Jake Mathew ranked last among OTS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I love GRob but he probably wouldn't be ranked very good right now either if he was playing LT.
I don't doubt you are right on the pass pro ,but I think in run blocking it's gonna take an all pro to stalemate that kid.
I was never worried about him not starting immediately and FWIW just because Matthews was only means Atlanta needed him to worse than we needed GR to.
Been saying it for two weeks now this draft we killed it , has the potential to be a legendary one like the Steelers or Cowboys had .

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I have watched 2 Falcon games this year. He was pretty good in both. I know he is battling an ankle issue but based on the two game I seen he must of been really bad in the others. I would love to see what Jake Long's stats are based on this. I have seen all of Longs games and quite frankly Matthews probably looked better in the 2 games I seen.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
I don't think the rating of Jake Matthews is an accurate indicator of the type of player he will be. He is playing for a team that even the backups are getting placed on the IR. It's a line of 5 bodies and with the amount of injured bodies they've had, they can't be too picky.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I don't think the rating of Jake Matthews is an accurate indicator of the type of player he will be. He is playing for a team that even the backups are getting placed on the IR. It's a line of 5 bodies and with the amount of injured bodies they've had, they can't be too picky.
And if Atlanta had the luxury of letting him sit he may have sat as long as Greg.

A wise coach once said " if you listen too much to the fans , you'll end up sitting with them" I believe he was spot on

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Than GR? No way, Jose. There's plenty of arguments for doubting the GR pick, ceiling ain't one of them. Guy has about as high of a ceiling as you can find. He's massive, long-limbed, freakishly powerful, and uniquely athletic for his size. Watkins isn't even a freak athlete for his size. There's plenty to like with Watkins but he's not Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss or Julio Jones. Greg Robinson is about as freakish as you can get for a NFL OL.
Great post.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The bad issues that rookie Jake Matthews is going through may be outside his control IMO. The plan was to insert Matthews in @ Right OT and let him learn the NFL @ a slow easy mush less demanding pace.....Ram fans know all to well things don't always go to plan.

Falcons have lost its starting center, starting OLT, starting ORT another starting center & its top reserve OT to the Injured Reserve. Their best OL'er, OLG Justin Blalock is seriously hurting in pain, is starting next to Jake Matthews has an injured back that goes back to September. Five OL'ers on the IR!

Rams are in a different position thanks to the hard work & pain that starting OLT Jake Long went through & performed in the short off-season to get ready for this season. While Long may never again be the same OLT that he was last season his presence in the starting OL has made the Greg Robinson stew turn out so well @ OLG! Kudos :bow:to Jake Long for the hard work!(y)

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
Anybody know where jake long was ranked? Just curious
I'm curious as well. Anybody know?

Jake Long is ranked 38/71 with a -1.9 grade. He's had negative grades the last 3 games.

On the positive side, Joe Barksdale is doing REALLY well. His +10.2 has him ranked him #10 of 71 Ts, although he did get dinged a bit for pass protection the last two weeks.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I said this before the draft... I don't think he's going to be all that great. I think he'll get better, but I don't see him being a dominant OT.

I suppose it's just my opinion though.

This was my opinion of JM as well. Robinson's ceiling is so much higher than Matthews' it's not even funny. Apparently the "Matthews is more pro ready" slogan is also turning out to be BS. Robinson has two starts and is already looking like the better rookie.

Having said that, I wouldn't read too much into Matthews' Year-1 PFF ratings. He'll get better... just not as good as GR.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am a Jake Mathews fan. Dude might still be playing in 20yrs!

That said; our guy looks good and he's got the potential to be outrageously dominant.

jjab360

Legend
I am a Jake Mathews fan. Dude might still be playing in 20yrs!

That said; our guy looks good and he's got the potential to be outrageously dominant.
If he keeps down this road, he might not be playing in 2 years. :eek:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Jake...not too high....During the combine I woulda been satisfied with Lewan or Robinson...after the combine, I hoped for Robinson....Lewan with a trade down & extra pick woulda been sweet too...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like Jake...not too high....During the combine I woulda been satisfied with Lewan or Robinson...after the combine, I hoped for Robinson....Lewan with a trade down & extra pick woulda been sweet too...

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Falcons have lost its starting center, starting OLT, starting ORT another starting center & its top reserve OT to the Injured Reserve. Their best OL'er, OLG Justin Blalock is seriously hurting in pain, is starting next to Jake Matthews has an injured back that goes back to September. Five OL'ers on the IR!

For all of you that doubt the importance of the Oline, this is the sure way to have a one and fifteen year!