Jrry32 New Coaching Staff Excitement Mock

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am beyond excited about us getting McVay and Wade. It looks like we're going to pull a hell of a staff. The new era of Rams football has begun.
Cut
HB Tre Mason
OG Rodger Saffold
TE Lance Kendricks
DE Eugene Sims

Re-sign
CB Trumaine Johnson - 5 years $55 million
K Greg Zuerlein - 3 years $9 million
HB Benny Cunningham - 3 years $4.5 million
DT Dominique Easley - RFA Tender

Let Walk
S T.J. McDonald (I like T.J., but Mo is a more natural fit at SS. Let's use the money we have elsewhere.)
WR Kenny Britt (I know that Britt has had a nice year, but I feel done with this group of WRs. They take plays off. They run lazy routes. They drop passes. And Britt had major friction with the coaching staff once Fisher left Tennessee. I'm letting someone else take the risk on him.)
QB Case Keenum (Mannion is the backup of the future.)

Trades
Rams trade DE William Hayes and Round 7 Pick #5
Browns trade Round 6 Pick #1

With us moving to the 3-4, Hayes just isn't a great fit. He is reunited with Gregg Williams in Cleveland. The Browns don't have to give up a lot to get him.

Rams trade Round 3 Pick #5 and Round 4 Pick #5
Dolphins trade Round 2 Pick #22

We traded up in the draft to get a player we covet.

Position Changes
Mark Barron - WLB -> SS

Phillips's scheme needs a bigger backer to pair with Ogletree. Phillips has always used safeties like Barron well.(see T.J. Ward) He'll be able to use Barron's abilities in the box. Unfortunately, it means that Mo Alexander stays at FS and LaMarcus Joyner at SLCB for now.

Free Agency
Larry Warford RG - 5 years $35 million

The Redskins run a PBS under Jay Gruden. It is my hope that McVay brings that with him. If he does, Warford is a great signing for our team. Warford is a rock in pass pro and a people mover in the run game. He's been a steady player for the Lions over the years. At his worst, he is a solid OG. At his best, he's been a top tier OG. He gives us a rock on the interior.

Pierre Garcon WR - 3 years $24 million

Garcon steps in as the WR we pair with Kenny Stills. He's a veteran WR who has consistently produced for nearly a decade. He ended this year with over 1000 receiving yards. He knows McVay's scheme and performed well in it. He's a nice complement to what we have. We need a veteran leader at WR. Garcon can be that guy.

Johnathan Joseph CB - 2 years $12 million

The Texans are likely to cut Joseph, so they can retain A.J. Bouye. Joseph is still playing at a fairly high level despite him being 32 years old next year. Joseph has experience playing for Wade Phillips in Houston. He'll step in as our #2 CB behind Trumaine. He'll provide veteran leadership for the defense and hopefully help change the culture in the locker room.

DeMarcus Ware OLB - 1 year $5 million

Ware has spent pretty much his entire career with Wade Phillips and really loves playing for him (he called him a "father figure"). Ware says that he plans to play another year, so it makes sense for Wade's destination to be Ware's. Ware is no longer an every down player, but he's still capable of being a disruptive pass rusher in a part-time role. He'll platoon with another OLB to hold down the OLB spot opposite Robert Quinn.

Vernon Davis TE - 2 years $5 million

We bring in Davis to be our #2 TE and take over Kendricks's role. Davis had a very nice bounce-back year with Washington this year in McVay's offense. He's another veteran target who knows the scheme. Davis is also a quality inline blocker.

Markus Wheaton WR - 1 year $3 million

We take a shot on Wheaton coming off a shoulder injury that caused him to miss almost the entire year. We offer Wheaton a "prove it" deal along with a clear path to the #2 WR job in our offense. Wheaton has breakout potential in a bigger role than he has gotten thus far on Pittsburgh.

Chance Warmack LG - 1 year $3 million

Warmack is another guy who gets a "prove it" deal. Warmack was considered the best OG prospect in a long time only a few years ago. He flopped in Tennessee. However, with the Rams running a PBS, he'll be back in a scheme that favors his skill-set. He'll have an opportunity to win the starting LG job.

Dekoda Watson ILB/OLB - 2 years $3 million

Dekoda Watson joined the Broncos this year and had an incredible preseason. He's spent the year backing up Von Miller but does have 1 sack in limited time. He's a versatile player who can play the SOLB or SILB role in our defense.

Glenn Dorsey NT - 1 year $2 million

Dorsey has had a few injury-plagued years, but he fits what Phillips often looks for in his NT. Dorsey will compete for the starting NT job. He's put together good play in San Francisco when healthy. Let's hope that continues here.

Vance Walker NT/DE - 1 year $1 million

Walker has played for Phillips in Denver the past couple years. He missed most of the 2016 season after tearing his ACL. He played well in 2015 as a rotational DE. He can compete with Dorsey at NT and provide depth behind Brockers and Donald at DE.

NFL Draft
Round 2 Pick #5 - T.J. Watt OLB Wisconsin
Summary:
The brother of J.J. is also a very talented kid in his own right. Watt possesses a NFL frame with growth potential at 6'5" 245 and long arms. He has the strength and punch power to push tackles around along with the speed to threaten the edge. Watt uses a variety of moves to keep OLs off guard and does a nice job of finding the ball. Watt has an extremely high ceiling despite not being an overly raw player. The comparison that springs to mind while watching him is Clay Matthews.

Round 2 Pick #22 - Forrest Lamp OT/OG/C Western Kentucky
Summary:
Lamp reminds me of a guy I really liked last year, Cody Whitehair. Like Whitehair, I think Lamp likely kicks inside at the NFL level and develops into a Pro Bowl or All Pro level Guard or Center. Once he gets his hands on a defender, the battle is over. His grip strength, hand placement, and anchor are absurdly good for a college OL.

Round 4 Comp Pick - Ryan Glasgow NT/DE Michigan
Summary:
Glasgow is your typical "blue collar" guy. He's strong at the POA with active hands and gives great effort. Has a nice push/pull move to generate pass rush. Uses his hands well. He's not a dynamic enough athlete to go much higher, but he has the sort of strength, technical skill, and motor to be a very good rotational DL.

Round 5 Pick #5 - Ahkello Witherspoon CB Colorado
Summary:
Ahkello is one of my favorite under the radar prospects in this draft. He was one of the national leaders in passes defensed in 2016, and his coverage metrics when targeted were off the charts good. Ahkello is 6'2" 195 with outstanding ball-skills, impressive quickness and hip flexion for his size, and the long speed needed to play outside the numbers in the NFL. He's a tad raw in terms of technique, but he has gobs of upside at CB.

Round 6 Pick #5 - Obi Melifonwu SS Connecticut
Summary:
Melifonwu checks in at 6'3" 220. While you'd expect him to be a bigger hitter with that size, he's not. However, he's a reliable tackler who is a versatile player on the back-end of the defense. He can play deep zone coverage, he can man up in coverage and hold his own, and he can play zone-under. He's a solid all-around player.

Round 6 Pick #23 - Joey Ivie DE Florida
Summary:
Ivie is an underrated player in this class. He's an underrated athlete with a relentless motor who has the ability to be a productive rotational interior DL at the NFL level. Ivie uses his hands well and does a nice job of stacking and shedding blocks in the run game. He's athletic enough to disrupt plays in the back-field and pressure QBs in the passing game. I think there's a strong chance that Joey Ivie's best football is ahead of him.

Round 7 Pick #5 - Mack Hollins WR North Carolina
Summary:
Hollins was the best deep threat in college football in 2015. He averaged 25 yards per catch. At 6'4" 210 with explosive deep speed and underrated movement skills, Hollins has starting WR potential if he develops well. If not, the guy has already shown at the college level that he'll play special teams and play it well (has been a special teams captain at UNC since his freshman year). His size/speed combination is a huge asset on special teams. Hollins is a former walk-on who ended up becoming North Carolina's #1 WR. Don't count him out.

Projected Starters
QB: Jared Goff
HB: Todd Gurley
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Pierre Garcon
ZWR: Markus Wheaton
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Tyler Higbee vs. Vernon Davis
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: Chance Warmack vs. Jamon Brown vs. Cody Wichmann
C: Forrest Lamp
RG: Larry Warford
RT: Rob Havenstein

LDE: Michael Brockers
NT: Glenn Dorsey
RDE: Aaron Donald
SOLB: T.J. Watt
SILB: Dekoda Watson
WILB: Alec Ogletree
WOLB: Robert Quinn
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Johnathan Joseph
SLCB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Maurice Alexander
SS: Mark Barron

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: Benny Cunningham
PR: Tavon Austin

Last edited:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You've got Wheaton listed as being paired with Garcon, but also mention Kenny Stills being paired with Garcon.
That's a lot of free agents being added, half of which are 30+ or may be past prime.
I don't think I can take another year or GRob at LT unless McVay is also bringing in an OL horse (OT) whisperer. If Robinson fails at LT next year, he's likely lost to the team as a free agent, if he shows some success at OG, he could become an all around starter and swing player much like Saffold.
I'd rather keep Saffold at LG for his $6.mil than gamble on Warmack's $3.mil, ... once we pay Saffold's $2.mil in dead money there is very little savings.
Bringing in 2 Free Agent WR's for 10.mil and drafting another has me preferring Alshon Jeffery for almost the same cost, it also may bury Cooper, Spruce & Thomas on the depth chart before we see what they've got. jmo.

Last edited:

TexasRam

Legend
I like the maneuvering for 2 second round picks. I like the retaining of Trumaine but there are a few things i'm not comfortable with in this mock.
I don't like Warmack and Robinson as projected starters on the O-line. We need to Retool the O-line with proven guys to give Gurley and Goff a chance. I also don't like Barron at SS if he is expected to cover guys on the backend.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
would the Rams 4th and 5th get a mid second round pick? I don't think so.

Overall I like the ideas. I would be disappointed with Watt as the Rams second round pick, but switching the D is going to create a big LBer need, so it makes sense.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You've got Wheaton listed as being paired with Garcon, but also mention Kenny Stills being paired with Garcon.

Copying and pasting mistake from past mocks. Stills is not in this one.

That's a lot of free agents being added, half of which are 30+ or may be past prime.

That's where the best bargains generally are.(older players and "prove it" deals) Plus, we sorely need veteran leadership.

I don't think I can take another year or GRob at LT unless McVay is also bringing in an OL horse (OT) whisperer. If Robinson fails at LT next year, he's likely lost to the team as a free agent, if he shows some success at OG, he could become an all around starter and swing player much like Saffold.

Well, we don't have a lot of options for replacing Robinson at the current time. Gotta hope the new coaching staff plus Greg working hard this off-season finds a way to get through to him.

I'd rather keep Saffold at LG for his $6.mil than gamble on Warmack's $3.mil, ... once we pay Saffold's $2.mil in dead money there is very little savings.

Saffold's durability issues make him a no go for me at $6 million.

Bringing in 2 Free Agent WR's for 10.mil and drafting another has me preferring Alshon Jeffery for almost the same cost, it also may bury Cooper, Spruce & Thomas on the depth chart before we see what they've got. jmo.

Alshon sounds like he's planning to stay in Chicago. Spurce, Cooper, and Thomas will have an opportunity to compete for PT. There's nothing stopping them from beating out Austin or Wheaton.

I like the maneuvering for 2 second round picks. I like the retaining of Trumaine but there are a few things i'm not comfortable with in this mock.
I don't like Warmack and Robinson as projected starters on the O-line. We need to Retool the O-line with proven guys to give Gurley and Goff a chance. I also don't like Barron at SS if he is expected to cover guys on the backend.

Only so much we can do with the OL. Gotta hope the new coaching staff can bring potential out of some of these guys.

Barron would be used like Wade Phillips used T.J. Ward. He'd be a box safety.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
would the Rams 4th and 5th get a mid second round pick? I don't think so.

Overall I like the ideas. I would be disappointed with Watt as the Rams second round pick, but switching the D is going to create a big LBer need, so it makes sense.

I'm confused. We traded the 5th pick in the 3rd and 4th round for the 22nd pick in the 2nd. I think that's pretty fair. It's moving up 15 spots in exchange for Round 4 Pick #5.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
10 free agents makes this feel like an expansion team. I recall the days when the Rams tried picking up used bargain basement free agents, and it wasn't very successful. I also want more quality vet help, just prefer the younger 2'nd contract guys myself. In this scenario, I stick with Saffold, he only missed one start in 2016. Seems to me he's more of a health risk when playing OT, so give him the LG position permanently and see if attendance is better than in the past. He still grades well when playing, better than the rest of the line this year, we can always drop him next year when his dead money is less should he become hurt again. jmo.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Huge fan of Watt, Lamp, and Witherspoon. I also like the free agent signings.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
10 free agents makes this feel like an expansion team.

Frankly, we're in a similar spot. We're a team in transition. Our offensive and defensive schemes are changing. That means roster turnover. Plus, we have quite a few FAs of our own this year who we might choose to let walk because they're "Fisher guys." Many of the FAs are rotational players or guys who'd compete for a job. Doesn't seem atypical to me to bring in quite a few with a new regime and two new schemes.

I recall the days when the Rams tried picking up used bargain basement free agents, and it wasn't very successful.

Those were also the days where nobody wanted to play for the Rams. We're picking up veterans who actually are still playing at an effective level, rather than picking up veterans who aren't playing well and hoping we can fix them.

I also want more quality vet help, just prefer the younger 2'nd contract guys myself. In this scenario, I stick with Saffold, he only missed one start in 2016. Seems to me he's more of a health risk when playing OT, so give him the LG position permanently and see if attendance is better than in the past. He still grades well when playing, better than the rest of the line this year, we can always drop him next year when his dead money is less should he become hurt again. jmo.

The younger guys require longer commitments and more money.

I don't want Saffold. He played poorly in 2016, he costs a lot of money, and he never stays healthy. He only missed one start, but he left a number of games with injuries. This team needs players we can count on to stay on the field, not a guy we have to pray to stay healthy. I'll take a shot on a guy like Warmack figuring things out over hoping that Saffold stays on the field.

If Saffold wants to take a pay cut, we could talk about him staying at that point.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm not so sure we are moving to the 3-4. I think Wade is flexibile - and we may see some 3-4 looks, but I'd be surprised if the base defense outright changes from 4-3 to 3-4. Or did I miss some news on that front?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not so sure we are moving to the 3-4. I think Wade is flexibile - and we may see some 3-4 looks, but I'd be surprised if the base defense outright changes from 4-3 to 3-4. Or did I miss some news on that front?

It's a pretty easy swap. Plus, Wade has run a 3-4 for a very long time. I don't see him switching to a 4-3. No reason to do it.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It's a pretty easy swap. Plus, Wade has run a 3-4 for a very long time. I don't see him switching to a 4-3. No reason to do it.

Our defensive personnel was built for the 4-3. I think most of our key pieces could safely move to a 3-4 - and in some cases they could even thrive there - but I'm not certain of that. Is Robert Quinn playing OLB? Do we want him dropping into coverage - Ever? I think Wade will use the talents of the players he has to work with and will be scheme flexibile. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our defensive personnel was built for the 4-3.

A move to Phillips's 3-4 only would affect two players, Mark Barron and Will Hayes. Hayes isn't a clear fit anywhere. Although, he could be used as a rotational 3-4 DE. Barron doesn't fit at ILB well. Would likely have to move back to being a box SS.

Beyond that, all our pieces fit both schemes.

I think most of our key pieces could safely move to a 3-4 - and in some cases they could even thrive there - but I'm not certain of that. Is Robert Quinn playing OLB? Do we want him dropping into coverage - Ever?

Guys like Quinn and Donald have dropped into coverage in the 4-3. Phillips isn't going to be dropping Quinn into coverage often. Quinn is a pass rusher. He'll be rushing the passer. His role will be unchanged. The only difference will be that he'll be rushing from a two-point stance more often.

I think Wade will use the talents of the players he has to work with and will be scheme flexibile. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think a lot of people don't recognize how similar the schemes are outside of the base defense. Phillips's 3-4 is essentially identical to an aggressive 4-3 defense when you're in nickel and dime. The only real difference is when you're in the base defense. Even then, the responsibilities and assignments are essentially the same. Phillips's defense just uses bigger personnel in the front-7.

Wade's defense is basically a more aggressive version of the 4-3 Under defense (defense used by Pete Carroll and Gus Bradley).

Last edited:

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
I think I would much rather just trade Barron. It's time to stop screwing around with Joyner, he needs to be this teams starting Free Safety. I think I'd much rather see a back end of...

LCB: Trumaine johnson
SCB: EJ Gaines
SS: Maurice Alexander
FS: LaMarcus Joyner

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think I would much rather just trade Barron. It's time to stop screwing around with Joyner, he needs to be this teams starting Free Safety. I think I'd much rather see a back end of...

LCB: Trumaine johnson
SCB: EJ Gaines
SS: Maurice Alexander
FS: LaMarcus Joyner

Trades are difficult to project. I try to keep them to a minimum. I'm fine with trading Barron. Just don't know what he'd fetch.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Trades are difficult to project. I try to keep them to a minimum. I'm fine with trading Barron. Just don't know what he'd fetch.

Probably not a whole ton with that contract and his limited fit for most teams. Maybe Cleveland, they have the money, some picks, and Williams obviously. He's probably better keeping otherwise, Wade will find a way to get him involved even if it's not ideal at his contract.

Looking at Wade's defense as a 4-3 Under like Bradley, why couldn't Barron fit in a Telvin Smith role? They aren't far off in size. Just curious, I honestly don't know.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Probably not a whole ton with that contract and his limited fit for most teams. Maybe Cleveland, they have the money, some picks, and Williams obviously. He's probably better keeping otherwise, Wade will find a way to get him involved even if it's not ideal at his contract.

Looking at Wade's defense as a 4-3 Under like Bradley, why couldn't Barron fit in a Telvin Smith role? They aren't far off in size. Just curious, I honestly don't know.

It's a different defense in terms of DL responsibilities. Telvin Smith often plays behind the NT and Elephant in Bradley's scheme. Those two guys are two-gapping. In Wade's scheme, the entire DL is one-gapping. So it requires bigger ILBs.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It's a different defense in terms of DL responsibilities. Telvin Smith often plays behind the NT and Elephant in Bradley's scheme. Those two guys are two-gapping. In Wade's scheme, the entire DL is one-gapping. So it requires bigger ILBs.

Makes sense. Wasn't sure on the specifics but that's what I figured. In that case yeah, not a great fit.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would not be a fan of that WR core because I feel it would suffer from vertical congestion....I would go back to including Stills because I believe in McVay's scheme you have to get deep and Wheaton and Garcon can't.

@jrry32 I love the offensive line rebuild and I hope as well who every they bring in to coach those guys (Kromer) he can reshape Robinson who IMO it is now more mental than physical.