Jared Goff vs. the Vikings Defense: Who has the Edge?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Gurley is going to be the key to this game. If Gurley has a good day running, Rams win, and I think the Rams line can handle the Vikings defense. I have more concerns about pass protection. Their edge rushers are pretty good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Keenum still looks like Keenum to me. He's constantly living on the edge.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It looks like the Vikings are playing their DEs really wide at times. We might be able to exploit that. I know we've exploited teams when they sold out against the pass on third downs this year by running the ball on 3rd and medium or long (and having it work).

TexasRam

Legend
I think Gurley is going to be the key to this game. If Gurley has a good day running, Rams win, and I think the Rams line can handle the Vikings defense. I have more concerns about pass protection. Their edge rushers are pretty good.

Our edge pass defenders are pretty good too.

Meanwhile Minnesota is #2 vs the run.

I think we will have to throw the ball to win this game.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
You know, after watching the Minne vs Wash highlights, I feel better.
That looked like two teams just playing absolutely NO defense whatsoever.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
As much as i'd love to see a high scoring & successful Rams attack, i'm inclined to believe we may have some red-zone difficulty. I'm in league with those more apt to consider our defense forcing a couple interceptions, and Zuerlein being the difference maker. I see us down at halftime maybe 14 - 6, then a strong 2'nd half with us taking the close win. jmo.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Disagree brother. Vikes are elite at stopping the run. There probably won't be much there for Gurley.

This game is going to be about Jared IMO. He's gonna get pressure and some bad down/distance due to the Vikes' run defense, but has to lead them to converting and scoring. Playoff level test for the kid IMO.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
think Gurley is going to be the key to this game. If Gurley has a good day running, Rams win, and I think the Rams line can handle the Vikings defense. I have more concerns about pass protection. Their edge rushers are pretty good.

He needs to have a good day receiving, which will help pass protection.

But yeah they have a formidable D.

Disagree brother. Vikes are elite at stopping the run. There probably won't be much there for Gurley.

This game is going to be about Jared IMO. He's gonna get pressure and some bad down/distance due to the Vikes' run defense, but has to lead them to converting and scoring. Playoff level test for the kid IMO.

Above ..........if Gurley makes the defense play honest because they use the short passing game as the run game it will make a big difference.

nighttrain

Legend
↑
Above ..........if Gurley makes the defense play honest because they use the short passing game as the run game it will make a big difference.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some stats on Vikings opponents rushing yards per game.
The Vikings seem to have faced one really good running team and that was
the Saints (third best rush yds per game) in week one.The rest of their
opponents rush yds per game rankings are

When the rushing yards per game of their opponents is averaged out,
it comes to 107.3 per game.That would currently rank their opponents at
15th .

While I have no doubt their run defense is good.It hasn't exactly
faced a lot of quality running teams.

What does all this mean?It means I have too much time on my hands
while waiting on, the game of year(up to this point) for our Rams.

Zero

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He needs to have a good day receiving, which will help pass protection.

But yeah they have a formidable D.

I expect our screen game to be in full force as well.

RamWoodie

Legend
The main thing in my mind is that the Ram D' CANNOT get off to a slow start as we've seen in many games. They've been in this 34 defense 9 games now and it still seems that early on people aren't understanding their assignments.

The Vikes have a tough D' so I don't think it's good for the Rams to fall behind in this game because it puts pressure on the offense.

I haven't looked at the odds but I would guess this is a "pick 'em" game. A Rams win goes a long way when it comes to playoff edges though.

Wade has to have the defense ON POINT!!!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Yeah, which ever team can run it, will likely win it. Pretty Simple.

That and of course turnovers, but again the team that can't run it is more likely to get forced into turnovers.

MachS

Hall of Fame
I think we are the better team and have the much better QB. But this will be a tough test.

If we beat them in their house with that defense we can beat anyone in the league.

norcalramfan

Starter
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was reminded on another thread that Sullivan used to play for the Vikings. I wonder if line calls in recognition of defenses will help much, or if the Viking defensive calls have changed significantly since he played for them.