Jeff Fisher – Training Camp – Post Practice- 8-27-14

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Training Camp – Post Practice- 8-27-14

View: http://www.stlouisrams.com/videos/videos/Jeff-Fisher-Press-Conference---827/4ac26121-1967-4e44-b7c0-dc23ff60e8e2

(On if he thinks they are going to pay for the good weather now in September)
“Next week it’s going to change. Forecast is in the 90s next week. It’s good. Great work. We tried to get some time between yesterday’s physical practice and today. Today was more of a speed practice and we didn’t have any issues.”

(On doing more game planning this week)
“We’re going to do a little bit more, yeah. We’re going to allow them to look at the opponent, spend a little bit more time just kind of preparing them. But that doesn’t mean to say we’re going to put a lot of new things in that we’re going to play. We’re just trying to get them a better feel for it.”

(On if he still tries to talk to most of the players during cuts)
“I will talk to every single player, yeah I’ve always done that. It’s difficult. It’s never easy, especially when you go to 75 (players) because you’re trying to project what you’re going to do in the fourth preseason game. We’ll get through the process. I’ve always talked to everybody.”

(On if it’s easier to make roster cuts because of the number of players returning from last season)
“No, I think we’ve got some spots that are open, especially when you talk about getting down to 53 (players). Seventy-five is not easy, 53 is even harder. Roughly speaking, we could probably get to 49 right now. There’s some spots that are open and that’s going to be determined in the next couple of weeks.”

(On if he tells the players these next two games could be like their Super Bowl)
“They understand. We have discussions with them with respect to how important the third preseason game is and that we have some tough decisions to make. Then you make the decision and then you go ahead and tell them the same thing in the fourth preseason game.”

(On if he expects the rookies on the offensive line to get more snaps on Saturday)
“Yeah, you’ll see ‘JB’ (G Jamon Brown) and (T) Rob (Havenstein) playing a little bit more, we need to get them some more live reps. Again, I keep going back to the Dallas experience, those were extra reps. I think you’ll probably see them play most of the first half this week.”

(On if he needs to get the starting offensive line together more)
“Well the expectation is that (T) Rodger (Saffold) will be back. We’re moving people around, so guys are getting a lot of valuable experience, especially (T) Garrett (Reynolds). Garrett is playing guard and playing tackle and all of that. Same with (OL) Demetrius (Rhaney) playing guard and center, so it’s really valuable experience for them.”

(On how OL Demetrius Rhaney has done)
“He’s done well. The guard position, in his defense, is a little easier. There’s a lot of thinking that goes on with the center spot. He’s handling that very well. At the guard position, you just line up and play. He’s done a good job there for us.”

(On what makes Colts’ QB Andrew Luck special)
“He’s got a tremendously strong arm, quick release, sees the field and then he’s mobile, he buys time in the pocket, scrambles around. He’s really accurate on the run. He’s the complete package. Real smart, changes plays at the line of scrimmage, all of those things. He’s the real deal. Don’t know how much he’s going to play, but it’ll be a good challenge for our defense.”

(On if the NFL should clarify the difference between a zone read play and a straight hand off to avoid the QB taking a hit when he’s not a threat to run)
“Well no, the committee talks about this every year. We have rules in the rule book that are very specific. If the quarterback is in a throwing position, he gets protection. But in the event that the ball is handed off, at that instant, there’s no telling whether or not he is a runner or not, so he loses that protection. So, I don’t see that changing. You get the complaints in the opposition from those that are running the read option, and those that aren’t understand the rule probably a little bit more. There’s obviously a push to protect the quarterback, but you have to give the defensive players a chance. All of the quarterback has to do is pull the ball and he’s a runner. How’s the defender going to know if the ball is pulled or not? The quarterback gets plenty of protection in the pocket and he picks up protection out of the pocket, he’s got protection down the field on his slides. The read option posture, I think everybody is clear as to the rule. It didn’t look right, but the (Eagles QB Sam) Bradford hit, it was a legal hit according to the rules.”