Jrry32 Yes, I Made Another Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Fisher firing has me super excited about all the possibilities. Plus, I have a lot of free time on my hands right now.
Hire
HC Todd Haley
OC Ken Whisenhunt
DC Dick Jauron
STC John Fassel

We bring in Haley to install the Erhardt-Perkins offense which is a great fit for Goff. Haley was previously a HC with the Chiefs. He had an up-and-down tenure which ultimately resulted in his firing. He was known for being arrogant there. Let's hope he learned from his failure. Haley offers some major benefits as a HC. The first is that he's a bright offensive mind who is known for working with QBs and running a QB friendly E-P offense. The second is that Haley is well-connected in the NFL. He came up under Bill Parcells but has connections to a number of staffs around the league. He should be able to pull an amazing coaching staff based on the guys he's worked with.

Our coordinators both previously worked with Haley. Actually, they both were head coaches of teams he worked for in his past. Whisenhunt comes over to join us after McCoy is fired in San Diego. Philip Rivers has done quite well under Whisenhunt as a OC. Whisenhunt has also gotten his second head coach shot and failed, so it'll be much tougher for him to get a third. That means stability for Goff. Dick Jauron is a guy who has been out of the spotlight for a few years. From what I understand, he stepped away from the game to take care of his sick wife. I wonder if he might be willing to come back. He was last a defensive coordinator with the Browns for two years. His first year in Cleveland, they ranked in the top 5 in the NFL in points allowed and top 10 in yards allowed. He'd be a heck of a get. If he's not able to return, Eric Mangini is another possible name to keep in mind.

Cut
HB Tre Mason
OG Rodger Saffold
C Tim Barnes
DE Eugene Sims

Re-sign
WR Kenny Britt - 3 years $21 million
K Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $6 million
HB Benny Cunningham - 3 years $6 million
DT Dominique Easley - RFA Tender
DE Matt Longacre - ERFA Tender

Let Walk
CB Trumaine Johnson (I like Trumaine, but there is a method to my madness.)
S T.J. McDonald (I like T.J., but Mo is a more natural fit at SS. Let's use the money we have elsewhere.)

Trade
Rams trade DE William Hayes
Giants trade Round 6 Pick #23

I like Hayes a lot, but he's always been tied to Fisher and his play has fallen off a bit this year. I'd see if I could trade him this off-season if we pull the FA DE I have later in this mock.

Position Changes
LaMarcus Joyner - CB -> FS

With Alexander moving to SS, Joyner moves to FS. I think it's his natural position. Joyner doesn't play well with his back to the ball. He's at his best attacking downhill. He has surprising strength for a guy his size. In college, he showed good range and no fear at FS. He will deliver knockout shots. Offers the same type of skill-set that McLeod did.

Free Agency
JPP-charges-fireworks-07-07-15.jpg

DE Jason Pierre-Paul - 5 years $55 million

I want to go back to the days where our pass rush singlehandedly dominated games. Quinn, JPP, Donald, and Brockers with Jones, Easley, and Longacre coming off the bench? Hell yes. JPP is still one of the best DEs in the game. This year, he moved to LDE with Vernon coming over from Miami and still looked great. Quinn and JPP on the edge with Donald and Brockers inside will be unfair for opposing QBs.

635501032339522441-bengals-9-2011_09_18.jpg

LT Andrew Whitworth - 2 years $18 million

We have to help Goff out. In this mock, Alshon Jeffery isn't available. We go after Whitworth to give Goff protection. Whitworth is a top 5 LT in the game, but he's also 35 years old. The Bengals need to retain OG Kevin Zeitler who is a FA. They already drafted Whitworth's replacement in Cedrick Ogbuehi. It makes sense for them to let Whitworth hit FA. We jump on the ability to sign a guy who can be a bridge at LT until we find his replacement. The added benefit to this FA signing is that if Greg Robinson shows significant improvement with the new coaching staff, Whitworth can slide inside and provides All Pro caliber play at OG.

6_3867208.png

LG Ronald Leary - 5 years $35 million

We need OL help. There were rumors that Dallas was trying to trade Leary before the season. With the injury to La'El Collins, Leary stepped back into his starting spot. He was also a starter on the dominant 2014 Cowboys OL. Leary is a mauling run blocker who has the versatility to play in either a ZBS or a PBS. He's an above average but not elite pass protector. Either ways, he's a huge upgrade on what we have.

24137636_BG1.jpg

SLCB Captain Munnerlyn - 3 years $15 million

No, Munnerlyn isn't a replacement for Tru. Instead, he allows us to shift Joyner to FS. That upgrades both FS and SLCB as Munnerlyn is one of the best slot CBs in the game.

9a805c8ab35eb0177f8588764f86e7f0.jpg.4023e42c0b14a04a10a806e431828966.jpg

WR Markus Wheaton - 1 year $3 million

I was a big fan of Wheaton when he was coming out of college. I still like the kid a lot. Pittsburgh's past few WRs who departed have done well elsewhere. We offer Wheaton a "prove it" deal with him missing almost the entire 2016 season with a shoulder injury. We also offer him a clear path to the #2 WR job. I think he's worth the chance. Wheaton comes in with knowledge of Haley's scheme.

Datonejones.jpg

DE Datone Jones - 1 year $1.5 million

Thus far, Jones has been a bust. We offer him a "prove it" deal with the opportunity to have a strong year on a very talented DL in a scheme that he better fits.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #7 - Ethan Pocic C/OG/OT LSU
Round 3 Pick #6 - Gareon Conley CB Ohio State
Round 4 Pick #7 - Ahkello Witherspoon CB Colorado
Round 4 Comp Pick - J.J. Dielman OT/OG/C Utah
Round 5 Pick #6 - Ryan Glasgow DT Michigan
Round 6 Pick #7 - Obi Melifonwu FS/SS Connecticut
Round 6 Pick #23 - Jeremy Cutrer CB Middle Tennessee State
Round 6 Comp Pick - Nick DeLuca LB North Dakota State
Round 7 Pick #6 - Mack Hollins WR North Carolina

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Kenny Britt
ZWR: Markus Wheaton vs. Tavon Austin vs. Mike Thomas
SLWR: Pharoh Cooper
TE: Tyler Higbee vs. Lance Kendricks
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Ronald Leary
C: Ethan Pocic
RG: Greg Robinson vs. Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Jason Pierre-Paul
NT: Michael Brockers
UT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Mark Barron
MLB: Alec Ogletree
LCB: E.J. Gaines vs. Ahkello Witherspoon
RCB: Gareon Conley vs. Ahkello Witherspoon
SLCB: Captain Munnerlyn
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: Maurice Alexander

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Benny Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

I recognize that there will be concern about the secondary. I completely understand it. However, I think our pass rush is able to compensate for it. I also picked the CBs I did with everything in mind (I am happy to explain if anyone is curious). I think JPP is a better DE than Tru is a CB and that DEs have a greater impact on the game. Thus, since we would have to pay a similar price for the two, I chose JPP over Tru.

Offensively, I did everything I could to ensure that Goff is protected and Gurley gets running lanes. I understand that I didn't do a ton to upgrade at WR, but I felt fixing the pass protection and run blocking was more important than WR this off-season. My plan in the future is to address WR. I just wanted to fix the OL first. I think winning in the trenches in more important. If Gurley can get running room, it'll start to put Goff in better situations (like 3rd and 3 instead of 3rd and 13).

I realize that some people will probably not like this mock because I changed so much. I totally understand. I do want to say that I think my philosophy is sound, though.

Also, if you're curious about any of the draft picks, I'm happy to give you a short summary of my initial observations on whomever. Don't hesitate to ask. (y)

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
In these mocks you bring in a new coaching staff and I like the potential of this one a lot. But who are you having run the front office I'm guessing still Snead?

As you said questions with the secondary, with 2 rookies prominent in the depth chart and EJ as our #1. Love the safety setup though. You think a DC like Jauron will keep Barron at LB or try to move him back though? I don't know enough about the man to offer much input on it.

I like the reworked line though imo there are as many questions about Havenstein as GRob.

Overall I'd like this to happen this off season. Haley isn't my first choice but you laid out good reasons to bring him in.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not a fan of this one because I don't really like Todd Haley and under no circumstances do I want Dick Jauron as the Defensive Coordinator. As to Haley I prefer different options, really had issues connecting with the players although he has served under one of the better Head Coaches and Ken Whisenhunt would be an excellent Offensive Coordinator.

I would not commit that much cash to Pierre-Paul because I still don't believe he can be that effective with one hand and although I applaud going with young Corners I feel the defense would take a major step backwards under this scenario and I'm quite sure Jauron has retired from football as he's 66 and I would rather go with a younger up and comer as a DC or a proven commodity.

I know @jrry32 you and I disagree about some defensive coordinators, however, Steve Spagnuolo and Gus Bradley are far better than Jauron IMO and again I understand you're putting together many different scenarios, but this mock would concern me for many different reasons.

FRO

Legend
I'm not sold on the receiving core, but it's going to be hard to improve it with the limit draft resources and various holes to fill. I think your mock showed how difficult it will be to fill the holes on this roster. The proposed secondary and receiving core look like trouble spots to me. Also if Quinn can't regain form there will be another hole.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
In this scenario I'd rather pay Alshon Jeffery than JPP, and just go after DE next year. Not sure how the money would work out there, but just my thoughts. Not sure on the coaching staff either, although Haley would definitely help fix our offense

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Holy shit. Just watched Witherspoon. No way this kid makes it to the 4th round. He pretty much shut down John Ross and has freakish size and athleticism.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I love the idea of installing the EP offense and think it would be a great fit for Goff. That being said, why didn't you go for Alshon Jeffrey in FA here as you did in your other mocks - do you not think he's a fit for that particular offense, or is it something else?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In this scenario I'd rather pay Alshon Jeffery than JPP, and just go after DE next year. Not sure how the money would work out there, but just my thoughts. Not sure on the coaching staff either, although Haley would definitely help fix our offense

I love the idea of installing the EP offense and think it would be a great fit for Goff. That being said, why didn't you go for Alshon Jeffrey in FA here as you did in your other mocks - do you not think he's a fit for that particular offense, or is it something else?

In this mock, Alshon Jeffery isn't available.

;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Holy crap. Just watched Witherspoon. No way this kid makes it to the 4th round. He pretty much shut down John Ross and has freakish size and athleticism.

Yea, he's a heck of a talent. Only reason he could fall to the 4th is due to the stacked CB class. But I think he's likely off the board in Round 3.

I'm not sold on the receiving core, but it's going to be hard to improve it with the limit draft resources and various holes to fill. I think your mock showed how difficult it will be to fill the holes on this roster. The proposed secondary and receiving core look like trouble spots to me. Also if Quinn can't regain form there will be another hole.

Unfortunately, like you said, we can't fill them all. I think the secondary has upside because they're young players. The WR corp is a huge question mark. I like Wheaton a lot. I'm hoping we get our own Manny Sanders. But he may prove to just be a decent WR. And we gotta hope Britt keeps playing well even after Fisher leaving and a new contract.

As for Quinn, I think it's less regaining form and more health. He's still giving us good play when he's on the field.

In these mocks you bring in a new coaching staff and I like the potential of this one a lot. But who are you having run the front office I'm guessing still Snead?

As you said questions with the secondary, with 2 rookies prominent in the depth chart and EJ as our #1. Love the safety setup though. You think a DC like Jauron will keep Barron at LB or try to move him back though? I don't know enough about the man to offer much input on it.

I like the reworked line though imo there are as many questions about Havenstein as GRob.

Overall I'd like this to happen this off season. Haley isn't my first choice but you laid out good reasons to bring him in.

In the mock, I'm running the FO. IRL, I'm cool with whatever they decide. Snead staying works for me. But I won't be crying if they decide to move on.

Havenstein did give up 0 sacks as a rookie and was a well-coached guy coming out of Wisconsin. I think things have just completely fallen apart this year. I think he'll do well with a new staff. We'll see.

As for Barron, due to his contract, I think we have to stick with him at LB next year. No reason to open another hole. That can change in the future if need be. I think he's played well this year at OLB for the most part.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Bills do fire Rex Ryan, I think Anthony Lynn would end up on Haley's staff as either OC or AHC/HB Coach. That would be very good news for us.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I am not a big Haley fan, but maybe he matured.

Simms is better than Longacre and it isn't close.

I would love the free agents, but letting Tru walk is a gamble. I know this is a deep change draft but Conley is a first rounder and Witherspoon is a second.

I would love to get Whitworth and Leary to bring some leadership to the OLine.

JPP would be a good pickup too, but I really wish they had signed Vernon last year. I wanted to draft him a few years ago.

Remember that this team moved to L.A. last Spring, when evaluating their drop off in play. I think it definitely had an affect. Hayes is a leader in the clubhouse, so I keep him, unless he is bitter about Fisher being let go and becomes a distraction.

I don't know how it would work with Tassel being retained. Can the Rams refuse to let him be interviewed? It would be great if he stayed put, but I would think every team in the league would be after him. I would love for Wauffle to stay as well.

FRO

Legend

I would love the free agents, but letting Tru walk is a gamble. I know this is a deep change draft but Conley is a first rounder and Witherspoon is a second.

JPP would be a good pickup too, but I really wish they had signed Vernon last year. I wanted to draft him a few years ago.

Remember that this team moved to L.A. last Spring, when evaluating their drop off in play. I think it definitely had an affect. Hayes is a leader in the clubhouse, so I keep him, unless he is bitter about Fisher being let go and becomes a distraction.

I don't know how it would work with Tassel being retained. Can the Rams refuse to let him be interviewed? It would be great if he stayed put, but I would think every team in the league would be after him. I would love for Wauffle to stay as well.
Fassel and Wauffle will be two very sought after coaches. Both would be huge losses. Best two coaches on the team.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Have you seen anything on Conor McDermott? UCLA's LT I remember seeing things on him before the season but haven't really looked into the players too much as of yet. Seemed early on like a mid round LT candidate.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I agree. But Longacre costs $615,000 (or something like that). Sims costs over $3 million.

Marlon Humphrey
Marshon Lattimore
Jalen Tabor
Quincy Wilson
Desmond King
Adoree Jackson
Jourdan Lewis
Cordrea Tankersley
TreDavious White
Cameron Sutton
Rasul Douglas
Kevin King
Chidobe Awuzie
Ahkello Witherspoon
Gareon Conley
Sidney Jones

A couple of these guys might return to school. However, some of these guys have to fall in the draft. When you look at the list, I think there will be some great options on the board in the 3rd round. I don't think Conley has the athleticism to get first round consideration.

Agree with all of this.

If we bring in JPP, I'd trade him for cap reasons.

If they're under contract, Rams can choose not to fire them until the new head coach makes a decision on them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I agree. But Longacre costs $615,000 (or something like that). Sims costs over $3 million.

Marlon Humphrey
Marshon Lattimore
Jalen Tabor
Quincy Wilson
Desmond King
Adoree Jackson
Jourdan Lewis
Cordrea Tankersley
TreDavious White
Cameron Sutton
Rasul Douglas
Kevin King
Chidobe Awuzie
Ahkello Witherspoon
Gareon Conley
Sidney Jones

A couple of these guys might return to school. However, some of these guys have to fall in the draft. When you look at the list, I think there will be some great options on the board in the 3rd round. I don't think Conley has the athleticism to get first round consideration.

Agree with all of this.

If we bring in JPP, I'd trade him for cap reasons.

If they're under contract, Rams can choose not to fire them until the new head coach makes a decision on them.

I have heard Conley mentioned as a first round pick for a few months. I am sure the combine will hash it out. If the Rams outcome away with at least one good corner from this draft Snead should be fired. It is so deep, that a first round caliber corner can be had in round 2. But in recent years the depth of certain positions has been widely ignored by Fisher and Snead.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have heard Conley mentioned as a first round pick for a few months. I am sure the combine will hash it out. If the Rams outcome away with at least one good corner from this draft Snead should be fired. It is so deep, that a first round caliber corner can be had in round 2. But in recent years the depth of certain positions has been widely ignored by Fisher and Snead.

Right now, it's really difficult to ascertain who will go where. Conley could go Round 1. It'll be interesting to see. I just think he'll post average numbers at the Combine, which likely drops him into the late 2nd/early 3rd range due to the depth of this class. Which is right into our laps.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fassel and Wauffle will be two very sought after coaches. Both would be huge losses. Best two coaches on the team.
But are they under contract for 2017? If so, the Rams don't have to allow them to interview elsewhere