Jake Ellenbogen's 2017 top positional players Free Agency prediction

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Here's a list of free agent centers for 2017. You tell me. Sorry but I can't get excited about any of these centers.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/center/

Name/age

Cody Wallace/32
John Sullivan/31
Ryan Wendell/30
A.Q. Shipley/30
Joe Hawley - 28
Michael Person/28 - Sound familiar? He played guard for the Rams.
J.C. Tretter/26
Brian Schwenke/25

If we got Tretter for a reasonable price, i'd be pretty happy about it. I'm yet to understand how the OP established Tretter's market value for 2017 as he's had pretty poor luck in the injury department, although none are considered chronic. I'd also have Wichmann spending the entire off-season and camp working a Center skill set. Rotoworld suggests Tretter may only net a short term 'show me' type contract, so yes, i'd take my chances on him. Would I rather pay Barnes $3.mil and get the nothing i'm used to, or pay an incentive laden $4-5mil. to Tretter on a gamble he stays healthy ? ... I take the gamble on the better player turning it around over an established poor player doing the same. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Here's a list of free agent centers for 2017. You tell me. Sorry but I can't get excited about any of these centers.

Name/age

Cody Wallace/32
John Sullivan/31
Ryan Wendell/30
A.Q. Shipley/30
Joe Hawley - 28
J.C. Tretter/26
Brian Schwenke/25

I agree fully with you .Try this compare it with the 2018 UFA Center list. There is a big difference in overall talent & quantity next year 2018.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/center/

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
If we came away with those 4 free agents and went OL in rounds 2 and 3 ( Forrest Lamp and Ethan Pocic)

Where's that picture of Randy from Southpark?

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'll take that FA haul. Garcon and Woods would be an immediate upgrade over Britt & Quick. Both run way better routes in their sleep. Bouye would be an extreme get and would solidify our CB spots if they can keep Tru. My biggest "want" for the OL is a Center. GOT to upgrade that position. I haven't studied any C's in the draft yet but .... we need that guy... like Atlanta got in Mack, to be the solid anchor in the middle of that OL. Barnes is a "try hard" guy ... but IMHO, he was a weak link.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
DeSean Jackson, 30 years old, Washington Redskins

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/02/19/desean-jackson-may-find-himself-in-high-demand/

DeSean Jackson may find himself in high demand
Posted by Mike Florio on February 19, 2017

499168066-e1487516282825.jpg
Getty Images

Washington receiver DeSean Jackson has been sending mixed messages about whether he wants to return to Philadelphia or stay where he has been for the last three years. However, Jackson may have more than two options when the market opens in 18 days.

Current chatter in league circles is that Jackson will be generating strong interest as free agency approaches. Despite being 30, he’s still one of the fastest players in the league — capable of breaking a game open and otherwise stretching a defense in a way that allows others to operate in the underneath area.

In December, Eagles defensive end Brandon Graham said that Jackson consistently claims that “I’ll be back,” and with coach Chip Kelly long gone it wouldn’t be a shock if Philly pursues a reunion. In immediate response, Jackson opted to be vague.

“Once free agency comes, we’ll see how it plays out,” he said in the aftermath of Graham’s comments. “This is the first time in my career I’ll hit the free-agent market, so I’m definitely intrigued about seeing what’s going to happen and test the market and see what’s going on. Who knows what will happen?”

More recently, Jackson said he’d like to stay in Washington, but added that he’ll “take the best offer.” He also seemed to be a little resentful about the way things ended in Philadelphia.

“The image they put out on me, I had three years to prove to everyone ‘No, he’s not that type of guy,'” Jackson said earlier this month, via ESPN.com. “‘He’s a team guy. He loves to get the ball.’ What receiver do you want on the team who doesn’t want to get the ball?

And then as far as how I am around the locker room, with teammates and all the guys, the coaches, I proved and showed everybody. I haven’t gotten in trouble off the field. I’ve done everything. I’m a family man. I’m a man about business who wants to go out there and keep producing.”

Before he produces on the field, he may be producing a large signing bonus and a hefty guarantee with Washington, Philadelphia, or someone else.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If we got Tretter for a reasonable price, i'd be pretty happy about it. I'm yet to understand how the OP established Tretter's market value for 2017 as he's had pretty poor luck in the injury department, although none are considered chronic. I'd also have Wichmann spending the entire off-season and camp working a Center skill set. Rotoworld suggests Tretter may only net a short term 'show me' type contract, so yes, i'd take my chances on him. Would I rather pay Barnes $3.mil and get the nothing i'm used to, or pay an incentive laden $4-5mil. to Tretter on a gamble he stays healthy ? ... I take the gamble on the better player turning it around over an established poor player doing the same. jmo.
I would totally be down for Tretter if that is the case! Worried a team with double our cap space goes full on stupid and signs him to a mega deal. I also said Wichmann should have been tried out at center last year. Love that as well.

Hey hey oh oh Timothy Barnes has got to go!!!!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I'll take that FA haul. Garcon and Woods would be an immediate upgrade over Britt & Quick. Both run way better routes in their sleep. Bouye would be an extreme get and would solidify our CB spots if they can keep Tru. My biggest "want" for the OL is a Center. GOT to upgrade that position. I haven't studied any C's in the draft yet but .... we need that guy... like Atlanta got in Mack, to be the solid anchor in the middle of that OL. Barnes is a "try hard" guy ... but IMHO, he was a weak link.
Hell yeah! I agree. I think this FA pool of centers is top heavy and then it's a black hole. I also think we should consider signing Matt Paradis to an offer sheet. Broncos could match, but the dude was the no.1 overall center per PFF this year. I want that guy!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
At 6' 7" and 300 lbs he's a bit tall and lean for that position but I wouldn't complain about it if we got him.
Yeah that is true but Mayock was saying you could still play him there and get tremendous results. He's the real deal.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If we came away with those 4 free agents and went OL in rounds 2 and 3 ( Forrest Lamp and Ethan Pocic)

Where's that picture of Randy from Southpark?
For real though!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I agree fully with you .Try this compare it with the 2018 UFA Center list. There is a big difference in overall talent & quantity next year 2018.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2018/center/
That's always how it is with the Rams...It's just a matter of being too early or too late. The Rams had the No.1 pick in the draft in 2010, but they got the No.2 pick in 2012. They miss out on Andrew Luck but they draft Bradford. The Rams normally don't have good luck in that department. Like again this is the year that those QB prospects: Josh Allen, Luke Falk decided to stay in school. That doesn't help us as that would have pushed a player or two down to us...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Name/age

Cody Wallace/32
John Sullivan/31
Ryan Wendell/30
A.Q. Shipley/30
Joe Hawley - 28
J.C. Tretter/26
Brian Schwenke/25

What about rumors of Phillynfeleasing Jason Kelce ?

Yeah it is best to not to invest in a center for huge $$ like Fisher & That small D" coach who is back in NY(NJ) ..

Raiders with Hudson was a great signing.
Alex Mack with Atlanta as well.
Pitt & Dallas drafting Pouncy & Fredrick
--even Pouncy with Miami.

IfnLinehan was to sign Matt Burk instead of Baltimore , The Rams could have been a playoff team.

--yes the center position can be a position of power . Saw Concussion & Mike Webster was a great one. A shame of the NFL. --My mom good bless here soul was a huge Ram & JackYoungblood fan.She stopped being a Ram fan & loved Jr. from USC . She always loved the Jr Ryan Leaf rookie story & passed before the JR suicide.She would not let me play tackle until high school. She knew about the insides of The NFL. North Dallas Forty was another part of it with The Raiders(loved Blanda & Madden). Then Lyle was another part of it. There are era's of time.
--Tom Mack was my fav. Doug Smith was special & doughnut Bro's were cool.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
What about rumors of Phillynfeleasing Jason Kelce ?

Yeah it is best to not to invest in a center for huge $$ like Fisher & That small D" coach who is back in NY(NJ) ..

Raiders with Hudson was a great signing.
Alex Mack with Atlanta as well.
Pitt & Dallas drafting Pouncy & Fredrick
--even Pouncy with Miami.

IfnLinehan was to sign Matt Burk instead of Baltimore , The Rams could have been a playoff team.

--yes the center position can be a position of power . Saw Concussion & Mike Webster was a great one. A shame of the NFL. --My mom good bless here soul was a huge Ram & JackYoungblood fan.She stopped being a Ram fan & loved Jr. from USC . She always loved the Jr Ryan Leaf rookie story & passed before the JR suicide.She would not let me play tackle until high school. She knew about the insides of The NFL. North Dallas Forty was another part of it with The Raiders(loved Blanda & Madden). Then Lyle was another part of it. There are era's of time.
--Tom Mack was my fav. Doug Smith was special & doughnut Bro's were cool.
You know what? I will definitely take Kelce, he wouldn't be too too much I don't think.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's always how it is with the Rams...It's just a matter of being too early or too late. The Rams had the No.1 pick in the draft in 2010, but they got the No.2 pick in 2012. They miss out on Andrew Luck but they draft Bradford. The Rams normally don't have good luck in that department. Like again this is the year that those QB prospects: Josh Allen, Luke Falk decided to stay in school. That doesn't help us as that would have pushed a player or two down to us...

I call BS !! It's about drafting & trading back. My believe is to trust your board & find value . Can always trade back. Then again during draft trade ups can be good.
The Rams could have(should) traded back The last RG111 pick. How you get a #2 pick overall for free back after all those picks they receieved ?? The gift that keeps giving . Why ever end that ?? Could trade back for ever. Imho ??

My thing were draft Matt Ryan & make Atlanta pay. If not you have your QB of the future.
Same with Jay Cutler.Why trade back when there is a franchise QB right there.

Bradford out in the right situation could & can be a top QB . All draft are there own creation.You never know, but one player does not make a team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You know what? I will definitely take Kelce, he wouldn't be too too much I don't think.

Agree - sign him a front loaded 2 year contract ?? You still have to develop & have depth. Wichmann over Rhaney. You need a Center guard combo on depth chart. Rhaney was a poor center at best. Fishers lack of depth for younger players & not giving up on his draft picks when needed.

I trust The Rams coaching staff & Snead at this point. They should get it right.
I guess my point being you can still do well without a top center as long as they can hold there own./

Niners with Randy Cross & Jessie Supolo were special for some Super Bowls as well. Just thoughts & memories popping up.

ninedeuce

Rookie
If DeSean Jackson is too expensive or signs elsewhere, I think we should take a shot at Kenny Stills for the burner role in the new offense. That said, he might also get overpaid because of his youth.

I would also love it if we landed Tretter. As for CB, if Tru's agent gets ridiculous with their expectations, they should probably go somewhere else and we go after Logan Ryan.

Last edited: