Jared Goff-SamBradford: Rams Franchise QB Comparison

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Only Trent Williams and Phil Loadholt are starting NFL linemen from Sam Brandford's time in college. Sure, Duke Robinson and Donald Stephenson were/are in the NFL but they are either out of football or backup players.

That's not true. His rookie season wasn't he apart of a team that went 1-15 to 7-9? Granted, not a winning record but shouldn't it count from something? And I always wonder what his career would'v been like if Brandon Gibson wasn't called for illegal formation or Jake Long called for tripping.

That's the way it was. Before the new rookie salary system, the price for the 1st picks was getting higher each season. Also, I don't remember 2 shoulder injuries. The main one coming out of college was against BYU, which is the one I'm talking about.

Also, again, OL was it the best in college? Absolutely. But again, it's not like it was full of NFL starters. Speaking of OL, how would Sam done if he had the luxury of having even an average OL?

OK. As someone who went to school at OU the same time Sam Bradford did, I know first hand this statement is false.
I'll give you the benefit of how Sam would have looked as a pocket passer.He even showed toughness in Philly last year. Still His foot work stunk. He has one of the best arms around.That's why scout were drilling over his pro day.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
That's not true. His rookie season wasn't he apart of a team that went 1-15 to 7-9? Granted, not a winning record but shouldn't it count from something? And I always wonder what his career would'v been like if Brandon Gibson wasn't called for illegal formation or Jake Long called for tripping.

I did say that he came into the league a better QB than when he left the Rams and that he had a remarkable rookie year but his situation eventually hurt him.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree. I don't know if you remember, but I was a proponent of using nearly all of our draft picks this year on playmakers for the offense. That, in my mind, would make the transition to another QB more seamless. But it turns out that maybe they were able to do both. Next year's gonna sting a little without a first, but I can't put it past Snead to find a way to claw his way back into that round somehow.

I just disagree that this was much of a risk at all. Let's just say worst case scenario Goff busts....we wouldn't truly know that until two years from now - and two years from now, we'll have all our draft picks. And if Goff is that bad, we'll have a top pick to select another QB.

the only thing we gave up was picks in this draft and a first rounder next year - not having a first rounder next year could very well be the reason we were able to exercise the 5th year option on Tavon (financial savings to justify paying him a bit more that year than he's worth) - we'll still have had more 1st round picks than years drafting under Fisher/Snead, after next year. On top of all that, we were still able to pick a few potential weapons for Goff this year.

This was a low risk/high reward move. We could easily draft a QB in the first round two years from now and be fine, as next year's draft will likely be dedicated to depth/future replacements.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
IMO, Goff's lack of hype came from two things: 1) his offensive system and 2) his career win-loss record. If Goff were the exact same player but he was coming out of a pro style system and had a great college win-loss record, he'd have been compared to Andrew Luck

Agree with this to some degree...
personally think #1 is still a concern and what Goff will need to work on more than anything else but #2 isn't a really valid criticism of him at all.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just disagree that this was much of a risk at all. Let's just say worst case scenario Goff busts....we wouldn't truly know that until two years from now - and two years from now, we'll have all our draft picks. And if Goff is that bad, we'll have a top pick to select another QB.

the only thing we gave up was picks in this draft and a first rounder next year - not having a first rounder next year could very well be the reason we were able to exercise the 5th year option on Tavon (financial savings to justify paying him a bit more that year than he's worth) - we'll still have had more 1st round picks than years drafting under Fisher/Snead, after next year. On top of all that, we were still able to pick a few potential weapons for Goff this year.

This was a low risk/high reward move. We could easily draft a QB in the first round two years from now and be fine, as next year's draft will likely be dedicated to depth/future replacements.
I don't look at it like that. I look at it like this Two years from now if Goff is a bust (unlikely) we could have had 5 very good players instead of one bust. That's a setback facilitated by the risk they took by investing in one guy instead of 5. Not a big deal, and I'm not sweating it, but I don't think anyone can objectively say this move didn't come with some inherent risks.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
But my tunnel vision wasn't really an issue with Bradford's strong points. It was an issue with his weak points.

That being said @jrry32 what would you say are Goff's weak points? For me, as good as his footwork is, I think it will be a big transition not being in the shotgun so often. I feel could really affect his rhythm dropping back. Although it definitely can be overcome and I hear he has already been working on it.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't look at it like that. I look at it like this Two years from now if Goff is a bust (unlikely) we could have had 5 very good players instead of one bust. That's a setback facilitated by the risk they took by investing in one guy instead of 5. Not a big deal, and I'm not sweating it, but I don't think anyone can objectively say this move didn't come with some inherent risks.

No guarantee that those players all turn out - in fact, judging off Fisher and Snead's own drafting habits/trends/success rates, out of those 5 picks, it's likely that only 3 turn out to be good players - and even then, the salary cap ramifications both immediate and in the future would have more than likely had us continuing to tread the 7-9 waters.

That's why I said low risk - even if Goff is a bust, it doesn't set this franchise back at all as long as we can retain the talent on the roster outside of the QB position.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
No guarantee that those players all turn out - in fact, judging off Fisher and Snead's own drafting habits/trends/success rates, out of those 5 picks, it's likely that only 3 turn out to be good players
Still not following the logic. Even if we take your assessment of the situation regarding those 5 players (only 3 pan out), how is that a worse situation than having zero pan out if Goff busts? You're right that it wouldn't set us back that much (2-3 years), but that doesn't make it *not* a risky decision.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This wasn't a publicity move. This was the Rams recognizing a major problem and a rare opportunity to solve that problem. A #1 overall QB is very very very very very very rarely attainable for a team picking in the mid-first round. The special circumstances we had this year gave us an opportunity to solve our biggest problem in a way we may not have gotten another chance at. This was a football move. And a brilliant one at that.
I heard on radio yesterday on Philly sports radio that there are a large number of NFL executives that don't see a 1st round quality prospect for the next 2-3 years, and that's why the Rams and Philly made such a big move. He also brought up that there were other teams looking to get to #1 & #2 for same reasons. I don't recall who the guest was but he wasn't affiliated with the Eagles. He also bought up that more prospects fall off than do rise up.
Found it pretty interesting

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
what would you say are Goff's weak points? For me, as good as his footwork is, I think it will be a big transition not being in the shotgun so often. I feel could really affect his rhythm dropping back. Although it definitely can be overcome

It's a curious debate.....Goff vs Bradford. For the record, I still think Sam could have become a great QB....His main difference, imo, is his durability. Goff seems pretty durable. He has also had a separated shoulder, but it occurred at the end of the season, so he didn't miss any games. Both have excellent touch and accuracy. Goff really moves naturally better in the pocket....Nice feet...no great feet...Biggest difference. and Sam breaks....
This is something of a hometown (Berkeley) scouting report. Tells Goff's story...Pretty sure Oklahoma has a good one on Sam back in the day....
http://www.californiagoldenblogs.co...fornia-golden-bears-nfl-draft-scouting-report

With Jared Goff going #1 overall to the Los Angeles Rams, I have been asked to give
my scouting report on him. Therefore, I have compiled ratings, on a scale of 1-10, somewhat in order of what I value most in a quarterback. These ratings are a combination of my personal feelings and the way that I believe scouts rate him. I will attempt to be clear in differentiating the two.

A "7" is the score for an average starting NFL quarterback. Keep in mind that a 7, therefore, is a very good score. Do not equate a "7" with a "C" grade.

A "10" is the score given to an all-time great. I almost never give a 10. An example of a "10" coming out of college would be Michael Vick's speed. Most "normal" quarterback traits are too hard to prove in college to consider garnering a 10. Scouting current NFL players, 10s might be given to Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady for decision making and accuracy. A "9" is means that a particular trait is or projects to be great in the NFL.

The traits I will be ranking:

• Decision making
  • Accuracy
  • Vision/reads progression
  • Anticipation
  • Consistency
  • Throwing under pressure
  • Footwork/pressure evasion
  • Leadership/intangibles
  • Touch
  • Arm Strength
  • Release
  • Proven perseverance?
  • System translation (how easy to compare to a pro system)
  • Intelligence
  • Size/sturdiness
  • Height issue?
  • Off field character/question marks?
  • Dynamic running ability
  • Speed
  • "Unique" trait?

Goff's ratings, with an explanation and sometimes a comparison to other prospects, with a special focus on Carson Wentz:

Decision making 8. This is one of the harder ratings to put a number on for Goff. Essentially, you have Goff's entire career, and then you have Utah 2015. My guess is that scouts disregarded Utah as an anomaly, and see a quarterback who has a proven ability to make good decisions consistently. I agree with that assessment.

Accuracy 8. Somewhat linked to consistency (below). When Goff was in rhythm and in a groove, he placed the ball as well as anyone. There were times, however - often early in games - where he missed receivers that he shouldn't have missed. He has shown the tools to improve this rating in the NFL, with an "accuracy upside" at the top of the game.

Vision/reads progression 9. This is an area where Goff shines. He showed a consistent ability to scan the field and find the correct receiver. As I will note more than once, the argument that many talking heads make that he did not make "pro" reads because he played in the "Bear Raid" offense is lazy, tired, and stale. Anyone who watched and understood the film would know that the offense often incorporated full field reads, and Goff showed great aptitude for making them.

Anticipation 9. Another area where Goff is an elite prospect. He showed the ability to anticipate throws and deliver the ball to receivers who he knew would be open by virtue of the route and their leverage against the defense.

Consistency 7. As noted in "accuracy," this is an area where Goff can improve. At times he was great (especially when he found a rhythm later in games), but he missed enough receivers early in games (even near the end zone) to give some pause.

Throwing under pressure 9. Another elite rating. As us Cal fans know, Goff faced heavy pressure throughout his career. He proved adept at delivering the ball with good posture despite heavy pressure. He wasn't perfect - but no one is against pressure. This is one of the traits that separates Goff as an elite prospect, as it is of vital importance in the NFL. Compare to Wentz, who faced pressure less often, and did not maintain the same fundamentals when facing it (at least from my limited study of his film). He might improve, but this would be my biggest worry for Wentz.

Footwork/pressure evasion 9+. This is probably where Goff is most advanced, and is about as close to a "10" as a prospect can be coming out of college. Re-watch the Arizona State game (particularly the second half) if you want to see the proof. Goff has the instincts (whether trained, inherent, or some combination of the two) to feel the angle and speed of the pressure and escape correctly - against the grain of the pressure - while keeping his eyes down the field.

Leadership/intangibles 9. There are only good things to say about a quarterback who got crushed as a true freshman on a historically bad team but emerged as the key leader in turning the team back into a winner. From the outside looking in, Goff appeared to be extremely well liked and respected by his coaches and teammates.

Touch 9. This is the "artistry" aspect of quarterbacking. Many quarterbacks can throw the fastball, but can they deliver the ball with enough air under it to get above the linebacker level and enough zip to get there before the safeties converge? Can he hit the shallow crossing route in the numbers with a soft but firm pass? Can he deliver the jump ball at the correct height to the corner of the end zone? Goff has shown the ability to be great here.

Arm Strength 7. Goff can make all of the throws that an NFL starter can and should make. But his arm strength is not elite. In my opinion, however, a quarterback only has to reach a minimum level of arm strength in order to have limitless potential. 7 is the arm strength that Brady and Montana have/had (and, of course, many failed quarterbacks - I am not arguing that this is the "perfect" level of arm strength). Wentz is probably an 8. 10s would be John Elway, Brett Favre, Matt Stafford, and Colin Kaepernick. This is probably the subject for a different article, but I am not convinced that having a "10" is even beneficial. Of course, it worked great for Elway and Favre.

But there are at least two problems: (1) extreme arm strength may have an inverse effect on touch. The harder you can throw, the harder it seems to be to throw the needed touch passes. (2) Extreme arm strength may inhibit growth/anticipation as a quarterback, and may hide deficiencies as a prospect. Essentially, if a quarterback always had a rocket arm, he may have relied on it too much to make throws that NFL caliber defenders will interfere with; thus, that quarterback may not have developed the anticipation and decision making that is necessary for NFL stardom.

Release 7. Goff has a nice, fundamentally sound release. Nothing odd to it (i.e. Philip Rivers), and not a long release. Also not an extremely quick, Rodgers/Marino-esque release. Just a nice, solid release.

Proven perseverance? Yes. Goff survived a beating on a bad team behind a porous line as an undersized freshman to lead his team to a bowl game two seasons later. Everyone faces adversity in the NFL. This isn't a knock against a guy like Wentz, but he is unproven in this category. The NFL knows that Goff remains a positive leader and competitor when times are tough. All indications about Wentz's character are that he would react the same, but he has not had to prove it.

System translation (aka how easy to compare to a pro system) 7. Cal's offense is not as "college systemy" as many of the talking heads like to say without watching. As mentioned above, Goff made plenty of full field reads. Was he under center? No, and that does lower his score. But the NFL game is increasingly being run from shotgun. Nobody criticized Tom Brady for beating the Seahawks in the Super Bowl in what was almost as "spread" as any college offense. It is true that Cal's offense relied on screens and run option passes more than most NFL teams do, but Goff was not a single read or half field read quarterback. Goff had the ability to change protections and plays at the line and shouldered the responsibilities of a pro quarterback. There will be some adjustment to being under center more than he is used to, but there was plenty of film available of Goff "doing NFL things."

Intelligence 9. Not a perfect wonderlic score level genius, but there will be no concerns about Goff's intelligence.

Size/sturdiness 4. This would probably be Goff's weakest trait in the eyes of scouts. He is a naturally skinny guy with a small lower body. Some scouts will question his durability for this reason. This is a similar reason why prospects like Teddy Bridgewater and Aaron Rodgers (as well as many more with lesser careers) dropped in the draft.

Height issue? No. Hard to rate height on a 1-10 scale, but there are no concerns about Goff being too short.

Off field character/question marks? No.

Dynamic running ability 7. Goff is a good athlete, but not particularly elusive or dynamic. He is fast enough to pick up chunks of yards and occasionally make a move, but won't be confused for Michael Vick. Just like most NFL quarterbacks. This is an area where Wentz has a big edge over Goff - Wentz is a big, aggressive runner who can be a legitimate part of a running game. Depending on the offense that you want to run, this can be a big deal. With Wentz, you may be getting a "Cam Newton light" in the run game. On the other hand, it is very hard to be both a runner and a pocket passer in the NFL. Goff is a pure pocket passer, with pretty good speed if need be.

Speed 7. Goff is faster than many people think. A good, pretty fast athlete. Probably in the middle of the pack for an NFL quarterback.

"Unique" trait? No. A unique trait for a prospect would be, for example, Cam Newton or Tim Tebow's goal line running, Michael Vick's electricity, or Johnny Manziel's creativity.

What do you get when you add it all together? An elite quarterback prospect who is a worthy top draft pick. Of course, nothing is a sure thing. Goff is not one of the best prospects ever, because he is not what I will call a "five tool" prospect, to use a baseball term. He doesn't have the howitzer arm, physical build, or elite athleticism to be considered a "generational" prospect. But he has every necessary trait to be a successful pocket quarterback, including good athleticism for that role. And being a "five tool" prospect is not essential to becoming an all-time great; look no further than fellow Bay Area products Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.

Success is never guaranteed for a quarterback. Goff's ability to make all of the throws on the field with accuracy and touch as well as his elite footwork and intangibles give him as good a chance as any pocket passing quarterback prospect to make it in the NFL.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
It's a curious debate.....Goff vs Bradford. For the record, I still think Sam could have become a great QB....His main difference, imo, is his durability. Goff seems pretty durable. He has also had a separated shoulder, but it occurred at the end of the season, so he didn't miss any games. Both have excellent touch and accuracy. Goff really moves naturally better in the pocket....Nice feet...no great feet...Biggest difference. and Sam breaks....
This is something of a hometown (Berkeley) scouting report. Tells Goff's story...Pretty sure Oklahoma has a good one on Sam back in the day....
http://www.californiagoldenblogs.co...fornia-golden-bears-nfl-draft-scouting-report

With Jared Goff going #1 overall to the Los Angeles Rams, I have been asked to give
my scouting report on him. Therefore, I have compiled ratings, on a scale of 1-10, somewhat in order of what I value most in a quarterback. These ratings are a combination of my personal feelings and the way that I believe scouts rate him. I will attempt to be clear in differentiating the two.

A "7" is the score for an average starting NFL quarterback. Keep in mind that a 7, therefore, is a very good score. Do not equate a "7" with a "C" grade.

A "10" is the score given to an all-time great. I almost never give a 10. An example of a "10" coming out of college would be Michael Vick's speed. Most "normal" quarterback traits are too hard to prove in college to consider garnering a 10. Scouting current NFL players, 10s might be given to Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady for decision making and accuracy. A "9" is means that a particular trait is or projects to be great in the NFL.

The traits I will be ranking:

• Decision making
  • Accuracy
  • Vision/reads progression
  • Anticipation
  • Consistency
  • Throwing under pressure
  • Footwork/pressure evasion
  • Leadership/intangibles
  • Touch
  • Arm Strength
  • Release
  • Proven perseverance?
  • System translation (how easy to compare to a pro system)
  • Intelligence
  • Size/sturdiness
  • Height issue?
  • Off field character/question marks?
  • Dynamic running ability
  • Speed
  • "Unique" trait?

Goff's ratings, with an explanation and sometimes a comparison to other prospects, with a special focus on Carson Wentz:

Decision making 8. This is one of the harder ratings to put a number on for Goff. Essentially, you have Goff's entire career, and then you have Utah 2015. My guess is that scouts disregarded Utah as an anomaly, and see a quarterback who has a proven ability to make good decisions consistently. I agree with that assessment.

Accuracy 8. Somewhat linked to consistency (below). When Goff was in rhythm and in a groove, he placed the ball as well as anyone. There were times, however - often early in games - where he missed receivers that he shouldn't have missed. He has shown the tools to improve this rating in the NFL, with an "accuracy upside" at the top of the game.

Vision/reads progression 9. This is an area where Goff shines. He showed a consistent ability to scan the field and find the correct receiver. As I will note more than once, the argument that many talking heads make that he did not make "pro" reads because he played in the "Bear Raid" offense is lazy, tired, and stale. Anyone who watched and understood the film would know that the offense often incorporated full field reads, and Goff showed great aptitude for making them.

Anticipation 9. Another area where Goff is an elite prospect. He showed the ability to anticipate throws and deliver the ball to receivers who he knew would be open by virtue of the route and their leverage against the defense.

Consistency 7. As noted in "accuracy," this is an area where Goff can improve. At times he was great (especially when he found a rhythm later in games), but he missed enough receivers early in games (even near the end zone) to give some pause.

Throwing under pressure 9. Another elite rating. As us Cal fans know, Goff faced heavy pressure throughout his career. He proved adept at delivering the ball with good posture despite heavy pressure. He wasn't perfect - but no one is against pressure. This is one of the traits that separates Goff as an elite prospect, as it is of vital importance in the NFL. Compare to Wentz, who faced pressure less often, and did not maintain the same fundamentals when facing it (at least from my limited study of his film). He might improve, but this would be my biggest worry for Wentz.

Footwork/pressure evasion 9+. This is probably where Goff is most advanced, and is about as close to a "10" as a prospect can be coming out of college. Re-watch the Arizona State game (particularly the second half) if you want to see the proof. Goff has the instincts (whether trained, inherent, or some combination of the two) to feel the angle and speed of the pressure and escape correctly - against the grain of the pressure - while keeping his eyes down the field.

Leadership/intangibles 9. There are only good things to say about a quarterback who got crushed as a true freshman on a historically bad team but emerged as the key leader in turning the team back into a winner. From the outside looking in, Goff appeared to be extremely well liked and respected by his coaches and teammates.

Touch 9. This is the "artistry" aspect of quarterbacking. Many quarterbacks can throw the fastball, but can they deliver the ball with enough air under it to get above the linebacker level and enough zip to get there before the safeties converge? Can he hit the shallow crossing route in the numbers with a soft but firm pass? Can he deliver the jump ball at the correct height to the corner of the end zone? Goff has shown the ability to be great here.

Arm Strength 7. Goff can make all of the throws that an NFL starter can and should make. But his arm strength is not elite. In my opinion, however, a quarterback only has to reach a minimum level of arm strength in order to have limitless potential. 7 is the arm strength that Brady and Montana have/had (and, of course, many failed quarterbacks - I am not arguing that this is the "perfect" level of arm strength). Wentz is probably an 8. 10s would be John Elway, Brett Favre, Matt Stafford, and Colin Kaepernick. This is probably the subject for a different article, but I am not convinced that having a "10" is even beneficial. Of course, it worked great for Elway and Favre.

But there are at least two problems: (1) extreme arm strength may have an inverse effect on touch. The harder you can throw, the harder it seems to be to throw the needed touch passes. (2) Extreme arm strength may inhibit growth/anticipation as a quarterback, and may hide deficiencies as a prospect. Essentially, if a quarterback always had a rocket arm, he may have relied on it too much to make throws that NFL caliber defenders will interfere with; thus, that quarterback may not have developed the anticipation and decision making that is necessary for NFL stardom.

Release 7. Goff has a nice, fundamentally sound release. Nothing odd to it (i.e. Philip Rivers), and not a long release. Also not an extremely quick, Rodgers/Marino-esque release. Just a nice, solid release.

Proven perseverance? Yes. Goff survived a beating on a bad team behind a porous line as an undersized freshman to lead his team to a bowl game two seasons later. Everyone faces adversity in the NFL. This isn't a knock against a guy like Wentz, but he is unproven in this category. The NFL knows that Goff remains a positive leader and competitor when times are tough. All indications about Wentz's character are that he would react the same, but he has not had to prove it.

System translation (aka how easy to compare to a pro system) 7. Cal's offense is not as "college systemy" as many of the talking heads like to say without watching. As mentioned above, Goff made plenty of full field reads. Was he under center? No, and that does lower his score. But the NFL game is increasingly being run from shotgun. Nobody criticized Tom Brady for beating the Seahawks in the Super Bowl in what was almost as "spread" as any college offense. It is true that Cal's offense relied on screens and run option passes more than most NFL teams do, but Goff was not a single read or half field read quarterback. Goff had the ability to change protections and plays at the line and shouldered the responsibilities of a pro quarterback. There will be some adjustment to being under center more than he is used to, but there was plenty of film available of Goff "doing NFL things."

Intelligence 9. Not a perfect wonderlic score level genius, but there will be no concerns about Goff's intelligence.

Size/sturdiness 4. This would probably be Goff's weakest trait in the eyes of scouts. He is a naturally skinny guy with a small lower body. Some scouts will question his durability for this reason. This is a similar reason why prospects like Teddy Bridgewater and Aaron Rodgers (as well as many more with lesser careers) dropped in the draft.

Height issue? No. Hard to rate height on a 1-10 scale, but there are no concerns about Goff being too short.

Off field character/question marks? No.

Dynamic running ability 7. Goff is a good athlete, but not particularly elusive or dynamic. He is fast enough to pick up chunks of yards and occasionally make a move, but won't be confused for Michael Vick. Just like most NFL quarterbacks. This is an area where Wentz has a big edge over Goff - Wentz is a big, aggressive runner who can be a legitimate part of a running game. Depending on the offense that you want to run, this can be a big deal. With Wentz, you may be getting a "Cam Newton light" in the run game. On the other hand, it is very hard to be both a runner and a pocket passer in the NFL. Goff is a pure pocket passer, with pretty good speed if need be.

Speed 7. Goff is faster than many people think. A good, pretty fast athlete. Probably in the middle of the pack for an NFL quarterback.

"Unique" trait? No. A unique trait for a prospect would be, for example, Cam Newton or Tim Tebow's goal line running, Michael Vick's electricity, or Johnny Manziel's creativity.

What do you get when you add it all together? An elite quarterback prospect who is a worthy top draft pick. Of course, nothing is a sure thing. Goff is not one of the best prospects ever, because he is not what I will call a "five tool" prospect, to use a baseball term. He doesn't have the howitzer arm, physical build, or elite athleticism to be considered a "generational" prospect. But he has every necessary trait to be a successful pocket quarterback, including good athleticism for that role. And being a "five tool" prospect is not essential to becoming an all-time great; look no further than fellow Bay Area products Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady.

Success is never guaranteed for a quarterback. Goff's ability to make all of the throws on the field with accuracy and touch as well as his elite footwork and intangibles give him as good a chance as any pocket passing quarterback prospect to make it in the NFL.

Thanks! So it seems this says/scouting generally sees the same things we see. I don't think the system is a read problem for him, more so an adjustment in footwork and open coverages on the receivers (tighter windows he'll have at the next level. Not too concerned about his size as he'll still put on weight.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If you look back at college film of both...in my opinion...it's Goff. Footwork alone would sink Bradford for me. It was and remains awful. I admit that it is an aspect that I didn't look at quite as closely back then. With Bradford, I wanted to see that he had gained some weight and that his arm and accuracy were there post shoulder surgery. He checked all of the boxes and I bought like 4 flippin' Bradford jerseys. :banghead:

Then I saw him play a few seasons for my team and, while I was mostly impressed with his arm talent, I was NEVER impressed with his pocket presence. Never impressed with his ability to look off defenders. Never impressed by his touch on short to intermediate throws. I really just never felt that he was the answer for the Rams or that he was capable of getting them over the hump. Can he do well with a team like the Broncos? Abso fucking lutely. All he needs is a defense that can keep a team under 17 PPG and a good supporting cast. I also happen to think that Goff can do more with those 2 things, so I am glad he is our QBOTF.

P.S. And to all that will probably attack this post in support of Bradford....I wonder if David Carr, Tim Couch, Joey Harrington, etc ever had this much support after they were drafted high and failed in situations that were as bad or worse than Sammy. Seriously, just curious as I am not a fan of those teams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard on radio yesterday on Philly sports radio that there are a large number of NFL executives that don't see a 1st round quality prospect for the next 2-3 years, and that's why the Rams and Philly made such a big move. He also brought up that there were other teams looking to get to #1 & #2 for same reasons. I don't recall who the guest was but he wasn't affiliated with the Eagles. He also bought up that more prospects fall off than do rise up.
Found it pretty interesting

Next year's class is a big question. Some people are hyped over DeShaun Watson but I haven't seen a guy who has top 10 caliber throwing ability yet. He needs to develop more before I'm willing to endorse him as a top prospect. Brad Kaaya is very intriguing but he's more potential than substance at this point. Has the ability to be a first round prospect. Beyond those guys, you have Luke Falk who has major potential but he's a Mike Leach QB. You also have Patrick Mahomes but he's a Texas Tech QB. And you have some guys with potential who haven't proven enough yet.(includes Max Browne from USC)

But yea, right now, next year's QB class doesn't look great. The year after might have a legitimate #1 overall guy depending on how Josh Rosen develops. You also have some other intriguing guys in that class. So the 2017 QB class doesn't look great at this stage. The 2018 QB class has a lot of potential.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That being said @jrry32 what would you say are Goff's weak points? For me, as good as his footwork is, I think it will be a big transition not being in the shotgun so often. I feel could really affect his rhythm dropping back. Although it definitely can be overcome and I hear he has already been working on it.

Frame, offense, inconsistencies with accuracy (tends to be a slow starter), and some mistakes against zone coverage

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Next year's class is a big question. Some people are hyped over DeShaun Watson but I haven't seen a guy who has top 10 caliber throwing ability yet. He needs to develop more before I'm willing to endorse him as a top prospect. Brad Kaaya is very intriguing but he's more potential than substance at this point. Has the ability to be a first round prospect. Beyond those guys, you have Luke Falk who has major potential but he's a Mike Leach QB. You also have Patrick Mahomes but he's a Texas Tech QB. And you have some guys with potential who haven't proven enough yet.(includes Max Browne from USC)

But yea, right now, next year's QB class doesn't look great. The year after might have a legitimate #1 overall guy depending on how Josh Rosen develops. You also have some other intriguing guys in that class. So the 2017 QB class doesn't look great at this stage. The 2018 QB class has a lot of potential.
I think Chad Kelly has a shot but Ole Miss may be in a world of hurt after Tunsil accusation

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still not following the logic. Even if we take your assessment of the situation regarding those 5 players (only 3 pan out), how is that a worse situation than having zero pan out if Goff busts? You're right that it wouldn't set us back that much (2-3 years), but that doesn't make it *not* a risky decision.

I guess ultimately my point is....

If Goff doesn't pan out - we're sub .500 for the next two years and drafting a QB in the first round.

Even if all 5 players turn out in your scenario but none of them are a franchise QB - we're maybe .500 for the next two years and still looking for a QB.

Technically there's risk in every draft pick. But taking Goff presents the same risk IMO - roughly .500 or less and a non playoff team either way (if Goff busts).

Looking at it from that perspective, it greatly minimizes the risk because the worst case scenario with Goff was likely our reality otherwise. And while you can say adding talent around our QB could make us better, we've added a top 2 defensive player and a top 3 RB the past two years - and neither of those helped our record yet. We've seen it over and over and over and over. That's why there was no risk to this move.

If we gave up what Washington gave up? I would see much more risk in that. That extra first round pick and that our team is so much better than Washington was makes a lot of difference.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Even if all 5 players turn out in your scenario but none of them are a franchise QB - we're maybe .500 for the next two years and still looking for a QB.
Well, okay. But we're both making assumptions, I guess. You're assuming that we'd be .500 if Goff fails AND all 5 of the players that we took also panned out. That's putting a lot on the QB in terms of wins and losses, but I understand that's how it typically goes. However. *If* we had developed 5 players and they all panned out, and Goff fails, then in 2 years we're looking for a #1 QB. Not a QB and 5 good players that we lost in the process, which is how it would work if they did it my way.

Fuggit. My head hurts. I think it was a risky move, you think it's not really so risky.
Best case scenario is we don't even have to worry about this.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, okay. But we're both making assumptions, I guess. You're assuming that we'd be .500 if Goff fails AND all 5 of the players that we took also panned out. That's putting a lot on the QB in terms of wins and losses, but I understand that's how it typically goes. However. *If* we had developed 5 players and they all panned out, and Goff fails, then in 2 years we're looking for a #1 QB. Not a QB and 5 good players that we lost in the process, which is how it would work if they did it my way.

Fuggit. My head hurts. I think it was a risky move, you think it's not really so risky.
Best case scenario is we don't even have to worry about this.

Lol we will have to agree to disagree. But the other piece to why I feel so great about this is, if we develop these 5 players, we lose some of the good players we already have for salary cap reasons (like this year with Jenkins and McCleod - there's no hefty QB salary on the books and we still lost some of the players we developed).

If you look at the way this team is constructed, and what superstars (Gurley and Donald) will command salary wise, this was just the only move to make IMO. Our best case if we stayed pat would be the Jets last year....best case. And they didn't even make the playoffs in a weaker conference. That's why I love this move so much, and see little risk involved. You really need a QB...otherwise you hover around .500 with elite players at other positions.

JYB

Starter
I don't feel the same. I underestimated Sam's issues in the pocket when he was a prospect which is something I strove not to do again. But if Bradford ended up on in a stable situation with good coaching, I think he would have been successful if he stayed healthy. Bradford's game was always rhythm and protection.

I think Bradford would have been perfect for the Washington Redskins' late 1980s teams. His game seems a lot like those of Mark Rypien and Doug Williams. But that's not today's NFL, where Goff's strengths (and Bradford's weaknesses) are the most important facets of playing the position.

JYB

Starter

Even if those five picks had hypothetically been converted to five excellent players, we'd still be trotting out Case Keenums, Nick Foles and Sean Mannions at QB, and floundering near the .500 mark every year.

You can't be a consistent contender in this league without a franchise QB. You just can't. This was absolutely the right move to make -- not just philosophically, but with an extremely promising prospect. I'm not content with flirting with the playoffs -- I want an enduring championship team, and you can't be a championship team without a franchise QB.

Goff displays all of the traits that you need in a top-shelf QB, and the Rams were fortunate that the Titans didn't need a QB, because he would not otherwise have been available to the Rams. And Snead and Fisher had the stones to do the right thing and go up and get him.

There's always the chance that Goff may not pan out, but the potential upside is well worth the risk. This was absolutely the right move.