Joyner being moved to Free Safety?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Been almost nothing, but good news this off-season. Only thing that didn't happen was us getting Groy.

Besides that, this off-season has been fantastic.

And you all know I wouldn't say it if I didn't totally believe it. I was the exact opposite last season.

If we get a difference maker at WR, be it Gordon or someone stepping up or a different Vet, this team is primed to shock the league.

First off Les said that is highly unlikely.He is looking hard into the draft.

I think it is a WR if not a CB.

Groy ?? Everyone says it was bad , but not really . For the price tag it would have been excellent . I really didn't see that much from him though. He looked average at best.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I have thought every sense we drafted him, this is what Joyner should be doing!!(y)(y)

-- Eactly !! How many times did team look for who he was guarding on 3rd downs ? He was just to small, & a little slow.

As a FS he gets read offenses & react. He has a good IQ for the game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would argue that everybody and his brother on ROD do not in total equate the experience and understanding of Gregg Williams OR Jeff Fisher on the skills necessary to play safety in the NFL. It is always exciting to think of the unknown, but the coaches watch the players and talk to them, and they (at least defensively with those two guys) know things we can never hope to know. There is absolutely zero reason to just assume that Joyner will succeed at safety. The same for Revis. It is not that simple, I think.

And college is not the same as the pros, not even close, to state the obvious.

There are many reasons why. He played safety in college. There's quite a bit of film to use to evaluate him.

Plus, you're ignoring that different schemes ask for different skill-sets. GW valued Joyner's versatility as a slot corner greatly. It allowed him to use smaller, faster personnel because Joyner could play the run like an extra safety in the box. You assume that GW didn't think that Joyner could succeed at safety, but it's just as possible that GW felt that Joyner was more valuable to him as a slot CB.

A55VA6

Legend
I like Joyner at FS, thought he should've been there from the get go. I guess we'll see though.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Still, we worked well before with an undersized MLB in London Fletcher so perhaps an undersized FS with an enormous heart will do well.

Lamarcus Joyner is listed at 5'8", 184.

Tyrann Mathieu is listed at 5'9", 186.

I get the height thing, but if your safety is 1-on-1 with a 6'5" receiver, somebody done goofed anyways.

Ram65

Legend
Seemed Fisher liked him @ the slot because he would tackle and could blitz..ie versatile. He is not good @ cb. Got try him @ FS. Im not positive he will be very good but, he could be.

Last edited:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Let's see here, he excelled at Free Safety in college everybody and his brother on ROD has posted moving Joyner to FS including every mock draft everybody has done....Inquiring minds would like to know why Fisher & Williams did not follow this formula, maybe Williams likes his safeties to be bigger? Anyways this is good news and I'm anxious to see Joyner in this role.

IMO GW really got the most he could out of Joyner as the slot CB. Thats not to say Joyner wont be very good at FS, I think he is just a smart football player that doesnt let his size stop him from playing the role of a LB on run plays in GWs D. JF and GW always claimed there was no real FS/SS in their D, it was LeftS and RightS

And I have no doubt that WP will also get a lot out of Joyner at FS, he can cover the slot, blitz of the slot, play center field or make the tackle when he is the last line of defense. Joyner will not do the old Dahl ole' and allow the ball carrier a free path to the endzone.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Watched This dude here at FSU play his ass off and win a National Championship at the position Phillips is returning him too. I'm too much of a fan to be fair in this move. I'm very excited that Joyner will return to his niche. Keep it comin guys.:yess:

Ditto. I am a big Joyner fan... hopefully this move brings out his best play.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Awesome! I'm pleased that Joyner is moving to free safety. Let him and Mo bring the pain. :D

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Just read this...

Alden GonzalezESPN Staff Writer
Major blow for TJ McDonald, the former Ram and current free-agent safety who, according to ESPN's Field Yates, has been suspended for the first eight games of the 2017 season. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported that it stemmed from McDonald's May DUI, which included drug charges. The Rams figured something would eventually come down from that, but were going to move on anyway. Maurice Alexander is moving over to strong safety, and Lamarcus Joyner has a strong chance of being the free safety on 3-4 sets (slot corner in nickel/dime packages).

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Well, I will definitely throw my hat in with wanting to see him at FS, since we drafted him. Will he succeed? I hope so, but what I like even more about this move is that Mo, plays mucho better when he is aggressive, mucho. I hope they can both thrive at their new positions.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
With this move of Joyner to FS & Mo back to SS places these two younger DB's in their best positions to make plays. I thought that Joyner played SSLB post with some Nickle action myself.;)

This would leave EJ Gaines & Blake Countess a position to fight over ...The Nickle!

Now just get a few good drafted outside corners with some speed to go with Troy Hill, Micheal Jordan, Kayvon Webster & Trumaine Johnson.

Last edited:

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idk there is a lot of talent at FS this year definitely hope we draft one

HellRam

Starter
This is a so so move for me. What gives me faith is this is Phillip's D. So it should work right???

We know Joyner is a pretty good slot CB (underrated IMO). We'll see what kind of FS he makes at the NFL level. My only knock is this creates a possible hole at nickel CB. However it could fill a hole at FS. I do see some similarities between Mcleod and Joyner and thats a good thing.

Not sure how this draft is for safety's but mostly overall I've heard its deep. I was originally thinking they were going to draft a safety. SS or FS pending what they did with Mo.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
With how I understand Wade's coverage system works. It's a zone/man scheme. Meaning they'll play a man but they are only playing man to a certain zone and they will pass off receivers to other coverage players. I really like the idea of Joyner sitting back and reading the play waiting for a player to be passed onto him, but then being a heat seeking missile when the ball is in the air.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
So if Joyner is a FS in base sets and moves down to CB during Nickle/Dime sets, who plays FS then? Davis, draft pick, someone else?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There are many reasons why. He played safety in college. There's quite a bit of film to use to evaluate him.

Plus, you're ignoring that different schemes ask for different skill-sets. GW valued Joyner's versatility as a slot corner greatly. It allowed him to use smaller, faster personnel because Joyner could play the run like an extra safety in the box. You assume that GW didn't think that Joyner could succeed at safety, but it's just as possible that GW felt that Joyner was more valuable to him as a slot CB.

I just think his talents fit as a FS . He is a smart football player who covers a lot of ground. Is a good tackler. His height was the major draw back. He had to cover bigger Wr's & TE's .
He will have beable to watch(read) & react . He can actually Use his atlethic ability to jump in front for picks, or time his hits as the ball floats in to a receiver .
He seems to almost always be in the right place , but chasing does not work well for him because of his size.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Cavanuagh was a weird one last year, totally unproven, the tape that had on him was not that impressive cornerback needy Tennessee didn't even attempt to resign him.

So let's give the guy a gazillion dollars! :)