In general, the NFL is obtuse regarding loss of attendance...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Moostache

Rookie
This will likely be seen as focusing on the Rams situation, but I am going to rant about the state of professional football and the "amenities culture" that has taken over the gameday experience and the league in general.

I grew up outside of Chicago in the 1970's and 1980's. My father regularly took me to Bears games in the original Soldier Field - often in horrific weather conditions (especially a December game against the New England Patriots where the wind chill off of Lake Michigan was -20 to -25 throughout the game, and we had seats on the west side of the stadium - essentially taking the brunt of the wind directly in the face for 3 hours). The stands were packed and the patrons were sandwiched together in less than enough space for their bodies let alone leg room or "stretching out" space. But the loss of this kind of stadium - through the constant remodelling and replacing of iconic venues and relocations of iconic franchises killed that version of the NFL gameday experience...and it is killing the league as surely as sitting in a room full of Carbon Monoxide would kill a person before they even knew they were dying.

The old time stadiums that I grew up with and attending - Soldier Field, Comiskey Park (the original), Notre Dame Stadium (the 59,000 seat version) - they all had one thing in common and that was the focus of the "experience" was 2-fold. First and foremost it was the game being played in that venue on that day. The obvious exception was Comiskey Park's exploding scoreboard and fireworks...but that was an add on from Charlie Finley and not the design of the stadium. There were very little distractions or "revenue opportunities per patron square foot" considerations. Stadiums were where you went to actually experience a game and a camaraderie with other fans. At its best, that is still the ultimate draw to an NFL stadium.

Second, the idea of being packed into a confined space in bad weather and sitting on top on the guy next to you for 3 hours brought a real passion to the games and the home crowd created a palatable energy that was fed back to the home team. This has not (yet) been extinguished from the NFL, but as the LA drama continues and the proposals for relocation begin to quantify the desires of owners, it is clear that despite any feelings for which team should or will play where, the focus of any new stadiums - whether in Minnesota or Atlanta or L.A. or wherever the next one goes - is no longer on enhancing what made the NFL great, but rather on trying to make the stadium experience more like the at-home viewing experience. THAT is what will kill the NFL in 20 years time (or at least force it into a contraction period that takes the league down from 32 to 24 or even 16 teams).

I fully expect people to think this is a crazy idea....that the NFL, the "we are shooting for $25BILLION in annual revenue" NFL would find itself in financial trouble so dire...but Mark Cuban was right, the league itself is mismanaged and misaligned with its own history now. That is a recipe for disaster in ANY business, but in one that caters to the entertainment whims of an increasingly over-entertained and over-whelmed consumer base, it is doom.

Put bluntly, I went to a Rams game this season (against the Browns), had great seats even in a cavern like the Ed, but the gameday experience could not hold a candle to the games I attended as a kid. My kids loved the event and the spectacle of the stadium and the tailgating, but the overall impact was gone in the car on the way home. They are not "fans" the way I was or my dad was. They did not feel a connection to the game and the players the way we did. When I was a kid, I spent hours reading books about old time NFL games and the descriptions of Packers-Cowboys or Bears-Giants NFL title games and the impact of the weather on the outcomes. My kids look up YouTube highlights of touchdown dances.

The play on the field that day this year was actually not bad...the Rams D shined and the team won and Gurley broke a few big runs...which was very comparable to my experiences in the late 70's when Payton was the entire Bear offense and the D was the attraction (we're talking in the days of Fencik and Doug Plank as head-hunting wildmen....Plank being the same player whose #46 inspired Buddy Ryan to name his defensive scheme the 46-defense). The Bears back then were mired in the same kind of organizational malaise on the W-L records as the current day Rams, but the experience of being AT THE GAME instead of watching in the living room at home was 180-degrees different and it was SUPPOSED TO BE!

Fans do not go to NFL games for the retail or revenue generating reasons that owners love to look at. Luxury boxes are corporate gifts and show-off events and nothing more, never were and never will be anything but... The larger point though is that players today and fans today do not interact in the same passionate way that grew the NFL from a national joke on its inception (a "professional" football league? back then NO ONE cared) to the international titan it became. A tree that has lost its roots, no matter how tall or mighty on the outside is rotting and dying on the inside. The modern NFL - obsessed with building sterile marketing palaces like the Jones Dome and the LA proposals - is focusing on the wrong things and is signing its own death certificate in the process. The key to drawing in new fans, fans that care passionately about teams and the game beyond their team alone, is NOT making the stadium experience more like home with more electronics and bigger seats (to house our bigger asses) and more ad space.

Many will ridicule this (and maybe even rightfully so) as someone who is being overly naive about the business end of sports. Fair enough...but the thing is professional sports in general, but specifically professional football were not built on being something they are not. Football at its highest level is the ultimate team game and when the stadium experience focused more on the game and making the people in the stadium more a part of that (rather than allowing them to be part of the internet or fantasy football world while occupying space in the building or stands) the sport was healthier. The revenue streams and P&L sheets for the ownership may have been less extravagant of course, but the passion and the captivation of the human spirit and imagination were greater.

I'll close with just this...the most revered stadium in the NFL is NOT AT&T Stadium or the 3/4 empty Santa Clara stadium for the Rams and Niners last Sunday. It is Lambeau Field and the oldest stadium in the league (which admittedly did add amenities in the last decade, but retained the soul of the stadium in the process).

Bigger, flashier and newer are not always what is best for the overall league. The owners would do well to remember that as the league moves ever onward...

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Cool read
but it's like saying my dad and I used to drive around in a 78 Ford Torino station wagon with no A/C or seat belts and you really got that "experience" of driving and feeling the road and the brutal conditions, and you lose that when you drive a 2015 Toyota mini van

My experience was in Anaheim so the stadium sucked - I am jealous you have those cool memories. I would just appreciate them more

rams2050

Starter
What a wonderful, cogent post. I concur with everything you just wrote. I wish some publication, somewhere, would be bold enough to reprint your thoughts in their entirety because they certainly are worthy of a much wider audience.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
This is the natural evolution of a pastime evolving from something that only the die-hard experience to something that a larger base of interested folks can experience. Also a natural evolution of something that in the era you're describing had to compete only with small CRT televisions with, what, four channels? Which now must compete with hundreds of channels, on-demand content, video games, the Internet, and - possibly most importantly - the ability to enjoy the competition and strategy of football on a sixty-inch 1080p television from a comfortable seat with better, cheaper beer and food.

Are fans as hardcore as those who sat in zero-degree weather crammed between other fans? Probably not. But that's never going to appeal to enough people for the NFL to continue being the entertainment juggernaut it is. Hell, I love football, but anymore I'd much rather sit at home with my friends watching it, eating great snacks or pizza, drinking local craft brews, pissing when I want, and saving possibly hundreds of dollars in the process. The experience may not be as hardcore, but I contend that it's head and shoulders better.

Edit to make this more on point: This is what the live experience has to contend with. If it comes down to a '70's style stadium vs. the amenities of home, the choice is pretty obvious to the vast majority of people, I think. So if you can get amenities in the stadium, lowering the level of discomfort experienced, raising the bar for what you get to experience on game day, that's going to bring more people out of their living rooms and man caves to a stadium that meets the modern expectations of comfort and convenience.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Interesting read. Well done.

The NFL feels like the tech bubble of the 90's. How big can things get before there is trouble?

That said... I'm not buying into the doom and gloom, or shrinking league, years down the road... But I do see troubles... One stadium ups another, and another... At what point is enough, enough? The need to generate money is becoming more important than the sport?

The stadium culture has been changed over the years, no question. Some people buy PSL's as a status symbol. Not that they are not good fans, but the cost of attending games has definitely shifted to the wealthy.

I've attended games where I've been asked to "sit down". Looked at strangely for shouting too loud. I experienced this sitting in expensive seats surrounded by people who paid a lot to sit there. It was like a tea party, or something... And average Joe was not invited.

I was reading somewhere, that the trend could shift to smaller stadiums. A more intimate experience to trump the convienence of staying at home.

I dunno.

It's frustrating to see the league so focused on money, though.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Smaller stadiums might increase the experience but that would mean tickets are harder to get. Which would also drive up the price. That would make it harder for lower middle income families to enjoy the experience. Of course, thats probably why TV is so lucrative. There's money to made everywhere in the sport.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Excellent post, and I think it illustrates how the owners have lost touch with the average fan. They are also in denial regarding the in-stadium experience vs. the home experience with a large, HDTV. In most cases, I'd much rather sit in my living room and watch on the big screen and drink reasonably priced beers than go to the stadium, pay ridiculous prices for tickets, overprice Lite Beer, not to mention get screwed on parking, etc. etc. etc.

The emphasis on nice stadiums is ridiculous. Although it's been a long time, I've been to a few Texas Longhorn games here in Austin, and the stadium is nothing remotely close to a pro stadium, and yet that made no difference. It was the product on the field that counted. If people care more about stadium amenities than the football played on the field, the NFL is going to have big problems going forward.

Moostache

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's frustrating to see the league so focused on money, though.

That focus on money itself, how to squeeze more of out of the golden goose, while completely ignoring the basic elements that made the league a money-maker in the first place is a path to destruction. The league should be more concerned with the erosion of attendance than they are. I get the feeling that since TV ratings are enormous and the revenue from that stream alone makes the current league profitable, that they are going to ignore the issue until its too late.
Then again...might just be me officially yelling at the kids to get off my lawn too! :mrburnsevil:

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
I loved the post. But you are trying to compare apples w/ aardvacks. I remember those old days. We had 3 TV channels (a fourth if the weather was good....) and publications ruled the ways we received updates. But these days choices have given birth to different concepts. Our satelite systems give us more TV channels than we would even use. And now the Internet allows us to voice our biggest thrill or displeasure. Even our maxxed out TV systems are challenged w/ what the "online" expirience grants us. Our kids have way too many choices to fall into or glam onto and about half of those scares the hell out of us. (The other half we're not overly thrilled w/ either......).
But what you've stated are the right questions. The league needs to see what they can do for the fans.....not which team's fans can buy the most merchandise. It's all about the mighty dollar, (to them) but they want to use that desire to spend as a comparision of what fans used to be. I was truly heartbroken yesterday when I read some of the "petition" for relocation. Kroenke really doesn't care about the team or which city he is in. It's all just a money grab to him. But yet the NFL pretends it's business as usual. And I guess for them, it is. Let's make the biggest pile of money we can off of this thing fans really want.
We want a team. That works (in our mind) as hard as we work for them. We want them to believe, as we have and want things to go further than......"a FG and a TD more and we would be in the playoffs.............". We want them to be mad about missing things, so the following week.....you won't. But unfortunately, those days don't exist anymore. We don't have any proud warriors that illicit strong tales about how they played a super bowl and a championship game....w/ a broken leg. Now we have guys putting themselves on IR because free agency is going to be in their future and they can't risk it. While it's still a game this whole focal point is about. It's no longer the game we grew up with.
Thanks Moostache for giving us more to think about. And thanks for everyone's patience to allow me to add to it.........

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
  1. Nothing like the tail-gating.....Man, todays tailgate party is an experience in itself.....
  2. NFL makes money on TV deals....everything else is extra...merchandise, concessions, parking,and tickets...luxury boxes are for bigwigs to show off....food is special tho
  3. I had to look up obtuse...I thought that was an angle or something.... @Moostache great read bro

Ozoneranger

Rookie
Minus 25 degrees?

That sounds lethal. No thank you. Of course, I was born and bred in California, which makes me a weather wimp.

Quite frankly, after enduring decades of Candlestick Park, I welcome the new venues. Just not the obscene prices of everything from tickets to beers to parking. That will be the NFL's problem going forward. The league needs the middle class to survive, not the 1%.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
I love it. Great stuff. It's interesting to point out that Kroenke and others like him feel the complete opposite in talking about their new palaces. If it's not at least $1.5 billion, then it's junk. It's football, not a fashion show. Attendance across the NFL is dropping yet the top 80 out of 100 sports programs in terms of rating last year were NFL games. As the experience at home gets better, and the one at the stadium continues to go away from traditional football, you'll continue to see attendance drop.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I was reading somewhere, that the trend could shift to smaller stadiums. A more intimate experience to trump the convienence of staying at home.
I think this SHOULD be the trend. I remember going to RFK stadium and watching some of the most memorable Redskins games of the 80's. THAT was a cool experience for sure, but I am not sure it was because of how intimate the stadium was (we were always in the lower bowl and that sucker would ROCK like an earthquake when the crowd go into it) or because I was young and impressionable.

Personally, I now much prefer watching football in the comfort of my own home. In the rare event that I do take in a game at the stadium, I am usually disappointed. I went to the Rams / Ravens game this year in Baltimore, and while the stadium was nice, and the site lines were excellent, we still found ourselves inside at the club level bars for much of the game. It didn't help that is was windy, and that the product on the field sucked ass, but still.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Nice Read!! It reminded me of going to games, in the '50's, '60's, and '70's, Ah Yes!! the open air, in the Rain, at the Old L.A. Coliseum, watching the Rams Play on real grass! "The Mud, the Blood, and Cheap Beer!! The GOOD OLD DAYS!!!!":D:D:D:D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The NFL doesn't even count attendance any more it counts tickets distributed. If it counted the people that actually showed up at games the numbers would be a lot different. Majorly worse for some teams in particular.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I loved the post. But you are trying to compare apples w/ aardvacks. I remember those old days. We had 3 TV channels (a fourth if the weather was good....) and publications ruled the ways we received updates.

THIS.

On a cold Sunday back in the day, of the 3 TV stations you could get, 2 had pro football on. And one of you had to hold the TV antenna in place so you got good reception.

Neither of those experiences would fly today. I have (had) a hard enough time getting my prissy kids (ages 11-21) to watch NFL football on TV. The sports of my generation in many ways just don't have the appeal, esp with so many other choices that don't involve freezing your butt off or watching a grainy picture.

I'm as old school as the next guy. I've watched more than a few games in person at Vet's stadium in Philly on beyond frigid days, and kinda regretted it after. Cold concrete building, cheap plastic chairs, watery hot chocolate. No thanks. I'll take a warm dome and cold beer any day, thank you very much. :cheers:

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
The way the price of tickets and merchandise is skyrocketing, the owners are truly alienating the fanbase (comprised mostly of middle-class Americans) that made the NFL what it is today. Too much emphasis on style and little substance while trying to appeal to these corporate schmucks as well as relying on an obscene amount of ads to generate revenue. If the prices keep going up or the middle-class continues to diminish, the NFL will likely destroy itself in the near future. The NFL ought to adapt some aspects of Bundesliga's business model

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the late 90s, the NFL really exploded with popularity. Fantasy football took the NFL from being grouped with the other major sports, to getting put in it's own discussion.

It was cool hearing your memories but......I disagree with a lot of what you said regarding the future of the NFL. The NFL is trending up. Exponential growth. Fans of the NFL due to fantasy football will probably soon outnumber us "hardcore" NFL fans.

The NFL and the teams have accepted this. So they put new amenities and all kinds of cool stuff in the stadiums because nowadays, people multi task. Constantly. To get the most out of having the Sunday ticket, we watch three games simultaneously. When the Rams aren't on, I flip through on one of the TVs, and it's like we're watching all the games at once.

But even after that....I've been to two Rams games this year, and even though both were losses, those experiences were more fun and memorable to me than any sitting in front of my TV.