Is Sam Bradford an Upgrade Over Nick Foles in Philly? --NBC Sports

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I'd be freaking out if I was a Philly fan. It's hard to get a bead on what that cat's doing. I honestly do think that Bradford is the better passer though, but I wouldn't take the chance on him that Kelly did. That takes huge balls and can backfire hardcore. As for the rest of his offseason moves, he obviously knows the kind of players he wants - and he should because it's his system. But man oh man. If all of these dudes he picked up don't improve his team, that fan base will organize a coup with the quickness.

That'd be a winning situation for the Rams. First, if it doesn't work out the Rams will get a higher 2nd round pick from them. Second, we will get to enjoy more fun fan videos on YouTube. I'm looking forward to it.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Considering that Bradford's skillset fits perfectly with Chip Kelly's offense, of course he's an upgrade over Foles from the Iggles point of view. It's all relative based on scheme, Foles is an upgrade for us based on durability and mechanics better suited in a pro-style offense.

Bradford always looked a little sluggish going into his drop back but EXCELLED from shot gun and in the hurry up. We didn't do that enough, which is something we all stated many times. Remember the Giants faking injuries because they were getting gashed? Yeah, he is an amazing spread/hurry up style QB. Sam is going to do really well. But Bradford was great on boot legs and PA fakes. Foles is better under straight up under C. I do believe Foles has a quicker release, too.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah, I'd be freaking out if I was a Philly fan. It's hard to get a bead on what that cat's doing. I honestly do think that Bradford is the better passer though, but I wouldn't take the chance on him that Kelly did. That takes huge balls and can backfire hardcore. As for the rest of his offseason moves, he obviously knows the kind of players he wants - and he should because it's his system. But man oh man. If all of these dudes he picked up don't improve his team, that fan base will organize a coup with the quickness.

He offloaded A TON of talent that was working well in his system. His issue was the OL and I don't know if they fixed that or not since I don't really follow the Eagles that closely.

I'm not sure how the hell you improve your team by getting rid of the best players/pro bowlers.........

And lets not forget this is the NFL, we know you just don't plug anybody into your "system" and it'll work like it can in college. I think he is going to crash and burn and he strikes me as the kind of guy who will walk away and go back to college for 6-7 mil a year and leave the Eagles in a steaming pile of shit.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
People forget he wasn't all that great even when he was healthy. Elite ability, sure. But it never did translate consistently where it matters on the field.

Could be the talent around him, the OC, or whatever. But I am glad the Rams cut bait.

I don't understand why so many people draw on what he did in college as some kind of indication of what he did in the NFL.

He's played in 49 games and I've yet to see anything other than occasional performances that gave you hope. It's unfortunate that I saw just as much that made me think it was a wasted draft pick and contract. I've seen enough of him to know he is average in almost every important way. And I like Bradford, he's a nice guy.

If you could see into the future back then who would have done this deal.

And I still blame Bulger for all this, and it's Martz' fault Bulger was even the starter. They left residue!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I think Bradford is an upgrade for that system if healthy. I don't really care what happens, it was time for a change and this could be one of those deals that work out for both parties. Rams needed to move on and I think Bradford also needed a change

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And I still blame Bulger for all this
A complete list of things you don't blame on Bulger:

blank_page.jpg

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Is there anyway to just cut and paste my opinions from previous threads?

Short version

Upgrade yes if healthy

Leadership seemed good from teammates responses. Suffered from Bulger syndrome which is not spicing up the dramatics on the field in order for fans to think he is a natural leader. Apparently there is only one way to lead and that's by jumping and shouting a lot.

Eagles happy
Rams happy
Everybody happy

NateTheRam

Rookie
Name
Nathan
I'm a Rams fan no matter what, but if Rams don't make playoffs I'm routing for Sam and the Eagles as my second team.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I REALLY don't see Foles as being our problem. As long as we can block for him and the RB's, our offense will be solid. Maybe it won;t be an "elite" offense, but with our Defense and ST's ... good enough to win more often than not

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I REALLY don't see Foles as being our problem. As long as we can block for him and the RB's, our offense will be solid. Maybe it won;t be an "elite" offense, but with our Defense and ST's ... good enough to win more often than not

If Foles can learn to manage the game, he'll be fine. All things being equal, Sam and Foles both drop back with equal protection, certain receivers working their way open, I think Sam is the better quarterback. I think he can fit the ball through tighter windows than Foles. But Sam was too quick to check down many times. Foles will try and make that play more than Sam would. Question is, did Sam become that kind of quarterback because he didn't trust himself or the receivers? Or was he instructed to play that way? I can see Philly fans getting frustrated with him if he continues that trend there.

I think Foles will probably be instructed to play it safe. Throw it deep on occasion and the worst thing to happen is an overthrow. Take what is given him. And hand the ball off a lot. Do that and we might have something. I think Fisher would be fine with him passing for around 18-20 TD's and 10 INT's. Complete close to 60 percent of his passes. A rating somewhere in the low to mid 80's. If they can run the ball effectively, that kind of approach will win games assuming the defense is all that.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Injury and production aside, I never thought Bradford strength was quick decisions. Seemed to me his quick decisions were check downs.
As for a perfect fit in Philly? I'm not really sure how an offense that favors a mobile QB puts Bradford on any short list.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Overall, Bradford may be more physically talented than Foles. However, Foles seems to be more of a playmaker than Bradford to me. Someone that can better make something out of nothing and not as easy to sack.

Bradford may very well be an upgrade in Philly running some form of hurry up offense similar to what he ran at Oklahoma.

At the same time, Foles is probably an upgrade in St. Louis in a more conservative scheme.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If Foles can learn to manage the game, he'll be fine. All things being equal, Sam and Foles both drop back with equal protection, certain receivers working their way open, I think Sam is the better quarterback. I think he can fit the ball through tighter windows than Foles. But Sam was too quick to check down many times. Foles will try and make that play more than Sam would. Question is, did Sam become that kind of quarterback because he didn't trust himself or the receivers? Or was he instructed to play that way? I can see Philly fans getting frustrated with him if he continues that trend there.

I think Foles will probably be instructed to play it safe. Throw it deep on occasion and the worst thing to happen is an overthrow. Take what is given him. And hand the ball off a lot. Do that and we might have something. I think Fisher would be fine with him passing for around 18-20 TD's and 10 INT's. Complete close to 60 percent of his passes. A rating somewhere in the low to mid 80's. If they can run the ball effectively, that kind of approach will win games assuming the defense is all that.

Foles has a little bit of gunslinger mentality and I've never seen that coached out of a player.

If Foles throws 20 or fewer TD's this team won't reach 500. You have to be able to score through the air in today's game. Obviously the rules changes are the deciding factor, and if a team can't take advantage of the favoritism the passing game has been handed they will lose more than they win.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Foles has a little bit of gunslinger mentality and I've never seen that coached out of a player.

If Foles throws 20 or fewer TD's this team won't reach 500. You have to be able to score through the air in today's game. Obviously the rules changes are the deciding factor, and if a team can't take advantage of the favoritism the passing game has been handed they will lose more than they win.

Russell Wilson only threw 20 TD passes just last year and they should have won the last Super Bowl.

The important thing is to score 'em. Not how you score 'em.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Russell Wilson only threw 20 TD passes just last year and they should have won the last Super Bowl.

I knew someone was going to bring him up. But look back at the last 1-15 years and you will only find a couple of teams that even make the playoffs with that level of production from the QB.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I am way happier with our QB situation than I have been since Bradford was drafted. I mean ... we may not have that one guy with the "potential to be elite" skills but, we do have now 3-4 YOUNG, talented, healthier guys to actually COMPETE to be THE GUY. I really feel we are going to come out Ok in all of this. We are not locked in and committed to anyone guy to be the #1, #2, #3 so they are going to actually compete and perform. Even Foles ... if he wants a new deal, he is going to have to show that he is the guy. He will NOT be protected like Sam was with the draft status and contract cap hit.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I knew someone was going to bring him up. But look back at the last 1-15 years and you will only find a couple of teams that even make the playoffs with that level of production from the QB.

How many of those teams were built upon the concept of building a strong running game and defense? Seattle & Cincinnati did it last year. San Francisco did it with Kaepernick throwing just one more TD (21) the year before.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie

Can't disagree with that. When you have a dominant defense, you can get away with 20 passing TD's. They also had 20 TD's rushing. Throw in a few TD's on defense and special teams along with close to 30 FG's and you get pretty close to 25 points per game.

Many of us feel if our team can average 25 points per game we would be a playoff team. Its not how you drive its how you arrive. We just gotta find a way to score five more points per game. Easier said than done.