Jim Thomas: Rams couldn't have won without help from inept Bucs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAMSinLA

Hall of Fame
:dizzy:So if the Bucs played better than the Rams the Rams would have lost? Oh so that's how it works...
:rolllaugh:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I've stopped reading Thomas because he has become a miserable whiner llike several of his cohorts at the PD. But imo it is simply wrong to suggest the Rams won because of TB ineptitude. TB played very well overall but the Rams made enough outstanding plays to come out on top. In particular, the D stopping Winston at the end was not an accident, they have come up big like this more than a few times now (seattle last week, Arizona on the road last year, TB last year if that was the game where McDonald made the big hit to put it away.) Yes TB could have taken another time out, but I assumed they wanted to keep rolling to keep the D on its heels. In any event they had plenty of shots but the D stopped them. The Rams earned a tough win in tough conditions.

Sure, the Rams made enough plays to come out on top. But, to suggest that Tampa didn't have some inept moments that really helped seems rather disingenuous. C'mon, if Tampa would have "made enough plays to come out on top" wouldn't this board be littered with posts about Rams mistakes that cost them the game?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Game was decided by 5 yards - it could have been any one of over a hundred snaps that made the difference. Football is like that. Nice to see the Rams on the winning side but let's not pretend like it couldn't have very easily gone the other way.

Memphis Ram

Legend
In the OP, not much. You don't get the full scope of his general snarkiness/bitterness from that alone. However, in his chat from today (courtesy of @Prime Time), you get a better idea of how he really feels.

While true, it's not really objective - nor does it answer the question (a serious question, btw). He could have just as easily added something like, "... however, if the Rams' defense tightens up and the offense continues on this track, then you'd have to start taking them a little more seriously.

But, why should anyone really care if he's bitter or not or how he feels? Why not simply focus on the game and the points made? And especially, if what he pointed out was true?

I guess that's the world we live in today. Kill the messenger and avoid the message.o_O

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But, why should anyone really care if he's bitter or not or how he feels? Why not simply focus on the game and the points made? And especially, if what he pointed out was true?
I guess that's the world we live in today. Kill the messenger and avoid the message.o_O
Ardunno, man. Internetz.

I don't care if he hates this team or loves this team. He's just another guy to me. And I don't know why anyone would care about his opinions anymore than they would care about Bernie's or Sando's or Clayton's or their Mailman's. Some fans are just sensitive about someone railing on their team and other fans are less offended by that. I'm obviously more defensive about stuff like that, but I tend to also consider the source most of the time.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
In all seriousness - I just hope this doesn't turn into a place where you are told to leave if you don't jump on board. Teenage girls - douche - they are both personal insults and neither one is probably the right way to address each other. I just don't want to see any fans who are trying to hang on but still working through some hard feelings shown the door for not saluting the colors.

You know I like you, 503 - I don't mean this to be a personal admonishment of any sort. I just don't like the 'Then leave' line of thought.
I'm going to call stuff like that as I see it. If anyone wants to refer to the members here like that, they ARE being a douche. Pretty simple.

Well heck, it's always a treat to get such a warm & fuzzy response.
Give it a rest. You expected a warm and fuzzy response from your analogy? I called bullshit.

It is a forum created by people who are free to allow or censor any discussion they choose. I likely won't leave voluntarily, but it's equally unlikely I'll join the Sunshine & Lollipops crowd.
And this is a straw man argument. It's true, we don't allow people to get on here just to trash the Rams organization but we don't insist anyone blindly talk about everything as if it is perfect. I'm pretty sure everyone honestly knows this so this kind of rhetoric is once again bullshit.

Sure, the Rams made enough plays to come out on top. But, to suggest that Tampa didn't have some inept moments that really helped seems rather disingenuous. C'mon, if Tampa would have "made enough plays to come out on top" wouldn't this board be littered with posts about Rams mistakes that cost them the game?
Isn't that to be said with virtually every game though? You could say that if the Rams hadn't had some "inept" moments, they would have waxed Tampa. The idea that Dirk's clock management is what cost the Bucs the game is inaccurate for one specific reason. No one knows if the Bucs had 2,3,10 more plays that they would have scored a TD. The fact is that the Rams made more plays than the Bucs and came out on top.

Game was decided by 5 yards - it could have been any one of over a hundred snaps that made the difference. Football is like that. Nice to see the Rams on the winning side but let's not pretend like it couldn't have very easily gone the other way.
Maybe so. And it could have been a blow out if not for a couple plays.

What is the message we are supposed to take from it? That the Bucs should have won the game? The only reason we won was due to the ineptness of the Bucs? I don't see it that way and I'm guessing a great many Rams fans don't see it that way. The messenger WROTE the message. You think it really fits that metaphor?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams have now beaten the Bucs 5 straight under Fisher. Maybe there's just a wee bit more to it than just Tampa's "inept playing"

FrankenRam

Starter
I'm going to call stuff like that as I see it. If anyone wants to refer to the members here like that, they ARE being a douche. Pretty simple.

Give it a rest. You expected a warm and fuzzy response from your analogy? I called bullcrap.

And this is a straw man argument. It's true, we don't allow people to get on here just to trash the Rams organization but we don't insist anyone blindly talk about everything as if it is perfect. I'm pretty sure everyone honestly knows this so this kind of rhetoric is once again bullcrap.

So I'm wondering......'butthurt' is a term that's been tossed around this forum in reference to member fans more than a couple times. Would I have drawn your ire had I used that term in my original post?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So I'm wondering......'butthurt' is a term that's been tossed around this forum in reference to member fans more than a couple times. Would I have drawn your ire had I used that term in my original post?
If it was directed at a fellow member? Most likely. Got examples of that happening? I haven't seen them.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member

By that same token why should anybody care about another person's opinion of JT? What he pointed out is a nice hypothetical and only half the story IMO. But my opinion matters as much as JT's which is not much at all.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
By that same token why should anybody care about another person's opinion of JT? What he pointed out is a nice hypothetical and only half the story IMO. But my opinion matters as much as JT's which is not much at all.
Nah - I'd say it matters more. :love:
:cool:

PARAM

Hall of Fame

And that's the case in more than half of NFL games. Last year 54.7% of games were decided by 8 points or less. 51.2% by 7 or less. And 23% by 3 points or less. So it goes without saying a play here and a play there could have reversed the outcome in those games. Coming into 2016, under Fisher the Rams are 13-14-1 in games decided by 8 points or less, so with us it could go either way in close games. Yet we're 2-0 this year. Last year in those 54.7% of games decided by 8 points or less some teams made a habit of winning them. Denver ws 9-3. Carolina was 7-1. New England was 6-3. Arizona was 5-1. While the rams were 5-4. And like I said, this year we're 2-0. So maybe we're getting better in learning how to win those types of games. Like not giving up despite giving the opponent the ball on their 45 with just under 2 minutes left and 2 timeouts?

Ardunno, man. Internetz.

I don't care if he hates this team or loves this team. He's just another guy to me. And I don't know why anyone would care about his opinions anymore than they would care about Bernie's or Sando's or Clayton's or their Mailman's. Some fans are just sensitive about someone railing on their team and other fans are less offended by that. I'm obviously more defensive about stuff like that, but I tend to also consider the source most of the time.

As soon as it was announced the Rams were moving to L.A., JT turned into Stillwell Angel from League of Their Own. I think that is what has some Ram fans railing on him. But it's a natural reaction (in JT's case). When the NFL awarded Jacksonville the last expansion franchise when St. Louis was attempting to secure it, Bernie went balistic about the NFL. Honor among thieves and all that. Yet once the Rams moved to St. Louis it was all better.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Here's what bothers me:

1. members who only show up to post after a loss
2. members who complain more than celebrate after a win
3. members who insinuate that they're being censored

giphy.gif

Don't know about the rest of you but I have enough serious crap in my life to deal with on a daily basis, that I don't have to come here and be even more miserable.

Btw the reason I do the Jim Thomas Chats here each week is to mix some humor, by way of the gifs, in with the absurdity of most of the questions and some of the answers. It amuses me. Humor is a good thing. It tends to even out the tension. We could use a lot more of it here at ROD, in my opinion.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Here's what bothers me:

3. members who insinuate that they're being censored.............

.......Btw the reason I do the Jim Thomas Chats here each week is to mix some humor, by way of the gifs, in with the absurdity of most of the questions and some of the answers. It amuses me. Humor is a good thing. It tends to even out the tension. We could use a lot more of it here at ROD, in my opinion.

And there's nothing wrong with that IMHO.

As far as #1-3.......there's an old saying......"if it weren't for the optimist, the pessimist wouldn't know how happy he isn't"

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Here's what bothers me:

3. members who insinuate that they're being censored.
200.gif

And to elaborate a little...and tell a little story.
I was a Phoenix Suns fan for 25 years. As time went on and championships continued to be won by teams NOT named the Phoenix Suns, i felt like I KNEW what they were doing wrong and what they needed to do to do it RIGHT. I started posting on a Suns board(a very positive-reinforced-thinking board like this one) and let it be known how i felt about it. The team, it's owner, the players and even the fanbase of which i was a part of...and my comments were often met with criticism. I felt like almost the entire board was living in a delusional, sunshine & rainbows Suns fantasy world where i was the only one who was telling it like it is.

One day several years ago i realized that i was simply a bitter Suns fan who no longer liked or believed in the team i had loved for decades. I also realized that i was ruining the fan experience for just about everyone else on that board. So i simply stopped posting there.

Now, I still say they're a dumb team and they ARE doing it wrong (0-48 and counting) :ROFLMAO: but i realized that it's just not worth it to continue to be a lazy, bitter fan posting constant negativity, vitriol and hate on a fan board. It's a broken record and others don't need to hear that crap day in and day out and every time the team suffers a setback.

If the above describes YOU....please...just man up and leave, or point your browser to a different Rams board where that lazy negativity is welcome.