Is there an argument to bring Austin Davis back...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm not sure how I feel about this but I thought I'd make the argument:

1) He knows the system (only if we go in-house and keep it).
2) He's shown the ability to improve his game (and regress) In the time he's been with the Ram's he's shown a real spark of ability but has also regressed (last offseason and middle of this year). He's not a static player and there's a possibility that he could continue to elevate his game (small chance and would require a ton of work this offseason).
3) His regression seemed to be mental, the size of the stage and trying to be captain comeback was too much for him (could be worked on?).
3) This draft QB class is so bad outside of the top 2 (and they're no slam dunks) that I'm not sure any of them could beat out Davis. Seriously.
4) He is a spark plug and seemed to fire up the offense with his energy. That's not to overcome his regression mid-year but it is a intangible that helped some.
5) He played the way he played with minimal time getting reps in the system. Remember, with less practices in the offseason, the 3rd and 4th QB in camp and OTAs gets very few reps.

In all reality, I think there's a pretty good chance that Austin will be in camp. We'll take 4 QBs to camp and as long as it's not expensive, I could see last years composition of Bradford, Hill, Davis and rookie. Shame we couldn't hold onto Case Keenum as at least he had some skills (if not a starter).

I am, in no means, in love with this idea... but I'm so pessimistic on the QB draft class and FA options out there at QB that I feel like I have to make the argument for the best hand to be made with a 2-4 pair (Poker reference, anyone?).

Maybe we'll get lucky and Bradford will come back healthy and we hit on a straight. A pretty good hand but not likely and not the best thing out there.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If we're keeping 3 QBs, which I don't think we are, there's an argument that he has more upside than Hill, and if he could get back to his earlier form before he lost his confidence (particularly his meltdown in his last game), he could be good.

That's about it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'd love to see him back, he's a potential starter IMO, given some time and some more coaching. He can learn how to limit turnovers, lots of QB's cough up the ball too much early on.

And lets face it (no I don't wanna debate this) he was essentially a rookie, yeah he was on the practice squad on and off for two years but that doesn't count for much. That's my opinion anyway.

He's accurate and has decent pocket awareness and frankly he can improve with time, at least I think he can.

You don't break Favre's college records because you aren't good.

jjab360

Legend
Why wouldn't we bring him back? He's cheap, young, and has already proven himself as a capable spot starter despite his flaws.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I'd love to see him back, he's a potential starter IMO, given some time and some more coaching. He can learn how to limit turnovers, lots of QB's cough up the ball too much early on.

And lets face it (no I don't wanna debate this) he was essentially a rookie, yeah he was on the practice squad on and off for two years but that doesn't count for much. That's my opinion anyway.

He's accurate and has decent pocket awareness and frankly he can improve with time, at least I think he can.

You don't break Favre's college records because you aren't good.

My problem with that is they'd be right back where they were after the 2nd AZ game

I think/hope they can do better

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I want Davis in camp, but we're in trouble if he emerges as the guy.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
Sure, no reason to let him go, UNLESS, he gets beat out . . . go with the best 3 qbs . .. I think the 2-3rd spot should be between any drafted rookie and Hill and Davis

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Davis before Hill. Sure bring him back. If he can win a spot on roster that's decent ins. But if the Rams are serious about the playoffs they need a better Vet than Hill at #2.
If nothing else Davis proved he' can take a beating and is a team player.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
bring him back as what? sure as hell not the backup. it would be 3rd string again nothing better. why does nobody mention the fact that he throws the ball like a grenade and more than not the 6'3 receivers had to jump sky high for the catch.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Austin Davis is not a consistent or accurate passer. He will make his share if highlight plays, and unfortunately, that's what most fans remember. The problem is, and always will be IMO, his lack of consistently being able to make the routine play. I have seen him for 3 camps now, struggle to complete passes in 7 on 7 drills with no pash rush, yet he still feels the need to "scramble" to keep the play alive.

He will squeeze a throw into a small window, then on his next throw hit a wide open guy 10 yards away in the ankles. This isn't about experience, its about arm strength, and consistent mechanics. It's not a coincidence that he didn't make it out of any of the training camps prior to this year, and let's be honest, if Bradford doesn't go down, he wouldn't have made it out of this past years camp either.

Flashing is a handful of games by making a few highlight plays, then in the same game forcing the ball resulting in crucial "pick 6's" isn't enough to convince me that he should be brought back.

RamWoodie

Legend
Actually I think the case can be made to keep Davis. Many don't seem to realize he was pretty much a rookie...and it showed up at critical times.

I in the line of Marshall Faulk's opinion...I think there's something special about Davis, and I think he learned a lot when he failed under pressure in games this year.

He has a decent arm, good instincts, and he can improvise pretty well. I'm not saying he's starter material, but he's definitely a good 2 or 3 QB for a teams depth!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The reason for keeping Davis, that said, 'he knows the system' may be a moot point unless the Rams bring Schottenheimer back.

I dont see where Davis is any more than a camp arm. If he sticks as the third stringer then that means the front office failed to find a developmental QB.

But if Sam is the starting QB this year then the Rams better have a decent third string option.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
I miss Garrett Gilbert

Not just cause he's a local boy down the street (who now unfortunately plays for the Cheatriots) but because with another year in our system I think he'd be better than any rookie QB we could draft this year, and better than Austin Davis as a 3 rd Option

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I've been done with him for some time now. I still can't watch the fourth quarter in ARZ. It was worse than the Packers debacle in my book.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Unless he puts on a clinic and just explodes into good play I hope he stays down, but I wouldn't be oppose to him being a third guy up.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Bring in 2 free agents who are better than Hill/Davis to compete. Bradford will be starting again imo, so we need stronger insurance with our back-ups.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I miss Garrett Gilbert

Not just cause he's a local boy down the street (who now unfortunately plays for the Cheatriots) but because with another year in our system I think he'd be better than any rookie QB we could draft this year, and better than Austin Davis as a 3 rd Option

Yeah man as I looked through last year's and the year before QBs it irked me the Pats snapped him up and made room for him. He has all the tools and like I have been saying in today's NFL great teams will have a talented development guy on their roster.

Here's hoping they find one in this draft.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
He showed enough to me to bring him back for one more year as the third stringer. I think the Rams should drop Hill as much as I like him, and aggressively go after the best available QB in the first two rounds of the draft. That and address the o-line and I think we have ourselves a team.