Jrry32 Conservative Mock Off-Season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, today was a fun day. We got to lock in yet another losing season. I just want to focus on the draft and forget today happened. In this mock, I'll avoid controversy and leave Cutler/Winston out of it. There will be some familiar names, some new names thrown in, and no trades.
Extension
Sam Bradford - 2 years $20 million($10 million first year)

As a quick explanation, we extend Bradford's contract by adding a second year but move money around to lower his cap his by $3 million this year. He agrees to this because we guarantee all $10 million in 2015 and give him $4 million of the $10 million in the form of a roster bonus the day after signing. He gets money upfront and guaranteed money, we lower his cap figure and get a team friendly deal in 2016. If Bradford has a strong comeback season, we get him in 2016 at a team friendly $10 million to see if he can put together back to back strong years. If he does not, there's no guaranteed money in 2016 so we cut him with no dead money. It's a fair deal all around.

Released
Jake Long - $8 million in cap savings
Kendall Langford - $6 million in cap savings
Scott Wells - $3.8 million in cap savings
Eugene Sims - $1.9 million in cap savings
Isaiah Pead - $900,000 in cap savings
Total Cap Savings: $20.6 million
Total Cap Room: $25.1 million

Re-signed Players
Kenny Britt - 3 years $15 million($5 million first year)
Lance Kendricks - 2 years $6 million($3 million first year)
Shaun Hill - 1 year $1.5 million
Mike Person - 1 year $745,000
Cory Harkey - ERFA($645,000)
Tim Barnes - RFA($1.4 million - Original round)
Rodney McLeod - RFA($1.4 million - Original Round)
Total Cap Spent: $11.6 million
Total Cap Room: $13.5 million

Free Agency
C.J. Mosley DT
c.j.-mosley-suspended.jpg

1 year $1.7 million

Rotational DT known for his run stuffing ability to replace Kendall Langford.

Leger Douzable DT
med_gallery_5331_85_72722.jpg

2 years $3.0 million($1.5 million first year)

Another rotational DT that can step in and stuff the run when needed. Takes Carrington's spot in the rotation. Can also play DE.

Clint Boling OL
boling120120_440.jpg

4 years $16 million($3.0 million first year)

Boling is capable of playing tackle or guard and can do it at a solid level. He's only 25 years old. And he offers the Rams a great 6th OL that can start if one of the rookies are not ready to go. With our propensity for getting injured on the OL, I think this is money well spent.

NFL Draft
Round 1 Pick #12 - La'el Collins OT LSU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqwOXmGp2ns

Analysis: Being realistic, I think T.J. Clemmings is gone. While Collins does not have Clemmings's freakish athleticism and extreme smoothness, Collins is a powerful roadgrader with the feet to stay outside at OT. Collins does not possess great balance and needs to improve his bend while pass blocking. He has a tendency to play high off the snap and bend at his waist at times. I don't believe it's a flexibility issue, though. Collins also needs to be more consistent with his punch timing although his hand placement in pass pro is excellent. He redirects well, mirrors effectively, and when he locks on defenders with his shoulders square, it's game over. As a run blocker, Collins needs to play more in control as he'll lunge at times and will sometimes overextend himself leading to him losing balance. He needs to play more in control. He also needs to be more consistent with leverage. That all said, he's extremely powerful and consistently handles his man. He also has the mean streak to play through the whistle and wants to bury defenders. He's a devastating blocker on the second level and generally takes good angles then obliterates smaller defenders. He'll move into the RT spot and offer us a powerful drive blocker.

Round 2 Pick #12 - A.J. Cann OG South Carolina

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlwRR2-tr_w

Analysis: Cann is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. I think he's a very NFL ready prospect with the tools to be a very good NFL LG. I have compared him to Josh Sitton. Cann has very flexible hips and ankles with a good sized frame at 6'4" 320. He shows the power to get movement in the running game and consistently shoots off the ball low to the ground which allows him to win the leverage battle. Cann also shows a good understanding of position and angles because South Carolina, unfortunately, has him sealing, reaching, and hooking far more often than he should in their zone heavy scheme. Cann shows the ability to be devastating while down blocking and drive blocking. Still, I wish he had more of a mean steak as I don't think he finishes blocks like he should. He doesn't look to bury defenders at all time and doesn't play through the whistle like Scherff and Sambrailo do. As a pass protector, Cann has some flaws that he needs to improve upon. He's very comfortable mirroring in his stance although he does sometimes cheat on his position step. Cann shows impressive lateral agility, is smooth when forced to redirect, sits comfortably in his stance with great bend/flexibility in his hips and ankles, and Cann has outstanding balance. He also understands how to position himself to protect his QB and open up passing lanes. Cann's hand strength and grip are extraordinary. Once he gets his hands locked in on the chest, defenders rarely are able to disengage even when they seem to have him beat. However, Cann's biggest issues with his pass protection are related to his arm position while setting, his punch timing, and his hand placement. Cann doesn't keep his elbows tight when setting off the LOS and rarely ever lands the first punch. He often relies on counter-punching after the DL has gotten his hands on him. Cann also does not do a good job of targeting his punches inside the shoulders and is often sloppy with his placement. These are all issues that I think should be corrected with NFL level coaching but they are a problem right now. If he fixes the problem, though, due to his hand strength and grip, he'll be one hell of a pass protector.

Round 3 Pick #12 - Shane Carden QB ECU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGZVKLiIxQ8

Analysis: Well guys, here is the QB I draft. As I've said before, I'm not in favor of forcing a QB pick because it's a need so I needed a QB I liked. After watching Carden, I think he's the best guy after Winston and Mariota unless someone unexpected declares. Carden plays in a spread offense(Air Raid) right now and exclusively takes snaps out of the shotgun so there will be an adjustment period. Still, I think he's a better prospect than Garrett Grayson, who I've discussed before. Carden will be playing UF's strong defense in a bowl game so that should give us a good look at him if you haven't seen him(January 3rd). When I turned on the film, I saw a guy who dealt with a leaky OL and managed. The biggest issues I saw with him are that he doesn't seem to do a good job of feeling pressure off the edge(especially blind-side pressure) and he needs to improve his internal clock as he'll hold onto the ball too long looking to make a play. That all said, I think he showed of a NFL caliber arm with solid mobility and threw the ball with accuracy. His deep accuracy was the biggest weakness I noticed as he tended to under-throw guys and at times, he put too much air under the ball. But he was forced to make a lot of throws into tight windows in the game I watched and never shied away from throwing the ball to his WRs in 1 on 1 match-ups even when they were well guarded. His WRs were not getting a tremendous amount of separation in some of the games but I noticed him making good timing throws and putting the ball where it needed to be. He was also willing to take chances which did hurt him at times but all around, he was a solid decision maker. On his arm strength, I saw him make 10-25 yard throws from the pocket to the opposite sideline with requisite zip. I think his arm strength is more than adequate. He's an extremely tough and competitive player as I saw him take a number of hits due to his OL and he kept getting right back up. Not afraid to stand in under pressure and pull the trigger. A couple other small issues I had were that he tends to be overconfident in his athleticism and he needs to protect himself better when running. There were times where he tried to outrun the defense instead of throwing the ball away and he didn't do it. He has solid mobility but he's not Mike Vick. He needs to be smart about getting the ball out. And when he does run, he needs to slide or get out of bounds. He has a tendency to fight for yardage and try to make people miss or run over defenders. On a final note, while his footwork was generally good, there were some plays where he needed to set his feet as he rushed the throw and it hurt his accuracy. I also think his decision making was at its worst when he was on the run. He throws well on the run but he tends to try to be a hero and will force balls at times or throw late. He needs to do a better job of taking what the defense gives him. Still, this is the guy I'd take a shot on developing behind Hill and Sam as I think he has starter potential.

Round 5 Pick #12 - Rob Havenstein OT/OG Wisconsin

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTftkxEBw0U

Analysis: Havenstein is a massive man at 6'8" 330 but I think he's one of the few really big guys that can play OG. He seems to do a nice job of getting leverage in the run game and is your typical Wisconsin OL. He's a blue collar guy that can get some movement in the run game. Doesn't have overpowering strength but is able to generate movement while drive blocking and does a solid job with his positioning and angles. Also seems to have good burst off the LOS for his size and is relatively fast in a straight-line. He won't be a backup LT for us as he doesn't have the lateral agility to play there in the NFL. I think he could be a backup RT but he'd likely need some help with chipping on more athletic OLBs and DEs as his lateral agility is mediocre and he can struggle to hold the corner against faster rushers. However, as an OG, I think he has potential. He has a wide base in pass pro and controls players when he gets his hands on them. He had to compensate for his lateral agility in space which affected his anchor but I think at OG, his anchor will be fine. Only thing that concerns me is leverage and flexibility but I think he can get away with it. Like Alex Boone, I think he's a big guy that can passable at OT but might have a future at OG. He'll provide depth behind Saffold, Cann, Collins, and Robinson.

Round 7 Pick #31 - J.J. Nelson WR/KR UAB

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P34KWtpfzAQ

Analysis: With this being the late 7th round, I usually look for a player that can fill a certain role for our team. J.J. Nelson returned FOUR kickoffs for TDs in 2014. He led the NCAA in average yards per kickoff return. Nelson is listed at 5'11" 160 but possesses breathtaking speed. I wouldn't be surprised if he flirts with a 4.2 40. I saw him run right by Phillip Gaines who ran in the mid 4.3s in a game. Nelson has rare speed, impressive cutting ability, and good balance which makes him a very dangerous returnman. However, the guy also actually has some WR skills that could allow him to challenge Givens's role as the situational deep threat. Even if he doesn't, this kid has potential to be a special teams dynamo. Bennie has done a great job on KRs this year but I'd love to get a guy who could take it to the house.

Starting Line-up
QB: Sam Bradford
HB: Tre Mason
FB: Cory Harkey
XWR: Brian Quick
ZWR: Kenny Britt
SLWR: Tavon Austin
TE: Jared Cook
LT: Greg Robinson
LG: A.J. Cann
C: Barrett Jones
RG: Rodger Saffold
RT: La'el Collins

LDE: Chris Long
LDT: Aaron Donald
RDT: Michael Brockers
RDE: Robert Quinn
WLB: Alec Ogletree
MLB: James Laurinaitis
SPUR: Mark Barron
LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Janoris Jenkins
NCB: E.J. Gaines
FS: Rodney McLeod
SS: T.J. McDonald

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
LS: Jake McQuaide
KR: J.J. Nelson
PR: Tavon Austin

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I don't know why I feel this way, but I don't think that Collins stays at tackle at the next level. And I'm very worried about you entrusting the center job to Jones and Barnes. I know that you love Cann as a prospect, and I can see why, but I feel that Reese Dismukes would be a much better pick if you're going to take Collins in the first round.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know why I feel this way, but I don't think that Collins stays at tackle at the next level. And I'm very worried about you entrusting the center job to Jones and Barnes. I know that you love Cann as a prospect, and I can see why, but I feel that Reese Dismukes would be a much better pick if you're going to take Collins in the first round.

Collins will have no issues staying at RT. He's much better suited for it than a guy like Brandon Scherff who is being picked in the same range. He's got the feet, arm length, and change of direction skills to do it.

And I'm not taking Dismukes over Cann. Cann is a better prospect and RG is a bigger need. As I said before, I feel okay about the Center position. I've seen Jones and Barnes play. They can handle it between two quality OGs. Plus, we have Rhaney too.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Collins will have no issues staying at RT. He's much better suited for it than a guy like Brandon Scherff who is being picked in the same range. He's got the feet, arm length, and change of direction skills to do it.

And I'm not taking Dismukes over Cann. Cann is a better prospect and RG is a bigger need. As I said before, I feel okay about the Center position. I've seen Jones and Barnes play. They can handle it between two quality OGs. Plus, we have Rhaney too.

I don't feel okay about the center position at all. If Jones can't even suit up and Barnes can't take Wells' spot in the lineup, then what does that say about how this coaching staff values them? And Rhaney, while he has potential, came from a smaller school, and the only reason he wasn't cut was because he landed on IR. I don't want just any center; I want a guy who knows the scheme calls and can actually block for a change.

I'm going to be frank; if we go into the season with one of those three (Barnes, Jones, Rhaney) as the projected starter, I'm going to be pissed at the Rams. Not nearly as pissed as I would be if they brought Wells back to start, but pissed nonetheless.

Rams0307

I'm not a big Collins fan, especially that early in the draft. He has trouble staying on his feet, and it's tough to do anything positive when you're always on the ground. I think he moves inside in the pros, so I wouldn't take him there. The rest seems good, but I haven't watched Carden yet.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Like it a lot. Big Collins fan.......Am I assuming Clemmings is gone at 12?

I haven't seen much of Carden but dieterbrock is talking him up too.

This would be a great off season, I like the conservative approach, I don't think we need to go crazy but the fix on the offensive line is great and Bolig is a great 6th Olineman.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's disturbing how much Cann looks like clowney but just on the opposite side of the South Carolina ball. I literally mean his face.

Anyway, I think our interior line needs the most work. I would rather have Cameron Erving and a nice guard. I can live with barksdale.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I like this approach, however, I might go in a different direction than Hill as the back-up. He's not played bad, but I would like a QB that can stretch the field better. As to center people forget about Demetrius Rhaney as well as an option if Jones does not measure up.

Shane Carden has been my choice after the elite two because of his ability to handle pressure and is very accurate as well. If he was 6'4 he would be going much higher. I'm hoping this fixes the offensive line once and for all and I would just like a healthy Bradford for once because as Ram fans God knows we deserve it.

wrstdude

Rookie
Love all the attention to the OL. Now is the time to treat it like we did our DL.

Win1-4Ned

Rookie
I'd be underwhelmed on Collins going purely by your description. That may also be because it sharply contrasts with your enthusiasm for Clemmings.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not a big Collins fan, especially that early in the draft. He has trouble staying on his feet, and it's tough to do anything positive when you're always on the ground. I think he moves inside in the pros, so I wouldn't take him there. The rest seems good, but I haven't watched Carden yet.

I think you're exaggerating a bit. He doesn't have a elite balance but I haven't noticed him having trouble staying on his feet. He hurts himself in the run game because he can get out of control but as a pass protector, I haven't seen his balance become an issue.

He can play OT in the NFL...and he can play it at a high level.

I'd be underwhelmed on Collins going purely by your description. That may also be because it sharply contrasts with your enthusiasm for Clemmings.

Collins is a perfectly good prospect. He's just not Clemmings. Doesn't have the same freakish athleticism. But he's got the athleticism to play OT and play it well when you add in his power and size.

Like it a lot. Big Collins fan.......Am I assuming Clemmings is gone at 12?

I haven't seen much of Carden but dieterbrock is talking him up too.

This would be a great off season, I like the conservative approach, I don't think we need to go crazy but the fix on the offensive line is great and Bolig is a great 6th Olineman.

Yep, Clemmings is gone or else he's my pick.

Carden was a pleasant surprise. That's for sure.

It's disturbing how much Cann looks like clowney but just on the opposite side of the South Carolina ball. I literally mean his face.

Anyway, I think our interior line needs the most work. I would rather have Cameron Erving and a nice guard. I can live with barksdale.

I can live with a guy doesn't work for me when we're going to have to throw decent money at him. And while Erving is a talented kid...I don't think he should be starting Day 1. So those of you who don't want Jones or Barnes starting will likely be disappointed.

I don't feel okay about the center position at all. If Jones can't even suit up and Barnes can't take Wells' spot in the lineup, then what does that say about how this coaching staff values them? And Rhaney, while he has potential, came from a smaller school, and the only reason he wasn't cut was because he landed on IR. I don't want just any center; I want a guy who knows the scheme calls and can actually block for a change.

I'm going to be frank; if we go into the season with one of those three (Barnes, Jones, Rhaney) as the projected starter, I'm going to be pissed at the Rams. Not nearly as pissed as I would be if they brought Wells back to start, but pissed nonetheless.

I might buy that if I hadn't seen both play.

And since you bring up the line calls...are you really going to trust a rookie to do that...with Sam Bradford back there?

Barrett Jones is highly intelligent and this will be his third year in our system. It'll be...what...Barnes's fourth year? Both of those guys are more than capable of making line calls and are not liabilities in the middle.

Rams0307

Went back and watched Collins today. Could definitely see him playing right tackle. Hadn't given it much consideration, but with Barksdale struggling down the stretch, it may be a good move to take a RT. I'd rather have Clemmings, though, if we take one.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Went back and watched Collins today. Could definitely see him playing right tackle. Hadn't given it much consideration, but with Barksdale struggling down the stretch, it may be a good move to take a RT. I'd rather have Clemmings, though, if we take one.

So would I. Easily. But I am worried that ship is sailing away. He'll be going to the Senior Bowl...hopefully like AD...teams are dumb enough to let him fall to us.

Memento

Name
Jemma
I might buy that if I hadn't seen both play.

And since you bring up the line calls...are you really going to trust a rookie to do that...with Sam Bradford back there?

Barrett Jones is highly intelligent and this will be his third year in our system. It'll be...what...Barnes's fourth year? Both of those guys are more than capable of making line calls and are not liabilities in the middle.

And now that it's come out that Wells was starting over them even with an elbow issue, what do you think? Barnes has been in the league five years now. He's not going to suddenly impress everyone. Jones has had injury troubles ever since he came into the league. I don't even know what to make of Rhaney.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And now that it's come out that Wells was starting over them even with an elbow issue, what do you think? Barnes has been in the league five years now. He's not going to suddenly impress everyone. Jones has had injury troubles ever since he came into the league. I don't even know what to make of Rhaney.

The same thing I've said for quite awhile...Fisher is starting a vet when he's not the best player. I've seen Barnes and Jones play. They're better than Wells right now...and they can snap the ball correctly.

Memento

Name
Jemma
The same thing I've said for quite awhile...Fisher is starting a vet when he's not the best player. I've seen Barnes and Jones play. They're better than Wells right now...and they can snap the ball correctly.

Barnes has had three starts worth at center in the NFL. Jones? Thirty-three snaps against a backup defense at the NFL level.

Believe me, I want Jones to be an awesome center because that would make the lives of Rams fans so much easier. But I at least want someone brought in to compete for the job because I don't share the same faith.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Barnes has had three starts worth at center in the NFL. Jones? Thirty-three snaps against a backup defense at the NFL level.

Believe me, I want Jones to be an awesome center because that would make the lives of Rams fans so much easier. But I at least want someone brought in to compete for the job because I don't share the same faith.

There is someone to compete. Rhaney.

That was not a backup defense. They didn't even pull half their starters. Regardless of how many games they have, we have real NFL tape. Which I've seen. And those guys are better than Wells this year. If you don't agree, go ahead and watch it for yourself.

I don't care if Jones is an awesome center. The guy can be adequate from the physical standpoint...and that's all we need.

Memento

Name
Jemma
There is someone to compete. Rhaney.

That was not a backup defense. They didn't even pull half their starters. Regardless of how many games they have, we have real NFL tape. Which I've seen. And those guys are better than Wells this year. If you don't agree, go ahead and watch it for yourself.

I don't care if Jones is an awesome center. The guy can be adequate from the physical standpoint...and that's all we need.

Rhaney is an unknown variable. Came from a small school, was on IR this year, could have easily been cut.

They pulled Poe during the snaps that Jones took; you said that yourself. And yes, they're better than Wells this year, but that's really not saying that much, given how bad Wells has been. If I had seen Jones match up against Poe and hold his own, then I'd agree with you completely. But given the injuries he's had, serious injuries like a Lisfranc and back issues, and the limited amount of snaps he's had, I don't like going all in with him as the starter.

And Barnes, while better than Wells, still gets overpowered at the line of scrimmage. I saw that during the 2013 Seahawks game when Mebane got pressure in Clemens' face all game long from the middle.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rhaney is an unknown variable. Came from a small school, was on IR this year, could have easily been cut.

Yea but he's here to compete. And I doubt they would have cut him. From what I've heard, the Rams like Rhaney a lot.

They pulled Poe during the snaps that Jones took; you said that yourself. And yes, they're better than Wells this year, but that's really not saying that much, given how bad Wells has been. If I had seen Jones match up against Poe and hold his own, then I'd agree with you completely. But given the injuries he's had, serious injuries like a Lisfranc and back issues, and the limited amount of snaps he's had, I don't like going all in with him as the starter.

They pulled Poe and replaced him with Vance Walker. That's like the Rams pulling Chris Long and replacing him with William Hayes. Vance Walker was starting for teams in 2012 and 2013. He's one of the better rotational DTs in the NFL.

I agree about the injuries but that's why we have Barnes and Rhaney.

And Barnes, while better than Wells, still gets overpowered at the line of scrimmage. I saw that during the 2013 Seahawks game when Mebane got pressure in Clemens' face all game long from the middle.

I agree...but he's adequate enough to get the job done if we have to go to him for a year.

You can't fill every hole.

Rainram

Starter
I'm losing confidence in Jones very quickly. I'm okay with Barnes as a backup. If we keep the bunch we have, you have to HOPE Rhaney really steps up. If we're running an increasingly immobile Bradford out there he will need as 'Tom Brady-esque' of a pocket that we can give him. He's always needed that type of pocket and we haven't provided it.

So on top of the Rhaney/Barnes/Jones trio...we're gonna line up a rookie OG. Granted, should be a high pick/Day 1 starter and all, but a rookie none the less. Gee, I wonder what every single Defense will dial up.....and the results will be too similar to this year.

For my money...I want Wisniewski. I would hope not to break the bank. But give me the veteran, who is still young, established, can make the calls and can...GASP!...pass block. He's faced the defenses in the AFC West twice a year for a few years...that's the Chiefs, Broncos and Chargers...those are good D's...and they give some different looks.

Robinson....Saffold....Wisniewski...Rookie 1st/2nd Rounder....Barksdale/FA/Rookie.

We can always add a TE, WR, or help out the right side of our line a number of ways. Only so much you can do when the middle is a sieve.

Stefen Wisniewski please.

EDIT: Quick edit to add that I like Grayson more than Carden. The more I watch of Grayson, the more I like.

Last edited: