Is Chip Kelly on the way out?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...eagles-are-sick-of-each-other-could-part-ways

Are the Eagles and Chip Kelly heading for a divorce?
By Jared Dubin | Staff Writer

chip-worry.jpg

Could Chip Kelly leave Philly this offseason? (USATSI)

When losses are piling on top of each other and frustrations are mounting, there are going to be rumors that the head coach is not long for town, especially when the city where those losses are piling and frustrations are mounting is Philadelphia.

So it was not especially surprising when ESPN's Adam Schefter went on Sirius XM NFL Radio on Tuesday and declared of Chip Kelly and the Eagles that "the momentum and signs seem to be piling up against a Chip return to Philadelphia" and added, "I think both sides are sick of each other."

"Chip Kelly, if given a choice, might be comfortable elsewhere," Schefter said.

This tracks with what CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora said earlier this season when the Eagles dropped to 0-3. La Canfora indicated that a big-time college job could be the thing to lure Chip away:

The losses are already mounting, and even in the pedestrian NFC East this team seems headed in the wrong direction, with the Eagles now 0-2 in their division and 0-3 in the conference. And the chatter will only continue that, say, if a head coaching change is executed in Austin, Texas, or some other big-time NCAA program that might just be the siren song to lure Kelly away if things continue down this path in Philadelphia.

The Texas job hasn't opened up, but Southern California did (and Dennis Dodd put Chip No. 1 on his list of 10 potential candidates), and so did Miami. More college jobs will open up and some non-Philly NFL jobs probably will, too.

Would Kelly really jump at the chance to leave just one season after being given control of personnel decisions and not really having let his experiment truly play out? Who knows? We can't read the man's thoughts. What we do know, though, is that if Kelly does leave at the end of the season, there will be a rush from a lot of people to call his tenure in the NFL a "failure."

Is that fair and true on some level? Sure. He would have left the NFL not having won a Super Bowl (assuming a big turnaround this season isn't in the cards), having lasted only three years in the job, and having spent only one offseason in charge of personnel. And that one offseason was one in which he made a widely panned series of moves that didn't entirely work out. On that level, he would have failed.

(A bunch of the guys he cut aren't exactly lighting it up elsewhere, either; it's not as though Evan Mathis, Todd Herremans, Trent Cole and Cary Williams are making him look silly for moving on, and LeSean McCoy has been productive on the field but has also been in and out of the lineup and appears to have lost a half step or more.)

But he also had some degree of success. Kelly went 10-6 in each of his first two seasons, though only one of those two teams made the playoffs. He turned offenses quarterbacked by Nick Foles and Mark Sanchez, for the most part, into efficient, explosive units for the better part of two years. Considering the talent level of those two players, that's pretty impressive.

Surprisingly, more defensive players than offensive players on the roster saw their play blossom under Kelly: Fletcher Cox, Vinny Curry, Mychal Kendricks, Brandon Graham, Bennie Logan and more have all seen their level of play rise over the past three seasons. Kelly isn't "in charge" of the defense the same way he is the offense, but the head coach is still "in charge" of everything.

Are those major, franchise-changing successes? No. But they are successes, and if the Kelly era ends after this season, we shouldn't pretend they didn't happen.

Of course, this is all academic. Kelly has maintained multiple times that he's not going anywhere. If he sticks around beyond the end of this season, there's more than enough time left to change the story.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
haha fuck it call it a twisted imagination but I'd love to see what a chip kelly run offense in St. Louis would do with Gurley and Tavon and minimizing everything Foles does wrong. it's a long list that he knew about all along. but a bet he would make a spark somewhere. as a Rams fan I have a lot of time to ponder the "if only" daydreams

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
It would be a bad idea for the Eagles franchise just like it would be for the Rams. Continuity and building a real long term plan is the way to go. Where was Bilicheat before he got Brady. How many years was Pittsburgh a winner without a good QB and consistent coaching? Raiders, when were they good? What was the difference in GSOT Marshall or Kurt? Would they have continued greatness with patience and Vermeil?

How many places has Norv Turner been in the last 20? Chow? That guy in Dallas was the Rams HC

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
haha freak it call it a twisted imagination but I'd love to see what a chip kelly run offense in St. Louis would do with Gurley and Tavon and minimizing everything Foles does wrong. it's a long list that he knew about all along. but a bet he would make a spark somewhere. as a Rams fan I have a lot of time to ponder the "if only" daydreams

He is like any other coach. Give him a good QB and he is in the playoffs every year. Without one he is Joe Schmo.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
He should probably head back to college football where he can have the biggest impact and escape the scrutiny he is currently under in the NFL.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
It would be a bad idea for the Eagles franchise just like it would be for the Rams. Continuity and building a real long term plan is the way to go. Where was Bilicheat before he got Brady. How many years was Pittsburgh a winner without a good QB and consistent coaching? Raiders, when were they good? What was the difference in GSOT Marshall or Kurt? Would they have continued greatness with patience and Vermeil?

How many places has Norv Turner been in the last 20? Chow? That guy in Dallas was the Rams HC

Felt the exact same way the day Spags was fired, yes the on field product and results was awful, but won't someone please think of the "long term plan".

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron

Vermeil had the Eagles in the playoffs by year three of rebuild, and that was without a first rounder until 3 years after he took over. Bill had gotten the Browns to 11-5 with Vinny Testaverde and Mark Rypien as his field generals, then Art decided he was going to fuck the Browns in the mouth and they never recovered from basically being told that wasn't good enough and they were gone anyways. The Raiders are as big of a show in the opposite direction as it can get, the fact that they had to stay with Al Davis as owner/GM is what destroyed them so thoroughly after the game of football left him behind.

Bill Cowher had the Steelers as perennial winners by year 1 long before Roethlisburger showed up, Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart and many more played better games for Cowher than they did for anybody else in their career.

Patience sometimes is a virtue, but lets not act like these guys were anywhere struggling nearly as much as Fisher is struggling as a Ram.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Vermeil had the Eagles in the playoffs by year three of rebuild, and that was without a first rounder until 3 years after he took over. Bill had gotten the Browns to 11-5 with Vinny Testaverde and Mark Rypien as his field generals, then Art decided he was going to freak the Browns in the mouth and they never recovered from basically being told that wasn't good enough and they were gone anyways. The Raiders are as big of a show in the opposite direction as it can get, the fact that they had to stay with Al Davis as owner/GM is what destroyed them so thoroughly after the game of football left him behind.

Bill Cowher had the Steelers as perennial winners by year 1 long before Roethlisburger showed up, Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart and many more played better games for Cowher than they did for anybody else in their career.

Patience sometimes is a virtue, but lets not act like these guys were anywhere struggling nearly as much as Fisher is struggling as a Ram.
I don't know much about those teams but I will bet they did not have the same level of shit the Rams had when Fisher started nor did they have the number of injuries and some may have only had a 12 game season as well as full training camps.

Say what you want about Fisher I remember how bad this team has been for the last decade before he got here. With a healthy Bradford this team would have been in the playoffs the last two years, he would still be our QB and this team would be a perennial contender.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
They're talking about it on Mike & Mike right now, saying he's lost the team. Article on ESPN...

REPORT: AGENT SAYS KELLEY HAS LOST HIS TEAM
i

The Eagles are trapped in a losing season, and some players are reportedly not happy with their coach Chip Kelley. An anonymous agent told NJ Advance Media: "Chip Kelly has lost the team. Between the losses and his bull---- methods that aren't working, I can tell you that the players have tuned him out."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
They're talking about it on Mike & Mike right now, saying he's lost the team. Article on ESPN...

REPORT: AGENT SAYS KELLEY HAS LOST HIS TEAM
i

The Eagles are trapped in a losing season, and some players are reportedly not happy with their coach Chip Kelley. An anonymous agent told NJ Advance Media: "Chip Kelly has lost the team. Between the losses and his bull---- methods that aren't working, I can tell you that the players have tuned him out."
Oops! Anyone see a " Fire Sale" coming this Off-Season!?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
That's what happens when you believe your own hype. You can't get rid of all the talent that helped your system work.....and then EXPECT your system to work.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's what happens when you believe your own hype. You can't get rid of all the talent that helped your system work.....and then EXPECT your system to work.
I don't know if he bought into the hype, or not..I think he brought the arrogance with him. He was/is like Martz was in a way after a Super Bowl win. He believed that conventional wisdom didn't apply to him...He was smarter than everyone in the room, and that players are interchangable cogs in his machine, and easily replaced The system is all.....Events have pulled the curtain aside, and the Great Wizard of Philly, is just a little man,...

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Hopefully the Eagles struggle the rest of the way, pushing their 2nd round pick ever higher.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
That's the most logical to me.

Not a shot in Hell. Not that teams wouldn't want him, but that he goes that route....Some college will pay him huge dollars. No reason to take the lower pay and less power of an OC position when you can be "the man" at a major college program.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
You mean, like Nick Foles?

If you pick out Foles, let's include Sanchez, Bradford et., al...I guess it's fair to blame all of the world's ills on Foles, I just think there might be a little more shit involved...And I'm the first one to say he's been awful...

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA

Gotta disagree, it is rather obvious that long term plan, at least at the NFL level, is not Chips strength. Maybe if you just kept him as coach that would be fine, but Chip has control over personnel (contracts) and like most coaches you get into that part of running an organization poor decisions are made. His offseason moves this year were beyond bad, and honestly he doesn't seem like the sort to either lose power or admit mistake and learn for the future. (honestly this is an area I believe JF has delved too deep into - I tend to think the Foles contract extension and Cooks contracts were do to his heavy influence)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you pick out Foles, let's include Sanchez, Bradford et., al...I guess it's fair to blame all of the world's ills on Foles, I just think there might be a little more crap involved...And I'm the first one to say he's been awful...
I think you must have quoted me by mistake....

Kelly made the playoffs in his first year, with Nick Foles as his QB.