Jim Thomas: NFL Chat - 7/18/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A short one today. These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below.
******************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_19?Page=0

Did the Rams seriously consider drafting Manziel or was it just a smokescreen?

No, they were very serious about Johnny Football. And turns out they were tempted. I remember one assistant coast just raving about him around draft time. But the Rams were a little wary. As one team official told me: "We didn't have one person tell us, 'If you pass on this guy, you're going to regret it.' " And that apparently struck a chord.

200.gif

-----------
If you had to tell ex-Rams fans how to find a team to root for, what advice would you give them? And not just geographical proximity, right...?

Maybe you don't have to pick a team _ just enjoy the game. But there are a million reasons why fans follow teams. Maybe they grew up in a certain town or used to live there. Maybe you like a certain team's star players. Maybe you like their uniforms. Maybe you like their tradition, like a Green Bay. Maybe you go back to the football Cardinals. Or maybe geography does figure in.

You live in Missouri, so you root for the Chiefs. You live on the East Side, which means Illinois, so you pick the Bears. I've run into all types around town and on-line or via e-mail. I ran into a local couple over the weekend who said they will remain Rams fans because that's the only team they've known. Another person I talked to said he was going with the Colts, they're not far away, and he planned to go to a game in Indy this year.

I've heard a fan or two saying they will start following the Jaguars because they've got what appears to be an up-and-coming team and they like Jacksonville owner Shad Khan, who of course tried to become owner of the Rams. And I also run into those who say they are so fed up with the NFL over the departure of the Rams that they will quit following the league.
-------------
Have you heard what the heck is going on with Tre Mason? Will he be at camp?

Have not heard anything on Mason. But I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be in camp.
-------------
As for LA Rams net worth, I predict top 10 in world when Inglewood opens. Book it!

There's no doubt the franchise worth should be north of $2 billion when that happens, which should put them in the top 20.
------------
I have to comment about the continued juvenile jabs and barbs directed at Stan Kroenke and the Rams organization. I live in Central CA and have been a Rams fan since the early 70's. When they left LA for St. Louis, I was bitter and upset; however, I never stopped following and rooting for them! I can count on two hands how many Rams games I missed viewing over the last 20 years.

One thing that was evident while watching go the Rams in recent years was the lack of fans in the stands. I understand the Rams performance on the field has been poor at times, and they always seem so close to turning the corner. I've been frustrated by their lack of wins and performance at times, but I never stopped supporting them! I couldn't be happier that they have returned home, and will be making the 300+ mile trip to see them a few times a year.

Win, lose or draw, I will continue to be a loyal Ram fan, not a band wagon jumper that only likes them when times are good. So, to all the "former" St. Louis Ram fans, stop with the sour grapes, it's very annoying and childish. Either your a fan or your not, regardless of their location and record!

Your loyalty is admirable. But I ask you this, if another team had come to the LA market between 1995 and now, would you still be a Rams supporter? Also, to say the Rams performance has been "poor at times" would be very generous. Try four winning seasons in 21 years, albeit the winning years were spectacular with the Greatest Show teams.

The Rams have been close to turning the corner the past couple of years, but before that? Well, I wouldn't call 2-14 (2011), 1-15 (2009), 2-14 (2008), and 3-13 (2007) close to turning the corner. Couple this with the owner not only threatening to move the team in the final but having no _ zero _ communication at all with the fans, and it's a wonder anyone was in the stands.

steve.gif

-------------
Joe, where are you percentage wise on the Rams moving to LA?

33c3xiw.jpg

You must have the wrong chat. This is Jim. not Joe.
------------
Read your piece on Bulger and had this question, who would you say is Marc's comparable in todays game as far as talent and skillset? Also, what current team would benefit most from his services today if he was in his prime?

interesting question, T-berry. What we're talking about with Bulger is very good accuracy, but not the strongest arm. Average mobility. Smart. Willing to take a hit. Off the top of my head, Andy Dalton comes to mind. As for your second question, there are a lot of teams that could use quarterback help. It would be interesting to see him with the New York Jets or Minnesota.
------------
Do you ever see the NFL reacting to the plight of STL fans the same way it did to Cleveland fans in trying to give the city a franchise after an owner seemingly stole a team away in the dead of the night? If so, who could you envision spear heading the efforts to own the team/building the stadium?

During his Super Bowl press conference, Roger Goodell told me he would certainly want to talk to Gov. Nixon again if St. Louis came up with a workable stadium plan. Obviously though, St. Louis has every reason to be skeptical of anything the Commish says on the topic. I don't not see the NFL viewing StL in an "oh, poor Cleveland" type of way.

This is still viewed in most corners nationally as a baseball town. After all the time and effort expended on the most recent stadium effort, I really don't see anyone leading a charge to get the NFL back to St. Louis among the current group of civic leaders.
-----------
What does your gut tell you about how the NFL views St. Louis now? Are they (Goodell, Aiello, et al) so far in Stan's back pocket that they believe everything he said about us, or are there cooler, more objective minds in the league office that understand that we fans had nothing to do with what happened?

I think the league viewed St. Louis as acceptable collateral damage to get a team back in Los Angeles. I think there are some in the league who agree _ in varying degrees _ with Kroenke's portrayal of St. Louis as some kind of dying market. And I think this new wave of NFL ownership _ the Jerry Jones' of the league _ are all about maximizing revenue $$$$, and don't view St. Louis as a city that will do that for the league.
-----------
This is more for your online sports editor than you, but can anyone on the P-D sports staff explain why there is still legacy Rams content in the NFL section? As examples: the 2016 Rams schedule, NFC West standings, filing your weekend story under a Rams Report section, and listing the Rams as if they were still a St. Louis area team in the NFL and Hoch Corner forum descriptions.

If the NFL was able to update their online content to LA Rams the night of the relocation decision, why can't the St. Louis Post Dispatch accomplish the same type of site maintenance removing the Rams references sometime within the last six months?

As last week's poll numbers confirmed, 75% of your respondents no longer follow the Rams.

Appreciate being able to express my concerns. - by LA Rams Hater

VU0NjSg.gif

I'll say simply this. If you are such a Rams hater, why do you care?
------------
Which team do you see as the most improved this season and which team will take a nosedive?

At least at the start of this season, I'm going to really have my eyes on Oakland and Jacksonville. Both teams were very active in free agency, and both teams I thought had good drafts. Oakland looks to be closer than Jax; Carr appears to be on the verge of being a pretty good QB.

As for nosedive, you wonder about Denver with free agency losses and the departure of both Manning and Osweiler. Now, I don't think they're going to suddenly go 6-10, but I can't see them as a true Super Bowl contender.

Seattle also has seen a talent drain in recent years. And now, minus Marshawn Lynch, will Russell Wilson be able to carry them more with his arm? He showed some signs of doing so last year.
-----------
what happens if Gurley goes down?

5-11
-----------
My expectations for the Rams D this year are not as high as in recent years. How do you see the Defense performing this season?

I kind of agree with you. Maybe the Rams cut ties with Laurinaitis and Long at just the right time. But I think they will miss their leadership. Who's the free safety? Will Gaines pick up where he left off as a rookie? I think Ogletree will do fine at middle linebacker, but can Barron hold up over an entire season at weakside linebacker? Can Quinn get his mojo back after the back issues last season? I don't see as much overall depth on that side of the ball this year.
---------
Concerning increasing guaranteed salary for high end players, do NFL teams take out insurance on big name players like MLB teams do to limit their loses in case of player injury?

Don't think that's the case.
---------
Does Jared Goff have NFL arm strength in your opinion? Is it comparable to any current franchise QB?

And do you believe London will have their own NFL franchise before 2022?

On Goff, I'd have to see more of him. As much as the league would like to make London happen, I just can't see the logistics working.
---------
Is there any way to determine what kind of hit local charities will take with the NFL leaving St. Louis. Were there many local facilities that benefited from NFL charitable dollars?

Glad you brought this up. The Rams did all kinds of charity and community service work in St. Louis _ it was one of the best things about their time here. It's something that probably should've been talked about more as one of the consequences of the team leaving. Although former Rams players such as Marc Bulger, Kurt Warner, and Isaac Bruce still do charitable foundation work here, it's not the same as having a team here.

Here are some highlights of community service work in St. Louis. 1.) In 2014, 38 players, coach Jeff Fisher, GM Les Snead, and COO Kevin Demoff combined to purchase 8,300 tickets for local charities and school groups to attend Rams home games. 2.) Each month the Rams front office staff took a day to perform community service work in the community, building playgrounds, speaking to groups, etc. 3.)

More substantial improvements were made to the football field at the Boys & Girls Club of Greater St. Louis. 4.) The Rams hosted an annual United Way fundraising luncheon. 5.) There was a Sack Homelessness program by the defensive linemen.. 6.) A Make-a-Wish event raised more than $2 million in 2014. Those are just a few.
----------
From a strictly business decision, do you think SK made a good business decision in moving the Rams back to LA?

Also, do you think this was his master plan to move back to LA even back when he first bought his 40% of the Rams with the understanding that he would have first rights to buy the remainder of the Rams if the remaining 60% of the Rams were sold? Something tells me this was his master plan.

There's no doubt Stan Kroenke figures to make more money in LA, and the franchise value will increase. But he made tons of money in St. Louis, particularly in the team's early years here when it was one of the most profitable NFL franchises. And was still making money at the end. I don't think it was his master plan in 1994, when he agreed to buy up to 40% of the Rams, but it's pretty clear now that it, uh, crossed his mind when he took over controlling interest in 2010.
---------
I'll be attending Training Camp in Irvine. What's the best strategy to scout the talent? Are there segments of practice from which you've learned the most over the years? If I spot you there, Jim, I'll say hi and thanks for your StL coverage over the years. FYI, I'm an old school Rams fan (met Merlin Olson, Deacon Jones, et al) AND also loved attending games in St. Louis. See, we're not all uninformed demons in So Cal.

Please say hi if you see me opening weekend. As for practice, some of my favorite drills were the one-on-one pass blocking/pass rushing drills between the offensive line and defensive line. These could get pretty intense. A pass blocking drill involving linebackers and running backs is always entertaining as well. So is the one-on-one passing drills involving defensive backs and receivers.

Such drills can give you some hints on a player's individual skills, but are not a tell-all because as you know there's not full contact in camp. Keep in mind, until 11-on-11 time, training camp practice is like a three-ring circus with stuff going on all over the place with 90 players.

Sometimes it's best just to go into a practice with a preconceived idea of what you're going to watch. Such as, today, I'm going to watch the defensive line. Or today I'll focus on the cornerbacks. Soak it all in. I always enjoyed training camp as the best time to learn about the roster.
----------
Is there any plan for putting video of this weekend's show on the P-D? That's something I would certainly be willing to pay extra to see. Regardless- I hope all of you have a great time. But then- the organizer Brruuuucccceee always did know the right thing to do.

I think we will have someone out there shooting some video, but certainly just snippets, not the entire game.
---------
I saw the team that has forsaken our hometown is putting on their own "Legends" game in Carson. Is that a response to Bruce's game? And could you relay to Isaac the suggestion of making this game a regular charity event? I'm sad that I won't be able to make it this weekend to see the players I followed growing up.

I don't know if the Carson "Legends' games is a response to what Isaac is doing. I just know that in 21 years in St. Louis, the Rams never held a legends game here. There's a lot of time, cost, and effort that has gone into putting on this game _ just one example, Bruce is being charged several times more what the Rams rent was for one game in the dome.

Throw in the fact that it's difficult to get all these former players in the same place at one time, and I think it's highly unlikely we'll see another such charity game here. For many of these players, it might be the last time they're in St,. Louis. A good thought, though.
---------
So Marshall can't make this weekend's game but he can make the la version of it. Tells me what i have always thought about him. Marshall cares only about Marshall.

2l2p8p.jpg

From what I was told, Faulk had some commitments this weekend that he couldn't get out of.
----------
it seems like perhaps the silver lining to this situation is STL got out while the getting's good in regards to the pro football business. with the cable bundle in jeopardy, and the larger concern that parents are pulling their kids out of football, what do you think the revenue from the NFL looks like 10, 20 years from now?

There are certainly a lot of issues with the NFL today, but until ratings actually start declining I'll have a hard time believing that the NFL is in any kind of trouble.
------------
The Rams prioritized resigning it's defensive backfield. Two of the free agents left and a third is playing under a one year franchise tag rather than a long term deal. Recognizing the possibility that letting them go rather than overpaying may be a better option, did the Rams succeed or fail this offseason?

You can never have enough good corners, and the price of business only goes up in the NFL. So I'm saying the Rams would be better with Trumaine Johnson not eating up all that cap space with the franchise tag. We'll see how Jenkins pans out in New York. Although I don't think McLeod played as well last year as he did in 2014, he will be tough to replace at free safety.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
JT mentions the Rams losing record, again, for the lack of attendance in St. Louis. What gets me is how he fails to mention how the Rams were losers and that didn't seem to matter when Georgia moved the Rams to St. Louis. The Rams record five year prior to moving to St. Louis:

'90 5-11
'91 3-13
'92 6-10
'93 5-11
'94 4-12

JT sure didn't seem to mind St. Louis getting "a loser" back in '95. Seems kind of hypocritical to cite losing when you knew that was the kind of team you asked to come to St. Louis.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So that one posting douche wants Gurley to get injured...*smh..There's a reason I like my dog more than most people.