Inside the minds of the NFL’s six new coaches which gives insight into the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/29/...ermott-anthony-lynn-vance-joseph-doug-marrone

Inside the Minds of the NFL’s Six New Coaches
Understanding their football philosophies gives insight into the draft
By Andy Benoit

sean-mcvay-200-200.png

The best thing about the NFL draft is that it forces honesty. In the decisions they make, coaches and GMs tell us what they really think about their players and how they really feel the game should be approached.

This year, six teams will make decisions with new head coaches. Aside from Doug Marrone in Jacksonville, they’re all first-time head coaches. Here’s an overview of each man’s core beliefs and how it will impact his team’s draft.

Sean McVay
Los Angeles Rams

As an offensive designer, McVay relies heavily on geometry, especially through the air. Many of his pass designs involve multiple routes working together to exploit a predicted defensive coverage. He tries to regulate those coverages with his receiver spacing and distribution.

He’ll figure out what a defensive coordinator calls versus specific formations in certain down and distances, and he’ll align his receivers in places that compromise those calls. This can be very nuanced. For example, there’s a big difference between a receiver lining up, say, 12 yards from the sideline versus 10 yards from the sideline. Where receivers align in relation to each other is also huge, as is presnap motion.

With this sort of approach, you need a variety of different styles of receivers. As the offensive coordinator in Washington, McVay had a true speedster in DeSean Jackson, an inside possession receiver in Pierre Garçon, a shifty slot weapon in Jamison Crowder and a mismatch-making tight end in Jordan Reed.

The skill sets of all four players complemented each other. The Rams’ receiving corps is decidedly less diverse. (And less talented.) Ex-Bill Robert Woods is essentially Garçon minus some strength and Crowder minus some quickness.

Tavon Austin looks like a slot receiver but isn’t patient enough to play there. The rest of the receiving corps is comprised of backups. To run McVay’s scheme, the Rams need several new wideouts.

(Click link above to read the rest)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Tavon Austin looks like a slot receiver but isn’t patient enough to play there. The rest of the receiving corps is comprised of backups. To run McVay’s scheme, the Rams need several new wideouts.
This is an opinion I do not share!

Limey

Rookie
Still hard to know what he has got with Higbee, Cooper, Thomas, Spruce etc given their low number of NFL snaps and the shitty offensive scheme those snaps were in. He may need a new cast of targets or he may already have all he needs. Probably somewhere in between.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Yeah, we could use some receiver help... but it isnt Tavons lack of patience that has kept him from being a difference maker from the slot.
Its been the Rams lack of ability to field an even semi-affective offense...

...... and its been that way for a fricken decade.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Like Benoit said in the opening paragraph the draft will give more insight to what Rams think of their current cast of characters at WR and TE. Based on tape I've watched of the Skins offense Benoit is spot on in his evaluation of McVay's scheme. Therefore, IMO there will be several additions probably earlier than later in the draft. Guys like Higbee and Cooper could be contributors, but we don't know. Even if those guys are contributors McVay stated "you can never have enough play makers in almost all of his interviews". Their presence shouldn't stop a new coach who is calling plays from handpicking guys that fit his system and potentially adding guys who are more talented.

I am not of the opinion of simply blaming the coaches for all of the offensive struggles. Everyone can agree the coaches deserve alot of blame, but when you are 32nd in offense 2 years in a row and one of the worst scoring offenses of the last 10 years there is more to it than that.

When several WR efficiency metrics place Tavon's 2016 as one of the worst since the inception of that metric there is more there than coaching failure. For example, football outsiders has charted WR efficiency since 1987. Tavon was the least efficient WR in 2015 and followed that up with a 2016 season where he was the second least efficient WR in the history of the metric. On a more positive note almost every metric grades him positively as a runner, which is as evident as his lack of receiving chops on film.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Like Benoit said in the opening paragraph the draft will give more insight to what Rams think of their current cast of characters at WR and TE. Based on tape I've watched of the Skins offense Benoit is spot on in his evaluation of McVay's scheme. Therefore, IMO there will be several additions probably earlier than later in the draft. Guys like Higbee and Cooper could be contributors, but we don't know. Even if those guys are contributors McVay stated "you can never have enough play makers in almost all of his interviews". Their presence shouldn't stop a new coach who is calling plays from handpicking guys that fit his system and potentially adding guys who are more talented.

I am not of the opinion of simply blaming the coaches for all of the offensive struggles. Everyone can agree the coaches deserve alot of blame, but when you are 32nd in offense 2 years in a row and one of the worst scoring offenses of the last 10 years there is more to it than that.
Really liked your post...To your point, look at this
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/02/...oordinator-head-coach-kirk-cousins-jay-gruden
“It didn’t matter where Sean came from, how old he was—the dude knew it better than anyone else,” says Cooley. “He was the best.

“I remember, in the first week that he took over, I was finally being coached intricately on some of the things that go into the tight end position. He taught every tiny nuance. I wish I would’ve gotten to work with him a lot longer. I loved all the coaches that I played for. I absolutely did. But I would’ve been better if I had worked with Sean for my entire career. I have no doubt about that.”
This stands out. It makes me take a pause. I kinda feel Snead & Demoff have finally hit a homerun.
As to your other opinion about the wrs...and the types of players, playmakers...he seems to prefer a nice blend.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/06/02/washington-redskins-wide-receivers-offense-nfl
On paper, Washington boasts one of the most exciting groups of offensive playmakers in football for the first time in decades. The 2015 season saw the emergence of tight end Jordan Reed (87 catches, 952 yards, 11 touchdowns) and wide receiver Jamison Crowder, who in his first season out of Duke broke Art Monk’s team rookie record for receptions with 59 catches for 604 yards from the slot. Adding first-round rookie Josh Doctson out of TCU to a group that also includes 29-year-olds Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson was a head-scratcher to some, given Washington’s needs on defense.
I thought Doctson was the best wr in the draft last year. I liked Mike Thomas too...not that one...the Saints guy.
He grew up around TO...Jeff Garcia, 9ers of Montana & Rice..He played wr in college. Option QB in high school. Coached TE's...The guy bleeds offensive sets...and is imaginative & innovative. Young enough to take opinions from valued staff members. I'll say it again...I really like the Yarber hiring. I can't see these guys grabbing a wr in the 2nd unless they really believe that there's a 1st round talent that slipped.