Is Cody Wichmann the heir apparent to Rodger Saffold?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The future is bright for the Rams at OG! Cody Wichmann will be our starting right OG & Jamon Brown will be our starting OLG.

To answer den's question that he was pondering on Jamon Brown.....that's easy its the left side den. As for now the movement of Jamon Brown from his natural left side, flipping him to the right cause Jamon some serious issues in his overall play. Paul Boudreau has gotten carried away sometimes with all his flip flopping & Jamon Brown would be one of those times that would make the highlight reels for bad decisions. I am upset with Boudreau. Looks like he will force Brown to start one again on the right side when camp opens up...not good. But it will make Cody Wichmann chances at starting @ ORG that much higher. Cody Wichmann overall starting performance RIGHT OG was better than Saffold, Reynolds, Rhaney & Brown! Now watch Boudreau to flip Wichmann to left and screw him up too.

Inserting Rodger Saffold back in @ starting left OG again means nothing because Saffold has proven over & over & over he can not remain on the field or remain healthy. So any decision of Saffold as a starter ...waste of time. If I am Paul Boudreau Saffold will be my #6 OL'er & main back up to the OLT post. If Robinson does not improve then Saffold must be ready to start @ OLT for Robinson immediately. I want Saffold to get a ton of reps @ OLT in TC & pre season. When Saffold gets injured(he will) then Boudreau can go back with Robinson (who by now has gotten a clue that he must improve or else) or go with Darrell Williams or Battle. Saffold should not be permitted to start @ OG when you have a fine young trio of healthy OG's like Reynolds,Wichmann & Brown.

If cap $$$ tightness is a major issue in 2017 then the release of Saffold will be automatic if Robinson/ Williams & Battle are legit starting OLT's. The resigning of Saffold was a big mistake by Fisher thus far. On the opposite end, the resigning of OG/ORT Garrett Reynolds is priority #1 for the OL.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
2016 Rams Roster Preview: Is Cody Wichmann the Heir Apparent to Rodger Saffold?
By Sean Wilkinson  @Papa_Lurch on Jun 25, 2016, 9:23a

[www.turfshowtimes.com]

485777072.0.jpg

Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
He surprised in 2015. His role might decrease in 2016, but his long term future with the team looks bright.

Cody Wichmann has grown used to being underrated. Coming from a small town in California and after attending Fresno State he has long flown under the radar. After being selected to the All-Mountain West Second Team in his senior year he was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in the 6th round of the 2015 NFL draft.

Once arriving to the Rams, he failed to shed his underdog role - with 3k only giving him a 2.5/10 chance to make the final roster in last season’s roster previews. Never deterred, Wichmann battled his way onto the final roster last year. When injuries rocked the Rams OL in the middle of last season, Wichmann was called on to be the ‘next man up’ and made 7 starts in his rookie year.

Not bad for a rookie drafted in the 6th round.

Roster Battle

As mentioned in Isaiah Battle’s roster preview, the Rams starting 5 on the OL is pretty well set. The primary backup at guard is going to be Garrett Reynolds with Wichmann being the 4th OG on the roster.

Wichmann may face some competition from Demetrius Rhaney and/or Andrew Donnal in camp. His experience in 2015 will likely give him a leg up on those two individuals in camp - and I don’t expect him to relinquish his spot anytime soon.

Reynolds played well in 2015 so his status as the #3 guard is likely safe, but Wichmann would be wise to learn from the 29 year old vet in 2016 as the Rams are unlikely to be able to afford retaining Reynolds past this season.

Expectations

This is where things get interesting for Wichmann. Expectations in 2016 are likely to be low for him. Barring injury or extremely poor play from two of the three guards in front of him, he isn’t likely to see extensive playing time. But moving past 2016, that could rapidly change.

As mentioned above, Reynolds contract is expiring and he may not return. Rodger Saffold’s salary jumps to $6.2M in 2017 while the dead money drops from $7.5M to $2M. Saffold could always renegotiate his contract, but his experience in free agency a few years back indicate he’d likely be unwilling to take a pay cut.

Chances of Making Final Roster (8/10)

Saffold is what he is at this point in his career and the Rams simply can’t afford to count on him to stay healthy. Reynolds is in the final year of his contract and he played well enough in 2015 to earn a raise. One that the Rams may not be able to afford with Trumaine Johnson, Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, Tavon Austin, et al due for extensions in the very near future.

While injuries played a significant role in Wichmann’s playing time in 2016, he has the size (6’5”, 319) Fisher loves in his offensive lineman. 8/10 may seem a bit high, but the rating is just as much to do with his long term future as it does the 2016 season.
Time will tell .. I think it's a "Prove-it-Year" for the entire O-Line! At the very least they all have to step it up a notch or two!!;)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Time will tell .. I think it's a "Prove-it-Year" for the entire O-Line! At the very least they all have to step it up a notch or two!!;)

I concur along with Offensive Line Coaches Paul Boudreau and Andy Dickerson as they were kept on for continuity for the young guys so hopefully, it will be a united and cohesive unit.

…..

Legend
Reynolds is not better than Saffold. Not even close.

Can Saffold stay healthy? Doubt it. But if he is healthy, he'll be starting. Contracts don't determine who is starting or not so I'm pretty confident he will have earned his spot. Reynolds is a great back up and we're lucky to have him.

All the article says to me is that Wichmann got great experience last year. We'll reap those benefits later. I believe the thread title is correct, Wichmann can one day replace Saffold.

The area of most intrigue for me is the development of Isaiah Battle. He's basicly our 5th round pick this year and already has NFL experience, even if only in practice. Does he have the athleticism to start at Tackle? We'll see after a year or so but one thing is for sure, we are in an enviable position that all our rookies from last year have a great deal of experience.

The plan is in mid execution. We should have a stand out offensive line next year and we'll see flashes of it this year.

I don't see Williams, Donnell, Brown or Rhaney as being anything more than depth.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
My thoughts on the Saffold as starter debate...

His ability to stay healthy difficulties are well known.

However...

If his shoulders have indeed been successfully reconstructed, then he just might be okay now. Hope he uses a little more common sense in his extreme lifting regimen of the past.

If healthy, he will start at OG. Preferably at RG. I know, I know. But it's his best position, dammit! Lol.

If Brown is our starter, he should be at LG. Again, his best position.

But if Brown gets beat out as starter, then I would prefer to see Saffold at LG and Wichmann at RG, HIS best position.

BTW, anybody else hoping that Wichmann can shine at C? As a backup, of course. That would be great news and would certainly simplify the OL cutdown decisions.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I , like Boni, have been questioning Paul Boudreau's effectiveness in coaching the OL the past few years. I fear time has passed him by. I get that changing OL coach at this point would be detrimental. These guys are all new to each other and they desperately need continuity. I understand Coach Boo's dealing with injury, but he's still juggling and playing guys out of their comfort positions when he doesn't have to.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I , like Boni, have been questioning Paul Boudreau's effectiveness in coaching the OL the past few years. I fear time has passed him by. I get that changing OL coach at this point would be detrimental. These guys are all new to each other and they desperately need continuity. I understand Coach Boo's dealing with injury, but he's still juggling and playing guys out of their comfort positions when he doesn't have to.

I'm going to come to the defense of Coach "Boo". He's not juggling guys and playing them out of their comfort zones for giggles and grins, he's doing it for one reason and one reason only, to put a veteran presence next to the LT, who understands not only his own assignment but can tell GRob what he's supposed to do. That's why Saffold was at LG, then why Reynolds became the LG, to nursemaid our LT. Having Brown and GRob next to each other last season just wasn't working and to take the pressure off Brown, he was moved to the right side and Reynolds put at LG. There were simply too many blown assignments. Until GRob proves he's capable of understanding his assignments, it's going to continue to be a veteran at LG.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm going to come to the defense of Coach "Boo". He's not juggling guys and playing them out of their comfort zones for giggles and grins, he's doing it for one reason and one reason only, to put a veteran presence next to the LT, who understands not only his own assignment but can tell GRob what he's supposed to do. That's why Saffold was at LG, then why Reynolds became the LG, to nursemaid our LT. Having Brown and GRob next to each other last season just wasn't working and to take the pressure off Brown, he was moved to the right side and Reynolds put at LG. There were simply too many blown assignments. Until GRob proves he's capable of understanding his assignments, it's going to continue to be a veteran at LG.

Excellent point, woof.

Time to take the training wheels off GRob, isn't it? Past time, actually.

And another thing in coach Boo's defense. Last year we had an unheard of number of rookie and 2nd year OL players as starters. Not to mention numerous injury replacements on the fly.

That would be a tall challenge for any OL coach, especially playing against the D's we faced.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I'm going to have to agree. This will all be moot if the OL plays well this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Not sure anymore, he was not playing all that well at LG for the six minutes he was healthy, but if Saffold does prove to be the best guy out there, then fine, but I won't be hold my breath.
That is your opinion. There is no way Roger Saffold does not start , unless he is not healthy. --Jamon Brown might be a different story if Wichmann continues to get better. Reynolds will be gone after this season.He played like crap at RG. LG he did play very well next to G.Rob & Barnes.

Williams v's Battle ??
Andrew Donnal will be in the mixed again. He has a lot of upside.He is a smart player, just needs to bulk up.In fact he will be kept over Reynolds next season.

-The Rams really built there offensive line finally . It great fans can even have this disguisine.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is your opinion. There is no way Roger Saffold does not start , unless he is not healthy. --Jamon Brown might be a different story if Wichmann continues to get better. Reynolds will be gone after this season.He played like crap at RG. LG he did play very well next to G.Rob & Barnes.

Great points, but I did post that Saffold would start if healthy, but I'm not sure that happens and unlike the past I don't believe that Saffold is that much better than the alternatives. I'm not as confident in Donnal like you are, IMO, Williams showcased more, but maybe after a year of strength and conditioning Donnal will improve.

One of the major reasons they drafted Donnal was his versatility, but IMO, he was not very good at LG last year and if he does make the team, his future is at RT and not much else and again IMHO.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap

Williams v's Battle ??
Andrew Donnal will be in the mixed again. He has a lot of upside.He is a smart player, just needs to bulk up.In fact he will be kept over Reynolds next season.

-The Rams really built there offensive line finally . It great fans can even have this disguisine.

You make some good points, but I'd disagree on your assertion that Reynolds played like "crap" at RG. His performance may not have been stellar, but it was far from "crap" and brought some much needed stability when Saffold went down.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You make some good points, but I'd disagree on your assertion that Reynolds played like "crap" at RG. His performance may not have been stellar, but it was far from "crap" and brought some much needed stability when Saffold went down.
They moved Reynolds around a lot . He played RT as well. He did shine last year, & proved to be an excellent FA pick up. His first game at RG against Green Bay was poor.
He settled well at LG & proved to be a solid veteran leader. I'm not sure about his future after this season,because of salary cap.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
They moved Reynolds around a lot . He played RT as well. He did shine last year, & proved to be an excellent FA pick up. His first game at RG against Green Bay was poor.
He settled well at LG & proved to be a solid veteran leader. I'm not sure about his future after this season,because of salary cap.

IMHO, I think it's pretty unfair to call a player's performance "crap" when they go into a game because of injury. Reynolds almost for sure had very few snaps in practice running with the 1's. Who knows he may not have had any snaps at RG. Agree he didn't have a good game, but doing him a disservice by calling his game "crap". By the time the next week rolled around and he had some practice time the performance improved. Amazing how that works that way.(y)

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
The future is bright for the Rams at OG! Cody Wichmann will be our starting right OG & Jamon Brown will be our starting OLG.

To answer den's question that he was pondering on Jamon Brown.....that's easy its the left side den. As for now the movement of Jamon Brown from his natural left side, flipping him to the right cause Jamon some serious issues in his overall play. Paul Boudreau has gotten carried away sometimes with all his flip flopping & Jamon Brown would be one of those times that would make the highlight reels for bad decisions. I am upset with Boudreau. Looks like he will force Brown to start one again on the right side when camp opens up...not good. But it will make Cody Wichmann chances at starting @ ORG that much higher. Cody Wichmann overall starting performance RIGHT OG was better than Saffold, Reynolds, Rhaney & Brown! Now watch Boudreau to flip Wichmann to left and screw him up too.

Inserting Rodger Saffold back in @ starting left OG again means nothing because Saffold has proven over & over & over he can not remain on the field or remain healthy. So any decision of Saffold as a starter ...waste of time. If I am Paul Boudreau Saffold will be my #6 OL'er & main back up to the OLT post. If Robinson does not improve then Saffold must be ready to start @ OLT for Robinson immediately. I want Saffold to get a ton of reps @ OLT in TC & pre season. When Saffold gets injured(he will) then Boudreau can go back with Robinson (who by now has gotten a clue that he must improve or else) or go with Darrell Williams or Battle. Saffold should not be permitted to start @ OG when you have a fine young trio of healthy OG's like Reynolds,Wichmann & Brown.

If cap $$$ tightness is a major issue in 2017 then the release of Saffold will be automatic if Robinson/ Williams & Battle are legit starting OLT's. The resigning of Saffold was a big mistake by Fisher thus far. On the opposite end, the resigning of OG/ORT Garrett Reynolds is priority #1 for the OL.

Saffold -

giphy.gif
:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
IMHO, I think it's pretty unfair to call a player's performance "crap" when they go into a game because of injury. Reynolds almost for sure had very few snaps in practice running with the 1's. Who knows he may not have had any snaps at RG. Agree he didn't have a good game, but doing him a disservice by calling his game "crap". By the time the next week rolled around and he had some practice time the performance improved. Amazing how that works that way.(y)

Yeah at the Qb's expense. Foles played scared after that hit he took from Clay Matthews !! He took a couple of them. Reynolds did end up settling down & is a very solid run blocker. His pass blocking is what is in question.
Andrew Donnel was a different story last season. How does he start over Wichmann at any point ??

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah at the Qb's expense. Foles played scared after that hit he took from Clay Matthews !! He took a couple of them. Reynolds did end up settling down & is a very solid run blocker. His pass blocking is what is in question.
Andrew Donnel was a different story last season. How does he start over Wichmann at any point ??

As SO Ram pointed out it was Garrett Reynolds pass blocking while filling in @ RIGHT OT where he had some really big whiffs & just got beaten more than he should have. Andrew Donnal has a serious up hell battle in TC & pre season to make this 53 player roster. First he has history of injury concerns. Second he was not able to hold up under the point of attack in the run game at any time. His play @ both OG posts was at best weak. His best position is @ Right OT & should be beat out by Darrell Williams & even maybe Battle.

My 2015 overall performance rating on Reynolds is much higher than most. Could be because I was extremely surprised with his down the stretch play @ OLG. Issue is Garrett Reynolds had starts & many finishes @ ORT & ORG too. His play @ those other two positions was not close to his play @ OLG. For what ever reason GR had the biggest impact on GRob play. It appears GR could be an very good STARTING LEFT OG. Another area I happen to see often was his natural direction & leadership going on the entire time GR was on the field. GR seemed to really get into a grove with our center Tim Barnes. That seemed to help Barnes too. GR need to be our starting OLG this season!

It obvious for all I place much more value to this Ram team on Reynolds than I do Saffold & as I have in the past more over & over proved that Saffold under no circumstances can be depended on to stay on the field & perform effectively for any period of time. It would be another very big mistake to let GR walk off after this season & keep Saffold. GR will be a better playing starting LEFT OG than Saffold based on one element alone he will remain on the field & play.

…..

Legend

He doesn't. My only memory of him last year was getting run the hell over. He has a long way to go, only makes the squad on future hopes, not current abilities.

…..

Legend
As SO Ram pointed out it was Garrett Reynolds pass blocking while filling in @ RIGHT OT where he had some really big whiffs & just got beaten more than he should have. Andrew Donnal has a serious up hell battle in TC & pre season to make this 53 player roster. First he has history of injury concerns. Second he was not able to hold up under the point of attack in the run game at any time. His play @ both OG posts was at best weak. His best position is @ Right OT & should be beat out by Darrell Williams & even maybe Battle.

My 2015 overall performance rating on Reynolds is much higher than most. Could be because I was extremely surprised with his down the stretch play @ OLG. Issue is Garrett Reynolds had starts & many finishes @ ORT & ORG too. His play @ those other two positions was not close to his play @ OLG. For what ever reason GR had the biggest impact on GRob play. It appears GR could be an very good STARTING LEFT OG. Another area I happen to see often was his natural direction & leadership going on the entire time GR was on the field. GR seemed to really get into a grove with our center Tim Barnes. That seemed to help Barnes too. GR need to be our starting OLG this season!

It obvious for all I place much more value to this Ram team on Reynolds than I do Saffold & as I have in the past more over & over proved that Saffold under no circumstances can be depended on to stay on the field & perform effectively for any period of time. It would be another very big mistake to let GR walk off after this season & keep Saffold. GR will be a better playing starting LEFT OG than Saffold based on one element alone he will remain on the field & play.

I'll need to see more before I can agree with you about Reynolds. Your post makes a lot of assumptions about who settled who and helped who with regards to last season.

My opinion is that Saffold is the best lineman on the team, regardless of position and that Reynolds is his capable back up. You seem to be saying that doesn't matter because he cant stay healthy, to which the only logical answer is that this is a new season and he isn't hurt yet.

Haventstein
Brown/Wichmann
Barnes
Saffold
Robinson

That will be our starting line up. Reynolds has huge value in his versatility as a swing backup, and will be the equivalent of the NBA's 6th man. Battle should unseat Donnel as reserve ORT and in fact, its already listed that way on the official depth chart.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Fair enough. You make excellent points . G Rob quoting of Saffold being banged up , maybe is a concern. I'm still in believe Saffold will be healthy & J. Brown will show a great deal of improvement this year.
The Rams training camp being at UCI is pretty cool in my book. Remember going to 30 years ago to try & watch practice.
I'll get some personnel in site then,now it just from a little views from game day last season.