Jeff fisher?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I really don't see Fisher going backwards by taking a coordinator's job in order to audition to be a HC again. Really doesn't seem like something he'd do. He's too - I don't wanna say 'proud' - but something along those lines. Not egotistical either. I think he wants to be the MFIC, and anything less isn't attractive to him. Can't really see him in the college ranks either. I think he likes to be "one of the guys", and you can't pull that off with a bunch of 20 year olds. He either gets another HC gig in the NFL, or he takes a job in a Front Office somewhere.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's gonna get nice fat pay check for not coaching this year, that much I know

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I bet he gets another HC gig somewhere. Maybe not this season, but an owner will take a chance on him with his experience.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I personally think he should go be a DC under a good offensive coach (or a team with a good OC) ... and while he's not coordinating the defense, look at what they are doing on offense. That's where he was deficient with the Rams.

I think he's done in the nfl but could maybe get a college job but it would not be a major school

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Has a career HC, a guy with like 10 years HC experience (or more) ever taken a coordinator job after getting fired?

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I don't see him doing college ball, but I do think he's enough of a fan/student of the game to play the role of defensive coordinator again, though he probably won't have to with his connections. Just a hunch.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I think he's got too much ego to be a defensive coordinator. I'm sure he'll pop up as a head coach again in a year or two. I still have hopes the 49ers make a run at him this year.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think he's done in the nfl but could maybe get a college job but it would not be a major school

I think that's what he should do if he wants to be a HC again. There he can indulge his preference for athletes over proven players, since athletic mismatches often times are the difference between teams in the college ranks, moreso than in the professional ranks.

College or pro, if I was considering him for a HC job I would grill and interrogate the holy hell out of him with regard to what his plans were for the offensive side of the ball. After his failure in that capacity with the Rams, he is no longer deserving of the benefit of the doubt.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
No way Fisher takes anything short of another HC job. His ego wouldn't permit it. In this good ol' boy league, it is only a matter of time before a team comes calling. "To mediocrity and not beyond" !!!!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
No way Fisher takes anything short of another HC job. His ego wouldn't permit it. In this good ol' boy league, it is only a matter of time before a team comes calling. "To mediocrity and not beyond" !!!!

I do think the 49ers should give him a call. And hey - Schotty is available to coordinate his "offense"!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Can't stand Bernie but I couldn't pass up posting this incendiary article by him, which I missed earlier, from right after Fisher's firing. Don't know whom he despises more, Jeff Fisher or Stan Kroenke.
***************************************************************************************
http://www.101sports.com/2016/12/12...r-doesnt-matter-stan-kroenke-still-owns-team/

Rams Fire Jeff Fisher? It Doesn’t Matter, Because Stan Kroenke Still Owns the Team
Posted by: Bernie Miklasz/December 12, 2016

Dammit, Enos Stanley Kroenke has no sense of timing. And as usual, the most miserable person on the face of planet Earth has taken the fun out of everything by firing his hopelessly mediocre head coach, Jeff Fisher, a few days before Ol’ Leather Helmet Head was about to set a new NFL record for most career losses by a head coach.

Fisher leaves a lucrative profession with millions of dollars in the bank, 165 losses to his name, and only six winning records in his 22 seasons of mostly incompetent coaching. Give Fisher credit for this much: he wasn’t much of a leader, and except for the occasional accident, he wasn’t a winner. But he sure as hell was (is?) one of the greatest con men in the history of professional team sports in North America.

I can’t imagine that anyone feels sorry for Fisher, who was paid over $1 million per victory during his sorry existence as Rams HC.

I’m ticked off today. Why? Because I write several hundred pieces a year for 101sports.com … and I do 15 hours of live radio each week. And Fisher was fantastic material. He was a prolific source of rich content.

He’d turned into a comedic figure a while back, soon after he shaped the Rams up in his promising first season (2012) only to settle into a familiar pattern: awful drafts, horrendous free-agent signings, registering upset wins over superior opponents, losing too many games to inferior foes, flirting with a .500 record, but never getting there … all the while convincing much of the national media that he was an effective coach who just needed a little more time to rebuild.

Fisher’s perpetual rebuilding project had no end; it actually worked to his advantage because he could use it as a perpetual excuse. Every training camp, we heard the same thing: “Hey, we’re the youngest team in the league, so this will take some time.” And most of the media pack would nod and scribble down his quote — inexplicably overlooking the fact that Fisher WANTED to take cover behind an endless reconstruction project to justify his string of 7-9, 6-10 finishes.

Fisher never bothered to update himself by participating in this NFL passing-game fad, stubbornly refusing to hire a creative or even legitimate offensive coordinator … thinking he could pay any stiff to turn and hand the ball off to a running back instead of developing a highly skilled passer.

In his four-plus seasons as the Rams head coach in St. Louis and Los Angeles (record: 31-45-1) Fisher’s offense was a study in moldiness, arrogance, and failure.

The Fossil has been succeeded, on an interim basis, by special teams coach John Fassel.

During his time as Rams coach Fisher’s offense ranked 32nd (last) in the NFL in yards from scrimmage per game, 31st in offensive touchdowns, 30th in points per game (18.8), 29th in passer rating (80.3), 29th in TD passes, 30th in yards per attempt, and last in third-down conversion rate.

Fisher had five drafts and free-agent classes to assemble a solid offensive line — and straight-up flunked. And despite lining up with an O-line that consisted of itinerant clowns and assorted traffic cones, Fisher and Rams GM Les Snead made an idiotic trade to move up to draft Cal quarterback Jared Goff No. 1 overall.

Great idea. You have no offensive line, no running game, receivers of limited ability, intellect and equipped with cast-iron hands — and NOW it was time to make quarterback a priority? Excellent plan, dude.

And that vaunted, muscular Fisher rushing attack that would pound and mash opposing defenses into submission? Good grief. That reputation turned out to be just another fraud perpetuated by Fisher. Over his 77 games as Rams coach, the offense ranked a below-average 19th in rushing yards per game, and 27th in rushing TDs.

In his final strategy-based screwup as coach, Fisher took a superbly talented running back, Todd Gurley, and reduced him to a non-factor less than a full season after Gurley was voted NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year.

Fisher’s teams lacked offensive imagination (and a plan). But hey, at least they were disciplined and smart and mentally tough and didn’t beat themselves, right?

Um, no.

Fisher’s Rams did lead the NFL in something, committing the most penalties (602) and being docked the most penalty yards (5,042) since 2012.

So there’s that.

In one sense, Fisher did a fabulous job.

I’ll explain.

Fisher sure earned his loot from Kroenke.

Because Kroenke never was interested in winning in St. Louis.

Since Kroenke took over as the team’s owner before the 2010 season, the Rams rank 29th among the 32 NFL teams in winning percentage (a sickly .372) and have continued a shameful franchise streak that’s staggered and stumbled through 13 consecutive non-winning seasons and 10 straight losing seasons.

Now that we know what we know, Kroenke’s plan to “win” consisted of sabotaging the St. Louis market, alienating as many fans as possible, and doing everything possible to kill attendance as a means to make a rigged case for moving the team to Los Angeles to cash in on the nation’s second-largest market. Yes, the same market that he stripped by playing a major role in moving the Rams from LA to St. Louis.

Kroenke got his wish. With the NFL cartel wiring the relocation process and essentially fixing the outcome — remember the “secret” first ballot on the move vote? — Kroenke came through with the win of his life.

And in that context, Fisher was the perfect goof to help Kroenke execute the plan. Fisher did one helluva job.

It isn’t that Fisher lost games on purpose. It’s just that once Fisher settled into his usual mediocrity after a good first season — and with Fisher continuing to neglect the offense — Kroenke realized there was no reason to mess with the status quo. Having a boring, losing team and slipshod organization in St. Louis worked in favor of Kroenke’s true agenda. To set the wheels for a move in motion.

And as bonus, Fisher had experience in coaching a team (Houston Oilers) that moved to Tennessee to become the Titans.

Fisher was safe and secure no matter how many games he lost. This was all about getting the Rams to Los Angeles and keeping the team in a holding pattern until Kroenke could open his new stadium — a teeming monument to greed, corruption and mediocrity — in 2019.

Fisher couldn’t make it to Inglewood; he made some really stupid mistakes that quickened Kroenke’s pulse. Maybe Fisher’s burnout reached extreme levels, with the coach lapsing into a what-the-hell bent of self destruction.

Fisher went out of his way to ignite hostilities with LA Rams icon Eric Dickerson.

Fisher made constant excuses for his usual ugly record, pointing to the franchise move as the reason for failure. Never mind that his record capsized in Tennessee and in St. Louis when his teams were in place and not loading up moving vans. Fisher hasn’t had a winning season since 2008, and he’s had only two winning records in his last 12 seasons. Never mind that the Rams got off to a 3-1 start this season before falling apart, as usual.

Fisher lobbed grenades at Snead and the personnel/scouting department, blaming them for the team’s poor results. That prompted a counterattack from unnamed sources on the Rams’ personnel side, who ripped Fisher in an embarrassing cat-fight expose written by Albert Breer at Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback. (King, by the way, was one who gave St. Louis a fair shake.)

Fisher also miscalculated the amount of media scrutiny he’d receive in Los Angeles. Not so much by the local media in LA. The local STL media raised hell, too. But most national football media ignored the disgraceful football and Kroenke’s tanking job in St. Louis.

It was much easier, simpler and lazier to write pieces about St. Louis being a baseball town that would not support football … as if any NFL franchise could put up the worst five-season record (15-65) in NFL history without taking a hit in attendance.

And that funk was part of a woeful overall record. In 49 combined NFL seasons here, the St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Rams had 16 winning seasons and made the playoffs eight times.

But St. Louis is a baseball town. Yeah, that must explain the drop in attendance. Failing to make the playoffs 41 times in 49 years wasn’t a problem. Of course not.

Then the Rams moved to Los Angeles, and two things happened: (1) the LA media was shocked by the Rams’ ineptitude, as if a franchise that had been run aground by a despicable owner and a buffoon coach would suddenly go 10-6 as soon as the moving vans rolled onto the Ventura Highway. Did these folks think that moving to LA would transform Kroenke into Robert Kraft, Fisher into Bill Belichick, and Demoff into a sophisticated front-office visionary?

(2) The national media made a startling discovery: the Rams were really, really awful and put a disgusting team on the field — which suddenly became unacceptable. Never mind that the franchise hadn’t posted a winning season since 2003 … the losing, spirit-sucking, soul-depleting football didn’t count until the team set up in LA.

When these national-media watchdogs finally awakened and realized that Fisher was a joke, he had no chance to keep up the con. The barking wouldn’t stop, and Kroenke was being compared to former NBA Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, the biggest and most despised buffoon in LA sports history.

At that point, even Kroenke had take a break from counting his money and carrying out more evictions of old people on his newly purchased ranch in Texas to take notice of his soiled rep in Los Angeles.

I’m sure the LA Rams fans and SoCal media are celebrating today, and I don’t blame them. They are expecting a wonderful and prosperous new era of Rams football now that Coach Fisher has gotten sacked.

The brilliant (ahem) executive Kevin Demoff will lead the coaching search. You’re thinking Kevy-Kev will find the ideal football leader to guide the Rams to a glorious run of highly entertaining and successful football.

And you could be right; the Rams’ organization could get lucky.

The Rams’ job has appeal for obvious reasons, much of it related to surface-level glitz and the star-celebrity psychology that attracts egos. And Kroenke has to sell luxury suites and premium tickets to his new palace. He has to make a splashy hire for marketing purposes, and that means the next coach (if he’s a brand name) will command an an enormousl contract.

That said, I have some regrettable news for our friends in Los Angeles …

Fisher is gone, but Kroenke still owns the franchise.

Kroenke didn’t fire Fisher because he wants to win. The overdue dismissal had absolutely nothing to do with that.

This was about getting an early jump on marketing Kroenke’s Alcazar Inglewood

Kroenke will be alive and in control of this team for more years than you really want to count, want to imagine.

Fisher was the most visible problem, and had to be terminated for reasons that had little to do with football.

Fisher has been cleared out, but the Rans’ No. 1 source of the rot remains in place.

Thanks for reading …

–Bernie

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
After reading that I really need to cut back on my salt intake.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Does anyone think fish gets hired as HC for another other team ? Is anyone showing interest in him? I find it hard to believe he will, but I been pretty busy with my parents so I didn't see much news.

No way. No one is stupid enough.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ah Bernie... acerbic as always.

Although over-the-top by a country mile, he describes both Fisher and Kroenke as I view them.

Love the franchise but no fan of the owner. I prefer my owners have some degree of integrity.

I know it's tabu to say negative things about our management, but that's how I feel about the man.

Done now.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Wow, that was brutal.....and hard to argue with on a lot of points. This is a bad, bad organization right now. The Rams probably have one the smallest fan bases in the NFL at this point, and I can only imagine ESK wants to change that in time for Kronkeworld's grand opening. If they biffed the Goff pick and if Demoff whiffs on the HC hiring...they are gonna need a LOT more than 2 years to put out this dumpster fire.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they biffed the Goff pick and if Demoff whiffs on the HC hiring...they are gonna need a LOT more than 2 years to put out this dumpster fire.

Yeah... people talk about pressure... THIS is pressure, friends.

I heard on the radio the other day that NFL viewership in LA actually went DOWN from last year.

I thought to myself... brand new team and viewership was down?

And then I thought... new team, bad team and viewership is already down? That didn't take long.

What that says to me (and what I've always surmised) is that LA residents won't tolerate a bad team for long. Yeah, the Dodgers and Lakers and all.. but I do not believe they will invest 3 hours on a Sunday to watch a bad product... much less spend umpteen hours actually going to a game. Simply too many other neat things to do out there.

So this much seems clear to me... Kroenke can't continue to produce a crapball team and expect LA fans to embrace it.

Considering the extremely large investment he's making in Inglewood and THAT is pressure to get it right!

fearsomefour

Legend
I could see him getting a Director of Football Operations sort of job somewhere....an overseer, not a cap guru, and not on the sidelines.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
I think fish will pop up as a HC candidate in the next year or two. I think he'll get another opportunity.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher coaching the Browns in 2019