It'll take some time for Rams' top pick Greg Robinson to get comfortable at left guard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
http://msn.foxsports.com/midwest/st...inson-to-get-comfortable-at-left-guard-060614

ST. LOUIS -- The No. 2 overall pick in last month's NFL Draft has spent the past few weeks bonding with new teammates, trying to get to know a new city, learn a new playbook and transition to a new position.

That's about it, Greg Robinson says.

The massive Auburn offensive lineman started for two seasons at left tackle for the Tigers, but he's beginning his NFL career with the St. Louis Rams at left guard.

"It's kinda tough, but it's coming slowly," he tells FOXSportsMidwest.com. "Every day I've been improving. I would say I'm a little rusty at guard, but I'm getting better every day."

The 6-foot-5, 332-pounder has fit in nicely with the Rams' offensive line during OTAs this week. If everyone is healthy to begin the season in a few months, Robinson will line up in between veteran left tackle Jake Long and center Scott Wells, with Rodger Saffold at the other guard spot and Joe Barksdale at right tackle.

"He just adds more power to the line," Saffold says. "All we need is Jake and we pretty much get our complete line together, and then we start really meshing. He's really just been kind of feeling his way out. He's been turning some heads with a couple blocks here and there. He's constantly improving."

Saffold, who signed a five-year contract with the Rams worth more than $31 million this offseason, describes the rookie lineman as a humble kid who works hard and is consistently asking questions.

As long as he does that, Saffold says, Robinson will continue to grow.

"I've just been getting to know a few of the guys on the o-line," Robinson says. "Jake has been really helping me. Scott, Rodger and Joe, they are all real cool guys and they are really just trying to help me out and bring me along to help me get accustomed to the offense."

It's obvious that is something the 21 year old is working on.

Auburn was dominant offensively during Robinson's junior season last fall, but anyone who watched the Tigers' SEC championship game win against Mizzou knows that the strength of that squad's offense was running a limited number of plays that opponents couldn't stop. Or at least Mizzou couldn't on that day in early December.

Going from Gus Malzahn's playbook to Brian Schottenheimer's has been an adjustment so far for the big fella, along with the position transition.

"We had a select few (plays at Auburn) but it worked," Robinson says. "This is a full playbook and it's something that I'm really going to have to work on and really learn in and out, because I'm sure they are not going to play nobody that's not ready. But they threw me in the fire, and that's something that I'm going to have to get used to real fast."

Robinson says he hasn't played guard since high school, when he used to start at right tackle but would get moved to the guard spots at times depending on his team's opponents.

Asked if he likes playing guard, the rookie paused before answering.

"Well," he says, "I can get my hands on them faster, so it's something that I think I can grow to like. But I'm a little rusty. It's been a while since I played guard."

Then he was told that Saffold made the switch from playing both tackle spots to guard last season, which the veteran did after returning from an injury following Barksdale's emergence at right tackle for the Rams.

"Yeah, he told me it was hard for him at the beginning, but it's something that he got accustomed to just over repetition and practice," Robinson says. "I think sooner or later it's going to come."

SierraRam

Recreational User
Thanks again X for the post.

Schotty ought to implement some straight foward, smash-mouth goal line plays that have Big Greg simply push his man into the goal post. Touchdown Zac!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Well, no surprise...alll new things take a little work...HE got a 21 on the wonderlic, and he is a dedicated guy, so I expect good things.

This line will dominate against 4 man fronts in the run game....it looked like the Rams have a hard time with 3 man fronts....see Cards-49er games...even with Saffold at guard they didn't look so good. Against 4 man fronts, they will be a top 3 run blocking line....imho

In the pass pro, teams didn't do much agains the Rams once Saffold started starting at guard.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Robinson will be just fine. Sure there will be some adjustment, but I still expect him to bully oposing D lineman starting week 1

jap

Legend
Robinson will be just fine. Sure there will be some adjustment, but I still expect him to bully oposing D lineman starting week 1

After working steadily against The Incredible Brock throughout TC, Greg will be ready for anyone in the NFL.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I'm not worried about him at OG. I think it's the best move and will ease his transition into the NFL

jap

Legend
Would love to see those two go at it.

The earth will tremble, and the mountains will be brought down low. And there will be thundering and lightning and gale force winds . . . The dead may rise from their graves! :sneaky::ROFLMAO:

SierraRam

Recreational User
Would love to see those two go at it.

images

Memphis Ram

Legend
This line will dominate against 4 man fronts in the run game....it looked like the Rams have a hard time with 3 man fronts....see Cards-49er games...even with Saffold at guard they didn't look so good.

I think some of the blame has to go to the RBs vs. the 3 man fronts. Sometimes the vision hasn't been as good and holes have been missed when I watched.

SierraRam

Recreational User
I think some of the blame has to go to the RBs vs. the 3 man fronts. Sometimes the vision hasn't been as good and holes have been missed when I watched.

Great point. It sure doesn't seem to be an issue with Tre! That guy was running free on every play last year. Vision is as important as speed and stength for an RB... maybe more so. That's what I loved about Zac too. The guy hits the hole.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
It may take Gregzilla some time to get comfortable at left guard, but I guarantee defensive linemen will never get comfortable with him there

Memphis Ram

Legend
Going from Gus Malzahn's playbook to Brian Schottenheimer's has been an adjustment so far for the big fella, along with the position transition.

"We had a select few (plays at Auburn) but it worked," Robinson says. "This is a full playbook and it's something that I'm really going to have to work on and really learn in and out, because I'm sure they are not going to play nobody that's not ready. But they threw me in the fire, and that's something that I'm going to have to get used to real fast."

I've always wondered if a larger playbook is better than a smaller playbook with some staple plays executed perfectly. Especially, if those staple plays have different variations/reads to them like Auburn.

Example: It seems to me that end around where they either give it to or fake it to Austin could be run about 10 or more times a game and the team would still have success most of the time (with more fakes). Even more if a play action pass option could be included in it.

Last edited:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I've always wondered if a larger playbook is better than a smaller playbook with some staple plays executed perfectly. Especially, if those staple plays have different variations/reads to them like Auburn.

Example: It seems to me that end around where they either give it to or fake it to Austin could be run about 10 or more times a game and the team would still have success most of the time (with more fakes). Even more if a play action pass option could be included in it.
I think almost all players are shocked by the complexity of pro playbooks vs. college,
I really think Pete Carrol decided to just become more physical and faster in the pros because it's how he won in college,so bottom line if ya have the horses simple is fine but if you're out manned simple's gonna get ya killed.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Gregzilla is a great nickname for Robinson!!! :LOL: Gotta find one for Aaron Donald now.
Maybe the name of the 'Stone Man" in the Fantastic Four Movie! What was his Name? Anyone Know?