Jameis Winston suspended for half vs. Clemson over obscenity incident

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...scipline-for-winston-after-obscenity-incident

Florida State announced Wednesday that starting quarterback Jameis Winston has been suspended for the first half of the No. 1 Seminoles' game vs. Clemson on Saturday for yelling an "offensive and vulgar" phrase in the student union on FSU's campus.

Deadspin collected a number of tweets from Florida State students who said they saw Winston standing on a table Tuesday "screaming" the phrase (one made popular by a series of recent viral hoax videos), which uses graphic sexual language. (Both links use the phrase and other R-rated language.)

"As the university's most visible ambassadors, student-athletes at Florida State are expected to uphold at all times high standards of integrity and behavior that reflect well upon themselves, their families, coaches, teammates, the Department of Athletics and Florida State University. Student-athletes are expected to act in a way that reflects dignity and respect for others," Florida State interim president Dr. Garnett Stokes and athletic director Stan Wilcox said in a joint statement.

"As a result of his comments yesterday, which were offensive and vulgar, Jameis Winston will undergo internal discipline and will be withheld from competition for the first half of the Clemson game.

"The University and athletics department will have no further comment on the matter."

On a teleconference Wednesday, Jimbo Fisher said his Heisman-winning quarterback's actions were "not a good decision," per Noles247.

"We have to keep learning, keep educating, and continue to make better decisions," Fisher added. "It is something that has to be addressed ... You can't make certain statements that are derogatory, inflammatory."

Fisher indicated he had spoken with Winston about the incident, saying "everything has been addressed and we are getting ready for the game."

Winston spoke to the media later Wednesday, saying he knew he had committed a "selfish act."

"I just want to apologize to the university, my coaches and my teammates," he said. "I did something, and I've got to accept my consequences ... When I do get my opportunity to play, I'm going to do everything I can. That's going to eat me up."

"I have to tone it down. I have to."

Winston's off-the-field actions have been the target of increased scrutiny since the emergence of a December 2012 rape allegation against the redshirt sophomore late last year, one that has led to a current code of conduct investigation by the school. In April, Winston received a legal citation for shoplifting crab legs from a Tallahassee grocry store.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Lol, I know the video...and I've said the phrase. This should be a non-issue, but he's being held to a higher standard. I'm not really mad at that either.

V3

Hall of Fame
Good grief. This guy has loser written all over him. I'll be curious to see where he goes in the draft now. Stuff just keeps adding up. I wouldn't spend a top pick on him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Another bad decision....Maybe he's trying to fall to Dallas or Houston.....Or Tampa Bay....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
dumb.gif

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Good grief. This guy has loser written all over him. I'll be curious to see where he goes in the draft now. Stuff just keeps adding up. I wouldn't spend a top pick on him.

Loser written all over him? I can see having issue with the prior offenses but this case is just silly.

I bet there's a lot of people with loser written all over them on these boards if that's the case, myself included.

That said, I do think public figures should be held to a higher standard than regular Joes and an don't mind the mini-suspension.

Thought it would take at least a murder, but then the police could always threaten the dead body not to press charges.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Lol, the over reactions to a college kid yelling "F*ck her righ in the P*ssy." I bet he wasn't the only one yelling it either.

I for damn sure never talked like that, ever.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Lol, the over reactions to a college kid yelling "F*ck her righ in the P*ssy." I bet he wasn't the only one yelling it either.

IMO it is a character indicator, just like the petty theft. The fact that he thinks it's funny to do that in the student union in front of tons of people, including women, tells me he thinks he is above the rules.

The whole idea of getting in front of a mic and saying that so it's broadcast on TV is just so hideous. Our society has too many members who have lost any sense of respect and decency. Edwin Starr asked the question way back in the 60's and the answer is, sadly, "nope"

"Peace love and understanding tell me
Is there no place for them today"

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

If it were the worst thing he's done, that'd be one thing.

It's just a pattern of being immature - even though he knows he's being scrutinized.

Obviously the rape allegation is vastly worse (as is the shoplifting) - but even if that's false, he knows that everybody is watching him, and teams are going to be concerned about paying him millions. Acting childish and causing a disruption in public will not allay their fears.

TexRamFan

Rookie
I have never understand the "first half" suspension. Nothing screams "we need this kid to play, but he kind of did wrong" like a half of a game suspension. I don't care what the person did, but if the University feels the athlete has done something wrong, stand up and make it a full game!

The kid has a checkered past and is clearly immature...Do they think suspending him for one half will right the ship?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
IMO it is a character indicator, just like the petty theft. The fact that he thinks it's funny to do that in the student union in front of tons of people, including women, tells me he thinks he is above the rules.

The whole idea of getting in front of a mic and saying that so it's broadcast on TV is just so hideous. Our society has too many members who have lost any sense of respect and decency. Edwin Starr asked the question way back in the 60's and the answer is, sadly, "nope"

"Peace love and understanding tell me
Is there no place for them today"

This incident on it's own shouldn't deter anyone from drafting him.

I agree with @Akrasian that the theft and rape allegation is much more troublesome, especially with the crackdown this year in the NFL on domestic abuse.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Geez - some people make things a lot harder than they really need to be. This kid is probably the most well known person on campus, with the most to gain from being drafted high in the NFL... and he continuously does stupid stuff like this.