Jim Thomas Chat Highlights

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

http://www.rams-news.com/jim-thomas-rams-chat-highlights-jan-14/

—I expect them to take a quarterback but not until the middle rounds.

—I think way, way too much is being made of Bradford’s contract. The Rams aren’t crippled by it. Kaepernick and Wilson will eventually reach their second contracts you know.

—The Rams have made it about as clear as they can that they’re all in on Bradford. I’ve written this. I’ve mentioned it many times on these chats. I’ve mentioned it many times on the radio. I don’t know how much clearer I can make it for you. I call that unequivocal. You put fans in the seats by winning football games. There’s no doubt Manziel was an exciting college football player. Can we say unequivocally that he can duplicate that in the NFL? And do you simply toss Bradford aside and start over? He was the 11th-rated QB in passer rating this season. He was on his way to a career year.

—Are we sure that Clowney is a once in 10 years guy? You’ve got to find that out first. You’ve also got to find out if this guy will play every down hard. And how committed he is to doing the things necessary to be a professional. And once you get to that point, you’ve got to figure out a way to play him on a defensive front that includes Quinn, Long, Hayes and Sims at end.

— Barrett Jones got a slow start because he was recovering from that foot injury from his Alabama days. And he needs to get stronger and hit the weight room. His chances of competing for playing time in 2014 are tied to how hard he hits it in the offseason.

—Among those Safeties scheduled for free agency are T.J. Ward of Cleveland, Donte Whitner of San Francisco, Jairus Byrd of Buffalo, James Ihedigbo of Baltimore, and Bernard Pollard of Tennessee. Byrd is intriguing. He went to Clayton High School here while his father was an assistant coach with the Rams. And does have some range.

—The “reserve-future” contract just basically means a player has been signed to a team’s offseason roster. They don’t get paid their base salaries until the regular season starts. (Although they do get I guess you’d call them stipends during training camp. There are also workout bonuses for some during the offseason conditioning and OTA sessions in the spring.) And lastly, yes, it puts the players under contract for the upcoming season.

—Q: Given his salary and his slightly above average stats is it time to start looking for a new Laurinaitis? JT: No

—Bradford’s only 26. So they have plenty of time. Again, if Bradford plays well enough over the next couple of years to earn a new contract with the Rams, they will find a way to make it work.

—Comp Picks? I think they do expect one or two, most likely in the sixth or seventh rounds.

—I think the Rams trade out at No. 2 overall.

—It’s a long way until May. But I think what happens to Saffold and others _ Chris Williams, Shelley Smith, Harvey Dahl, Scott Wells _ will certainly have an impact on draft strategy.

—If you take a QB at No. 2 overall, you’re in effect saying goodbye to Bradford.

—I think Saffold enjoyed playing guard. And I think he realizes how well he played at the position. So I think he’s more flexible on the topic than he once was. But he still wants to sign someplace where he will be a starter at a specific position.

—How, for example, do you think keeping Chris Long is preventing the Rams from fielding a better team. The guy has 42 sacks over the past four season. That’s 10 1/2 a season over the past four seasons. What a bum!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And here's all Alan saw...

—Among those Safeties scheduled for free agency are T.J. Ward of Cleveland, Donte Whitner of San Francisco,
animated-gifs-flashing-blue-lights-014.gif
Jairus Byrd
animated-gifs-flashing-blue-lights-014.gif
of Buffalo, James Ihedigbo of Baltimore, and Bernard Pollard of Tennessee. Byrd is intriguing. He went to Clayton High School here while his father was an assistant coach with the Rams. And does have some range.

Alan

Legend
First of all, I'm ignoring that. Sniff!

Second of all, I was just going to say that JT is obviously a long time lurker here at the ROD. :D

Third of all, who's this Jarius guy?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Jairus Byrd would certainly provide exactly what this defense is looking for. However, I'm now a bit leery about giving big FA dollars. Seems like the ones who hit FA and get the big contract, stop playing

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jairus Byrd would certainly provide exactly what this defense is looking for. However, I'm now a bit leery about giving big FA dollars. Seems like the ones who hit FA and get the big contract, stop playing

I've been on the Byrd band wagon for months myself BUT don't sleep on T.J. Ward of the Browns, much younger than Byrd and a hell of a safety!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been on the Byrd band wagon for months myself BUT don't sleep on T.J. Ward of the Browns, much younger than Byrd and a hell of a safety!

yeah but ward is a ss. i'm pretty sure the coaching staff like what they have in tjmac and daniels.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Didn't the name change on Whitner to Hitner go through:rolleyes:

Name
JP

TERRIBLE in coverage! All he wants to do is hit people hard, sounds good right? NO! Can't tell you how many times he could have made a play on the ball for an INT, but instead went to rip a guys head off for no reason. Give me a ball hawk safety over someone like that any day, especially in todays NFL.