Jets offer QB Ryan Fitzpatrick $24 million for 3 years

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Yikes, that's a low-ball offer for a veteran starting quarterback.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/29/fitzpatrick-offer-three-years-24-million/

Fitzpatrick offer: Three years, $24 million
Posted by Mike Florio on May 29, 2016

493258462-e1445793029578.jpg
Getty Images

The suddenly public (sort of) back-and-forth continues between the Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Two days after the Jets (and, yes, it was the Jets) leaked to anyone who was listening that their longstanding offer to Fitzpatrick pays out $12 million in the first year of a three-year deal, multiple reports (undoubtedly instigated by Camp Fitz) indicate that the deal has a total base value of $24 million over three years.

The $8 million annually average would put Fitzpatrick below all starting quarterbacks not named Tyrod Taylor or not otherwise operating under a wage-scale rookie deal.

The bigger takeaway is that the nothing-personal situation between team and player is quickly getting personal, starting with sympathy OTA absences by receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, continuing with the team’s obvious effort to make Fitzpatrick look greedy, and culminating in Fitzpatrick’s effort to expose the Jets as cheap.

Meanwhile, we’ll continue to say what we’ve been saying for most of the last week: These two sides need to go into a room, lock the door from the outside, and work this thing out. If they can’t, they should shake hands and go their separate ways.

Athos

Legend
It's been a long time. If other teams wanted his services, cough, Broncos, he'd be off the market already.

This is the best deal I imagine he'll get.

Better take it if he wants to start.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been a long time. If other teams wanted his services, cough, Broncos, he'd be off the market already.

Neither side has great options. Obviously Fitzpatrick has not been floored by other offers. On the other hand, are the Jets really going to start Smith, Petty or Hackenberg? That makes the Rams' QB situation of the past couple of seasons look like Pro Bowlers. And apparently key members of the team are siding with Fitzpatrick.

The Jets need to get Fitzpatrick in to work out. If I were them I'd raise the offer a bit - enough that Fitzpatrick can feel like he won, without really paying him too much extra.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I think that's pretty much an insult, but I don't know what other options he has...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yikes, that's a low-ball offer for a veteran starting quarterback.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/05/29/fitzpatrick-offer-three-years-24-million/

Fitzpatrick offer: Three years, $24 million
Posted by Mike Florio on May 29, 2016

493258462-e1445793029578.jpg
Getty Images

The suddenly public (sort of) back-and-forth continues between the Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Two days after the Jets (and, yes, it was the Jets) leaked to anyone who was listening that their longstanding offer to Fitzpatrick pays out $12 million in the first year of a three-year deal, multiple reports (undoubtedly instigated by Camp Fitz) indicate that the deal has a total base value of $24 million over three years.

The $8 million annually average would put Fitzpatrick below all starting quarterbacks not named Tyrod Taylor or not otherwise operating under a wage-scale rookie deal.

The bigger takeaway is that the nothing-personal situation between team and player is quickly getting personal, starting with sympathy OTA absences by receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, continuing with the team’s obvious effort to make Fitzpatrick look greedy, and culminating in Fitzpatrick’s effort to expose the Jets as cheap.

Meanwhile, we’ll continue to say what we’ve been saying for most of the last week: These two sides need to go into a room, lock the door from the outside, and work this thing out. If they can’t, they should shake hands and go their separate ways.
This sounds really, really Low! There must be a lot of incentives built into the Contract! At least I hope so. this is Dirt Cheap compared to what he's worth!(y);)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Yup for a guy who has been a below average player he should take it........if I was his agent I would put in an opt out clause after one year if I was able.

That way if by some miracle he had a year like last year he could get more money.

24MIL for a guy who is a top flight backup is good money.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup for a guy who has been a below average player he should take it........if I was his agent I would put in an opt out clause after one year if I was able.

That way if by some miracle he had a year like last year he could get more money.

24MIL for a guy who is a top flight backup is good money.

Brock Osweiler - 4 years, $72 million, $37 million guaranteed - despite 7 career starts, and not quite great ones.
Chase Daniel - 3 years, $21 million, $12 million guaranteed - despite only 77 passing attempts in 7 seasons.

The market has changed. And Fitzpatrick would be the starter, and far from the worst starter in the league.

The Jets in their usual inimitable fashion, are trying to lowball him despite having a horrendous QB situation without him. Fitzpatrick's estimated net worth is $24 million. He would like to earn more, but he's already set for life, and doesn't have to feel insulted - which athletes do tend to feel if an offer is far lower than normal offers in the league for their position, etc.

http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth/athletes/nfl/ryan-fitzpatrick-net-worth/

Add in that apparently the locker room is siding with Fitzpatrick, and that the only good thing that would come from this is the Jets getting a good enough pick to draft a real future of the franchise.

So again, the Jets if they want to compete this season, should raise their bids a bit - not necessarily a fortune, but enough that Fitzpatrick won't feel insulted, that the rest of the team won't feel insulted by proxy. Otherwise I could see some other team swooping in and signing Fitzpatrick really cheaply for one season to start, Fitzpatrick accepting just as a big FU to to the Jets. The Broncos could still use a real starter for 2016, after all. And they won a Super Bowl with far worse QBing than Fitzpatrick provided last season.