Is Cody Wichmann the heir apparent to Rodger Saffold?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
2016 Rams Roster Preview: Is Cody Wichmann the Heir Apparent to Rodger Saffold?
By Sean Wilkinson  @Papa_Lurch on Jun 25, 2016, 9:23a

[www.turfshowtimes.com]

485777072.0.jpg

Photo by Dilip Vishwanat/Getty Images
He surprised in 2015. His role might decrease in 2016, but his long term future with the team looks bright.

Cody Wichmann has grown used to being underrated. Coming from a small town in California and after attending Fresno State he has long flown under the radar. After being selected to the All-Mountain West Second Team in his senior year he was drafted by the Los Angeles Rams in the 6th round of the 2015 NFL draft.

Once arriving to the Rams, he failed to shed his underdog role - with 3k only giving him a 2.5/10 chance to make the final roster in last season’s roster previews. Never deterred, Wichmann battled his way onto the final roster last year. When injuries rocked the Rams OL in the middle of last season, Wichmann was called on to be the ‘next man up’ and made 7 starts in his rookie year.

Not bad for a rookie drafted in the 6th round.

Roster Battle

As mentioned in Isaiah Battle’s roster preview, the Rams starting 5 on the OL is pretty well set. The primary backup at guard is going to be Garrett Reynolds with Wichmann being the 4th OG on the roster.

Wichmann may face some competition from Demetrius Rhaney and/or Andrew Donnal in camp. His experience in 2015 will likely give him a leg up on those two individuals in camp - and I don’t expect him to relinquish his spot anytime soon.

Reynolds played well in 2015 so his status as the #3 guard is likely safe, but Wichmann would be wise to learn from the 29 year old vet in 2016 as the Rams are unlikely to be able to afford retaining Reynolds past this season.

Expectations

This is where things get interesting for Wichmann. Expectations in 2016 are likely to be low for him. Barring injury or extremely poor play from two of the three guards in front of him, he isn’t likely to see extensive playing time. But moving past 2016, that could rapidly change.

As mentioned above, Reynolds contract is expiring and he may not return. Rodger Saffold’s salary jumps to $6.2M in 2017 while the dead money drops from $7.5M to $2M. Saffold could always renegotiate his contract, but his experience in free agency a few years back indicate he’d likely be unwilling to take a pay cut.

Chances of Making Final Roster (8/10)

Saffold is what he is at this point in his career and the Rams simply can’t afford to count on him to stay healthy. Reynolds is in the final year of his contract and he played well enough in 2015 to earn a raise. One that the Rams may not be able to afford with Trumaine Johnson, Michael Brockers, Aaron Donald, Tavon Austin, et al due for extensions in the very near future.

While injuries played a significant role in Wichmann’s playing time in 2016, he has the size (6’5”, 319) Fisher loves in his offensive lineman. 8/10 may seem a bit high, but the rating is just as much to do with his long term future as it does the 2016 season.

Last edited:

HellRam

Starter
I'd like to see Wichmann get a real chance at starting this year. It appears the Rams like Saffold and Brown starting at Guard, as of now. But imo I really thought Reynolds and Wichmann were the more effective starters especially when they got in the groove of things.

Then have Saffold as your back up LT, Guard anywhere really he's damn near played every position on the line. This also keeps him healthy and ready to go.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd like to see Wichmann get a real chance at starting this year. It appears the Rams like Saffold and Brown starting at Guard, as of now. But imo I really thought Reynolds and Wichmann were the more effective starters especially when they got in the groove of things.

I feel Saffold is on a short lease, if he cannot answer the bell from an injury standpoint, then cut him. Reynolds was an improvement over Saffold at LG and IMO Darrell Williams offers more upside as a back-up to LT and in fact, might even push starter Greg Robinson if the light does not come on for GROB.

Saffold needs to prove durability and IMO the reason Brown has the edge over Wichmann is due to getting better push in the running game, but Wichmann is better at pass blocking IMHO.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Right now after watching Wichmann get better as he gained experience I would have him ahead of Brown. Brown looked very good in the prseason but he was below average during the year before he got hurt. If Saffold can stay healthy, big IF, he is our best guard.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I honestly would rather cut Saffold and start Reynolds with Whichmann backing him up, well really rather have brown backing him up since he is more familiar with the left side. Regardless, Reynolds was a very pleasant surprise last year and I think he surprised us all with how well he did. The rams have been somewhat bad when it comes to bringing in FA O-linemen, but Reynolds was the exception. Saffold just plays ok, gets hurt, plays ok, gets hurt, plays ok, gets hurt, etc. He is a waste of money really. He is the highest paid on our o-line but hasnt proved he deserves it. With him gone our o-line is very cheap, and actually quite good, especially when it comes to a cost/production ratio. Would be even better with no Saffold.

HellRam

Starter
I feel Saffold is on a short lease, if he cannot answer the bell from an injury standpoint, then cut him. Reynolds was an improvement over Saffold at LG and IMO Darrell Williams offers more upside as a back-up to LT and in fact, might even push starter Greg Robinson if the light does not come on for GROB.

Saffold needs to prove durability and IMO the reason Brown has the edge over Wichmann is due to getting better push in the running game, but Wichmann is better at pass blocking IMHO.

This is the reason I see Saffold more valuable off the bench, they are already on the book for his salary this year to my knowledge. So when he is cut doesn't matter as much now. Other then roster spots. We both agree Reynolds is better, I also think Whichmann is better as well.

These guys are young and if they keep improving I see no reason to start Saffold just for the sake of starting him. I'm really hoping Whichmann and Brown that take step foward.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I thought Brown was decent. He has tons of potential and is a big dude with good feet. But I always think you should start your best 5 guys on the line no matter where they were drafted.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I think your wrong on most accounts.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
This is the reason I see Saffold more valuable off the bench, they are already on the book for his salary this year to my knowledge. So when he is cut doesn't matter as much now. Other then roster spots. We both agree Reynolds is better, I also think Whichmann is better as well.

These guys are young and if they keep improving I see no reason to start Saffold just for the sake of starting him. I'm really hoping Whichmann and Brown that take step foward.

I have a feeling that when Saffold gets injured this year he will have seen his last starting gig with the Rams.
Not wishing injury on him ,but we all know it's going to happen.He's already banged up and their not even in pads.

MauiRam

Rookie
Perhaps you might enlighten us, elaborate as to why you perceive DTC to be "wrong on most accounts".

MauiRam

Rookie
I get that you think he is wrong, I am simply asking you to explain your opinion specifically, as to why you think he is wrong.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

Agree with this. For being so highly touted after the draft, Jamon was a bit of a disappointment as far as I remember. I know he was a rook, but even his run blocking looked suspect to me at times. Hopefully he comes back stronger this year.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Agree with this. For being so highly touted after the draft, Jamon was a bit of a disappointment as far as I remember. I know he was a rook, but even his run blocking looked suspect to me at times. Hopefully he comes back stronger this year.

IMO part issue with Brown was he started on the right side, then they moved him to left. Not sure what he's more comfortable with, he played on the left side in college, however, continuity is important for the rookies, but I really feel the future of the offensive line is Brown at LG and Wichmann at RG.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMHO, Saffold is still our best lineman.......

Not sure anymore, he was not playing all that well at LG for the six minutes he was healthy, but if Saffold does prove to be the best guy out there, then fine, but I won't be hold my breath.

fearsomefour

Legend
Just have an open battle and don't worry about draft position or money....easy for me to say.
Brown was the worst of the G's in my opinion last year. Reynolds was probably the best/most consistent.
Based on play in season last year, Reynolds and Wichmann....but, its a new year.