Is Tim Barnes still an unsigned FA?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think he's still unsigned. Haven't even heard about a visit, tbh.

Kinda reinforces the opinion of some of us that we had a deficiency at our C position. That our C position was a big part of our problems in our running and passing game. BTW, didn't we hear Fisher and/or Snead commenting about the solid play of Barnes during the last two years? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

It says a lot when a new staff releases a starter before making a single move to replace him, don't you think?

I mean, THAT speaks volumes.

Tells me that this new staff is paying attention and knows what the hell they're doing.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
No surprise, Kromer saw a trash-tier center in Barnes. Appreciate his effort in that last Seattle game in 2015 though but his overall performance has been lackluster at best.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He still has value as a back up somewhere. He's a tough guy with a ton of hustle, he just couldnt hold guys off consistantly.
Good luck to him.

bnw

Pro Bowler
I like that he doesn't give up on plays. Perhaps the CFL?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
That the first actual roster move the new staff made, cutting Barnes without a replacement in line, makes it apparent the OL needed to be fixed first and foremost, and center was the weakest link.

I liked Barnes for his work ethic and hustle, he just couldn't get by physicly.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
PFF rated Barnes only one point lower than Saffold last year at 76 as I recall.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Aaron Kromer most likely identified some future starting prospects already here signed & having experienced in starting in the NFL i.e. Cody Wichmann, Andrew Donnal & Jamon Brown. In addition to having 3yr back up center Demetrius Rhaney & WWC veteran David Arkin who has played center for Miami & Dallas in the past. But at the moment the Rams do not have a proven NFL starter in the center of our OL. Not a good thing.

I am of the opinion that the 3 mil price tag for Tim Barnes was a major player in the decision on keeping Barnes or not. Another element was Tim was still ailing & rehabbing his broken down foot when the release came. It could be that Tim was not going to be ready to go @ the beginning of TC too. Another element was the Rams 2017 starting center no longer had the big responsibilities of making the OL calls, which was one of the better skills Tim had developed since 2011.

I think that we will see Tim Barnes active on a NFL roster again real soon maybe even for the KC Chiefs. I for one sure appreciated the work done for the Rams since 2011 & say Thanks for being a class act for us & giving the Rams team your all!

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
To add;
Don't get me wrong I think Barnes was second only to right tackle as a weak link.

But I cannot remember one muffed snap, (unlike Wells)
He was healthy. He actually won that Seattle game for us at the end.
He was a try-hard guy just not quite strong enough or athletic enough in the pass game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him as a backup at veteran minimum depending on how they do in the draft.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't recall Barnes having a foot problem, Bon. Enlighten me.

@Soul Surfer

Wk 10 game TB injured his foot. Fox show;d the injury up close & the foot snapped downward. Tim went down went out for a few series went to locker room & returned limping badly to finish the game as our starter. Not much was known about it but it was the type that he could play on it but would be extremely painful. Tim made the decision to stay in the lineup. Tim's play from that point went on a decline.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016...-a-not-as-healthy-as-it-was-injuries-pile-up/
http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/tim-barnes-player-injuries

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
PFF rated Barnes only one point lower than Saffold last year at 76 as I recall.
Shows you what PFF knows....
Seriously...centers get help the majority of the snaps...How could they grade lower that regular linemen that have to go one on one often?

Don't get me wrong I think Barnes was second only to right tackle as a weak link..................* left tackle* :)
naw, you got it right the first time. It's called a "freudian slip". LOLOLOL
And I'm serious about that too...
@BonifayRam Please explain to our new member (welcome Soulsurfer!, keep the comments flowing) why YOU think Tim's foot was banged up, yet he played & started in ALL 16 games? I'm sure @woofwoofmo would love to chime in too.

edit....I see you have...thanks man!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Shows you what PFF knows....
Seriously...centers get help the majority of the snaps...How could they grade lower that regular linemen that have to go one on one often?

naw, you got it right the first time. It's called a "freudian slip". LOLOLOL
And I'm serious about that too...
@BonifayRam Please explain to our new member (welcome Soulsurfer!, keep the comments flowing) why YOU think Tim's foot was banged up, yet he played & started in ALL 16 games? I'm sure @woofwoofmo would love to chime in too.

edit....I see you have...thanks man!

Why ? first I saw it with my own eyes second I paid attention when Tim Barnes was taken to the sideline then I notice that we had a new center starting named Rhaney, then I saw a heavy taped ankle foot when Tim returned to the field. I thought all that was clear to see for all Ram fans to see. Guess I was wrong...................... But then there were all the injury reports that followed the weeks after the alleged/ UNKNOWN foot injury that once again for all real Rams fans to digest........There you go LACHAMP46 I took care of that for you!

@Soul Surfer

I don't think that woofwoofmo will be back in here to chime in here anymore. Due to all the rather pointed critical posts sent his way on his fondness & like for the former 6 yr Ram player Tim Barnes.

(But that's just my opinion on that subject, Mr. Brian Quick's Dad). oh I,m sorry my apologies I meant @LACHAMP46.

Last edited:

MauiRam

Rookie
If any team has enough film to evaluate Timmy Barnes "ceiling" it would be the Rams. I personally as a fan appreciated Tim's efforts, smarts, and just plain guts.That said, it is every coach's responsibility from the lowest assistant all the way up to the head coach to do everything possible to improve the team. However the Rams GM and coaching staff do perceive Timmy's ceiling, the essence of their collective jobs to try and acquire a player that surpasses Tim's abilities.

Barnes was physically overmatched too often at critical moments. The Rams are (hopefully) doing their due diligence. Timmy will likely catch on with a team this year, probably in a backup role - maybe even with us. I think it is fair to say that whatever Timmy had to give, he left it all on the field for the Rams.

The Rams are trying to upgrade at center, and they will bring in a FA, a draft pick, or both. I (as a fan), am hoping for both.

One thing of note is that apparently the line calls will no longer be made by the center under McVay; rather it will be Goff. Good luck with that Jared. Goff is perceived to be a really bright guy, but with an entirely new offense, it would seem an overload to ask that he be responsible for line calls/blocking assignments to boot; particularly in light of his lack of experience calling plays in the huddle throughout his college years. Any way one slices or dices it, 2017 is going to be a very interesting year.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
To add;
Don't get me wrong I think Barnes was second only to right tackle as a weak link.

But I cannot remember one muffed snap, (unlike Wells)
He was healthy. He actually won that Seattle game for us at the end.
He was a try-hard guy just not quite strong enough or athletic enough in the pass game.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sign him as a backup at veteran minimum depending on how they do in the draft.

Last year I decided to take a few games and look at Barnes specifically. I saw a guy that missed blocks often, couldn't hold the point of attack and when he did go into open space he rarely made any contact with anyone down field. Why did he get those fumbles downfield in Seattle? He was running free and not engaged with anyone, while following the play. I few people didn't like it but, I just reported what I saw. He was not a good lineman. He is not strong enough and never was. He doesn't fit with Kromer's preferences. I am sure he was a great guy. I am sure he was all heart out on the field and nobody here should, nor do I think is, disparaging the guys character. He just doesn't cut it in the NFL.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think that woofwoofmo will be back in here to chime in here anymore. Due to all the rather pointed critical posts sent his way on his fondness & like for the former 6 yr Ram player Tim Barnes.

I hope he returns. I like the guy, but it was annoying to get a "different opinion" every time a poster criticized Barnes.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Barnes and the center position was the weakest position on the entire team, i'ts why he was the first player to go.
How many draw plays did the Rams run up the middle? I don't remember even one. They knew from the get go the Rams offense wasn't going anywhere handing off and going up the middle. How many times did we see Gurley fighting a D lineman to get the handoff? Sure made things simpler for the D when they KNEW the Rams weren't going up the middle. I actually felt bad For Barnes that they put him through that.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Barnes just needs PEDs. He's great everywhere else imo, just lacks strength.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Barnes and the center position was the weakest position on the entire team,....
I think left tackle was the weakest position.

His 39 PFF score, confirms what I was seeing.

Flat out, your passing game has zero chance of getting off the ground when your left tackle sucks as bad as Robinson has.

Barnes was at least half assed in both phases and like I said you can't attributed a fumble problem or a penalty problem to him.
Robinson was a penalty machine as well as never letting our quarterback settle into any kind of rhythm mentally or physically.

On another forum I went round and round with a college-level offensive line coach about all of the potential problems of drafting Robinson.
He just kept on going on about how Robinson tested at the combine.
I was much more interested in his lack of experience which to me was just not enough proof that he would succeed at this level.
I also saw a guy that was built more like a Guard.
Coaches always think they can coach up a raw guy which to me is not always true.
You just can't risk that with the number 2 pick in the draft and hope that some guy could work out at such a critical position as Left tackle.
JMO.