Jaws would take Nick Foles over Russell Wilson and it’s “not even close”

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Jaworski would take Foles over Wilson and it’s “not even close”
Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2014

jaws.jpg
Getty Images

At a time when the jury seems to be out on whether Eagles quarterback Nick Foles will perform at the same level he did in 2013, a former Eagles quarterback is ready to entering a verdict, beyond a reasonable doubt.

Recently appearing on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia, Jaworski was asked whether he’d want Foles or Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, who like Foles entered the NFL via round three of the 2012 draft.

“I’m taking Foles,” Jaworski said. “Not even close. Russell Wilson is just . . . because of that system he is in. Russell Wilson plays with that defense, the best in football. He just managed the game very well. I think Russell Wilson has played terrific, a great maturity, but I’m going to take Nick Foles.”

While Jaworski is entitled to his opinions (and ESPN is entitled to milk three days or programming out of each of them), this one seems a little kooky.

As to Foles, it’s possible his success can be attributed in part to working with Andy Reid ad a rookie and Chip Kelly in 2013. Also, since Mike Vick was the starter entering the 2013 season, defenses didn’t have tape on Foles, giving him an advantage during his truncated first tour through an NFL schedule.

As to Wilson, he’s hardly a game manager. By all accounts, he’s a dynamic and driven young leader who has done a lot more for the Seahawks than hand off the ball and throw safe, first-read passes. Wilson threw for more yards in 2013 than Colin Kaepernick, who helped ESPN create several days of news churn last year when Jaws declared Kaepernick could become one of the best to ever play the position. Also, Wilson’s passer rating exceeded 100. (Kaepernick’s didn’t.)

More importantly, Wilson wins. Yes, it’s a cliché and it’s not very insightful and it draws a fine from producer Matt Casey if it’s uttered on NBCSN’s Pro Football Talk when we return from hiatus on Monday. But the game is about winning, and Wilson has shown from the outset of his career that he can and does.

Wilson also has shown that he can continue to perform at a high level even after opposing defenses have had seven months to break down everything he did in his first season of action. Foles will have to do the same thing in 2014 before there’s even a fair debate as to whether he’s in the same conversation as Russell Wilson.

I'll wait until Foles plays a D before crowning him, but I like what I've seen with him playing against the shower he's played so far.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I like Jaws. But if he takes Nick Foles and Kaeperdick over Wilson I got to wonder about him. (n)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
If Jaws just stuck to breaking down the QB position (as it's his strength), he'd be taken more seriously. It's when he starts prognosticating about QBs (both pro and college) that he gets himself into trouble. Just stick to what you know and stop climbing out on limbs.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I hate the Seahawks, and Wilson by proxy, but he's pretty damn good at extending plays and allowing his receivers to get open.
A lot of hype for Foles this year...not sure if I'm buying it though.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Foles over Wilson for me too. He tore up the Pac 10 and even outperformed Luck and Barkley in head to heads, But the blue chippers were getting all the attention so he went a little unnoticed.
His performance so far has not surprised me a bit he is a gunslinger. A little irony in Barkley now being behind him on the depth chart

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
I don't think foles will be as good this year, coaches have a whole off season to scheme for chip Kelly's offence and examine foles strengths and weaknesses..

Wilson has done it consistently since he came in the league.. Foles has a very small sample size in comparison

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Another stupid Mike Florio article. Why is it kooky? Just b/c it doesn't agree with the national boner everyone outside 3 cities has for the shitchickens? Nick Foles has played QB more than Russell Wilson, in terms being one of the focal points of that team. Russell Wilson isn't asked to throw much, b/c they run it and play D.

Another stupid Mike Florio article. Why is it kooky? Just b/c it doesn't agree with the national boner everyone outside 3 cities has for the shitchickens? Nick Foles has played QB more than Russell Wilson, in terms being one of the focal points of that team. Russell Wilson isn't asked to throw much, b/c they run it and play D.

Foles doesn't throw it that much either. Would have been 30th in attempts per game if he'd started all 16.

Philly5

Rookie
Jaws has become kookier as he seeks headlines.

I agree with him on Foles over Wilson, but I don't think that much of Wilson. Great intangibles wouldn't be enough on most teams.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Foles doesn't throw it that much either. Would have been 30th in attempts per game if he'd started all 16.
True. In 2013...

Wilson = 25.4 attempts per game
Foles = 24.3 attempts per game

*Bradford = 37.4 attempts per game.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
If Jaws just stuck to breaking down the QB position (as it's his strength), he'd be taken more seriously. It's when he starts prognosticating about QBs (both pro and college) that he gets himself into trouble. Just stick to what you know and stop climbing out on limbs.

I was thinking the same thing, Jaws actually makes a lot of sense then he goes out on a limb and says stuff like this. This is a new era of "Skip Bayless" reporting. Gotta grab some headlines. I know Foles played pretty good last year, but he was a bit lucky with some dropped int's. Don't remember him doing much in the playoffs. We'll get a better read on him this season. Wilson seems to limit mistakes and makes plays outta the pocket. He's been winning or putting his team in position to win since college and does the same thing in the pros. After Luck & Cam, I like his game the most outta these new young QB's.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Foles over Wilson for me too. He tore up the Pac 10 and even outperformed Luck and Barkley in head to heads, But the blue chippers were getting all the attention so he went a little unnoticed.
His performance so far has not surprised me a bit he is a gunslinger. A little irony in Barkley now being behind him on the depth chart

I actually thought Matt Scott was gonna be pretty good outta Az. too. He was a pretty good QB in college. Can't believe the jags didn't use him.

dhaab

Rookie
Seriously, why does anyone care what Mike Florio thinks? He's a sports writer who started an NFL-based website that has become quite popular. Good for him, but I couldn't care less what he thinks about any players in the NFL, especially compared to a former NFL QB who knows what it takes to succeed in the league.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well all be dang, Jaws actually hit this one all the head. Did he also say we're like... the 24th best team in this league? Dam this guy is hit hit miss.

dhaab

Rookie
I find it odd that so many NFL fans think Wilson is such a great QB. I definitely love how he plays the game and I'd love to have him on the Rams, BUT if the Seahawks weren't so amazingly talented, he wouldn't be getting all of these accolades. I think if he played on an average team, he'd be considered just a good NFL QB and not great.