Kendall Langford?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I never see anything about him. Everyone talks about the D-Line and how good they and everyone talks about how they have the Big 3 (guess who) but no one ever mentions him. I felt I hardly ever heard his name called out in games.... I think we could upgrade him and he is nothing special. Is it just my ignorance? I have yet to see a thread on here about him or a article somebody wrote.Seems like you have Long, Quinn, Brockers....blackhole you know? lol

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Langford.

Let's face it, playing on the dline is dirty work. Of all the positions, inside Dline and offensive guards are often doing a lot of heavy lifting but don't get the glory.

He's a healthy player and seems like a strong cultural fit. At 27yrs old, he's in his prime.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
After a rocky start, I thought he really started coming on in the second half of the season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Kendall had his work cut out for him last season when he was moved into a brand new position. He had been a successful 34 DE with Miami. The new position gave him more issues than was thought. On top of that his starting talented first round selection DT partner went down in the pre season game that caused Brockers to miss 3 complete games and most of another. It took until the bye for Brockers to be able to holds his own.

Kendall was starting next to a unknown DT in game one who had never started in the NFL & had missed the entire 2011 season with a back issue...CUDJO...so Kendall had some serious stuff happening all around him. The 4th DT UDFA Conrath had a bad knee injury in pre season & was out.

Kendall also hurt his shoulder in the third game but had to return to the field because the Rams did not have another healthy DT. Fisher was using a DE Eugene Sims who was 265 pounds thin as the third DT.

I would say all the above would have retarded any professional making such a change early in his pro career. Kendall was the Rams foundational player that held the middle of the DL early last season in that mess. Kendall was involved in many negative type postings on his play in many forums....Kendall was Fishers high prized UFA signing in 2012 & did sign a four-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $12 million guaranteed, including a $4 million signing bonus. 2013-2014: $5 million, 2015: $6 million,a big contract.

IMO Kendall held up his end of the 2012 season and will be a quite leader for yrs to come. Fisher likes tall DT's. Fisher has a 6-7, two 6-6- & a 6-5 in that middle.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
The great news about our D-line just keeps getting better and better. I'm thinking top 5 for sure. Wilson is gonna have a tough time throwing over them and Tree will keep him from going outside. I hope.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
BonifayRam said:
Kendall had his work cut out for him last season when he was moved into a brand new position. He had been a successful 34 DE with Miami. The new position gave him more issues than was thought. On top of that his starting talented first round selection DT partner went down in the pre season game that caused Brockers to miss 3 complete games and most of another. It took until the bye for Brockers to be able to holds his own.

Kendall was starting next to a unknown DT in game one who had never started in the NFL & had missed the entire 2011 season with a back issue...CUDJO...so Kendall had some serious stuff happening all around him. The 4th DT UDFA Conrath had a bad knee injury in pre season & was out.

Kendall also hurt his shoulder in the third game but had to return to the field because the Rams did not have another healthy DT. Fisher was using a DE Eugene Sims who was 265 pounds thin as the third DT.

I would say all the above would have retarded any professional making such a change early in his pro career. Kendall was the Rams foundational player that held the middle of the DL early last season in that mess. Kendall was involved in many negative type postings on his play in many forums....Kendall was Fishers high prized UFA signing in 2012 & did sign a four-year, $24 million contract. The deal contains $12 million guaranteed, including a $4 million signing bonus. 2013-2014: $5 million, 2015: $6 million,a big contract.

IMO Kendall held up his end of the 2012 season and will be a quite leader for yrs to come. Fisher likes tall DT's. Fisher has a 6-7, two 6-6- & a 6-5 in that middle.

Good post. Completely agree.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Langford has been a great asset for Brockers and I look for a stronger year for Langford going forward. Shooting the gaps and disrupting plays behind the LOS because Langford has to rely on this quickness being just a tad shy of 300lbs.

As posted above Fisher does utilize DE's as DT's, but that is more on passing downs and the depth at DT is not great because I'm still now sold on Matt Conrath hoping the Virginia product got much stronger in the offseason under S&C Coaches Gullickson & Bailey.

The reason Langford is the last of the four is because that is the guy Hayes replaces on third down in most cases, however, a healthy Langford will make the St. Louis Rams a better defense in 2013.

duckhunter

Starter
Langford may be the most underrated player on the Ram's roster. Line play is just not sexy to watch but indispensable for success. I don't recall seeing him overpowered. More finessed and doubled.

I really look for improvement from him and Brockers. The rams could be lights out on D if they start shutting down the middle.

A55VA6

Legend
He's underrated in my opinion. He's one of those guys that quietly does a good job.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
He is not a stat guy but he does his job well. Takes on blockers to free up JL and the LBs and he pushes the pocket in pass rush. He had a fine season last year.

Quick glancer fans wont notice his contributions but he had an impact, especially when Brockers got going. They both fed off each other inside.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BonifayRam said:

Good post. I'm a fan and obliviously and I watch Kendall as I do the rest of the team and maybe it's because no one really writes or talks about him with the others on the D-Line which is my ignorance. Kendall in no way comes off as our LG did last season for instance in game film.

RamShack

UDFA
Come on Ram Bros, this dude played pretty solid after the first couple of weeks of regular season play. He played DE at Miami, so the transition was a pretty solid one IMO.

nighttrain

Legend
BonifayRam said:

:plus1: good read BR
train

nighttrain

Legend
BonifayRam said:

:plus1: good read BR
train

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I like Langford, he isn't a big name like the rest so he gets left out. But he doesn't get pushed around out there and is stout. I like it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is a good thread. I don't think Langford gets the write-ups maybe he should. It appears that what many of you are saying is that he's just a solid role player and solid role players don't make headlines. Every great team needs solid role players.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Our Dline is solid in my opinion, we addressed the line backer position, the corners are solid & we addressed the saftey positions. The only thing I'm worried about on our D is the safety position still. I think DS will be a solid starter but we have to see how the rookies we picked up plan out.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
With Long and Quinn on the outside, you don't need a crazy pass rush from your 3 tech DT, I'd say Langford has done the job he was signed to do. He and Brockers are going to be big on the run D this year as the team breaks in Ogletree and the safeties, and if last year is any indication he'll fill the role admirably.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
PrometheusFaulk said:
With Long and Quinn on the outside, you don't need a crazy pass rush from your 3 tech DT, I'd say Langford has done the job he was signed to do. He and Brockers are going to be big on the run D this year as the team breaks in Ogletree and the safeties, and if last year is any indication he'll fill the role admirably.
As long as someone can set the edge when we play these stupid hamster-like QBs, I'm good. Quinn and Long can collapse the pocket, and Brockers/Langford can make a push, but someone has to cover that C-gap run they'll inevitably break out when our corners are gobbling up their weakass receivers.