Jrry32 Asshole Face is the new HC Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After the season is over, we are able to work out a trade with New Orleans to get Asshole Face as our next HC.
Hire
HC Asshole Face
OC/OL Coach Aaron Kromer
DC Gus Bradley
STC John Fassel

Personally, I think Asshole Face is the best we can do in terms of candidates. His offense is the perfect fit for Jared Goff. He's known for developing QBs. His offenses in the Saints were among the best in football year in and year out. Payton does not meddle with his DC. He hires DCs with strong track records which indicates to me that he wants a good defense. I think he could be a difference-maker here.

If Rex is hired by Buffalo (which looks likely), I think we stand a good at getting Kromer. Kromer is one of the best offensive line coaches in the NFL. He looked to be on his way to getting a HC job before things spiraled on him. He was caught leaking things to the press in Chicago and then got arrested a couple years ago. The charges ended up being dropped, but the Bills still suspended him for 6 games in 2015. Regardless, as this year has proven, the man can still coach OLs and has a long history of working with Asshole Face.

As @den-the-coach knows, I'm not a huge Bradley fan. However, I think he's the most likely guy for Payton to hire as his DC if he ends up here. Payton might consider bringing Dennis Allen with him. But if he does hire a DC, Bradley is the most likely candidate based on him having a strong track record with Seattle and Payton working with Bradley in Tampa. My issue with Bradley is that I think he plays too passively on defense. He's a good DC. I just don't think he's a great DC because of his passive approach. Some would disagree with me on that.

We already know about Fassel. There's no reason to let him walk.

Cut
HB Tre Mason
OG Rodger Saffold
TE Lance Kendricks
C Tim Barnes
DE Eugene Sims

Re-sign
WR Kenny Britt - 3 years $21 million
K Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $6 million
HB Benny Cunningham - 3 years $4.5 million
DT Dominique Easley - RFA Tender
DE Ethan Westbrooks - RFA Tender
DE Matt Longacre - ERFA Tender

Let Walk
CB Trumaine Johnson (I like Trumaine but not at the price he'll likely be asking.)
S T.J. McDonald (I like T.J., but Mo is a more natural fit at SS. Let's use the money we have elsewhere.)
QB Case Keenum (Mannion is the backup of the future.)

Trade
Rams trade 2018 conditional pick
Saints trade HC Asshole Face

The conditions of the trade are that the Saints receive a 2018 5th if we don't post a winning record. If we post a winning record, they receive a 4th. If we make the playoffs, they receive a 3rd. If we make the Super Bowl, they receive a 2nd.

Rams trade Round 5 Pick #6
Ravens trade TE Crockett Gillmore

This trade makes sense to me because the Ravens have Dennis Pitta back and Maxx Williams waiting in the wings. Gillmore is a very talented player but has had troubles staying healthy. I'll take the risk on him because when healthy, he's proven to be both a quality receiver and blocker. Also motivating the Ravens to make this trade is the fact that Gillmore is in his contract year.

Position Changes
LaMarcus Joyner - CB -> FS

With Alexander moving to SS, Joyner moves to FS. I think it's his natural position. Joyner doesn't play well with his back to the ball. He's at his best attacking downhill. He has surprising strength for a guy his size. In college, he showed good range and no fear at FS. He will deliver knockout shots. Offers the same type of skill-set that McLeod did.

Free Agency
Andre+Smith+Kevin+Zeitler+Cincinnati+Bengals+pn9-Par1644l.jpg

RG Kevin Zeitler - 5 years $40 million

One thing I've always respected about Asshole Face was that he was one of the first guys who recognized the value of interior OLs in today's NFL. In a game that has become far more built around 3-step drops and quick passes, the value of tackles has declined while the value of interior OLs has appreciated. Zeitler is one of the best OGs in football. With him and Leary, we give ourselves arguably the best OG combination in the NFL. This is reminiscent of when Payton had Jahri Evans and Ben Grubbs with the Saints.

6_3867208.png

LG Ronald Leary - 5 years $40 million

We need OL help. There were rumors that Dallas was trying to trade Leary before the season. With the injury to La'El Collins, Leary stepped back into his starting spot. He was also a starter on the dominant 2014 Cowboys OL. Leary is a mauling run blocker who has the versatility to play in either a ZBS or a PBS. He's also been a stellar pass blocker in 2016. I read somewhere that he hasn't given up a QB hit or sack all year long.

Kenny-Stills1.jpg

WR Kenny Stills - 4 years $24 million

Stills is one of the best deep threats in football and was a very productive WR for the Saints in Payton's scheme. He knows the scheme, he's still relatively young, and he can take the top off of defenses. The last time he played for Asshole Face, Stills put up 931 receiving yards. He should slide in as the #2 WR on our offense. Him and Britt will attack defenses vertically while Austin, Cooper, the TEs, and the HBs chew them up on shorter routes.

130304_Odrick.jpg

DE Jared Odrick - 2 years $10 million

Jared Odrick signed a large contract with the Jaguars prior to the 2015 season. He had a nice year in 2015 under Gus Bradley. In 2016, Odrick struggled after suffering an injury early in the season and ended up on IR around mid-season. The Jaguars signed him to play the elephant role in Bradley's defense (basically, the LDE in Bradley's scheme is a DT who plays as a 5-Tech). The Jaguars will likely release Odrick because his contract has no guaranteed money left and Bradley is now gone. This allows us to get Odrick at a discount.

House1.jpg

CB Davon House - 1 year $3 million

The Jaguars signed House to a relatively large contract prior to the 2015 season. He responded by setting the team record for pass deflections with 23 and picking off 4 passes. In 2016, House was benched for poor play. He is now playing behind Amukamara, Jalen Ramsey, and Aaron Colvin. Like Odrick, he's a likely cut by the Jaguars. We sign him to a "prove it" deal and give him a chance to rehab his value.

Frostee+Rucker+Houston+Texans+v+Arizona+Cardinals+ZxL-krce1LQl.jpg

DE Frostee Rucker - 1 year $2 million

Rucker is one of the best run stopping DEs in football. He'll rotate with Jared Odrick in the elephant role in our defense. Rucker also provides leadership. He's a guy who has been a pain in the butt for us the last few years with Arizona.

LarsenshotMAIN.jpg

C/OG Ted Larsen - 1 year $2 million

Larsen is added for depth purposes. He replaces Tim Barnes. He can provide solid play off the bench at Center and backup caliber play at OG. Nothing special but he gives us a veteran who can get the job done if there are injuries on the OL.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #6 - Quincy Wilson CB Florida
Round 3 Pick #6 - Forrest Lamp OT/OG/C Western Kentucky
Round 4 Pick #6 - Rasul Douglas CB West Virginia
Round 4 Comp Pick - Ryan Glasgow DT Michigan
Round 6 Pick #6 - Jeremy Cutrer CB Middle Tennessee State
Round 6 Comp Pick - Obi Melifonwu SS Connecticut
Round 7 Pick #6 - Connor Harris LB Lindenwood

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Kenny Britt
ZWR: Kenny Stills
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Tyler Higbee vs. Crockett Gillmore
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Ronald Leary
C: Forrest Lamp vs. Ted Larsen
RG: Kevin Zeitler
RT: Rob Havenstein

Elephant: Jared Odrick
NT: Michael Brockers
UT: Aaron Donald
LEO: Robert Quinn
WLB: Mark Barron
MLB: Alec Ogletree
SLB: Josh Forrest
LCB: Davon House vs. Rasul Douglas
RCB: Quincy Wilson
SLCB: E.J. Gaines vs. Jeremy Cutrer
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: Maurice Alexander

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Benny Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Yea, I know we could have problems at CB. But I'm trying to get guys who fit Bradley's scheme. Frankly, I threw most of our resources into fixing the offense. I wanted to give Goff great protection and Gurley massive running lanes. I'm hopeful that our two rookies can surprise. They're both perfect scheme fits for Bradley's defense. Quincy Wilson has shutdown CB potential in the NFL, and Rasul Douglas is a big CB with outstanding ball-skills.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Ian Rapoport was just on NFLN saying that Payton was a very real possibility to end up with the Rams. Also mentioned Ron Rivera as a possibility though too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I love Lamp...Seriously I love lamp! And that's why I would love the Rams drafting him!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Ian Rapoport was just on NFLN saying that Payton was a very real possibility to end up with the Rams. Also mentioned Ron Rivera as a possibility though too.

It's obvious Payton would be a better match was never crazy over Rivera's Offensive Coordinators in Carolina, however, if this was the case if Rivera hired Mike McCoy of the Chargers or even better Ken Whisenhunt as offensive coordinator and Jeff Davis as Offensive Line Coach I would be fine with that combination too.

And BTW I believe Jerry Richardson was never crazy about Rivera, but I feel the Rams would make a run at Payton IMHO.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Great stuff.... Les probably reads this and gets nervous...I'd love to introduce you to Stan....

That O-Line looks solid...I'm still leaning towards moving Greg Robinson to RT. Drafting a LT....

I like Gus...don't know how he'll change his defense...I mean, he has the scheme of Seattle and it didn't produce the same results in Jax. Wonder if he'd add some wrinkles?

Payton will not leave NO...He's part of the dynamics of NO...Changed the course of a franchise. It would be an awesome pickup for this team, this offense, and for Jared Goff. Can't see it happening..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great stuff.... Les probably reads this and gets nervous...I'd love to introduce you to Stan....

That O-Line looks solid...I'm still leaning towards moving Greg Robinson to RT. Drafting a LT....

I like Gus...don't know how he'll change his defense...I mean, he has the scheme of Seattle and it didn't produce the same results in Jax. Wonder if he'd add some wrinkles?

Payton will not leave NO...He's part of the dynamics of NO...Changed the course of a franchise. It would be an awesome pickup for this team, this offense, and for Jared Goff. Can't see it happening..

Yea, I really wish I could figure out what LT to draft. I just haven't been able to find one yet. Lamp is the best college LT I've watched that is likely to be in the draft this year, but he's likely not long enough to stay there in the NFL.

There's a kid from Utah, Garrett Bolles, who we might look at if Shanahan comes into town. But he's pretty raw from what I've seen.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Yea, I really wish I could figure out what LT to draft. I just haven't been able to find one yet. Lamp is the best college LT I've watched that is likely to be in the draft this year, but he's likely not long enough to stay there in the NFL.

There's a kid from Utah, Garrett Bolles, who we might look at if Shanahan comes into town. But he's pretty raw from what I've seen.
What about Dion Dawkins? Read good things about him. Good quickness and use of his arms/hands. Also read though that he needs some work on his technique but he's a 4 year starter at Temple on what was a pretty good line.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Hrs
Endangered Man on has been the best OLT in the Big Ten this year according to PFF. He had some mysterious injury or illness at the end of the year, that landed him in the hospital, and ended his season. Maybe he could go in the second to fourth range depending on what is wrong. Franklin doesn't release that kind of info.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Great scenario. Would love if it came to fruition.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What about Dion Dawkins? Read good things about him. Good quickness and use of his arms/hands. Also read though that he needs some work on his technique but he's a 4 year starter at Temple on what was a pretty good line.

Haven't watched Dawkins yet. Haven't covered most of the LTs yet. That's just based on what I've heard and seen thus far.

Hrs
Endangered Man on has been the best OLT in the Big Ten this year according to PFF. He had some mysterious injury or illness at the end of the year, that landed him in the hospital, and ended his season. Maybe he could go in the second to fourth range depending on what is wrong. Franklin doesn't release that kind of info.

I think auto correct got you, unless this is a nickname. Are you talking about the Penn State LT? If so, I haven't seen him yet.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Haven't watched Dawkins yet. Haven't covered most of the LTs yet. That's just based on what I've heard and seen thus far.

I think auto correct got you, unless this is a nickname. Are you talking about the Penn State LT? If so, I haven't seen him yet.

Yes it did and I was in a hurry too. Brendan Mahon was what it should have said. Sorry.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
My favorite of your mocks so far.

I do worry about the corners, but then again, what good do our corners do now when Williams has them play 75 yards of the LOS once we have a lead of 7 or more points?

As far as Bradley goes, his defenses did get progressively better with the Seahawks ... although the passive thing is a legitimate concern. But then again, GW goes passive as soon as we have a lead, so there's that.

Frostee Rucker would be a good get, and since he played his college football at USC, he might be open to a homecoming.

I definitely like the approach of focusing in fixing the offense. The Rams have spent 5 years focusing on fixing the defense, while either only tinkering with the offense. Even in light of the Goff trade, my gut says Fisher and Boras never had a vision of him being nothing more than a talented game manager, instead of someone who actually goes out and wins games. Payton knows better, and if he could get the offense to take a big step forward it might not be so bad if our defense took a step backwards. Halfway through this season our defense was flirting with elite status, and where did that get us? 3-5 at the time, because of our sucky Fisherball offense. There is nothing more important for the future of this franchise than fixing the offense and developing Goff. This mock emphasized that with a coach that is perfect for Jared.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I would be perfectly ok with the escalator clause in this trade for Payton.

He hasn't had a good defense since GW was ousted. That does concern me though.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I like it. I don't know much about a lot of the draft players except Wilson and Lamp (who are both excellent) but I do like the size at CB. Obviously if you can play, I don't care how big you are. I wouldn't turn down Verrett, or in this draft, Jourdan Lewis by any means. But when you can get a tall lengthy CB who can flip his hips well, I feel like you have to take that, even if he's a bit raw. Those guys can turn into the next Tru.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mike McGlinchey is still on the fence at ND. Could see him still come out

Haven't taken the time with him because if he does come out, it is highly unlikely he makes it to our pick in the 2nd round.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Haven't taken the time with him because if he does come out, it is highly unlikely he makes it to our pick in the 2nd round.
Good point. I guess he could potentially push someone out of the first that may seem out of reach right now.
He's got his warts too, which is why he is staying (at the moment)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Let Walk
CB Trumaine Johnson (I like Trumaine but not at the price he'll likely be asking.)
S T.J. McDonald (I like T.J., but Mo is a more natural fit at SS. Let's use the money we have elsewhere.)
I really like what you have going here, But I'm just not sure about letting Tru and TJ walk! I like them both a lot!