Jake Mathew ranked last among OTS

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PolarBear

Rookie
Follow
Evan SilvaVerified account‏@evansilva
#Falcons rookie Jake Matthews is dead last in @PFF's OT ratings. 71st of 71. Fellow Aggie Luke Joeckel struggling too. Joeckel 59th of 71.

Retweet
Favorite
More
5:50 PM - 21 Oct 2014

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/10/18/falcons-jake-matthews-hurt-and-struggling/

Well the good news is that things were better forJake Matthews in Week 6 against the Chicago Bears than in Week 5 against the New York Giants. The bad news: the bar was set extremely low. Matthews followed up a dismal -9.9 overall PFF grade against the Giants with a disappointing, but less disastrous, -3.5 against the Bears.

Matthews is struggling both as a pass blocker and as a run blocker. He is currently ranked 57th out of 58 eligible tackles in Pass Blocking Efficiency; allowing 18 total pressures on 175 pass blocking snaps. Matthews’ -15.3 cumulativeoverall PFF grade and -7.8 Run Blocking grade both rank 70thout of 72 eligible tackles.

Because of the late switch to left tackle in the preseason and a nagging ankle injury, the only solution seems to be to wait it out and hope things improve. Not helping matters any, Matthews will face the Baltimore Ravens pass rushing trio of Terrell Suggs (8.5 Pass Rushing Productivity), Elvis Dumervil (10.4) and Pernell McPhee(13.2) this week. All three rank among the top 17 in 3-4 OLBs in Pass Rushing Productivity.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Matthews has been playing on a bad wheel. If the Falcons continue to struggle, they'll shut him down.

He'll be fine.

A55VA6

Legend
I said this before the draft... I don't think he's going to be all that great. I think he'll get better, but I don't see him being a dominant OT.

I suppose it's just my opinion though.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
He will be alright. He just won't ever be an impact guy
Robinson will. The Rams made the right call out of those 2. There is a certain guy in Buffalo though....

Athos

Legend
I didn't want him. That's for sure. A technician. Good, but not great, player.

jjab360

Legend
He will be alright. He just won't ever be an impact guy
Robinson will. The Rams made the right call out of those 2. There is a certain guy in Buffalo though....
Not sure what yet another receiver would do in this offense. A dominant O-lineman, though? Exactly what the doctor ordered.

RamDynasty

UDFA
He will never be dominant like Robinson. Just doesn't have the body type and power. We got the right guy. So glad Fish didn't let the Mathews bloodline get in the way of picking the better lineman.

Dr C. Hill

Rookie
Name
Doc
Not sure what yet another receiver would do in this offense. A dominant O-lineman, though? Exactly what the doctor ordered.

I think the Rams are at a point, or at least hope they are, where they can take the best player regardless of position. After Clowney, Watkins was the best prospect in this draft IMO. I am cool with Robinson, and I understand the need in taking him. He will be an impact player for a long time. I think that the ceiling on Watkins though is a whole lot higher.

jjab360

Legend
I think the Rams are at a point, or at least hope they are, where they can take the best player regardless of position. After Clowney, Watkins was the best prospect in this draft IMO. I am cool with Robinson, and I understand the need in taking him. He will be an impact player for a long time. I think that the ceiling on Watkins though is a whole lot higher.
Well, that's where we differ. I thought Robinson was the better prospect, actually had Donald ranked ahead of Sammy as well. Those three guys (including Clowney) were the freaks in this class, Watkins was a very good WR but he'll never be the best in the league. I thought those 3 guys had the potential to be the best at their respective positions. OL also comes with more positional value and was a much bigger need.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Than GR? No way, Jose. There's plenty of arguments for doubting the GR pick, ceiling ain't one of them. Guy has about as high of a ceiling as you can find. He's massive, long-limbed, freakishly powerful, and uniquely athletic for his size. Watkins isn't even a freak athlete for his size. There's plenty to like with Watkins but he's not Calvin Johnson or Randy Moss or Julio Jones. Greg Robinson is about as freakish as you can get for a NFL OL.

reggae

That
's your opinion. And the wrong one. Had we traded to 9 I still wouldn't have taken Watkins.that's my opinion.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Wow, wasn't expecting that.

I'm Loving the Robinson pick.I think we just need to continue drafting OL'men or DL'men in the first round every year. Next year we replace Scott Wells, then maybe a new LG...

It never ends. If we quit building the trenches, the wheels are sure to fall off. Our OL would probably be in pretty bad shape if we didn't have Robinson.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Really liking Greg Robinson Rams run game has changed with him on the left side. I wanted Matthews, but we're starting to reap the benefits of the draft picks of 2014 and IMO I don't care on who the Rams could have drafted, I want to focus on the guys they did!

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I love GRob but he probably wouldn't be ranked very good right now either if he was playing LT.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I'm Loving the Robinson pick.I think we just need to continue drafting OL'men...Next year we replace Scott Wells, then maybe a new LG
I couldn't agree more. Some people want us to draft a qb in the 1st round, which would be nice. But we could probably get a good one in the 2nd or 3rd. I would rather build a stout o-line first. It's working well for Dallas, and we have a better stable of running backs. We already have good receivers, tightends, and running backs, a stout o-line would be a complete package for any qb.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Really liking Greg Robinson Rams run game has changed with him on the left side. I wanted Matthews, but we're starting to reap the benefits of the draft picks of 2014 and IMO I don't care on who the Rams could have drafted, I want to focus on the guys they did!

Agree, especially the last part...Engaging in the coulda, woulda, shoulda game for more than a day or so is a waste of time, energy and sanity, IMO...

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Robinson was a good pick. First time in years the #1 was the guy I wanted before the draft (since Bradford, I suppose... never expected Quinn to drop to us in 2011). That said, I'd take Matthews on my team any day. He's going to be good. Maybe not great, but good, solid, and he should have a nice long career.

I will concur with the suggestions to continue drafting O-linemen; Martin would have been great, and I wonder if he wouldn't be playing center for us right now, since he did a lot of center drills in the pre-draft process. I also would have liked Travis Swanson in the 3rd, although Mason's looked good the past two games.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Well, that's where we differ. I thought Robinson was the better prospect, actually had Donald ranked ahead of Sammy as well. Those three guys (including Clowney) were the freaks in this class, Watkins was a very good WR but he'll never be the best in the league. I thought those 3 guys had the potential to be the best at their respective positions. OL also comes with more positional value and was a much bigger need.
Watkins might not even be the best receiver in the 2014 draft class. Panthers were criticized a little for selecting Kelvin Benjamin. There is not a lot to desire about the Panthers offense this season. They've not done a great job of running the ball. They really only have 3 weapons on offense, Newton, Olson, and Benjamin. Benjamin is catching contested balls and has a catching radius big enough to be considered it's own area code. Benjamin has been a bright spot and a weapon for the Panthers. It wouldn't surprise me if Newton is the Panthers leading rusher this year, they've struggled getting the running game going.