooner rather than later. And if it doesn’t go well he can join the Bills defense.

Psycho_X

Legend
I like the Cooper pick and think he'll make a great slot receiver but I also heard the same type of things about Austin Pettis that I'm hearing about Cooper. I hope Cooper has more staying power. All though they shared around the same top end speed it seems like Cooper has quicker feet for cuts from what I've seen so hoping that translates to the NFL better. Should help with temporary separation which Pettis could never do.

Higbee will be the steal of the draft if he stays out of jail and subsequently stays away from suspension which Goodell will throw out even if he isn't convicted of anything if he's feeling a lack of power one day.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I've always pictured Tavon as my ultimate slot wr...short area quickness...I also like TE's in the slot as well....I always overlook wrs that run 4.6....Just something I got from balling. If he's tough enough, I'm pulling for him...Hard to make pro's miss running that slow...Wonder what was his 3 cone time?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
:rant:That Marshall Faulk was pudgy and has horrible muscle tone. I knew he was going to be a bust too.