Kevin White - WR - WVU

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll take the Bama stats (y)...OU & Baylor....not so much...so he's a lil different that Cooper in that way...Who faces elite NFL type comp week in, week out....

Cannot disagree more. I am going to have degrees from two different SEC schools in a few years and I think that's a totally bogus argument. First of all, Oklahoma and Baylor are as good or better than over half the teams in the SEC. Second of all, Cooper does not play elite talent week in and week out. Third of all, Kevin White went up against Zack Sanchez(one of CFB's best CBs) on Oklahoma and Xavien Howard(highly thought of in the draftnik community) on Baylor.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I don't understand this. The Big 12 is a pass happy conference, therefor corners are at a premium and teams recruit them. If your argument is that the SEC has better defenses then defend his numbers against Bama.

By the way in addition to coming back to the QB when needed, as someone else pointed out, he is TREMENDOUS at going up and out competing DBs for the ball.

Depending on his combine 40 time I think he'll go in the first round.

Since this is a WVU thread, I'll take this opportunity to ask about Karl Joseph. I really like the kid and think he fits a need at FS for us.

Is he coming out this draft and where do you think he'll land in the draft if he does come out? I'm saying this because I don't think we'll use a 1st rounder on a FS. I'm not sure we'll use a pick on one at all, but I think if we can get Joseph in the 2nd or later, it might be a possibility.

Joseph is a tremendous hitter but not necessarily a great cover guy. I doubt he'll come out early. As for draft, I'm not really sure, he'll have another year to develop.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'll take the Bama stats (y)...OU & Baylor....not so much...so he's a lil different that Cooper in that way...Who faces elite NFL type comp week in, week out....

I just disproved this myth. There's no quantifiable proof of more WRs from the SEC transitioning well to the NFL than WRs from the Big 12. And Baylor has sent quite a few good ones lately in Gordon, Wright, and Williams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I love debates, lets begin.....
I don't understand this. The Big 12 is a pass happy conference, therefor corners are at a premium and teams recruit them. If your argument is that the SEC has better defenses then defend his numbers against Bama.
Does Pass happy mean good defense? Besides the guy named Sanchez, whom do you consider premium at the defensive back position in the Big 12? It is well known the SEC sends more players to the pros every single year...this is a fact, and has been this way for some time...I'ma Pac-12 guy, so not a homer...On the average play there is more talent and speed on the field in the SEC....Not sure about the Bama game for WVU, but I'd be curious about the final score, and when he accumulated the yards/stats...Just because you recruit a player, doesn't mean you didn't want a better player, that probably went to an SEC school.

First of all, Oklahoma and Baylor are as good or better than over half the teams in the SEC.
Stop it Jrry32, stop it....TCU is the best team in the conference...A&M and Missouri are mad they left the Big-12...Vandy or Tennessee would win the Big-12

I just disproved this myth. There's no quantifiable proof of more WRs from the SEC transitioning well to the NFL than WRs from the Big 12. And Baylor has sent quite a few good ones lately in Gordon, Wright, and Williams.
I feel you, they have sent some great players...Baylor does have some serious pro talent...So does OU...and I like White, but this is his breakout year, and some of the players the OP suggested he's better than have been doing this superstar thing for a little longer....His 40 time will be key....Cooper's 40 time is not in question...Neither is DGB's...because they were running away from SEC talent week in, week out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love debates, lets begin.....

Does Pass happy mean good defense? Besides the guy named Sanchez, whom do you consider premium at the defensive back position in the Big 12? It is well known the SEC sends more players to the pros every single year...this is a fact, and has been this way for some time...I'ma Pac-12 guy, so not a homer...On the average play there is more talent and speed on the field in the SEC....Not sure about the Bama game for WVU, but I'd be curious about the final score, and when he accumulated the yards/stats...Just because you recruit a player, doesn't mean you didn't want a better player, that probably went to an SEC school.

The final score was 33-23. White scored his TD in the 2nd quarter to make it a 10-10 game. His stats din't come in garbage time. He was having his way with Alabama well before that.

As far as DBs go, you have to remember that the Big 12 had Justin Gilbert and Jason Verrett go in the 1st round last year, right? The SEC didn't have a CB drafted until the 4th round. There's no doubting the SEC's defensive talent but the Big 12 is not the Sunbelt Conference. They're very arguably the 2nd or 3rd best conference in college football.

As far as CBs go, you have Zack Sanchez, Xavien Howard, Quandre Diggs, Kevin White(TCU), Julian Wilson, Kevin Peterson, Daryl Worley, etc. How many of these guys are "premium"? Depends on your definition.

Stop it Jrry32, stop it....TCU is the best team in the conference...A&M and Missouri are mad they left the Big-12...Vandy or Tennessee would win the Big-12

You're crazy, man. BAYLOR BEAT TCU!
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400547868

Baylor and Oklahoma are better than ANY team in the SEC East(except possibly Georgia). The West would be interesting but both would easily finish in the top half of the SEC.

You might be a Pac-12 guy but you're biased. I'm a SEC GUY and I'm telling you that you're way off here.

These are the teams that I'd rank above Baylor and Oklahoma in the SEC:
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

That's it.

Vandy or Tennessee would win the Big 12? That's laughable. Have you actually watched either team? Vandy is atrocious. They lost 37 to 7 to Temple.

I feel you, they have sent some great players...Baylor does have some serious pro talent...So does OU...and I like White, but this is his breakout year, and some of the players the OP suggested he's better than have been doing this superstar thing for a little longer....His 40 time will be key....Cooper's 40 time is not in question...Neither is DGB's...because they were running away from SEC talent week in, week out.

Who cares? It's not about who did it longer. College stats are irrelevant when you get to the NFL. It's about who the better player is.

His 40 time means nothing to me. I've seen him run past players on Alabama, Baylor, Oklahoma, Maryland, etc. Players that will be playing in the NFL one day. The guy on Baylor that he torched, Xavien Howard, is 6'2" 200 with a 4.48 40. The guy on Oklahoma that he torched, Zack Sanchez, is the #3 rated CB for the 2017 CB class behind only Vernon Hargreaves and Kendall Fuller. He's rated above Jalen Ramsey and Rashard Robinson.

And FINALLY, the guy on Alabama that Kevin White lit up, Bradley Sylve, was a state track champion running a 10.18 100 meter dash in high school and is faster than Amari Cooper in the 40(reportedly runs in the 4.2 to 4.3 range). So no, I don't have any questions about White's speed. He's torched multiple NFL talents at CB.

Very well argued!

The final score was 33-23. White scored his TD in the 2nd quarter to make it a 10-10 game. His stats din't come in garbage time. He was having his way with Alabama well before that.

As far as DBs go, you have to remember that the Big 12 had Justin Gilbert and Jason Verrett go in the 1st round last year, right? The SEC didn't have a CB drafted until the 4th round. There's no doubting the SEC's defensive talent but the Big 12 is not the Sunbelt Conference. They're very arguably the 2nd or 3rd best conference in college football.

As far as CBs go, you have Zack Sanchez, Xavien Howard, Quandre Diggs, Kevin White(TCU), Julian Wilson, Kevin Peterson, Daryl Worley, etc. How many of these guys are "premium"? Depends on your definition.

You're crazy, man. BAYLOR BEAT TCU!
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=400547868

Baylor and Oklahoma are better than ANY team in the SEC East(except possibly Georgia). The West would be interesting but both would easily finish in the top half of the SEC.

You might be a Pac-12 guy but you're biased. I'm a SEC GUY and I'm telling you that you're way off here.

These are the teams that I'd rank above Baylor and Oklahoma in the SEC:
Alabama
Auburn
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

That's it.

Vandy or Tennessee would win the Big 12? That's laughable. Have you actually watched either team? Vandy is atrocious. They lost 37 to 7 to Temple.

Who cares? It's not about who did it longer. College stats are irrelevant when you get to the NFL. It's about who the better player is.

His 40 time means nothing to me. I've seen him run past players on Alabama, Baylor, Oklahoma, Maryland, etc. Players that will be playing in the NFL one day. The guy on Baylor that he torched, Xavien Howard, is 6'2" 200 with a 4.48 40. The guy on Oklahoma that he torched, Zack Sanchez, is the #3 rated CB for the 2017 CB class behind only Vernon Hargreaves and Kendall Fuller. He's rated above Jalen Ramsey and Rashard Robinson.

And FINALLY, the guy on Alabama that Kevin White lit up, Bradley Sylve, was a state track champion running a 10.18 100 meter dash in high school and is faster than Amari Cooper in the 40(reportedly runs in the 4.2 to 4.3 range). So no, I don't have any questions about White's speed. He's torched multiple NFL talents at CB.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@jrry32

Well said...lets see where he goes...I still think he's probably the 4th or 5th best wr in college football that's coming out...and one of them isn't even playing this year....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@jrry32

Well said...lets see where he goes...I still think he's probably the 4th or 5th best wr in college football that's coming out...and one of them isn't even playing this year....

If DGB had played this year, he certainly should have been #1. But you can only go off of the film he has put out and must take into account the fact that he was dismissed from Mizzou. His film from 2013 and 2012 is not consistent enough to establish him as a better WR than White or Cooper.

Is that fair? No. Had he played this year, he likely could have established that. But it's his own fault and I can't evaluate what isn't there.

However, Kevin White is undoubtedly the #1 or #2 WR in this class for me. Amari Cooper is #1 or #2. DGB is #3 for me. I think Devin Funchess would be a more dominant player at TE.

I, personally, rate White at #1 although Cooper is a top tier prospect in his own right. I am really big on hands when it comes to WRs and the ability to win contested balls. White has those two attributes for days.

Calling him the 4th or 5th best WR in CFB is seriously underrating him. His skill-set is extraordinarily well rounded and he's an impressive athlete for a 6'3" WR. When you put those two things together with how great his hands are and his ability in traffic...I just don't see how you can call him anything but the #1 or #2 WR prospect in this draft.

I had Alshon rated as a top 10 pick back in the day. Kevin White is very similar to Alshon at his proper playing weight...except White has the burst and suddenness that Alshon doesn't have.(although Alshon was a more physical player while the ball was in the air)

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I still think he's probably the 4th or 5th best wr in college football that's coming out

I'll give you DGB. From a pure talent and physical specimen standpoint, best prospect at WR since Megatron. White, at worst, is tied with Cooper.

So who are the better prospects? Stone hands Funchess?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If DGB had played this year, he certainly should have been #1. But you can only go off of the film he has put out and must take into account the fact that he was dismissed from Mizzou. His film from 2013 and 2012 is not consistent enough to establish him as a better WR than White or Cooper.

Is that fair? No. Had he played this year, he likely could have established that. But it's his own fault and I can't evaluate what isn't there.

However, Kevin White is undoubtedly the #1 or #2 WR in this class for me. Amari Cooper is #1 or #2. DGB is #3 for me. I think Devin Funchess would be a more dominant player at TE.

I, personally, rate White at #1 although Cooper is a top tier prospect in his own right. I am really big on hands when it comes to WRs and the ability to win contested balls. White has those two attributes for days.

Calling him the 4th or 5th best WR in CFB is seriously underrating him. His skill-set is extraordinarily well rounded and he's an impressive athlete for a 6'3" WR. When you put those two things together with how great his hands are and his ability in traffic...I just don't see how you can call him anything but the #1 or #2 WR prospect in this draft.

I had Alshon rated as a top 10 pick back in the day. Kevin White is very similar to Alshon at his proper playing weight...except White has the burst and suddenness that Alshon doesn't have.(although Alshon was a more physical player while the ball was in the air)

DGB is far from number one on my list, even when he did play. In my opinion, he's still very raw in on the mental side of the game. He'll only win on athleticism for so long. Add in his significant problems off-the-field, and I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.

Kevin White, Amari Cooper, and Rashad Greene rank as my top three receivers at the moment, and I'd be fine with any of them. Funchess is a tight end, in my honest opinion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DGB is far from number one on my list, even when he did play. In my opinion, he's still very raw in on the mental side of the game. He'll only win on athleticism for so long. Add in his significant problems off-the-field, and I wouldn't touch him with a ten-foot pole.

Kevin White, Amari Cooper, and Rashad Greene rank as my top three receivers at the moment, and I'd be fine with any of them. Funchess is a tight end, in my honest opinion.

I agree on Funchess. I somewhat agree on DGB but I'd take the risk. Like with Janoris, if you can get him right, he could be unstoppable.

I am very high on Rashad Greene but I'd rate him below DeVante Parker. Still a lot of players I haven't evaluated.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Cooper, DGB, Ty Montgomery, and for yall, since he's so hot, I'll call it a tie out of these (Strong/Funchess/Agholor/Coates/White)...I like physical freaks with upside....I'm not looking for a great college player, but a great PRO player.....Funchess can play a bit...put him in a passing system with a decent QB....and he's still a wr until he gains 30 more pounds....

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I agree on Funchess. I somewhat agree on DGB but I'd take the risk. Like with Janoris, if you can get him right, he could be unstoppable.

I am very high on Rashad Greene but I'd rate him below DeVante Parker. Still a lot of players I haven't evaluated.

As a die-hard Mizzou fan, and a fan of DGB when he committed to Mizzou, the kid has done everything in his power to sour my opinion on him. He has much more significant drug problems than Jenkins (possession of crack-cocaine), he has at least three DUI's, and he pushed his girlfriend down the stairs.

No way I'd take a chance on him. If Gary Pinkel, a highly respected, no-nonsense coach, couldn't knock sense into DGB, nobody can.

Also, if you're getting into players that you haven't evaluated yet, particularly wide receivers, there's an intriguing late-round prospect out of UNLV named Devante Davis. 6'3", 215, 4.5 speed, and has a ton of production.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Cooper, DGB, Ty Montgomery, and for yall, since he's so hot, I'll call it a tie out of these (Strong/Funchess/Agholor/Coates/White)...I like physical freaks with upside....I'm not looking for a great college player, but a great PRO player.....Funchess can play a bit...put him in a passing system with a decent QB....and he's still a wr until he gains 30 more pounds....

I am not drawn to physical freaks. Gotta be a football player first and foremost. Especially at WR. Montgomery, Coates, and Agholor aren't worth mentioning in the same breath as White.

Funchess's fundamentals are atrocious at WR and I question his separation skills outside. He's much more of a mismatch at TE than he is at WR imo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Also, if you're getting into players that you haven't evaluated yet, particularly wide receivers, there's an intriguing late-round prospect out of UNLV named Devante Davis. 6'3", 215, 4.5 speed, and has a ton of production.
Do you mean Devante Boyd?

Edit: my bad....I tried to watch a UNLV game a couple weeks ago, it was either Thursday or Friday night...It was tough...
I've been trying to catch the wr at Louisville....

Last edited: