Jrry32 Options! Options! Options! Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In this mock, I'm going to give a few different options on the coaching staff that I would like to see so the mock will differ slightly for each different option. In this mock, the assumption is that Fisher and the Rams mutually part (Rams plan to fire him but he decides to depart to USC before we make the decision). Regardless, I don't want Fisher back. I think Gregg Williams also leaves if he's not made HC. I'm projecting the Rams and Eagles to both finish 7-9.

My first option is very similar to my most recent mock.(only big real change is letting Long go and signing Curry)

Option #1
Hire
Hue Jackson HC
Ken Zampese OC
Jim Schwartz DC

Hue Jackson is my top HC choice so this is my top scenario. I think Hue/Schwartz would be a perfect fit for the Rams based on the personnel they have. I also want to mention that I had been planning to include a trade of our first for Stafford in this scenario. But with the way Detroit is playing, I don't see them being willing to move him anymore.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Kenny Britt WR
Chris Long DE

Re-sign
Janoris Jenkins - 5 years $55 million
Trumaine Johnson - 4 years $28 million
Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $6 million
Will Hayes - 2 years $6 million
Tim Barnes - 2 years $3 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Benny Cunningham - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender
Cory Harkey - 2 years $4 million
Brian Quick - 1 year $2.5 million

Made a tough choice and let Mark Barron walk. It's time to let Mo Alexander step up. I like Barron a lot. But we can afford to let him go in order to fortify other parts of the team. I also let McLeod go. Disappointed with all the poor angles from him. I kept Quick on a prove-it deal as I think he's starting to look better and he's a good fit for Hue's offense. Letting Long go hurt but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and his play has been declining.

Free Agency
030314-HOF-Header.jpg

Anquan Boldin WR - 2 years $10 million

Mitchell-Schwartz.jpg

Mitchell Schwartz OG/OT - 4 years $18 million

102913_Curry_600.jpg

Vinny Curry DE - 3 years $12 million

Akiem-Hicks-2.jpg

Akiem Hicks DT - 2 years $4 million

delmas-bortles-pick-6.png

Louis Delmas FS - 1 year $1 million

The Anquan Boldin signing may or may not be popular but with Kenny Britt departing, we need a veteran presence and if there's been one thing we've needed all year, it's been a reliable option on 3rd down. Boldin fills both of those needs. I think he's got at least one good year left in him. His game isn't based on speed. Plus, Alshon doesn't hit FA.

I think Schwartz has a lot of potential for the team that signs him. Things are dysfunctional in Cleveland and Schwartz is playing RT. Like his brother, Geoff, I think Mitchell is a better OG than RT at the NFL level. He struggles with speed on the edge. I think moving him inside will help him become a much more effective player.

Vinny Curry steps in to replace Long. He will rotate with Hayes and Westbrooks at LDE and give Quinn a breather at RDE. Has been a fairly productive pass rusher in the Eagles 3-4 scheme the past two years with 9 sacks in 2014. I think he's a better fit in the 4-3 so there's potential for him to step up and take the starting LDE job here.

Akiem Hicks replaces Nick Fairley. He's an extremely talented athlete that fits the Waufle mold (hoping we can retain him) in terms of size (6'5" 325) who has underachieved a bit thus far in his career but also shown flashes of brilliance. We have arguably the best DL Coach in the NFL. I think he might be able to bring out the best in Hicks who is still a young player.

Louis Delmas is coming off back to back ACL tears and has a lengthy injury history so this is a pure flier but he played well for Schwartz in Detroit. This is a no guaranteed money type of deal on a guy that's coming off an injury. If he makes the team, he'll compete with LaMarcus Joyner and Cody Davis for the starting FS job. If he doesn't, no harm no foul.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #12 - Connor Cook QB Michigan State

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsGHAEUwvRc

Analysis: Carson Wentz, who accepted his invite to the Senior Bowl, could be the pick here if he impresses in that game. However, until then, I can't put him this high. But he fits the mold of Jackson's scheme and has a lot of similarities to Flacco and Palmer...two QBs that Jackson worked with. Connor Cook also fits Jackson's scheme well, is coming out of a pro style vertically oriented system, and is a three year starter. I gave a very detailed breakdown of him in the 2016 QB thread in Rams Discussion. Why Cook? He has some warts (if he didn't, he'd go top 5) but he has done a number of things at the college level that translate incredibly well to the pro game. He's also an aggressive QB coming from a system that encouraged down-field shots which is similar to Hue's system. Cook displays the ability to throw with anticipation, throw his WRs open, fit the ball into tight windows, hang in the pocket and make throws while under pressure, and maneuver a chaotic pocket. He also absolutely destroys the blitz. He's special in that regard. He reads the blitz as well as anyone I've evaluated at the college level and finds his match-up. When he needs to get the ball out hot, he does so. When he sees that he has a match-up advantage, he goes after it. Cook has inconsistencies in his game (especially in his lower body mechanics), he's streaky, and makes some boneheaded decisions but he's a guy that also is capable of doing things you only see out of veteran QBs (throwing before the WR has made his break into a tight window created by him looking off the safety). There's some Cutler and Eli to his game but you get both the bad and the good. He'll make mistakes as a rookie but he has the potential to be an Eli caliber player in the NFL and I think the odds are good that he becomes at least Cutler good if he lands in the right environment.
NFL Comparison: Eli Manning

Round 2 Pick #12 - Tyler Boyd WR Pittsburgh

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSh6yeGjWs8

Analysis: Boyd is the type of WR that falls on draft day. He's not huge (6'2" 200ish) and doesn't have outstanding straight-line speed. However, he possesses great acceleration, outstanding agility, a high level understanding of the game (high football IQ), advanced route running ability, top tier body control, and a good pair of hands. Boyd will drop some easy passes and his motor can run hot and cold as a blocker but he'll make a lot of difficult catches and is excellent at creating yardage after the catch. Like any college player, his route running needs some development but he's very advanced for a college WR and already uses subtle nuances in his route running that you typically only see in veteran NFL WRs. He's also coming from a pro style offense.
NFL Comparison: Keenan Allen

Round 2 Pick #13 - Evan Engram TE Ole Miss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QitbYK_DE

Analysis: Remember what Jared Cook was supposed to be when we signed him? The super athletic slot TE capable of creating mismatches? That's what Engram is. Extraordinarily athletic although undersized for a traditional inline blocking TE at 6'3" 230. He's made for the new move TE role. Engram's agility and change of directional skills are highly impressive for a guy his size. He runs routes like a WR; very quick in and out of his breaks. Needs some polish but he's a lot more polished in that regard than most TEs. Has the speed to get vertical on defenses. My guess is that he'll time somewhere between a 4.55 and 4.65 40. Impressive YAC skills as well as he's elusive after the catch and strong enough to not go down easily. Good pair of hands and can go up and get the ball. He's just a major mismatch as a move TE. As a blocker, he needs a lot of technical work but he doesn't lack effort or willingness. Will get physical and flashes good blocking skills at times but needs a lot of development in that regard.
NFL Comparison: Jordan Reed

Round 3 Pick #12 - Scooby Wright III ILB Arizona

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PUWnNxGqYE

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent and I have a feeling Gregg Williams will find a way to use his versatile skill-set in the mean time. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple is also worth considering.
NFL Comparison: Chris Borland

Round 4 Pick #12 - Evan Boehm C Missouri

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWDstknJHEw

Analysis: Boehm fits Hue Jackson's power running style. He's a people mover at Center and that's rare. Mauling run blocker that plays through the whistle. Has a serious mean streak. Smart guy and experienced started in the SEC. Only big question is his game is if he has the pass pro skills to be a NFL Center. His athleticism is a bit limited as his feet are pretty average and he doesn't appear to have long arms. Struggles with quicker DTs that can penetrate quickly in the A gap. If he has the pass blocking chops to play in the NFL, he'll be a quality Center as run blocking is no concern.
NFL Comparison: Ben Jones

Projected Starters
QB: Connor Cook
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Anquan Boldin
ZWR: Tavon Austin
SLWR: Tyler Boyd
TE: Lance Kendricks
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Mitchell Schwartz
C: Tim Barnes
RG: Jamon Brown
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Will Hayes
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mo Alexander
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
SLCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: LaMarcus Joyner
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide

Option #2
Hire
Ray Horton HC
Ken Whisenhunt OC
Richard LeBeau DC

This is if we decide to go with a defensive mind at HC again if Hue Jackson gets a better offer from a team like San Diego. Horton was a top candidate when we hired Fisher and what he's done this year with Tennessee's defense is nothing short of amazing. It takes time for a defense to get his scheme down but once they do, the guy is an amazing defensive mind. Whisenhunt worked with Horton in both Arizona and Pittsburgh. He did an impressive job as the Chargers OC. LeBeau is currently working with Horton in Tennessee.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Kenny Britt WR
Chris Long DE

Re-sign
Rodney McLeod - 3 years $12 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender

Made a tough choice and let Mark Barron walk. It's time to let Mo Alexander step up. I like Barron a lot. But we can afford to let him go in order to fortify other parts of the team. I let Will Hayes go because he doesn't fit Horton's 3-4 scheme. I kept Quick on a prove-it deal as I think he's starting to look better. Letting Long go hurt but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and his play has been declining.

Free Agency
Malik-Jackson.jpg

Malik Jackson DE - 5 years $40 million

030314-HOF-Header.jpg

18767871-mmmain.jpg

Al Woods NT/DE - 2 years $5 million

81a22ff8f2e734dba719218befde610e-original.jpg

Ziggy Hood DE - 1 year $1 million

I think Malik Jackson is the rare type of FA that will be undervalued. Like Pernell McPhee, due to his role and the team around him, Jackson does not get the recognition he deserves. He's a disruptive pass rusher and a great run stopper at 6'6" 290+ that plays DE and DT for Denver. He'd be a huge addition to the Rams DL as a 5-T in Horton's 3-4 scheme.

The Anquan Boldin signing may or may not be popular but with Kenny Britt departing, we need a veteran presence and if there's been one thing we've needed all year, it's been a reliable option on 3rd down. Boldin fills both of those needs. I think he's got at least one good year left in him. His game isn't based on speed. Plus, Alshon doesn't hit FA.

Al Woods has played pretty well as the Titans NT this year. He'll follow LeBeau and Horton to St. Louis and provide depth at NT and 5-T behind Brockers, Donald, and Jackson.

Ziggy Hood is brought in to provide depth as a cheap player that knows the system. He'll play behind Donald and Jackson at 5-T.

NFL Draft

Analysis: Cook displays the ability to throw with anticipation, throw his WRs open, fit the ball into tight windows, hang in the pocket and make throws while under pressure, and maneuver a chaotic pocket. He also absolutely destroys the blitz. He's special in that regard. He reads the blitz as well as anyone I've evaluated at the college level and finds his match-up. When he needs to get the ball out hot, he does so. When he sees that he has a match-up advantage, he goes after it. Cook has inconsistencies in his game (especially in his lower body mechanics), he's streaky, and makes some boneheaded decisions but he's a guy that also is capable of doing things you only see out of veteran QBs (throwing before the WR has made his break into a tight window created by him looking off the safety). There's some Cutler and Eli to his game but you get both the bad and the good. He'll make mistakes as a rookie but he has the potential to be an Eli caliber player in the NFL and I think the odds are good that he becomes at least Cutler good if he lands in the right environment.

Analysis: Boyd is the type of WR that falls on draft day. He's not huge (6'2" 200ish) and doesn't have outstanding straight-line speed. However, he possesses great acceleration, outstanding agility, a high level understanding of the game (high football IQ), advanced route running ability, top tier body control, and a good pair of hands. Boyd will drop some easy passes and his motor can run hot and cold as a blocker but he'll make a lot of difficult catches and is excellent at creating yardage after the catch. Like any college player, his route running needs some development but he's very advanced for a college WR and already uses subtle nuances in his route running that you typically only see in veteran NFL WRs. He's also coming from a pro style offense.

Round 2 Pick #13 - Joshua Garnett OG Stanford

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsQsI34OUAQ

Analysis: With Garrett Reynolds filling in well for Saffold, we take an OG in Garnett to develop behind Reynolds. Garnett is the type of OL the Rams have typically gone for. He's a big boy at 6'5" 320 with a mean streak. He plays through the whistle, looks to bury defenders, and can be an absolutely violent blocker. I haven't seen enough video to fully evaluate Garnett but in what I have seen, I didn't see any glaring flaws in pass pro or run blocking. He's not an elite athlete which can lead him a tad exposed in space but he generally does a nice job of making his blocks when pulling or on the second level. All in all, he looks like a strong OG prospect to me. Wouldn't be surprised if he goes higher than this. The one thing that hurts him is that he's a pure OG prospect.
NFL Comparison: Carl Nicks

Analysis: According to Arizona, Scooby Wright had 163 tackles, 29 TFLs, 14 sacks, and 6 FFs in 2014 ALONE. Unfortunately for him, he's missed almost this entire season thus far with injuries. This is a kid that doesn't have the NFL look. He's listed at 6'1" 246. I think he'll come in closer to 5'11" 240. But he's a guy that plays with so much passion, relentlessness, and heart that his average athleticism and underwhelming size don't limit his game. He has top tier instincts, great play strength (gym rat), and plays with reckless abandon. Sometimes, that reckless abandon will cause him to miss tackles but it's worth it with how often he's in the back-field making plays. He's Arizona's defensive leader, he is the guy that makes sure everyone is lined up properly, and he's the heart of that defense. They also will move him down to DE on certain passing downs and he's a disruptive, relentless pass rusher. This guy is James Laurinaitis's heir apparent and I have a feeling Gregg Williams will find a way to use his versatile skill-set in the mean time. If Wright isn't available, Tyler Matakevich from Temple is also worth considering.

Analysis: Boehm fits our power running style. He's a people mover at Center and that's rare. Mauling run blocker that plays through the whistle. Has a serious mean streak. Smart guy and experienced started in the SEC. Only big question is his game is if he has the pass pro skills to be a NFL Center. His athleticism is a bit limited as his feet are pretty average and he doesn't appear to have long arms. Struggles with quicker DTs that can penetrate quickly in the A gap. If he has the pass blocking chops to play in the NFL, he'll be a quality Center as run blocking is no concern.

Projected Starters
LG: Joshua Garnett

LDE: Malik Jackson
NT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Aaron Donald
LOLB: Akeem Ayers
LILB: Alec Ogletree
RILB: James Laurinaitis
ROLB: Robert Quinn
FS: Rodney McLeod

Option #3
Hire

Adam Gase HC
Stan Drayton OC
Jim Schwartz DC

I have no idea who Gase would choose to be his coordinators. I chose Schwartz because he's the best DC on the market and fits our personnel. I chose Drayton because he's been a highly successful position coach and likely will be looking to land an OC job sooner than later. An interesting thing to mention with Gase is that he came up under Mike Martz in Detroit and San Francisco and is married to Joe Vitt's daughter.

I also want to mention that Ben McAdoo could have easily been taken here instead of Gase. I'd be very happy with him too.

Cut
Jared Cook TE
Rodger Saffold OG
Kenny Britt WR
Chris Long DE

Re-sign
Will Hayes - 2 years $6 million
Daren Bates - RFA Tender
Cody Davis - RFA Tender

Made a tough choice and let Mark Barron walk. It's time to let Mo Alexander step up. I like Barron a lot. But we can afford to let him go in order to fortify other parts of the team. I also let McLeod go. Disappointed with all the poor angles from him. I kept Quick on a prove-it deal as I think he's starting to look better. Letting Long go hurt but he hasn't been able to stay healthy and his play has been declining.

Free Agency
030314-HOF-Header.jpg

Mitchell-Schwartz.jpg

Mitchell Schwartz OG/OT - 4 years $18 million

102913_Curry_600.jpg

Vinny Curry DE - 3 years $12 million

Akiem-Hicks-2.jpg

Akiem Hicks DT - 2 years $4 million

delmas-bortles-pick-6.png

Louis Delmas FS - 1 year $1 million

I think Schwartz has a lot of potential for the team that signs him. Things are dysfunctional in Cleveland and Schwartz is playing RT. Like his brother, Geoff, I think Mitchell is a better OG than RT at the NFL level. He struggles with speed on the edge. I think moving him inside will help him become a much more effective player.

Vinny Curry steps in to replace Long. He will rotate with Hayes and Westbrooks at LDE and give Quinn a breather at RDE. Has been a fairly productive pass rusher in the Eagles 3-4 scheme the past two years with 9 sacks in 2014. I think he's a better fit in the 4-3 so there's potential for him to step up and take the starting LDE job here.

Akiem Hicks replaces Nick Fairley. He's an extremely talented athlete that fits the Waufle mold (hoping we can retain him) in terms of size (6'5" 325) who has underachieved a bit thus far in his career but also shown flashes of brilliance. We have arguably the best DL Coach in the NFL. I think he might be able to bring out the best in Hicks who is still a young player.

Louis Delmas is coming off back to back ACL tears and has a lengthy injury history so this is a pure flier but he played well for Schwartz in Detroit. This is a no guaranteed money type of deal on a guy that's coming off an injury. If he makes the team, he'll compete with LaMarcus Joyner and Cody Davis for the starting FS job. If he doesn't, no harm no foul.

NFL Draft

Analysis: Connor Cook is coming out of a pro style system and is a three year starter. I gave a very detailed breakdown of him in the 2016 QB thread in Rams Discussion. Why Cook? He has some warts (if he didn't, he'd go top 5) but he has done a number of things at the college level that translate incredibly well to the pro game. Cook displays the ability to throw with anticipation, throw his WRs open, fit the ball into tight windows, hang in the pocket and make throws while under pressure, and maneuver a chaotic pocket. He also absolutely destroys the blitz. He's special in that regard. He reads the blitz as well as anyone I've evaluated at the college level and finds his match-up. When he needs to get the ball out hot, he does so. When he sees that he has a match-up advantage, he goes after it. Cook has inconsistencies in his game (especially in his lower body mechanics), he's streaky, and makes some boneheaded decisions but he's a guy that also is capable of doing things you only see out of veteran QBs (throwing before the WR has made his break into a tight window created by him looking off the safety). There's some Cutler and Eli to his game but you get both the bad and the good. He'll make mistakes as a rookie but he has the potential to be an Eli caliber player in the NFL and I think the odds are good that he becomes at least Cutler good if he lands in the right environment.

Round 2 Pick #13 - Evan Engram TE Ole Miss

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5QitbYK_DE

Analysis: Remember what Jared Cook was supposed to be when we signed him? The super athletic slot TE capable of creating mismatches? That's what Engram is. Extraordinarily athletic although undersized for a traditional inline blocking TE at 6'3" 230. He's made for the new move TE role. Engram's agility and change of directional skills are highly impressive for a guy his size. He runs routes like a WR; very quick in and out of his breaks. Needs some polish but he's a lot more polished in that regard than most TEs. Has the speed to get vertical on defenses. My guess is that he'll time somewhere between a 4.55 and 4.65 40. Impressive YAC skills as well as he's elusive after the catch and strong enough to not go down easily. Good pair of hands and can go up and get the ball. He's just a major mismatch as a move TE. As a blocker, he needs a lot of technical work but he doesn't lack effort or willingness. Will get physical and flashes good blocking skills at times but needs a lot of development in that regard.
NFL Comparison: Jordan Reed

Analysis: Boehm fits our power running style. He's a people mover at Center and that's rare. Mauling run blocker that plays through the whistle. Has a serious mean streak. Smart guy and experienced started in the SEC. Only big question is his game is if he has the pass pro skills to be a NFL Center. His athleticism is a bit limited as his feet are pretty average and he doesn't appear to have long arms. Struggles with quicker DTs that can penetrate quickly in the A gap. If he has the pass blocking chops to play in the NFL, he'll be a quality Center as run blocking is no concern.

Projected Starters
LG: Mitchell Schwartz

LDE: Will Hayes
LDT: Michael Brockers
RDT: Aaron Donald
RDE: Robert Quinn
OLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mo Alexander
FS: LaMarcus Joyner

I did a lot of copying and pasting...so we don't give me too much of a hard time if I made an error and missed something when pasting. :lol:

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
What about the option of Kroenke doesn't actually give a shit and keeps Fisher?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What about the option of Kroenke doesn't actually give a crap and keeps Fisher?

Feel free to do that one yourself. With that option, I'll be making Jaguars mocks in 2016. ;)

FRO

Legend
I'm not a fan of moving to a 3-4. I like Donald and Quinn in the positions they are at now and with the defense playing well I want to keep the scheme the same. If we can't keep Williams then Schwartz is the best fit due to similar scheme.

I agree with Stafford not being a realistic option. He is too good to give up. Now if they get stupid, definately want him. Would give a good amount to get him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a fan of moving to a 3-4. I like Donald and Quinn in the positions they are at now and with the defense playing well I want to keep the scheme the same. If we can't keep Williams then Schwartz is the best fit due to similar scheme.

I agree with Stafford not being a realistic option. He is too good to give up. Now if they get stupid, definately want him. Would give a good amount to get him.

That's not really a choice we get unless you want to hire Schwartz as HC.(which I do not)

The coach is more important to me than the scheme.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's not really a choice we get unless you want to hire Schwartz as HC.(which I do not)

The coach is more important to me than the scheme.
If the Rams go to a 3-4 then Donald has to play DE, or if they want him to play NT, they are lmiting his skill set. I'd hate the move to 3-4.
Scheme does matter when you look at personnel

Athos

Legend
Our team is built for a 4-3. Wouldn't enjoy a 3-4 switch without a stud blitzing LB like a Von Miller.

Anyway, just based on offense, option 1 or 3 works for me. Need a massive infusion of players capable of scoring a GD TD.

Stel

Starter
I know I'm a broken record, but I'm not going to be a fan of any draft that starts out with a sub 60% college QB as our first round pick. I'll post my amateur analysis on sub 60% college QBs performance in the NFL later.

Expecting Cook to start game one of his first season is, in my opinion, unreasonable. IF, and I think that is a pretty big if, Cook ever becomes a starting caliber NFL QB, it won't be in his first year. I think the chances of that happening are about the same as us finding another Hy Vee stock boy to lead us to the Super Bowl.

So, just say no to Cook with our first round pick.
WR Boyd I like a lot.
I prefer TE Hunter Henry to Engram.
Maybe I'm a bit of a homer, but I'd take Kentrell Brothers over Wright.
Boehm in the fourth would be a good pick if we're after a center.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know I'm a broken record, but I'm not going to be a fan of any draft that starts out with a sub 60% college QB as our first round pick. I'll post my amateur analysis on sub 60% college QBs performance in the NFL later.

Expecting Cook to start game one of his first season is, in my opinion, unreasonable. IF, and I think that is a pretty big if, Cook ever becomes a starting caliber NFL QB, it won't be in his first year. I think the chances of that happening are about the same as us finding another Hy Vee stock boy to lead us to the Super Bowl.

WR Boyd I like a lot.

We differ on this. I don't agree with getting hung on one stat. Hell, I gave you some successful NFL QBs with a career completion% of less than 60% in college.

I think Cook can start from Day 1. He's a three year starter coming from a pro style scheme. He has some things that need to be cleaned up in his game...but they aren't the sort of things that require benching him.(although, it would help his development if he were sat for a year or so...but I feel the same way about just about every QB)

If the Rams go to a 3-4 then Donald has to play DE, or if they want him to play NT, they are lmiting his skill set. I'd hate the move to 3-4.
Scheme does matter when you look at personnel

Donald played 3-4 DE in college prior to his final year. He was damn good at that too.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Donald played 3-4 DE in college prior to his final year. He was damn good at that too.

Donald was actually considered a fifth or sixth round pick due to how badly they miscast him in a 3-4. I'd rather have the 4-3. You're using guys to the absolute best of their abilities there. I'm fine with options one or three, but not with Connor Cook. I'd rather have Wentz in that spot, even if he isn't considered highly. I've always felt that you draft the guys you want for your team in a mock, even if they may be high, not settle for a lesser option that you don't want.

WR Boyd I like a lot.

Even as a Mizzou guy, I can't justify Brothers over Wright. Wright is a much better player, and if he's in the third round, we're getting an absolute steal with him. I can agree with Boehm, but not in the fourth. He's more of a fifth to me. Only Mizzou guy who should be drafted highly this year - if he declares, which I am really hoping he doesn't - is probably Josh Augusta. He should go third round based on potential and physical ability.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Donald was actually considered a fifth or sixth round pick due to how badly they miscast him in a 3-4. I'd rather have the 4-3. You're using guys to the absolute best of their abilities there. I'm fine with options one or three, but not with Connor Cook. I'd rather have Wentz in that spot, even if he isn't considered highly. I've always felt that you draft the guys you want for your team in a mock, even if they may be high, not settle for a lesser option that you don't want.

I doubt Donald was considered a 5th or 6th round pick by NFL teams. People underrated him even during his dominant senior year purely because of his size. He had 11 sacks as a sophomore as a 3-4 DE.

As for Cook, he is my top option at that spot. Wentz needs to have a strong Senior Bowl for me to rate him over Cook.

FRO

Legend
In watching Cook, and it hasn't been extensive, he reminds me a lot of Foles. There are passes that are absolute things of beauty, then he goes on streaks of throwing high. He has first round arm talent, but his accuracy is so inconsistent. I think his completion percentage is indicative of his inconsistent play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In watching Cook, and it hasn't been extensive, he reminds me a lot of Foles. There are passes that are absolute things of beauty, then he goes on streaks of throwing high. He has first round arm talent, but his accuracy is so inconsistent. I think his completion percentage is indicative of his inconsistent play.

Not even close. The streakiness and missing high are where the comparison starts and ends. Cook's anticipation, poise in the pocket, mental processing speed, and ability to move through progression and throw WRs open are already well above Foles.

Cook is risky. But we're not picking in the top 5. We don't get to choose out of all the QBs who we draft. In the mid first round, you're going to be drafting a QB with flaws. People get far too hung up on trying to evaluate what a QB is rather than what he can be. Cook's issues are fixable. Will they get fixed? I don't know. Depends on his development at the next level.

As for his completion%, it is connected to his streakiness and inconsistencies but it's also far more connected to the offense he plays in. I've seen much less accurate QBs have completion %s in the 64% to 67% range in college because of the system they played in. Cook plays in a pro style system that asks him to take a lot of vertical shots. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a hi-low progression system.

FRO

Legend
Not even close. The streakiness and missing high are where the comparison starts and ends. Cook's anticipation, poise in the pocket, mental processing speed, and ability to move through progression and throw WRs open are already well above Foles.

Cook is risky. But we're not picking in the top 5. We don't get to choose out of all the QBs who we draft. In the mid first round, you're going to be drafting a QB with flaws. People get far too hung up on trying to evaluate what a QB is rather than what he can be. Cook's issues are fixable. Will they get fixed? I don't know. Depends on his development at the next level.

As for his completion%, it is connected to his streakiness and inconsistencies but it's also far more connected to the offense he plays in. I've seen much less accurate QBs have completion %s in the 64% to 67% range in college because of the system they played in. Cook plays in a pro style system that asks him to take a lot of vertical shots. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a hi-low progression system.
Had he been getting consistently better throughout his time at Michigan State I would be more willing to jump on board. I was a Cook guy early on, but he never grew and he is still inconsistent in his senior year. Missing on a first round QB can set you back a few years. Just look at the Vikings with Ponder and the Titans with Locker. Yes we need a QB, but Cook isn't a guy I pick in the first due to his inconsistencies. If he puts it all together, yes he can be a solid QB. He has been a long time starter at MSU and in the 2-3 games I have watched him he looked downright bad at times. I want to like him, I just can't buy in with a first round pick. I would rather go with Wentz if we had to pick a QB there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Had he been getting consistently better throughout his time at Michigan State I would be more willing to jump on board. I was a Cook guy early on, but he never grew and he is still inconsistent in his senior year. Missing on a first round QB can set you back a few years. Just look at the Vikings with Ponder and the Titans with Locker. Yes we need a QB, but Cook isn't a guy I pick in the first due to his inconsistencies. If he puts it all together, yes he can be a solid QB. He has been a long time starter at MSU and in the 2-3 games I have watched him he looked downright bad at times. I want to like him, I just can't buy in with a first round pick. I would rather go with Wentz if we had to pick a QB there.

He has been getting consistently better if you look at more than one part of his game.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was agaisnt the weak ass Big East. Not the NFL. Donald is a beast in 4-3, doest have the size of NT and again takes him off the edge. His speed is insane and I see that minimized if hes lining up againt the C
Good work as usual, you put a lot of thought in to these things. I would just hate the 3-4

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I doubt Donald was considered a 5th or 6th round pick by NFL teams. People underrated him even during his dominant senior year purely because of his size. He had 11 sacks as a sophomore as a 3-4 DE.

As for Cook, he is my top option at that spot. Wentz needs to have a strong Senior Bowl for me to rate him over Cook.

I thought that the 3-4 was as a junior. He had 5.5 sacks as a junior, and he was surprisingly ineffective some games. It was when they moved to a 4-3 that he really took off with almost thirty tackles for a loss and eleven more sacks. I just think that you're misusing him, Quinn, and possibly Brockers in a 3-4. Ogletree is the only one I think could legitimately make the jump.

Wentz is above Cook, in my opinion. I am not a fan of Cook, although I'm honestly not much of a Wentz fan either. I'd be okay with him if he dominated the Senior Bowl. I wouldn't be okay with Cook. Great physical tools, but I do not like the Jay Cutler/Eli Manning comparison. Those kinds of guys scare the hell out of me because they're basically Favre without the arm and poise that Favre had.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought that the 3-4 was as a junior. He had 5.5 sacks as a junior, and he was surprisingly ineffective some games. It was when they moved to a 4-3 that he really took off with almost thirty tackles for a loss and eleven more sacks. I just think that you're misusing him, Quinn, and possibly Brockers in a 3-4. Ogletree is the only one I think could legitimately make the jump.

Wentz is above Cook, in my opinion. I am not a fan of Cook, although I'm honestly not much of a Wentz fan either. I'd be okay with him if he dominated the Senior Bowl. I wouldn't be okay with Cook. Great physical tools, but I do not like the Jay Cutler/Eli Manning comparison. Those kinds of guys scare the hell out of me because they're basically Favre without the arm and poise that Favre had.

I'd kill to have Eli Manning...and would be quite happy with Cutler.

He was in the 3-4 as a sophomore and junior. While his sack numbers weren't as high as a junior, he still had 18 TFLs and 64 tackles. He was plenty effective in the 3-4. Was he more effective in the 4-3? Statistically, yes. But that is likely related to the responsibilities of each scheme.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Those kinds of guys scare the hell out of me because they're basically Favre without the arm and poise that Favre had.
Whats funny about Favre for me is when I started reading about Carson Wentz, I admitedly knew nothing about him and I looked up his college stats they didnt jump off the page. Which brings me to Favre, he was highly sought out depsite playing for a small school and also didnt have impressive college stats. I'm not a fan of judging players based on highlight stuff as they typically show all the great plays but Wentz release looks pretty impressve to me and Im hoping he kills it in the senior bowl

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If Fisher is still here, and I expect he will be, and he is seeking a QB early in the draft it will be the guy he deems to be the safest, most conservative of the group. I think he will like Connor Cook.

Personally I am not a big Cook fan. I don't think he will be more than average in the NFL. But average could get us in the playoffs, I guess.