Jabrill Peppers failed drug test

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Oops.

Every year there is someone. Some guys recover and go on to good careers (Justin Houston) but most of them are just broadcasting that they don't have it between the ears.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Here's the question, how far would he fall before the Rams grabbed him.

It will be interesting to see how this Rams regime approaches character flags. Fisher seemed to damn near ignore them, Spags had the 4 pillars approach which cost us some good prospects. The best approach - methinks - is somewhere in the middle.

Psycho_X

Legend
Supposedly he was ill right before the combine and has cramping issues so was loaded up on water and IV since he had to do both LB and DB drills. From everything I've read he is a good kid that's never had a problem until this so I'd lean towards taking his word for it if I liked him. Maybe it'll bump him down to us lol? I have a feeling this won't hurt his draft position though.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/r...itive-drug-test-diluted-sample-181428150.html

A diluted sample counts as a positive test for the NFL. Peppers’ agents at CAA told Schefter that Peppers drank a lot of water because he was sick at the combine, which caused the failed test. Here’s the CAA statement Schefter posted:

“Peppers went to the combine. He was sick after flying there from San Diego. He has a history of cramping. Peppers was being pumped with fluids, drinking 8-10 bottles of water before he went to bed, because he was the first guy to work out two days for the LBs and DBs. He had to go through that first day, come back on second day, and that was the fear. So Peppers was pounding water and under the weather. He never failed a drug test in his life, nor tested positive before for any substance.”

Teams will have to figure out if or how much the Peppers news affects their evaluation of him as a prospect, and that evaluation was difficult to begin with. Peppers was one of the biggest names in college football last season, as the Wolverines used him at safety, linebacker and running back among other positions. His versatility was a plus in college, and will help in the NFL, but teams have to figure out what his best position is in the pros.

Peppers was considered a late first-round prospect by many draft prognosticators. Maybe teams won’t be worried about Peppers’ failed test because he has a plausible excuse and he had no known character concerns throughout his college career. But it’s another layer to evaluate for one of the draft’s most intriguing prospects.

Ram65

Legend
Sounds like he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Wouldn't it be interesting if a prospect and his agent got out in front of this.? They offered a stated something like:

"Due to illness xxxxxxxxx will be taking in a lot of fluid during the combine to stay hydrated. We hope he passes all urine testing but, know their is a chance he could get a diluted sample. XXXXXXX has never failed a urine test before and hope this will not effect how he is perceived.by coaches and team personnel."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Supposedly he was ill right before the combine and has cramping issues so was loaded up on water and IV since he had to do both LB and DB drills. From everything I've read he is a good kid that's never had a problem until this so I'd lean towards taking his word for it if I liked him. Maybe it'll bump him down to us lol? I have a feeling this won't hurt his draft position though.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/r...itive-drug-test-diluted-sample-181428150.html

A diluted sample counts as a positive test for the NFL. Peppers’ agents at CAA told Schefter that Peppers drank a lot of water because he was sick at the combine, which caused the failed test. Here’s the CAA statement Schefter posted:

“Peppers went to the combine. He was sick after flying there from San Diego. He has a history of cramping. Peppers was being pumped with fluids, drinking 8-10 bottles of water before he went to bed, because he was the first guy to work out two days for the LBs and DBs. He had to go through that first day, come back on second day, and that was the fear. So Peppers was pounding water and under the weather. He never failed a drug test in his life, nor tested positive before for any substance.”

Teams will have to figure out if or how much the Peppers news affects their evaluation of him as a prospect, and that evaluation was difficult to begin with. Peppers was one of the biggest names in college football last season, as the Wolverines used him at safety, linebacker and running back among other positions. His versatility was a plus in college, and will help in the NFL, but teams have to figure out what his best position is in the pros.

Peppers was considered a late first-round prospect by many draft prognosticators. Maybe teams won’t be worried about Peppers’ failed test because he has a plausible excuse and he had no known character concerns throughout his college career. But it’s another layer to evaluate for one of the draft’s most intriguing prospects.
It sounds to me like he has a reasonable excuse for this, So I'd give him a pass! Maybe it bumps him from the Bottom of the 1st to the Top of the 2nd round! Possibly #37!!(y);):D

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The NFL's stance on a diluted sample being a failed sample is somewhat ridiculous to me. The only outside body positively tested for was excess water. If he was taking anabolic steroids to gain a competitive advantage, it would have still shown up even in a diluted sample. At best, he was over hydrated to combat combine fatigue but at worst he was trying to lessen the chance that he tests positive for marijuana. If it matters that much to the NFL, take another sample.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Sounds like he gets the benefit of the doubt.

Wouldn't it be interesting if a prospect and his agent got out in front of this.? They offered a stated something like:

"Due to illness xxxxxxxxx will be taking in a lot of fluid during the combine to stay hydrated. We hope he passes all urine testing but, know their is a chance he could get a diluted sample. XXXXXXX has never failed a urine test before and hope this will not effect how he is perceived.by coaches and team personnel."

as great as that may sound, it would set a bad precedent. future players that know they may fail a test can just use that statement as a reason for why they will have a diluted sample

Ram65

Legend
as great as that may sound, it would set a bad precedent. future players that know they may fail a test can just use that statement as a reason for why they will have a diluted sample

Well, they use it anyway, but after they get a diluted sample.

At least if a prospect is sick they could let it be known early on. At least they are out in front of it this way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would treat it as a failed drug test. His history speaks to him being a good kid and all, but you gotta flag him for that.

But either way he's not destined for the horns because we don't need a SS and he won't last long enough to be that value pick they can't afford to pass on.