Jrry32 Post Combine Mock - New Scenario

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hey guys, so now that the combine fun is over, I decided to explore a new scenario. Figure some might like it, some might hate it. Oh well.
Re-sign
Tim Barnes C - ERFA Tender($570,000)
Jo-Lonn Dunbar OLB - 2 years $3 million($1.5 million first year cap hit)
Rodger Saffold OG - 5 years $35 million($5 million first year cap hit)

Release
Harvey Dahl OG - $4 million in cap relief
Scott Wells C - $4.5 million in cap relief
Mike Person OG - $645,000 in cap relief
Jermelle Cudjo DT - $900,000 in cap relief

Restructure
Cortland Finnegan - $4 million from base salary converted into NLTBE incentive($4 million dollar savings)

Analysis: Dahl and Wells are past their prime and sadly, it's time for both to go. Cudjo doesn't really fit our scheme anymore and we can upgrade. Person is pretty irrelevant. We keep Finnegan for his leadership but he takes a pay-cut to stay and we end up saving the same amount we'd get if we cut him. He still makes a reasonable amount of money. We bring back Dunbar for his knowledge of the scheme and swagger he brings the defense. Saffold brings important versatility and we retain him because of the dominance he showed at OG with a very fair contract offer.

Free Agency Cap Room - $12.973 million

Free Agency
Thomas Decoud FS - 2 years $6 million($3 million first year cap hit)

Analysis: Decoud is an average FS coming off a bad year. Snead knows him from his time in Atlanta and is willing to buy a bit low on him. We don't need an elite player at FS, just a steady veteran presence. Hopefully, Decoud can regain his form and provide that.

Trade
Rams trade:
Pick #2

Buccaneers trade:
Pick #7
Buccaneers 4th
2015 1st
Mike Williams WR($1.8 million cap hit)

Rams trade:
2nd(#44)
3rd(#75)

Patriots trade:
Patriots 4th

Analysis: I figured this trade might not be loved. Tampa traded their 3rd for Revis and doesn't want to give up their 2nd. They move up for Clowney as Lovie sees him as a Peppers type talent. So we're willing to take their 4th if we get Williams. Williams has worn out his welcome in TB but he did not mesh with Schiano's rigid disciplinarian style. Sherman(WR Coach) and Fisher have a good history of working with guys like Williams. Williams is only making $1.8 million in 2013 so there's not a lot of risk here. He provides a veteran WR for Sam that we are buying low on that has shown talent and is still relatively young. The Patriots are always willing to trade down. We move up for a player we covet.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #7 - Greg Robinson OT/OG Auburn
Analysis:
Jake Matthews goes off the board at Pick #6 to the Falcons and Watkins goes off the board at #5 when a team trades up with the Raiders. Rams are happy with Robinson who fits their high upside style plus Snead is an Auburn alum and Fisher's son plays with Robinson. Robinson has ridiculous power as a run blocker and a great anchor as a pass blocker but is a raw pass protector. Coming in and playing LG as a rookie will give him time to develop as a pass protector under Boudreau which is for the best. Kid can be a dominating presence at LG with the potential to be an elite LT.

Round 1 Pick #13 - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
Analysis:
Originally, some didn't believe Donald was worth taking here. Now the question is if he'll be around at #13. Donald showed off freakish athleticism at the combine to match the incredible film he has and dominant Senior Bowl week. The Rams had an interview with him at the combine. As a rookie, he'd rotate with Langford and Brockers as well as playing on passing downs until he's ready to start. Donald has John Randle type potential and would give the Rams the disruptive force inside to help out Quinn and Long.

Round 1 Pick #29 - Jason Verrett CB TCU
Analysis:
This is who we trade up for. Verrett was interviewed by the Rams at the combine and possesses everything you look for in a top tier CB except great size(5'9" 190). Verrett is very technically sound, smooth and athletic. He has excellent ball-skills and natural cover skills. He tackles well despite his size and plays with a non-stop motor. He's a feisty player that is very scheme versatile and capable of playing both the slot and outside at CB.

Round 4 Pick #4 - Chris Borland OLB/ILB Wisconsin
Analysis:
Borland gives the Rams much needed depth at the ILB behind Laurinaitis as well as a player that could compete with Jo-Lonn Dunbar at SLB. Borland is a fearless player that is extremely instinctual and flies to the football. He is an overachiever on the field and lacks NFL length but his high IQ, playmaking ability and willingness to take on blockers in the hole will draw NFL teams to him.

Round 4 Pick #10 - JaWuan James RT/OG Tennessee
Analysis:
Talented and versatile player that could push Barksdale for the starting job at RT while providing depth at OG behind Saffold and Robinson. James started his entire career at Tennessee at RT and is a nasty player with good power and bend that run blocks effectively. Doesn't have the feet to be a NFL LT but has good enough feet and balance to play RT in the NFL. Reliable, steady player that exemplifies the blue collar attitude that Boudreau loves in his OLs.

Round 4 Pick #29 - Brett Smith QB Wyoming
Analysis:
Smith is an athletic QB that plays with moxie. He only has an average arm but he shows a lot of mobility and pocket presence. Has a bit of a gunslinger attitude despite his arm strength but flashes accuracy, anticipation and the ability to work through progressions. He's a tough player if not reckless and is extremely competitive. He plays like he wants to win at all times.

Round 5 Pick #13 - Eric Thomas WR Troy
Analysis:
Thomas will compete with Austin Pettis for his roster spot as the possession WR that can play in the slot and outside. Thomas is a big bodied WR at 6'1" 215 with nearly 11 inch hands that has impressive run after catch skills and strength. He makes a lot of spectacular catches and rarely drops passes. I think he's criminally underrated, looked like a 2nd round talent to me on film. Definitely worth taking a shot on here.

Round 6 Pick #12 - Brock Vereen FS Minnesota
Analysis:
Admittedly, I haven't evaluated Vereen's film yet but I thought I'd throw him in here because he impressed me at the combine. I thought he had really impressive movement skills for a safety. He had loose hips, impressive speed and moved effortlessly. Definitely tools there. He played both CB and S in his time at Minnesota.

Round 7 Pick #11 - Trey Millard FB Oklahoma
Analysis:
Millard is a hyper athletic FB from Oklahoma. He can lead block, catch the ball out of the back-field and run with it effectively. He appeared to be well on his way to being a 4th round pick due to his freakish athleticism for a 6'2" 255 pound FB but he tore his ACL during the 2013 season. Still, he has a lot of potential as a weapon and lead blocker in the NFL.

Round 7 Pick #26 - Roderick McDowell HB Clemson
Analysis:
Speedy HB with the ability to catch the ball out of the back-field to be more of a lightning to Stacy's thunder. McDowell, despite being only 5'9" 200, is willing to lower his shoulder to finish runs. However, he shows impressive cutability and balance as well as open-field vision. Very good balance and spin move to boot.

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Trey Millard
XWR: Mike Williams
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Stedman Bailey
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Greg Robinson
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: Jason Verrett
FS: Thomas DeCoud
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

What do you guys think?

VARAMS

UDFA
Name
Dano
Trade for mike williams could work out well but seems like a pretty stretch prediction. If not pick M. Evans or M. Lee with 1.13. Justin Gilbert, Clinton-Dix or Pryor at 1.13 covers bigger need than A.Donald. He could be available at your 1.29 pick.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Trade for mike williams could work out well but seems like a pretty stretch prediction. If not pick M. Evans or M. Lee with 1.13. Justin Gilbert, Clinton-Dix or Pryor at 1.13 covers bigger need than A.Donald. He could be available at your 1.29 pick.

I don't want any of those guys at #13 except Evans. ;)

And I have doubts about him being available.

Donald won't be there at #29. Can't see him falling past Dallas.

wrstdude

Rookie
Love it. I haven't been able to figure out a way to get Clowney & Robinson/Matthews, but I think a combo of Robinson/Donald is just as good. Anything else after this combo is gravy.

Donald ran a 4.68 @ 285. Clowney ran a 4.53 @ 266. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities to assume he could get in the 4.5x range if he dropped 20lbs. Not saying he needs to, just pointing out that he's possibly just as much of a freak as Clowney.

Sold!

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Hey guys, so now that the combine fun is over, I decided to explore a new scenario. Figure some might like it, some might hate it. Oh well.
Re-sign
Tim Barnes C - ERFA Tender($570,000)
Jo-Lonn Dunbar OLB - 2 years $3 million($1.5 million first year cap hit)
Rodger Saffold OG - 5 years $35 million($5 million first year cap hit)

Release
Harvey Dahl OG - $4 million in cap relief
Scott Wells C - $4.5 million in cap relief
Mike Person OG - $645,000 in cap relief
Jermelle Cudjo DT - $900,000 in cap relief

Restructure
Cortland Finnegan - $4 million from base salary converted into NLTBE incentive($4 million dollar savings)

Analysis: Dahl and Wells are past their prime and sadly, it's time for both to go. Cudjo doesn't really fit our scheme anymore and we can upgrade. Person is pretty irrelevant. We keep Finnegan for his leadership but he takes a pay-cut to stay and we end up saving the same amount we'd get if we cut him. He still makes a reasonable amount of money. We bring back Dunbar for his knowledge of the scheme and swagger he brings the defense. Saffold brings important versatility and we retain him because of the dominance he showed at OG with a very fair contract offer.

Free Agency Cap Room - $12.973 million

Free Agency
Thomas Decoud FS - 2 years $6 million($3 million first year cap hit)

Analysis: Decoud is an average FS coming off a bad year. Snead knows him from his time in Atlanta and is willing to buy a bit low on him. We don't need an elite player at FS, just a steady veteran presence. Hopefully, Decoud can regain his form and provide that.

Trade
Rams trade:
Pick #2

Buccaneers trade:
Pick #7
Buccaneers 4th
2015 1st
Mike Williams WR($1.8 million cap hit)

Rams trade:
2nd(#44)
3rd(#75)

Patriots trade:
Patriots 4th

Analysis: I figured this trade might not be loved. Tampa traded their 3rd for Revis and doesn't want to give up their 2nd. They move up for Clowney as Lovie sees him as a Peppers type talent. So we're willing to take their 4th if we get Williams. Williams has worn out his welcome in TB but he did not mesh with Schiano's rigid disciplinarian style. Sherman(WR Coach) and Fisher have a good history of working with guys like Williams. Williams is only making $1.8 million in 2013 so there's not a lot of risk here. He provides a veteran WR for Sam that we are buying low on that has shown talent and is still relatively young. The Patriots are always willing to trade down. We move up for a player we covet.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #7 - Greg Robinson OT/OG Auburn
Analysis:
Jake Matthews goes off the board at Pick #6 to the Falcons and Watkins goes off the board at #5 when a team trades up with the Raiders. Rams are happy with Robinson who fits their high upside style plus Snead is an Auburn alum and Fisher's son plays with Robinson. Robinson has ridiculous power as a run blocker and a great anchor as a pass blocker but is a raw pass protector. Coming in and playing LG as a rookie will give him time to develop as a pass protector under Boudreau which is for the best. Kid can be a dominating presence at LG with the potential to be an elite LT.

Round 1 Pick #13 - Aaron Donald DT Pittsburgh
Analysis:
Originally, some didn't believe Donald was worth taking here. Now the question is if he'll be around at #13. Donald showed off freakish athleticism at the combine to match the incredible film he has and dominant Senior Bowl week. The Rams had an interview with him at the combine. As a rookie, he'd rotate with Langford and Brockers as well as playing on passing downs until he's ready to start. Donald has John Randle type potential and would give the Rams the disruptive force inside to help out Quinn and Long.

Round 1 Pick #29 - Jason Verrett CB TCU
Analysis:
This is who we trade up for. Verrett was interviewed by the Rams at the combine and possesses everything you look for in a top tier CB except great size(5'9" 190). Verrett is very technically sound, smooth and athletic. He has excellent ball-skills and natural cover skills. He tackles well despite his size and plays with a non-stop motor. He's a feisty player that is very scheme versatile and capable of playing both the slot and outside at CB.

Round 4 Pick #4 - Chris Borland OLB/ILB Wisconsin
Analysis:
Borland gives the Rams much needed depth at the ILB behind Laurinaitis as well as a player that could compete with Jo-Lonn Dunbar at SLB. Borland is a fearless player that is extremely instinctual and flies to the football. He is an overachiever on the field and lacks NFL length but his high IQ, playmaking ability and willingness to take on blockers in the hole will draw NFL teams to him.

Round 4 Pick #10 - JaWuan James RT/OG Tennessee
Analysis:
Talented and versatile player that could push Barksdale for the starting job at RT while providing depth at OG behind Saffold and Robinson. James started his entire career at Tennessee at RT and is a nasty player with good power and bend that run blocks effectively. Doesn't have the feet to be a NFL LT but has good enough feet and balance to play RT in the NFL. Reliable, steady player that exemplifies the blue collar attitude that Boudreau loves in his OLs.

Round 4 Pick #29 - Brett Smith QB Wyoming
Analysis:
Smith is an athletic QB that plays with moxie. He only has an average arm but he shows a lot of mobility and pocket presence. Has a bit of a gunslinger attitude despite his arm strength but flashes accuracy, anticipation and the ability to work through progressions. He's a tough player if not reckless and is extremely competitive. He plays like he wants to win at all times.

Round 5 Pick #13 - Eric Thomas WR Troy
Analysis:
Thomas will compete with Austin Pettis for his roster spot as the possession WR that can play in the slot and outside. Thomas is a big bodied WR at 6'1" 215 with nearly 11 inch hands that has impressive run after catch skills and strength. He makes a lot of spectacular catches and rarely drops passes. I think he's criminally underrated, looked like a 2nd round talent to me on film. Definitely worth taking a shot on here.

Round 6 Pick #12 - Brock Vereen FS Minnesota
Analysis:
Admittedly, I haven't evaluated Vereen's film yet but I thought I'd throw him in here because he impressed me at the combine. I thought he had really impressive movement skills for a safety. He had loose hips, impressive speed and moved effortlessly. Definitely tools there. He played both CB and S in his time at Minnesota.

Round 7 Pick #11 - Trey Millard FB Oklahoma
Analysis:
Millard is a hyper athletic FB from Oklahoma. He can lead block, catch the ball out of the back-field and run with it effectively. He appeared to be well on his way to being a 4th round pick due to his freakish athleticism for a 6'2" 255 pound FB but he tore his ACL during the 2013 season. Still, he has a lot of potential as a weapon and lead blocker in the NFL.

Round 7 Pick #26 - Roderick McDowell HB Clemson
Analysis:
Speedy HB with the ability to catch the ball out of the back-field to be more of a lightning to Stacy's thunder. McDowell, despite being only 5'9" 200, is willing to lower his shoulder to finish runs. However, he shows impressive cutability and balance as well as open-field vision. Very good balance and spin move to boot.

Projected Starters
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Zac Stacy
FB: Trey Millard
XWR: Mike Williams
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Stedman Bailey
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Jake Long
LG: Greg Robinson
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: Joe Barksdale

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Kendall Langford
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SLB: Jo-Lonn Dunbar
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
SLCB: Jason Verrett
FS: Thomas DeCoud
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker

What do you guys think?

I would have like to nab a starting OG in Rd 3 or 4... Depsite the hype on Donald I worry about his size and durability. I think Verrett size is an issue and teams will put a tall wr in the slot to create a mismatch. Solid draft overall.. Give me Dix Notre Dame DT at 1.13 and at 1.29 I would take the best OG (UCLA or Stanford Kid) in the draft since our div has really good DLs.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I would have like to nab a starting OG in Rd 3 or 4... Depsite the hype on Donald I worry about his size and durability. I think Verrett size is an issue and teams will put a tall wr in the slot to create a mismatch. Solid draft overall.. Give me Dix Notre Dame DT at 1.13 and at 1.29 I would take the best OG (UCLA or Stanford Kid) in the draft since our div has really good DLs.

Louis Nix is a poor scheme fit and unlike Donald, has had durability issues in college. If a team moves a tall WR into the slot, fine with me, Verrett will handle him.

As far as OGs go, I'd feel comfortable with Robinson and Saffold there.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Jrry loves his FB's. (y)
I like this draft. Good work. Verrett looks like a good pick. He could get worked into the nickel rotation with Finny and learn something. Nice.
We're still developing Tru as our big DB so i'm not too worried about having small corners in JJ and Verritt.