Jared Goff: The next Matt Ryan?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Bluesy

Reppin' the Rams since 2000
Name
Kyle
Matt Ryan? That's the best we can dream of? Shit if I'm gonna play that game I'm gonna say he's the next Aaron Rodgers.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
200_s.gif

tempests

Hall of Fame
To take it a step further, the Long over Ryan decision could be considered the catalyst for the 12 years of losing!

Chris Long was their best defensive draft pick of the 2000s. Rams had a miserable DE corps in 2007 and desperately needed some fresh blood for their pass rush.

Franchise QBs have never won anything on their own. They need a proper support structure. The 2008 Falcons overhauled their roster and their GM and HC instituted a culture change. They cultivated a mean, nasty offensive line, kept their young passer upright and allowed him to become a steadying influence.

The 2008 Rams were a cratering team and the definition of a toxic environment; an aging, talent deprived roster with no reinforcements via the draft and a string of bad contracts and FA busts. Their HC was fired after four games. That was no place for a young QB to thrive.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
This is what has impressed me the most through his three games so far. When you watch him his eyes are moving across the field during the play. He has stared down a few plays but he already scans more than stares. That is a huge thing to see a rookie doing already. He has very quick twitch feet and eyes... when you mix that with seeing the whole field he has potential to be great. Hopefully he doesn't get it beaten out of him behind our o-line but I am very high on Goff right now. This season will end with awful stats I'm sure but I see no reason he can't be developed into a top QB. Developed is the key word though.

This is such an excellent point. Its an observation I made too. He hangs onto the ball too long somestimes but its because he is really scanning the whole field in a way you just don't see rookies do all that often. So calm in the pocket, quick twitch feet as you say - ready to spin and roll out - decent arm etc - but the thing he does that I've been really impressed with as you say is watching his eyes stay down field and really read the field. I sometimes think a guy either has that ability or he doesn't. Someone like Kaepernick still hasn't got it after years and it'll have been all he's worked on for those years.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Please sir, I beg you.... Delete that. That is a bad, bad omen to be posting on a Rams forum. I want Goff to be as successful as "that guy" more than anyone... But please take that pic down. "That guy" did more to destroy the Rams than any QB ever. Tis sacrilege to post his image in comparison to our hopeful savior. I plead with you again sir. Take. It. Down.

Bruce2980

Starter
Chris Long was their best defensive draft pick of the 2000s. Rams had a miserable DE corps in 2007 and desperately needed some fresh blood for their pass rush.

Franchise QBs have never won anything on their own. They need a proper support structure. The 2008 Falcons overhauled their roster and their GM and HC instituted a culture change. They cultivated a mean, nasty offensive line, kept their young passer upright and allowed him to become a steadying influence.

The 2008 Rams were a cratering team and the definition of a toxic environment; an aging, talent deprived roster with no reinforcements via the draft and a string of bad contracts and FA busts. Their HC was fired after four games. That was no place for a young QB to thrive.
Elway won lots by himself, at least until he got them to the Super Bowl, but still, he got there pretty much single handedly.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is what has impressed me the most through his three games so far. When you watch him his eyes are moving across the field during the play. He has stared down a few plays but he already scans more than stares. That is a huge thing to see a rookie doing already. He has very quick twitch feet and eyes... when you mix that with seeing the whole field he has potential to be great. Hopefully he doesn't get it beaten out of him behind our o-line but I am very high on Goff right now. This season will end with awful stats I'm sure but I see no reason he can't be developed into a top QB. Developed is the key word though.

If we go out and hire a bright offensive mind, the sky is the limit for Goff. Do not shackle him with Fisherball. This kid can be so special.

QB comparisons are unavoidable and they have some similarities, but I'm confident the Rams are going to get more than a Matty Ryan with Goff. He's the least of our worries tbh.

What's critical is building around him quickly. They need another piece or two on the OL to settle that thing down, and one good vet wideout they can count on. And of course a coach who can scheme it up on offense and teach what he wants to do to the natives. Given that we're gonna be good on offense pretty soon I think.

We need to go hard after the OL and at least one WR this off-season. Get ourselves a quality starter on the OL in FA and in the draft. Go after a WR in FA.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Please sir, I beg you.... Delete that. That is a bad, bad omen to be posting on a Rams forum. I want Goff to be as successful as "that guy" more than anyone... But please take that pic down. "That guy" did more to destroy the Rams than any QB ever. Tis sacrilege to post his image in comparison to our hopeful savior. I plead with you again sir. Take. It. Down.

Sorry my man.... I'm not a superstitious person and sacrilege is exempt for me in this case. I remember the pain that "Joe Cool" put on our Rams.. Goff wears his number and he's Jared's legend so I roll with it.

When I scouted several hours of film review of Goff's college career, I noticed enough similarities between the two players to move on from the past and see if our young #16 can turn out like the great legend himself.

:cool:
photo-about-8.gif

Last edited:

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sorry my man.... I'm not a superstitious person and sacrilege is exempt for me in this case. I remember the pain that "Joe Cool" put on our Rams.. Goff wears his number and he's Jared's legend so I roll with it.

When I scouted several hours of film review of Goff's college career, I noticed enough similarities between the two players to move on from the past and see if our young #16 can turn out like the great legend himself.

:cool:
photo-about-8.gif

YOU DID IT AGAIN!!!!

I get it though brutha,and I see the similarities between the two. I admit that it took people like yourself to point it out this spring, but I see it and I love the comparison. I love Goff's demeanor and, even more importantly I love that pocket presence. I see big possibilities in this QB. I loved Bradford when we drafted him. I love Goff more. I see more of the intangibles in him already. Come on Rams. Seriously. Enough Fuckin around.

FRO

Legend
This is such an excellent point. Its an observation I made too. He hangs onto the ball too long somestimes but its because he is really scanning the whole field in a way you just don't see rookies do all that often. So calm in the pocket, quick twitch feet as you say - ready to spin and roll out - decent arm etc - but the thing he does that I've been really impressed with as you say is watching his eyes stay down field and really read the field. I sometimes think a guy either has that ability or he doesn't. Someone like Kaepernick still hasn't got it after years and it'll have been all he's worked on for those years.
I'm not sure it's a trait you can develop. You can improve upon it, but if you don't have it initially you will rarely obtain it. You can practice all you want but when live bullets are flying you go straight to instincts. He has many good traits. Get players and coaches around him that will make him play at a high level.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Well said.

Yep... I noticed him working the progressions, particularly the last game. It's a great sign because that's not easy so few games into his career.

I love Goff. The results will be there.

Faceplant

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thank you for putting this into words for me.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Dave-The Rams won NOTHING over the last 12 years with "great" DE's. BTW-of the ones you mention were "great", only Quinn earned a prow bowl appearance. A franchise QB would have certainly taken the Rams to the playoffs; at the very least a couple of times. Besides, the following year the could have scooped up a quality DE in the Bradford draft. Franchise QB trumps every other position. Bulger was battered and frail, which proved to be not reliable--look at how Dallas is doing this season realizing that you must have a sound plan B for a battered QB . To take it a step further, the Long over Ryan decision could be considered the catalyst for the 12 years of losing!
You should check you stats before posting!!
Leonard Little went to the Pro Bowl in 2003 and was also voted an All Pro the same Year!(y):D
I'll stand by my opinion, and we can agree to disagree!:cool:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/201...g-for-no-1-overall-pick-jared-goff-to-blossom

Rams still waiting for No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff to blossom
By Jack Wang, Los Angeles Daily News

AR-161209449.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

AP Photo/Steven Senne

THOUSAND OAKS >> Seven months ago, Jeff Fisher gushed about the future of the Los Angeles Rams.

“I am so excited,” said Fisher, who often appears dour regardless of his actual mood. “You should have seen us in the room there. Did you see it? I’m happy, are you kidding me? We just drafted a franchise quarterback with the first pick in the draft.”

He was referring to Jared Goff, the Cal product whom the franchise had moved heaven and earth to acquire. Originally slotted behind 14 other teams in the 2016 NFL Draft, the Rams gave the Titans six selections — including their 2017 first-round pick — to move up to No. 1 overall.

A high price, perhaps, for a rookie quarterback who has only started three games.

Goff may have a fine career ahead of him. Although he holds a pedestrian passer rating of 70.0, he is still just 22 years old, and has shown impressive flashes even as he searches for his first NFL victory.

But regardless of Goff’s future development, the fact remains that the Rams gave up significant draft capital to get him. After falling to 4-8, the first-round pick they gave to Tennessee could end up being a top-10 or top-five selection — one that could go a long way toward plugging other roster holes.

Asked on Friday whether that was a higher price than he’d originally expected, Rams general manager Les Snead insisted that the decision to trade up was a sound one.

“With the QB thing, I’ll always say this: Go get the one you want when you can get him,” Snead said. “Because there’s times you’re going to want one and can’t get him. And do it sooner rather than later.”

The Rams had significant hopes in drafting Goff: that he would prove ready to start immediately; that he would turn around a perennially anemic offense; that he would inject excitement into a fanbase that had been without the NFL for two decades.

With the team having lost seven of their last eight games as it heads into Sunday’s game against the Falcons, Snead stressed that the development of a franchise quarterback doesn’t happen overnight.

“It does take time to get that,” he said. “You probably weren’t one first-round, young kid away. You need that kid to become a veteran. That was an important piece, and I think for all teams it is.

“The nice thing about Jared is, to date, we’ve seen some of the things that we’ve seen in college that we thought were going to be his go-tos, his assets in the league. They’ve shown up. He’s just not there yet. We’ve got to get him there.”

Snead also noted that the Rams had endured a “48-game stretch of playing with a No. 2 QB” — specifically naming Kellen Clemens, Shaun Hill, Austin Davis and Nick Foles. Add in Case Keenum, who started nine games this year, and that accounts for 50 contests in a streak of five non-winning seasons.

“I give credit to all of them and they all have a special place in my heart because we beat some good teams with those guys,” Snead said. “But I do think that did stunt the passing game and what you can do, and what the coaches can do with it.”

The trouble is, switching to Goff does not appear to have significantly altered the offense, rarely stretching the field even with his superior arm strength. In nine games with Keenum, the Rams averaged 15.4 points and 308 yards per game. In their first three games with Goff, they averaged 13.7 points and 212.

The team has not been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, but in all likelihood, Goff only has four games left in his rookie season. With each passing week, cries for the franchise to move on from either Fisher or Snead — or both — have grown louder. And if Goff doesn’t show more signs of a potential Pro Bowl future? Those cries may be answered.

“In the real world, you’ve got to raise that guy,” Snead said. “How long it takes is to be determined.”

jap

Legend
He's nothing like Ryan. Better arm strength, speed and pocket awareness. More like his college idol Aaron Rodgers.

I want to believe he can be better than Matt myself. Just get him a functional wall (OL) in front of him and the Express!, and watch them tear up this damn league together.

jap

Legend

I suppose I have to expect this from some Horns fans. However, as someone who followed Joe since he was a scrawny underclassman at Notre Dame, continually coming in to bail out the starting QB's with come-from-behind victories, I consider this to be an honor. I so badly wanted the Horns to draft this guy, but he was probably overlooked by them and most everyone else because he was deemed too small for the pro game. There are '9er players I never cared for very much, but I never felt even the slightest tinge of hate for Joe.