Jim Thomas: NFL Chat - 4/12/16

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
These are selected questions and answers. To read the whole chat click the link below.
*************************************************************************************
http://sports.live.stltoday.com/Event/NFL_chat_with_Jim_Thomas_13?Page=0

Jim Thomas: NFL Chat

who will the 49ers take with their first pick? My money is on Buckner from Oregon. What you got?

In both of my mocks, I've had them taking a quarterback, Carson Wentz in Mock 1.0 and Jared Goff in Mock 2.0, which appeared in Sunday's P-D.

When all is said and done, I don't think Colin Kaepernick is a 49er.But I do think Buckner makes a lot of sense _ he's the best all-around end in the draft. And in both of the P-D mocks he's available at No.7.
------------
call your shot, what QB to the Rams take and in what round?

OK, I'll play along. I'm gonna say Connor Cook with the Rams' first pick in the second round. But it's debatable whether he'll still be there.
-----------
what do you think the likelihood that the Rams trade up ahead of the 49ers?

I'd say pretty slim given the fact that the Rams have only 6 picks overall and current needs at QB, WR, TE, FS, DT, LB. CB.
----------
Do you really see Fisher taking a DT in the first round? How does that address an area of urgent need?

Granted it's a little bit of a stretch. But have you looked at the depth chart? Fairley's departure means the Rams have next to nothing behind Donald and Brockers. In the Rams' defensive scheme, the third DT is rotated in a lot. And I think Robinson is a good value pick at 15. I just can't see the Rams taking a QB at 15 if Goff and Wentz are gone.
----------
Does the Foles to Denver rumor have any legs?

I didn't know there was a Foles to Denver rumor. I'm pretty sure the Rams hope that's the case.
---------
I would like to know why they drafted Mannion in the third round if they did not think he could be the starter in the future.

You draft a player in the third round _ at any position _ with the idea they can be a starter at some point. I don't think the Rams have changed their opinion on Mannion. But as of right now, no one knows for sure that Mannion can cut it as an NFL starter or is ready to be an NFL starter. So you keep looking.
----------
I think the Rams should unload the 15 for more picks. We need depth at several spots on both sides of the ball. What do you think?

Because of what you're talking about, and the fact that the Rams have only 6 picks total, I think a trade down makes more sense than a trade up.
--------
ever since late last season we were hearing about how the Rams would have lots of cap space this year. Given that, why such paltry results in FA? Especially letting McCloud leave?

They spent a lot of money on re-signing their own: Johnson (via franchise tag), Barron, Hayes, Sims, Harkey, Barnes, Quick, Keenum (w/first-round tender). If there was a mistake made, it was not re-signing some of these guys earlier _ like before the start of the 2015 season or during the '15 season _ when they would've come more cheaply. But Rams were preoccupied with the move at that time.
------------
do you think Foles has any value as an NFL QB?

Sure he does. But certainly not as much as he did last year at this time. Or certainly nothing like he did after that 27 TD, 2 INT campaign in 2013.
-----------
I asked a few weeks ago if you had heard who would be doing the Rams play by play/ color on the radio. Any updates?

Nothing new. I don't even think they have chose a flagship station in LA yet.
----------
Do you think the plan is to move Ogletree to MLB or do you think is Ragland is there at 15 those plans change? Thanks for doing these chats. Have appreciated your great Rams coverage thru the years.

Plan remains to move Ogletree to the middle. I do wonder what happens if they draft Ragland, who reportedly paid a Top 30 visit. I mean, if you draft Ragland, and keep Ogletree at weakside LB, why are you paying Barron $9 million a year?
-------------
Will RAMS Sign Donte Whitner?!!!

TBD
----------
How do you see our, LA Rams), defensive backfield shaping up?

Obviously need a free safety. There really isn't a sure option on the roster. And it looks like the Rams are looking long and hard at adding another body at cornerback as well.
------------
Do you think the Rams will draft a wr with the first pick and who do you think would be a good fit?

The Tavon Austin selection notwithstanding, Fisher doesn't like to draft WRs in the first round and the higher you go in the first round the more that's the case. I think the only 2 worth considering at 15 are Treadwell and Coleman.

In Treadwell you're getting size and athleticism, but also 4.6 speed. The Rams seem to value speed above all else at the position, so it makes you wonder about going Treadwell there.. Coleman is much faster _ he's a high 4.3/low 4.4 guy _ but smaller at 5-11, 194.
----------
The general consensus with Colin Kaepernick was that the deal was essential a number of one year deals with it being team friendly that CK can be cut, however, do you think I need to take another look at this deal as being more player friendly?

The guaranteed base salary for 2016 is as much of an issue as anything particularly given the fact that Denver is cap-strapped. But trading Clady should help.
----------
Who is a logical trading partner for the Rams? I doubt they move all the way up to No. 1..would it be Baltimore @6?

Maybe Kroenke works something out with his bro, Jerry Jones, at No. 4 overall.
----------
with Mason hving legal issues. Any RB's RAMS looking at?? Foster etc.

Doesn't look that way. None of their known top 30 visits has involved a running back so far. And none of their scheduled 60 formal visits at the Combine was with a running back.
-------------
thanks for your answer re drafting a DT in the first. Although I understand, have you looked at the roster at TE, QB, WR? Isn't that even worse, with no real talent to create a passing game?

Yeah, but if Goff and Wentz are gone, is there really a QB to take at 15? Don't think so. (Lynch, for all his potential, certainly doesn't look like he's Year 1 ready.) There's really no tight end work taking in Round 1, much less at No. 15.

Yes, you can make the case for WR, but in my mock Treadwell was gone. I did take Coleman in the first mock at 15, but decided against it this time around. Plus you have to factor in Fisher's general dislike of taking WRs in the first round.
-----------
Considering Barron's role doesn't work with most defenses, did the rams overpay him to stay?

I think so. Again, you could've gotten him a lot cheaper earlier. And if you think Barron is worth $9 million a year, how much do think Ogletree will command in a year or two?
----------
Who was the best talent-evaluator in the STL Rams era? Who was the worst?

Best: Charley Armey. Worst: Steve Ortmayer.
----------
Are the Rams any closer to making the playoffs this year than previously under Fisher/Snead? Or is it the ever-receding horizon?

I think they have more holes right now than I anticipated at this point. They need a strong draft. And an answer at QB.
---------
on NFL talk asked what Fisher's plan was? Plan? He doesn't even have a clue let alone a plan. These left coast morons are in for a rude awakening. Rick Venturi was on Bernie's show and said "wait until LA gets a load of this bunch."

Well, I thought the Rams were close last year. Seriously. Close to being a playoff club. But as I mentioned earlier, they have more holes than I anticipated at this point in the offseason. As alluded to by my good friend Rick Venturi _ who I talked to just yesterday for the annual Post-Dispatch draft series which starts Sunday _ sooner or later, the team will take the field and start playing games. Be careful what you wish for, LA.
-----------
I love what Isaac Bruce has done with his idea. I plan on going as a way of somewhat getting closure on this thing and celebrating the GSOT again.

I like how you phrased that. I think it is a good way for StL to get some closure on this whole mess.. BTW, the work continues on the Legends roster. D'Marco Farr and Wayne Gandy have been recent confirmations. I know punter Sean Landeta would like to attend.

Organizers, or I should say organizer Tiffani Burris of Bruce's foundation, are very curious to see what the early ticket sales are like next week when tickets go on sale at ticketmaster. She's continuing to work on the roster to get players such as Marshall Faulk, Ricky Proehl, and Az Hakim. Torry Holt had plans to be in Europe at that time, but is working on trying to change his flight arrangements to he can attend.

A great added touch is having Vermeil and Martz on hand as "coaches." You think Mike will air it out?
----------
would you makes sure to keep writing about the LEgends of the dome game. I hate to see Isaac look bad on this. we need to get people there. Perhaps also talk to some of the radio guys to push it too. Plus we would love to prove the skeptics wrong.

We will continue to have updates between now and July 23, be it on Twitter, via blog, or in the newspaper. Also, Isaac Bruce will be a guest on my weekly "Talking Football" radio show on KTRS, 550AM. (Which you can stream from anywhere.) Our show this week is on Wednesday at 8 p.m. Isaac is scheduled to come on right at the start of the show, or around 8:05 p.m. Central.
----------
Do you have any idea where ticket prices will start?

For the Legends game? Tickets are $15 and $20, both of which gets you in the lower bowl I believe. Also, there are a limited number of $100 seats available _ I think 1,000 _ which gives you the right to a one-hour on-the-field autograph session with the players before the game.
-----------
I know Ortmayer was bad, but I really believe that Snead and Fisher are putting up quite a challenge to the crown. I do not think that they have "projected" on a single pick that is worth bragging about. Donald and Gurley were really no-brainers and probably best player available.

If they would have used that BPA and not tried to forecast what a pick would become, they might have made the Rams a formidable bunch by now. How many rounds 1-5 picks are either not with the team or not contributing more than many of the undrafted free agents they have signed.

Well, I will agree that the Snead-Fisher regime leans toward projection and measurables (as opposed to say, production) in their evaluations. At least that's my observation. As for your question about players drafted in Rounds 1-5, the Rams have drafted 24 players in those rounds in the 4 Snead-Fisher drafts. Of those 24, 17 are still on the roster as we speak. All 10 of the players drafted in Rounds 1-5 in 2015 and '14 are still with the club. But only 7 of 14 players drafted in Rounds 1-5 in 2012 and 2013 are still around.

Lawrence Phillips at No. 6 overall in 1996, in my mind, was the worst "St. Louis" Rams draft pick of all. By the way, look for an updated 2016 version of our 50 Best and 50 Worst "St. Louis" Rams draft picks in the coming days on stltoday.com. Several changes in both lists with more Snead-Fisher picks starting to work their way in.
----------
I still really think Steve McLaughlin can be a great kicker!

Unfortunately, I think McLaughlin was better as the lead singer of his band "Pet the Fish" than he was as a place-kicker. And yes, I did see the band play in 1996 on a Rams-at-Arizona trip.
----------
have you noticed any sense of urgency among the Rams "brain" trust to produce an exciting, winning team now they have succeeded in returning to LA? The fans here won't fill the seats if there is a boring, mediocre team on the field. Which is what they've been for many years now.

Not really.
----------
So I hear the Rams staff is working out of double-wides for the next couple of years? Video department and PR department on wheels? Hopefully Stan springs for some nice trailer skirting. You can take the boy out of Mora, but...

Yeah, I think that's the basic plan. Although at Oxnard, they're working out of a hotel.
--------
Honestly, that is better than I would have expected. Maybe they are improving as we go along here. I guess it stands out in my mind because there has not been the big benefit from the RGIII trade that one would have expected, and that they touted at the time. Let's see if many of their last two drafts pan out other than Donald and Gurley.

Yeah, will see what happens coming out of the preseason this year, because there are a few of those 17 remaining players from Rounds 1-5 that aren't exactly on great footing, such as Bailey, Mason, and Quick.
----------
Which franchise move (in the name of bulking up the nfl's bottom line) do you see happening first; Jaguars to London or Bills to Toronto?

Although it's still difficult for me to see it happening because of logistical issues, I would say Jax to London.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rick Venturi was on Bernie's show and said "wait until LA gets a load of this bunch."

well, fans of teams that found out venturi was gonna be their defensive coordinator had the same feeling. so i guess he should know.

have you noticed any sense of urgency among the Rams "brain" trust to produce an exciting, winning team now they have succeeded in returning to LA? The fans here won't fill the seats if there is a boring, mediocre team on the field. Which is what they've been for many years now.

i'm pretty sure this bozo meant to type there. the butthurt runs deep with this one.

I know Ortmayer was bad, but I really believe that Snead and Fisher are putting up quite a challenge to the crown. I do not think that they have "projected" on a single pick that is worth bragging about. Donald and Gurley were really no-brainers and probably best player available.

where do these clowns come from? seriously.

Honestly, that is better than I would have expected. Maybe they are improving as we go along here. I guess it stands out in my mind because there has not been the big benefit from the RGIII trade that one would have expected, and that they touted at the time. Let's see if many of their last two drafts pan out other than Donald and Gurley.

how many bozos frequent that site? if these are the good questions i'd hate to see what the bad ones are like.

you're a strong man primetime to sift through this rubbish.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So much bitterness. I haven't been to the PD for months...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
you're a strong man primetime to sift through this rubbish.

You should read the ones I don't post :eek:...or maybe you shouldn't. I'm guessing that many of these guys haunt the RamsNFL Talk site. It shows. Why Jim Thomas puts up with it is another question entirely.

Ram65

Legend
It was downer read.:(

Only six picks but 4 in the top 107

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-the-rams-current-picks-in-the-2016-nfl-draft

First round -- No. 15 overall

Second round -- No. 43 overall, No. 45 overall (acquired from thePhiladelphia Eagles in the Sam Bradford-Nick Foles trade).

Third round -- No. 76 overall

Fourth round -- No. 107 overall (subject to change after compensatory picks revealed)

I think the Rams are closer than JT says. Let's see what happens in the draft.

lockdnram21

Legend
It was downer read.:(

Only six picks but 4 in the top 107

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...-the-rams-current-picks-in-the-2016-nfl-draft

First round -- No. 15 overall

Second round -- No. 43 overall, No. 45 overall (acquired from thePhiladelphia Eagles in the Sam Bradford-Nick Foles trade).

Third round -- No. 76 overall

Fourth round -- No. 107 overall (subject to change after compensatory picks revealed)

I think the Rams are closer than JT says. Let's see what happens in the draft.
We have major needs at qb, wr, cb, fs

bluecoconuts

Legend
You should read the ones I don't post :eek:...or maybe you shouldn't. I'm guessing that many of these guys haunt the RamsNFL Talk site. It shows. Why Jim Thomas puts up with it is another question entirely.

Yeah the people pretending to be Stan and Rampage and various other players/staff/etc. are just kind of weird.. Makes the chats seem juvenile I don't know why he answers them.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I didn't know there was a Foles to Denver rumor. I'm pretty sure the Rams hope that's the case.

JT getting in a little dig on Foles LOL. A little bit below the belt IMO but oh well.

They spent a lot of money on re-signing their own: Johnson (via franchise tag), Barron, Hayes, Sims, Harkey, Barnes, Quick, Keenum (w/first-round tender). If there was a mistake made, it was not re-signing some of these guys earlier _ like before the start of the 2015 season or during the '15 season _ when they would've come more cheaply. But Rams were preoccupied with the move at that time.

I think fans and sportswriters need to come to grips with how the new rookie cap has changed free agency. Anyone who follows the NBA could have told you this would virtually guarantee that when a player signs the rookie deal they are playing for the second contract and will almost always eschew offers until they reach free agency. Players aren't going to resign very often and teams need to prepare for that by trimming high priced talent via trades to get extra draft picks.

This system was supposed to shift the big money contracts from rookies who had never played to vets who had "earned" the big bucks. It's actually moved the money to 4/5 year vets and the "older" guys are getting the short end of the stick.

It had nothing to do with the move and everything to do with getting paid. Players want the most they can get, and not testing the FA market is a stupid career mistake and you can bet every agent is telling his client NOT to resign but to get to free agency and get more money. Especially if they are at high value positions.

Very, very few guys are going to feel "loyal" and who can blame them.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Be careful what you wish for, LA.

That is just sourgrapes talking.

We have major needs at qb, wr, cb, fs

Major needs? If they keep all of their picks or trade back they have more than enough to fill those needs. The draft is very deep at corner and DT. They can get them in rounds 2/3/4, WR in round 1/2, S in round 6, QB in round 1 maybe.

If they trade up then that is a different story..........possibly.

They can come out of this draft with no holes or with one hole at QB. Trading up they could have more holes, but they have plenty of corners to work with. They have safety depth from the last few years. Even if they trade up to get a QB they still could land a good WR. Pittsburgh got Antonio Brown in round 6. Arizona got Jon Brown in round 6 too I believe.

lockdnram21

Legend
That is just sourgrapes talking.

Major needs? If they keep all of their picks or trade back they have more than enough to fill those needs. The draft is very deep at corner and DT. They can get them in rounds 2/3/4, WR in round 1/2, S in round 6, QB in round 1 maybe.

If they trade up then that is a different story..........possibly.

They can come out of this draft with no holes or with one hole at QB. Trading up they could have more holes, but they have plenty of corners to work with. They have safety depth from the last few years. Even if they trade up to get a QB they still could land a good WR. Pittsburgh got Antonio Brown in round 6. Arizona got Jon Brown in round 6 too I believe.
We need a #1 cb. Mark my words we will draft a cb before 4th round probably in 2nd

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We need a #1 cb. Mark my words we will draft a cb before 4th round probably in 2nd

That is not groundbreaking news. The Rams pre draft visits have been nearly 50% CBs. However that does not guarantee they get a Corner by round 2. The probably do draft one sometime, because I think they are figuring Trumaine will want a similar deal to what Janoris got, which is too much. So instead of paying that they will let Trumaine test free agency.

Now, if Gaines foot does not heal well enough then they will need a corner for this year and one next year if Tru leaves via free agency. However, this is a very deep draft for athletic corners. They got Tru in round 3 and Gaines in round 6. They can find one past round 2 if need be.

I still think they could plug all the holes that are urgent even if they trade up a bit. Say they lose one second rounder and a future pick to move up for Lynch. Then they get QB, CB, WR, DT, and S with picks 1,2,3, 4,6 . It is doable. And how urgent are some of those needs really? They have guys like Trinca Passats that could get into the rotation. They have safeties that could play in McLeods place, capably.

This team wont really be able to challenge for a Super Bowl until they get a good QB imo. So plugging all the other holes only takes them so far.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
This system was supposed to shift the big money contracts from rookies who had never played to vets who had "earned" the big bucks. It's actually moved the money to 4/5 year vets and the "older" guys are getting the short end of the stick.

I think the system of paying 4/5 was the expected outcome of the rookie wage scale. You don't want to pay rookies who never played a down in the NFL, but once they have proven themselves, set them up with a big payday. The older guys will always get shafted unless the NFLPA negotiates bitchin' retirement benefits. So I agree with you. It is interesting that you point out fewer rookies resigning early. I mean, why would you?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
some of those fans are sour. I'm a St. Louisan, and I think that those St. Louisans have their knickers in too much of a twist.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i think the last few large increases in the salary cap have also played a part in this. teams want players hitting their prime or in their prime and the fa market has exploded due to the increased amount of money the teams have to spend. teams which developed these young vets have no way of matching all the offers their FAs are gonna get. the smart play is to test the market. wasn't like this before when the salary cap increases were minimal and players weren't being offered crazy money.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Jim Thomas doesn't know anymore about the Rams than we do at this point.

I think that I need to open up a Selassie I RAM Chat in his place here on Tuesdays. I will answer most of your questions with the same insight and knowledge provided by good ole JT. I will use foul language though.

Any interest in this ? :ROFLMAO::rolllaugh::ROFLMAO:

Old Rock

Rookie
Name
Rock
Jim Thomas doesn't know anymore about the Rams than we do at this point.

I think that I need to open up a Selassie I RAM Chat in his place here on Tuesdays. I will answer most of your questions with the same insight and knowledge provided by good ole JT. I will use foul language though.

Any interest in this ? :ROFLMAO::rolllaugh::ROFLMAO:
i'm in.