Jrry32 Second Mock Off-Season - 1/21/18

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought I'd make a few changes from my first mock off-season in case the Rams decide not to re-sign all of our big names.
Cut
WR Tavon Austin
ILB Mark Barron

I don't see anyone trading us anything for Austin. Barron played well for us, but we can find a better fit for our scheme at a cheaper price.

Re-Sign/Extend

DT Aaron Donald
CB Nickell Robey-Coleman
S LaMarcus Joyner
S Cody Davis
C John Sullivan
DT Tyrunn Walker
CB Troy Hill
HB Malcolm Brown
OLB Matt Longacre
LS Jake McQuaide

As you can see, we bring back quite a few of our guys, but we let Sammy Watkins and Trumaine Johnson walk. Both guys end up with asking prices that are just too high.

Free Agency

WR Paul Richardson
CB Bashaud Breeland
CB Aqib Talib
ILB Todd Davis
OLB Trent Murphy

Richardson steps in and replaces Watkins in the deep-threat role. Like Robert Woods, I think his best football is ahead of him. He's still young, and he took major strides this year as a player. I think we can get him at a much cheaper price than Watkins for the same role. At the end of the day, we spread the ball around a lot, so we don't need an elite #1 WR.

Breeland steps in to replace Trumaine Johnson at a cheaper cost. He's also young and has been a bit inconsistent. At his best, he's shown Pro Bowl ability. At his worst, he's been toast. IMO, he was held back by Washington's litany of bad defensive coordinators (sorry, Coach Berry). This kid is a physical, press-man CB. I expect Wade to get the best out of him. It also helps that Breeland played for Aubrey Pleasant in Washington.

The Broncos are almost definitely going to cut Aqib Talib. He has a $12 million cap figure this year and cutting him would save $11 million. Talib will soon turn 32, but I think he still has good play left in him. I see us signing him to a one or two-year deal. He played for Wade in Denver and excelled in a major way. He's a knucklehead, but he also was one of the best CBs in the game under Wade.

Todd Davis started for Wade during his last year in Denver. Davis is a young, ascending player who fills a major need for us. Luckily, thumpers aren't that valued around the NFL. Davis is a great run-stuffing ILB, but he's a mediocre ILB in coverage. That's just fine for us. We need a thumper who can fill gaps.

Murphy is a guy we bring in on a "prove it" deal. He played for Joe Berry in Washington and had 9 sacks in 2016. However, Murphy was suspended four games for PED use in 2017 and then tore multiple ligaments in his knee in August of 2017. Murphy is familiar with coaches on our staff, sees a team that should contend, and sees a defense with a lot of pass rushers. He recognizes that this is a great opportunity for him to rehab his value to get a big contract in FA next year.

Is all of this possible in terms of cap dollars? Well, it'll be a tight squeeze, but Demoff is a wizard.

NFL Draft

Round 1 Pick #23 - Da'Ron Payne NT Alabama
Round 3 Pick #23 - Josh Sweat OLB Florida State
Round 4 Pick #23 - Greg Senat OT Wagner
Round 5 Pick #23 - P.J. Hall DT Sam Houston State
Round 6 Pick #20 - Kalen Ballage HB Arizona State
Round 6 Pick #21 - Cody O'Connell OG/OT Washington State
Round 6 Pick #23 - Joel Lanning ILB Iowa State
Round 7 Pick #23 - Chucky Williams S Louisville

Projected Starters

QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
XWR: Paul Richardson
ZWR: Robert Woods
SLWR: Cooper Kupp
TE: Gerald Everett
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Rodger Saffold
C: John Sullivan
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

SDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Da'Ron Payne
DT: Aaron Donald
WOLB: Robert Quinn
WILB: Alec Ogletree
SILB: Todd Davis
SOLB: Trent Murphy
LCB: Aqib Talib
RCB: Bashaud Breeland
SLCB: Nickell Robey-Coleman
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: John Johnson III

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Sorry, but I can't support Aqib Talib on this team. He seems like the exact opposite of "we, not me."

Everything else looks solid.

Also, our coach's name is Joe Barry, not Berry. Just saying. :p ;)

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Thanks for posting a mock so soon after enduring yet another lousy Cheatriots "victory."
I am on record of wanting Watkins back but I agree that Richardson flashed this year, so mebbe he's an ascending playmaker.
I would like to trade Barron to Cleveland if possible but failing that I could see the Rams releasing him outright.
BTW not sure why you have us keeping Robert Quinn as he seems to be rather expensive in comparison to his production.
At any rate outside of Da'Ron Payne I will confess that I am unfamiliar with most of your selections so I have got some homework to do! lol!!

Once again, thank you for posting so soon after the game. It was a needed tonic after watching that debacle........

~ArkyRamsFan~

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
BTW not sure why you have us keeping Robert Quinn as he seems to be rather expensive in comparison to his production.

It would cost more to find a replacement. We got 9.5 sacks out of him. Quinn's price tag is reasonable for that.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
It would cost more to find a replacement. We got 9.5 sacks out of him. Quinn's price tag is reasonable for that.
I dunno. He seemed very inconsistent for the amount of dough we paid him. He would all but disappear for long stretches of the games IMO.
Moreover it seemed like he got his sacks in bunches and then fade away into obscurity yet again.For the amount of money his contract calls for I want a much more consistent and productive pass rusher.
Just sayin'......

~ArkyRamsFan~

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno. He seemed very inconsistent for the amount of dough we paid him. He would all but disappear for long stretches of the games IMO.
Moreover it seemed like he got his sacks in bunches and then fade away into obscurity yet again.For the amount of money his contract calls for I want a much more consistent and productive pass rusher.
Just sayin'......

~ArkyRamsFan~

A more consistent, productive pass rusher will cost you $16 million per year, and the issue is that there isn't one available in FA. Ansah is the closest thing to that, but he is also inconsistent, and he'll cost quite a bit more than Quinn. Quinn has a $12 million cap hit with almost no guaranteed money left. Going after a big fish will cost a lot more in average salary and guaranteed money.

We stick with Quinn for at least another year and start planning for life after him.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Hopefully we can redo Quinn's deal... turn most of his deal into guarantee money to free up cash for UFA
Just Sayin'

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully we can redo Quinn's deal... turn most of his deal into guarantee money to free up cash for UFA
Just Sayin'

I'd leave it as is. It's better for us to get out of it easily.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
First off real nice overall plan. There's a million different ways they can go, but all of them are going to be tight irt the cap and they're going to have to roll the dice at some positions, just no way around it.

FA is so hard to predict, but that is going to determine so much of the direction. If they can get Talib alone in here I think that's all they're going to do at CB before the draft. That gives them three starters paid well at the position, from there I would expect them to draft depth. Breeland's also a mediocre corner, so more of the same tbh (i.e. is he better than Hill for example, particularly in light of FA cost) and not sure it's worth the effort to even try to sign him given how tight money will be after bringing guys back and locking Donald down.

So if they do what you suggest I suppose they could avoid corner in the draft, but I still have to think they address the position due to the fact that at some point it's going to be BPA if nothing else.

I like that you addressed NT in the draft. Rams need some cheap excellence on that DL what with Donald and Brock racking up big money. They could address it at any point from our round 1 on so I do think Payne has a real shot to be our guy and it would be a really big upgrade.

Also I do think it's possible they keep Quinn around. He's a 50/50 guy I think, in terms of whether they cut him. Still, they need an upgrade and Sweat would be a really nice pickup in round 3, I like his TFL ability and he's a rangy dude with upside.

Tano

Legend
Jrry,

Each year you have one player that you really hope the Rams draft.

In 2014, you were fighting for Aaron Donald.

2016 - Jared Goff

2017 - Cooper Kupp and/or TJ Watt

We got 3 of the 4 that you were actively hoping for in these drafts and all 4 have turned out to be very good / great players.

Note - I forget who you were banging on the board for in 2015 (I remember you being high on Todd Gurley but don't remember if you were actively rooting for the Rams getting him).

Who is the one in this draft that has you (pardon the metaphor) drooling for? Is it Payne this year?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry,

Each year you have one player that you really hope the Rams draft.

In 2014, you were fighting for Aaron Donald.

2016 - Jared Goff

2017 - Cooper Kupp and/or TJ Watt

We got 3 of the 4 that you were actively hoping for in these drafts and all 4 have turned out to be very good / great players.

Note - I forget who you were banging on the board for in 2015 (I remember you being high on Todd Gurley but don't remember if you were actively rooting for the Rams getting him).

Who is the one in this draft that has you (pardon the metaphor) drooling for? Is it Payne this year?

I'll have to let you know in a couple months who that guy is this year. At the present, it is Da'Ron Payne, but I haven't evaluated enough guys yet.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
First off real nice overall plan. There's a million different ways they can go, but all of them are going to be tight irt the cap and they're going to have to roll the dice at some positions, just no way around it.

FA is so hard to predict, but that is going to determine so much of the direction. If they can get Talib alone in here I think that's all they're going to do at CB before the draft. That gives them three starters paid well at the position, from there I would expect them to draft depth. Breeland's also a mediocre corner, so more of the same tbh (i.e. is he better than Hill for example, particularly in light of FA cost) and not sure it's worth the effort to even try to sign him given how tight money will be after bringing guys back and locking Donald down.

So if they do what you suggest I suppose they could avoid corner in the draft, but I still have to think they address the position due to the fact that at some point it's going to be BPA if nothing else.

I like that you addressed NT in the draft. Rams need some cheap excellence on that DL what with Donald and Brock racking up big money. They could address it at any point from our round 1 on so I do think Payne has a real shot to be our guy and it would be a really big upgrade.

Also I do think it's possible they keep Quinn around. He's a 50/50 guy I think, in terms of whether they cut him. Still, they need an upgrade and Sweat would be a really nice pickup in round 3, I like his TFL ability and he's a rangy dude with upside.

Breeland to me could be like Robert Woods. People will say we overpaid, but we recognize that his skill-set fits our scheme well and that he was misused in Washington. Breeland has been inconsistent, but when he's been at the top of his game, he's played like a #1 CB. And he's versatile. He can play outside and inside.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Pretty solid attemp Counselor, like to see a young corner taken in a corner rich draft, but would feel good about Talib & Breeland and feel Talib would have to agree to keep the ego in check & to play under Phillips again IMO, he will.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The selection of Da'Ron Payne would be huge improvement to our run defense. Resigning 28yr old Tyrunn Walker gives Payne a veteran NT to work with along with young NT Omarius Bryant. Walker is no starter but a very good reserve NT that has shown the ability to be effective in pass defense in the use of his arms & hands in knocking down passes. Snead originally wanted Tyrunn Walker for several seasons but the matter with LEO's cut it to just one season.

If Jrry32's first selection occur res then this also permits Ethan Westbrooks to return to play a major role in the rotation in the posts besides the NT along with Fox & Smart. EW is a very good rotational DL'er.The addition of Westbrooks back into the rotation behind Donald & Brockers add outstanding strength here too. So from I see this front 3 becomes much better with the above suggested plan. As oddball says keep up with those "positive waves"! @jrry32

I certainly have no issues with the addition of one of the man coverage veteran UFA corners (Breeland /Talib). But not two thus it bring me to your mock'd 3rd rd'er Josh Sweat OLB Florida State would be a solid steal if it happened. I guessing he will off the board late 2nd or early 3rd myself. If we were to seelct Josh Sweat there is no need to waste $12.5 million in cap space on weak-link run defender/edge setter in Rob Quinn. I would move fast to unload that cap hit if this were to occur.

Sweat is outstanding in this skill that Quinn has NONE! You run Sweat with Matt Longacre on one side & you have improved the run defense even more. Plus both are econo priced players that greatly assist the Rams cap issues.

With the cap savings (Quinn) you can then resign a veteran Strong Side LB/edge Rusher Conner Barwin for one more season & sign your SSLB'er Trent Murphy for the one yr trial basis. Now you have 2nd yr super quick twitch pass rusher Samson Eubukam to offset Quinn loss in the pass rush. You might have enough cap cash to sign that 2nd veteran man coverage corner.(Breeland /Talib)

I know that still one a talented young outside corner in this draft! Two 6th rd EJ. Gaines type would do it for me!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Breeland to me could be like Robert Woods. People will say we overpaid, but we recognize that his skill-set fits our scheme well and that he was misused in Washington. Breeland has been inconsistent, but when he's been at the top of his game, he's played like a #1 CB. And he's versatile. He can play outside and inside.

More I think about it if the Rams feel that way about Breeland they might just make him the key signing of the offseason and then draft CB on top of his addition. I'm not as high on him as you but you're right in that teams do some projecting (Woods being a great example of that) so that might be a direction they go.

I do wonder, though, with Fuller being dealt as a package to get a QB, whether the Skins let Breeland hit the market. We'll see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I certainly have no issues with the addition of one of the man coverage veteran UFA corners (Breeland /Talib). But not two thus it bring me to your mock'd 3rd rd'er Josh Sweat OLB Florida State would be a solid steal if it happened. I guessing he will off the board late 2nd or early 3rd myself. If we were to seelct Josh Sweat there is no need to waste $12.5 million in cap space on weak-link run defender/edge setter in Rob Quinn. I would move fast to unload that cap hit if this were to occur.

Sweat is outstanding in this skill that Quinn has NONE! You run Sweat with Matt Longacre on one side & you have improved the run defense even more. Plus both are econo priced players that greatly assist the Rams cap issues.

Yeah I'd kill to see them add a high end OLB in this draft, so tired of watching Quinn go through the motions on everything other than his passing down rushes. Ideally they'll bring in a bunch of late round to UDFA ILB types at a minimum as well, and let them all duke it out to win a job or depth spot.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Well done....many nice pieces added....Always have liked Richardson...Really like Payne....Replacing Webster & Tru with Breland and Talib is a dream....but it's cool to dream...LOL I still think Talib won't take a major pay cut to play with son of bum...

Now you know I gotta have complaints....why do yall just wanna throw Barron out with the bathwater??? What's up with a backup QB? Much like Les finds CB's in the later rounds, I'm sure he could find a ILB there as well that could start...oh yeah....watch Joyner sign for max money somewhere else....he played well enough to get an offer. Murphy...he's the dude from Stanford, no? He took steroids...and got caught?....hmmm, I'll take him...but back on the juice...LOL....again, nice work....interesting players...esp. the linemen.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Nice mock @jrry32 I’ll have to take a look at some of these guys I’ve never heard of. You address my major concerns - especially NT with a real manimal. I still really like Barron but get why he may be a casualty in the off season. Talib will - I’m sure - be a long discussion and have to say all the right things if he were to be brought it. Guess we’ll see.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW - anyone have concerns about Payne being a bit of a head case? I don’t even know why but I get a me first vibe from him. I fear he will not be as willing to put in the work and rely on his hype.