Jake Long is back in the saddle for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
45 minutes ago • By Jim Thomas jthomas@post-dispatch.com 314-340-8197

Record crowd watches Rams training camp

Welcome to Canton: Time is at hand for Aeneas Williams

Former Rams, Big Red star enters Pro Fooball Hall of Fame on Saturday. Read more

Rams will hear from NFL about sportsmanship

Officials are touring the league's camps to stress proper conduct in the workplace; Fisher will further emphasize their points. Read more

RELATED LINKS

A week into camp usually is when most teams start losing players to injury. But following a day off Wednesday, the Rams returned to practice Thursday night with some familiar faces taking part in 11-on-11 work.

Most notably veterans Jake Long, William Hayes, and Scott Wells, plus third-year cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

Left tackle Long is recovering from offseason knee surgery; defensive end Hayes is returning from hip, collarbone, and ankle surgeries during the offseason. To this point, they had been taking part in individual drills and working on the side. Taking part in 11-on-11 — or “team” — work is the last major hurdle to being game ready.

“It’s great to have William and Jake back,” coach Jeff Fisher said following Thursday practice at Rams Park. “They’ve been working hard. We’ve just got to ease ’em back into it. There were no issues today, so we’ll get some reps (Friday). But it was good to get ‘em back in. They’re both excited.”

Wells had missed the end of OTAs with an illness, and has been working himself back into the practice routine in the early going of camp. Johnson has missed just a few days of camp with what appeared to be a soft-tissue leg injury.

If it were the regular season, the workload Thursday for Long and Wells would have been termed limited. But their return meant that the first-team offensive line worked together for the first time in training camp, albeit for just a few snaps: Long at left tackle, Greg Robinson at left guard, Wells at center, Rodger Saffold at right guard, and Joe Barksdale at right tackle.

“It’s good to have Jake’s presence in the offensive huddle again,” Fisher said. “So that’s encouraging.”

“It felt good just to be out there (as a unit),” Long said, after the team’s third consecutive practice in shoulder pads. “Because we’ve been doing it in walk-throughs. But going out there and doing ‘live’ reps against our defense, it felt good to all be together.”

Long, who suffered ACL and MCL injuries in his right knee in last year’s Dec. 22 game against Tampa Bay, said he’s right on schedule in his return.

“All along, we had this schedule planned out since the surgery, and we’ve been following it,” Long said. “As long as we don’t have any setbacks, we’re gonna keep progressing and getting better.”

That schedule calls for Long to make his preseason debut in Game 2 or 3 of exhibition play.

“Yeah, I definitely want to get some reps in the preseason,” Long said.

Long said the knee felt great Thursday; his workload will gradually increase in the coming days and weeks.

At age 24, Johnson is one of the “veterans” of what has to be one of the NFL’s youngest secondaries. His injury, which appeared to be a tweaked hamstring, never looked serious, but every rep counts for the third-year pro. The Rams are counting on him and fellow starter Janoris Jenkins for improved play at the cornerback position.

“It felt good to finally get out on the field,” Johnson said. “It was a lot of mental reps for the last three or four days. ... So it was good to be back out there with my teammates.”

Several other players were back on the field in varying degrees Thursday after missing time earlier in camp, a group that included: second-year offensive guard Brandon Washington, and undrafted rookies Kadeem Jones (fullback), Johnny Millard (linebacker), and Ethan Westbrooks (defensive end).

Westbrooks, who suffered a hamstring injury training on his own between the end of OTAs and the start of training camp, took part in 1-one-1 pass rush drills Thursday. When all is said and done, he could provide competition for University of Missouri defensive end Michael Sam for a spot on the 53-man roster.

Those not practicing Thursday were: defensive end Sammy Brown, cornerbacks Christian Bryant and Jarrid Bryant, center/guard Barrett Jones, defensive back Lamarcus Joyner, and running back Isaiah Pead.

“We have a couple guys that are just a day or two away,” Fisher said. “But we’re in good shape.”

Ultra-durable linebacker James Laurinaitis left practice early after getting his foot stepped on. It didn’t appear serious.

“I don’t know anything about it right now,” Fisher said. “He got stepped on. We’ll have to check it out.”

Follow Jim Thomas on twitter @jthom1

RustyRay

Rookie
As serious as Jake Long knee injury was its simply amazing he is back and participating in 11's so early in camp. Such great news for the Rams...He is a huge piece of the puzzle this season...One of the most important pieces for the O. When healthy and locked in he is an Elite player.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Glad he's back - I just hope he's not pushing it too much, I'd hate anything to go wrong :unsure:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Long back for the first week of the season would be HUGE. Sounds like he's been putting in the work, like a true pro.

MFaulk107

The Realness
Glad he's back - I just hope he's not pushing it too much, I'd hate anything to go wrong :unsure:
This! If he isn't suppose to be back week 1 id keep him out and bring him in week 2. I don't want him to jeopardize anything, because he wants to rush!

Play it safe Long!
Other than that, this is great news, can't wait for this O line.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
Great news, and the Rams have a plan B. Smart coaching.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This! If he isn't suppose to be back week 1 id keep him out and bring him in week 2. I don't want him to jeopardize anything, because he wants to rush!

Play it safe Long!

They seem to have their act together with these trainers. I trust their timetable.

Years ago; it seemed we always rushed guys back and they'd just get hurt again.

Martz used to say; on the week they appear ready... Add one more. I think he's right with that logic.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Ive never had a doubt that Long would be ready for the start of the season. He should get into at least two preseason games. The more time they can get together the better.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Ive never had a doubt that Long would be ready for the start of the season. He should get into at least two preseason games. The more time they can get together the better.

Yeah, I don't want to see him rushed... But the preseason reps are important even for a vet like J Long.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Yeah, I don't want to see him rushed... But the preseason reps are important even for a vet like J Long.
Agreed but hopefully he won't play full games the first 3 weeks (due to us having commanding leads, of course) then take the bye week to rest up and get ready for that Super Bowl push!

Last edited:

PhxRam

Play it safe Long!

If Long is not ready in week 1 they would probably be better served to hold him out until after the bye.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
That sounds awesome. I didn't think he'd start getting any practice reps until after training camp. I hope neither side is rushing back.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Guy is a classic true mans pro. Works hard and no bs. I m not shocked.

MFaulk107

The Realness
If Long is not ready in week 1 they would probably be better served to hold him out until after the bye.
Or even start him a week before the bye, that way he can warm up for that difficult stretch of games.

jap

Legend
I also never doubted Jake would be back in time, barring some unusual setback. He's used to getting himself ready for all pro conditioning, including returning from past injuries, and I fully expected him to handle his recovery period with full professionalism.