Jim Thomas: NFL Chat - 5/3/16(More filling, less snark)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below. Every snarky remark by JT or someone else, which I've limited, will be followed by a gif or pic for my amusement. It's the only way I can continue doing this. :)
***********************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_16?Page=0

Jim Thomas: NFL Chat

I get the sense that Dallas feels like they blew it on not going bigger to get Lynch. Some people make a big deal about Wonderlic test scores. Had me wondering: a - how did Lynch do? b - does it actually seem to translate into how well a player actually can develop?

Yeah our good friend Jerry Jones said post-draft that he regretted not bumping up the offer to get Lynch. As for Wonderlic scores, I know both Goff and Wentz scored very high. But I don't know how Lynch fared. As for if the score translates into how a player develops, I'm not sure there's a direct correlation.

Although a high score does indicate overall intelligence, that doesn't mean it will always translate on the field. For example, Ryan Fitzpatrick had an extremely high score when he came out but we still see him throw a dumb interception from time to time.
------------
I think Goff wins the job as he's better than the rest. My question: is this receiving corps good enough to win a playoff game?

I have my doubts. We pretty much know what Britt is at this point in his career. We're not sure at this point if Bailey is even playing in 2016. Tavon Austin was used more and was more effective last year, but he still really hasn't developed into much of an intermediate and long route runner. Maybe Brian Quick surprises us this year, but I was surprised that the Rams brought him back.

Bradley Marquez has some room to grow, and was a pleasant surprise last year, but I'm not sure that his ceiling is that high. For where they were drafted, I kind of like the two rookie wideouts, though it's debatable how much Cooper and Thomas can contribute this year..
------------
Jim, will you be coming to California at all to cover the Rams? It is strange when there are Rams press conferences without your presence. I understand the Post Dispatch may still be trying to figure out what they want to do pertaining to NFL coverage, but at the minimum I thought you should have been sent to LA on draft day.

I spent the first round in Chicago which was both interesting and different The plan is for me to come out to Irvine for the first weekend of training camp and then cover the first home game of the regular season. But that's about it. As you may have noticed, we're still providing some coverage of the team, particularly with some on-line stories, but certainly not to the same degree we would if the team were still based in St, Louis.

The responses I get have been all over the map. St. Louis fans still fuming over the move get mad. Fans in St, Louis that still want to cover the team get mad that we're not covering them like we did before. I get it. I understand. We'll push forward.
-----------
I saw many reports suggest that all "indications" were that the Rams were taking Goff. Obviously, they were proved right but what were those "indications"?

1.) Reports that the Eagles traded up knowing they would get Wentz because the Rams were taking Goff; 2.) Mike Silver of NFL Network, who is very close to Fisher, kept dropping very strong hints that it would be Goff. No big mystery here.
----------
Draft Day at LA LIVE had over 4,000 people. Could have had more, but they limited the number of folks allowed in because it was a private event. Probably a good 300-500 hundred standing around the perimeter getting a glance of what was going on. About 20 players or so in attendance, plus the new Cheerleaders with Rampage. This team will be supported, win or lose!

We'll see. Hopefully you won't have to go through 13 consecutive non-winning seasons, including an NFL-record worst five-year stretch of 15-65 to find out. Not to mention have an owner who wants to move the team and doesn't engage the fans or local media for four years.

200.gif

-----------------
What do you think of the TE from W. Kentucky? His highlight reel makes him look like a pretty tough s o b!

There's no doubt he's got some talent. Believe it our not I've watched a few Western Kentucky games over the past couple of years on TV. It's just not the off-field issue that could be a concern with him. I think there are durability issues as well. In college he was redshirted in '12 due to a broken collarbone. He played in 7 games in '13 before suffering a stress fracture in his foot. He missed a couple of games in '14 with a knee injury, and then missed 5 games last season with a knee injury.
-------------
Did you ever catch any of P. Cooper's games at S.Carolina? Looks like a real steal for the Rams with a round 4 pick!

Caught South Carolina a couple of times on TV. I was surprised to see him still available in the fourth round given his college production in '14 and '15. Although he's not as fast or elusive as Tavon Austin, he brings that kind of versatility. And we all know how much Jeff Fisher likes those gadget plays. I think he can be an effective slot receiver in the NFL.
-----------
Who's the starting QB for the Rams for week 1?

I don't know how you draft a QB No. 1 overall, and give up all those picks to get him and not have him starting on opening day.
------------
What is your assessment of the Rams' draft?

Big gamble to trade all those picks to move up for Goff. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the concept that he's a true franchise QB. We'll see. But the way their QB play has been for most of Fisher's tenure, if Goff is just pretty good,, that could be enough to get this team in the playoffs. I like what they did in drafting the 2 wide receivers.

Personally, I really value college production in evaluating talent for the draft, and Cooper and Thomas caught a lot of passes last season. And in Cooper's case, a lot of passes over the past two season. At tight end, Higbee is a boom-or-bust pick for both off-field and durability issues, as I detail in an earlier answer.

Hemingway appears to have a lot of potential but is raw and may take a while. It's hard to give even an instant grade on this draft because it all hinges on Goff. And minus those picks the Rams sent to Tennessee, the Rams have some depth issues at linebacker and defensive tackle. Not sure who's the free safety right now.
----------
Do you know how much longer you will continue with these chats?

We'll be back next week, then I'm taking my annual late spring, early summer hiatus for a while. But plans are for the chats to resume before the start of training camps.
----------
What do you make of the Buccaneers trading up to take a kicker in round 2? Did their GM fall and hit his head the morning of the draft?

Make no mistake, Aguayo was a dominant college kicker. But second round? And trading up to the second round? He better be great. I couldn't help thinking back to the '95 Rams taking K Steve McLaughlin in Round 3, and that McLaughlin was back in Arizona before the end of the season playing with his band "Pet the Fish." (I actually saw them playing in a Phoenix area club during a Rams-Cardinals trip.) That's why I had the Buccaneers as one of my losers in today's winners & losers look back at the 2016 draft.

846f4520-145f-4e09-86dd-612d6a2d4fbe_500.jpg

Thomas: Winners (Broncos, Titans) and losers (Browns, Bucs) in NFL draft

Have you lost some respect for the league overall due to their handling of the relocation process? Were you directly lied to during the process?

I can only remember one time when I was directly misled, and I've mentioned it here a couple of times I think inn past chats. That occurred after Kroenke purchased the original 60-acre plot in Inglewood (a full calendar year before announcing the actual stadium plan). At that point Kevin Demoff told me and at least one other St. Louis reporter that Kroenke purchased the land just to kick-start St. Louis into doing something. We all know now _ after hearing the early-morning phone call story about Kroenke first discovering the Inglewood site _ that wasn't the case.

ape-judging.gif

----------------
Jim, I am really getting tired of this St Louis and LA back and forth barbs. You should stop posting these types of questions and comments and let's keep the subject on football related questions. It's getting ridiculous because nothing get accomplished but people getting mad. - by RamTough

Well, it's like a messy divorce after 21 years of marriage. There are going to be harsh feelings, and they're not going to go away for a while. And as long as the questions are in (relatively) good taste, we're not going to block them.

"RamTough" just blew his cover. He's actually Eric Grubman. - by Mike Smith
84b7a499-f316-4205-a9ca-4b3495339ccf.jpg

tumblr_mslql1zNKC1sqv808o1_500.gif

-----------
A week or so before the draft Witner was being linked with to the Rams, you hear anything?

On the Whitner question, haven't heard anything new. Could simply be a matter of the price coming down.
-----------
Does RamTough also include the city of Chicago in his reference to STL hating? Goodell was booed EVERY time he walked to the podium - not SOME of the time, but EVERY time.

As I mentioned earlier, it was my first time covering the league presentation of the draft. And that was one of my lasting impressions of Round 1 Thursday. Goodell being booed, and booed loudly, before all 31 picks. Not a good look for the league.

giphy.gif

------------
What's your take on how the defense will be this year? Also, any news on Donte Whitner signing?

As I just mentioned on Whitner, nothing new that I'm aware of. I think the defense has a chance to be very good this year _ a top 10 defense. But I've felt that way for the last couple of years and it hasn't happened yet. Plus, the depth behind the starters, particularly in the front seven is questionable. This is not a year where the Rams can withstand a lot of injuries.
----------
Hi Jim, which if any of the Rams' draft picks do you expect will make an impact and help the team get to the playoffs?

I think Cooper, the WR from South Carolina, has the best chance among the Day 3 picks to have an impact.
----------
It seems like every team hates their owner before they leave. In LA they hated Georga, In St Louis, they hated Mr. Bidwell. Ask an Arizona fan what they think of him. Did he change? The NFL is a business so good bye to team favorites and even a good loyal home town if they fine something better.

Yeah, and let's not forget about Modell in Cleveland. Or Irsay in Baltimore. Don't know about Bud Adams in Houston. Too bad there aren't clauses for first-tier owners.
----------
Any win-lose predictions for this year now that the draft is over?

Yes, our opening line for the 2016 Rams Parade Meter is 7-9. However, Keiner Plaza is unavailable for the parade, as is all of St. Louis.

wyfail.gif

-----------
What was it like at the draft with the drop of Tunsil?

Quite the buzz once we saw the video on Instagram, and starting with San Diego at No. 3 some surprise as he kept sliding. Really knew it was an issue when the Ravens took Stanley at No. 6 and oh-my-gosh when the Titans moved up to No. 8 for Conklin. I was on the 6th floor in what served as the press box at Auditorium Theatre when Tunsil had his press conference (which was on the second floor).

But the eye-witness reports that I got from fellow scribes who were at his media session sounded hilarious when what was believed to be the rep of Tunsil's agent pulled him off the podium after he admitted to taking money at Ole Miss. That's a first.
------------
best player not drafted this year?

Off the top of my head,, I'm gonna say Duke safety Jeremy Cash.
-----------
Leicester city won the English soccer title against 5,000-1 odds. What were the odds on the Rams prior to 1999?

Rams were 250-to-1 odds before '99. I think the odds of getting hit by a car are less than Leicester's 5,000-to-1. A truly amazing story.
----------
In past chats, we talked about QB being a huge need. Why surprised with the trade up when it became clear that there weren't any decent FA QB's left?

1) Because the Rams had many needs, more needs than I thought they'd have at this time in the offseason and not many draft picks. 2.) I think it's highly debatable if Goff is truly a franchise QB worth trading 6 picks for.
-----------
Ask the Rooney's if the NFL is only a business and I bet you get a different answer than kroenke would give. It becomes a business because he fails at winning.

Perhaps, but it seems like the vast majority of the NFL thinks the same way. It's all about money, money, and more money. And I think you'll see this same line of thinking at work if Davis ends up moving the Raiders to LAs Vegas.

200.gif

----------
Does Josh Forrest back Ogletree in middle or Barron on weak side? And is Ogletree ABSOLUTELY DEFINITELY playing MLB this year?

Yes the plan is to play Ogletree in the middle. Not sure on Forrest He was a starting middle linebacker each of his last two seasons at Kentucky. And keep in mind, back ups frequently get some exposure at multiple positions.
----------
Any word on Isaiah Battle, our 5th round pick this year? They paid him from leaving our practice squad last year. Can he make the 53 man roster on merit this year? Darrell Williams was pretty good in preseason and before injury

Before the injury, I certainly liked Williams better.
----------
I recently read that Wichman may be giving a chance at Center. Nothing against Tim Barnes and love his hustle last year, but just appears limited even though he graded out well at end of year. Got hope for development and maturity and growth for GRob at LT, Havenstein at RT, Saffold at LG & Jamon B at RG.

Don't be so quick to put Barnes out to pasture. I know on at least one in-house evaluation, he graded out as the team's most effective offensive lineman in 2015.
----------
is it in your plans to get an interview with ESK at some point? And if so, do you plan to put the screws to him?

I think I will see pigs fly outside my window in SoCo first. (So even though my neighbors have a pet pig, I'm not hopeful.)

816430045cdcd61678e9ef41e1450971.jpg

----------
Question - was Jason Smith purely Rams negligence? Or was he projected as a top 3 pick by most teams and draft experts? In other words, would another team have selected him that high or was it like the equivalent of the Big Red selecting Kelly Stouffer? (aka no one expected that)

As I recall, he was generally regarded as one of the top tackles in the draft that year and widely considered to be a top 10 prospect.
----------
What is the likelihood the Rams keep Goff, Foles, and Keenum and place Mannion on the practice squad? Salaries don't appear to be an issue. Are the chances high Mannion would get claimed by another team?

Interesting point. I'd have to think someone would take a flyer on Mannion under that scenario.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I can only remember one time when I was directly misled, and I've mentioned it here a couple of times I think inn past chats.
[av]http://www.wavsource.com/snds_2016-05-01_4314756582760307/tv/sopranos/poor_you3.wav[/av]

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Loved the added gifs!!! Make that a normal thing for these please!!

Also as to paxton wondering:
Wentz 40
Goff 36
Lynch 18

Lynch had one of the lowest, if not the lowest out of all drafted qb's. I could only find scores for 9 of the 15 drafted QB prospects without looking the other 6 up individually(I'm lazy). But he had the lowest of the 9 on the list I found(there was a 10th in the list who went undrafted that had higher too). Not saying it matters a whole lot since it is the wonderlic, just mentioning is all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Not saying it matters a whole lot since it is the wonderlic, just mentioning is all.
Yeah, I don't think it matters either. Dan Marino had a 16.
Frank Gore had a 6. I mean, I think you get 4 just for spelling your name correctly.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yeah, I don't think it matters either. Dan Marino had a 16.
Frank Gore had a 6. I mean, I think you get 4 just for spelling your name correctly.
Didn't Morris Claiborne get a 4? I know he had a learning disability, but at least he spelled his name right!! maybe..

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ask the Rooney's if the NFL is only a business and I bet you get a different answer than kroenke would give. It becomes a business because he fails at winning.

I'm sorry but anybody who thinks an organization of 32 businesses that brought in a combined $12 billion dollars last year isn't a business has his head either buried in the sand or in an orifice I shouldn't name. Worst question of the week!
head_up_ass.png

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Didn't Morris Claiborne get a 4? I know he had a learning disability, but at least he spelled his name right!! maybe..
Yeah. Lowest score ever, I think.

OT0j3UJ.jpg

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does RamTough also include the city of Chicago in his reference to STL hating? Goodell was booed EVERY time he walked to the podium - not SOME of the time, but EVERY time.

As I mentioned earlier, it was my first time covering the league presentation of the draft. And that was one of my lasting impressions of Round 1 Thursday. Goodell being booed, and booed loudly, before all 31 picks. Not a good look for the league.

giphy.gif

where have these two been their whole lives? well, at least since spygate erupted. goodell has been booed every time he walks out since then.

great work with the gifs pt.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below. Every snarky remark by JT or someone else, which I've limited, will be followed by a gif or pic for my amusement. It's the only way I can continue doing this. :)
Great!!

Jim, will you be coming to California at all to cover the Rams? It is strange when there are Rams press conferences without your presence. I understand the Post Dispatch may still be trying to figure out what they want to do pertaining to NFL coverage, but at the minimum I thought you should have been sent to LA on draft day.

I spent the first round in Chicago which was both interesting and different The plan is for me to come out to Irvine for the first weekend of training camp and then cover the first home game of the regular season. But that's about it. As you may have noticed, we're still providing some coverage of the team, particularly with some on-line stories, but certainly not to the same degree we would if the team were still based in St, Louis
I'm Glad this will be kept to a minimum!

I COULDN'T STAND MUCH MORE THAN THIS!!

RamzFanz

Damnit
I'm sorry but anybody who thinks an organization of 32 businesses that brought in a combined $12 billion dollars last year isn't a business has his head either buried in the sand or in an orifice I shouldn't name. Worst question of the week!
head_up_ass.png

He said only a business. It can be both a business and still a passion and honesty and business aren't mutually exclusive. Some owners love their team(s) and some just use it as a commodity.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He said only a business. It can be both a business and still a passion and honesty and business aren't mutually exclusive. Some owners love their team(s) and some just use it as a commodity.
And to imply a guy doesn't love a sports team(s) he owns because he makes money off it is one hell of an assumption. Just because somebody loves the business side of it(them) doesn't mean he can't love the sports side of it(them).

RamzFanz

Damnit
And to imply a guy doesn't love a sports team(s) he owns because he makes money off it is one hell of an assumption. Just because somebody loves the business side of it(them) doesn't mean he can't love the sports side of it(them).

This is true, you can be both. No one said otherwise.

The assumption that a ghost of an owner, that you rarely saw in the stadium and never heard in the press, doesn't care much about the actual sport or team is a fair one.

You realise he's moved the team twice just for money, yes?

Hopefully he'll be a better owner in LA and maybe they'll win more and give him a reason to go to games.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is true, you can be both. No one said otherwise.

The assumption that a ghost of an owner, that you rarely saw in the stadium and never heard in the press, doesn't care much about the actual sport or team is a fair one.

You realise he's moved the team twice just for money, yes?

Hopefully he'll be a better owner in LA and maybe they'll win more and give him a reason to go to games.

That's another false assumption. He was seen in the Dome very often. I've seen him at Arsenal games and at Avalanche games. I guess when you own so many teams it really does become hard to be at all their games all the time.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's another false assumption. He was seen in the Dome very often. I've seen him at Arsenal games and at Avalanche games. I guess when you own so many teams it really does become hard to be at all their games all the time.

And the fact that he does like to own sports teams likely means that he enjoys sports. Which doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy the competition of making as much money as possible too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm pretty sure a few of them don't take it seriously. Otherwise, yikes.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And the fact that he does like to own sports teams likely means that he enjoys sports. Which doesn't mean he doesn't enjoy the competition of making as much money as possible too.
Absolutely, owning sports teams seems to be the ultimate competition among the super wealthy. But to imply like some do and do often that he doesn't care about winning is just them projecting their feelings about the man onto the subject and have no basis in reality.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely, owning sports teams seems to be the ultimate competition among the super wealthy. But to imply like some do and do often that he doesn't care about winning is just them projecting their feelings about the man onto the subject and have no basis in reality.

Well, he's shown that he is willing to spend on his teams - giving Fisher a huge contract, for instance, always being willing to spend up against the cap as appropriate, etc.

Besides that, though, people thinking he is all about the money and doesn't care about winning aren't thinking it through. Teams that win make more money and the value of the team increases. He wants to win. He is willing to pay for it, and would like a return. He is patient - he's a real estate investor after all - but the end goal is to have his team win.