Jeremiah: Rams can't pass on Marcus Mariota in 2015 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jeremiah: Rams can't pass on Marcus Mariota in 2015 draft

By Daniel Kim NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ariota-in-2015-draft?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

If you were the GM of the St. Louis Rams, who hold the No. 10 pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, which quarterback would you rather have for next season: a healthy Sam Bradford or Marcus Mariota?

That's a question NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah addressed in his latest "Move the Sticks" podcast. And for Jeremiah, the scenario -- while intriguing hypothetically -- isn't all that realistic, making his answer an easy one.

"I gave Sam Bradford a higher grade coming out than Marcus Mariota, and Sam when he's been on the field has done some good things," Jeremiah said of Bradford, who was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 draft. "But it's a moot point. You can't rely on Sam Bradford to stay healthy. Ability minus durability gives you nothing.

"If Marcus Mariota was there and I was the Rams, I'd turn in my card and be done with it."

Bradford has missed 25 of the team's last 32 games and is currently recovering from his second ACL surgery, and NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt lists quarterback as one of the Rams' biggest draft needs. Still, head coach Jeff Fisher has been an open supporter of Bradford as the team's starter next season.

Even if St. Louis sticks with Bradford, however, many believe the Rams need a young quarterback to build around for the future. Whether that quarterback is Mariota will depend, of course, on whether he will even be on the board when it's the Rams' turn to pick. Mariota is viewed as a potential No. 1 overall pick by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and three of NFL.com's four mock drafts project him as the No. 6 pick by the New York Jets.

Jeremiah's mock draft is the exception. He foresees the Bucs grabbing Jameis Winston at No. 1, the Jets grabbing cornerback Trae Waynes at No. 6, and the Rams grabbing Mariota at No. 10.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I wouldn't think too much about that decision.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with him. Although Bradford would still be the starter in 2015. Mariota is the #2 guy on my board for the Rams behind Winston.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Of course, but the chances of him being at 10 are slim and none. So unless we trade up it doesn't matter.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
The Rams should really trade up to #5 with Washington, and leapfrog the Jets. The Redskins should be desperate for more picks, so why not?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So the Rams are sitting at #10 and Mariota is there? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Could Marcus Mariota fall to the Rams?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/16649/could-marcus-mariota-fall-to-the-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The general consensus even before quarterbacks Marcus Mariota and Jameis Winston declared for the NFL draft has been that both would be long gone before the St. Louis Rams make their pick at No. 10 in April.

Since both Mariota and Winston declared, there has been a slight shift -- and to be clear, this is media perception not necessarily teams -- in that thinking with a lot of draft pundits declaring Winston a sure thing to go No. 1 overall and Mariota potentially slipping.

In fact, NFL.com draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock draft has Mariota not only slipping out of the top five but dropping all the way to No. 10. There, Jeremiah has the Rams pulling the trigger on the former Oregon Duck and Heisman Trophy winner.

Jeremiah writes that "the Rams can't rely on Sam Bradford to stay healthy, and Mariota would be a great fit with their current offensive personnel."

Adding one of the top two quarterbacks in the draft would seem like nothing short of a no-brainer for the Rams given their need at the position. We can't say right now that they would absolutely do it if Mariota were to fall but one would think it would have to be a strong consideration. But the real question is whether Mariota would actually ever make it to No. 10?

Despite what many of the teams in front of the Rams are saying publicly, it's hard to imagine that all of the teams in need of a quarterback in front of them would pass on Mariota. If we assume that Winston goes No. 1 to Tampa Bay then it would mean for Mariota to fall to St. Louis that Tennessee, Washington, the New York Jets and Chicago would all pass on Mariota in favor of help at other positions.

That doesn't even include the possibility of another team (looking at you, Philadelphia) trading ahead of the Rams to land Mariota.

But in looking at the chances of all of those teams actually ignoring the most important position in the game, it's hard to imagine that he slips.

This is a league in which the Titans once took Jake Locker one pick before Tyron Smith went to Dallas, Jacksonville traded up to No. 10 to take Blaine Gabbert with J.J. Watt going No. 11 to Houston and Minnesota drafting Christian Ponder with Robert Quinn still on the board. All of that happened in the 2011 draft.

That isn't to say Mariota will struggle like any of those players, just that teams have consistently proved that their willing to take a quarterback over players who might be more highly-rated at other positions.

While some teams have likely learned their lesson from shoe horning a quarterback instead of taking the best player available, the financial risk of drafting a quarterback that doesn't work out isn't what it used to be. Which means it's probably a safe bet that somebody is going to take Mariota before the Rams ever get a chance.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If Mariota is there, you take him, no questions asked, dont think twice, unless the Eagles want to trade up.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If Mariota is there, you take him, no questions asked, dont think twice, unless the Eagles want to trade up.

Even then. Because if Mariota's still there, then that means that White, Cooper, and Peat aren't.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And we wouldn't if he were there, which he won't be. I love when analyst think of every possible scenario just so when one happens they can say "see, I told you!"

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Unless the Eagles are offering a RGIII esque trade, I don't care if they want to trade up.

Memphis Ram

Legend
The Rams should really trade up to #5 with Washington, and leapfrog the Jets. The Redskins should be desperate for more picks, so why not?

If they believe that Mariota is all that, they would be foolish not to make the attempt, IMO. Of course, the Raiders would probably be the more willing trade partner given the fleecing the Redskins got a couple years back.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
There's no way the jets pass on Mariota. They have no good reason to.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Unless the Eagles are offering a RGIII esque trade, I don't care if they want to trade up.
It's said they might offer a similar deal. I'm not saying don't take Mariota because I still would, but at least think twice and consider their offer. Otherwise I'd run to the podium myself.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's said they might offer a similar deal. I'm not saying don't take Mariota because I still would, but at least think twice and consider their offer. Otherwise I'd run to the podium myself.

Would have to offer us a RGIII type trade and Foles for me to consider it. But I won't be betting on Mariota to fall that far come draft day. If I'm the Rams, I'm going and getting him.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Exactly. I don't care what anybody says about those RGIII-type deals being a thing of the past. If Philly wants to move up from 20 into the top 10 they're going to have to pay for it.