If you were going to play Robinson exclusively at Guard

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Would you still take him #2 overall?

Just saw Gene Upshaw on Top 100 what a beast!! Any chance Robinson could become that guy? Do the Rams have enough other pieces to leave him inside for his entire career?

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Just saw Gene Upshaw on Top 100 what a beast!! Any chance Robinson could become that guy? Do the Rams have enough other pieces to leave him inside for his entire career?

Very interesting question. Personally I say no, I would only draft him 2 overall if they believe he can eventually be a dominant LT

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

This is a good question, and even I , maybe his biggest fan here, would say no. I think he's too talented to play Guard alone. I think we would waste value. In the very least, I think he could be the best RT in the NFL in a couple years.

Would I like him to be a Guard on our team, hells yes, but not if picked at #2 overall. I'm a value guy.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
With his size and speed I could see him pulling and leading like Upshaw and just destroying Sherman or which ever LB got in his way. I would love watching the Rams have a running game that could dominate games for years to come. 40 runs a game and 25 passes mostly play action off that dominate run game and a bad ass defense. OOOHHH YEAH!!!!!!!

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
With his size and speed I could see him pulling and leading like Upshaw and just destroying Sherman or which ever LB got in his way. I would love watching the Rams have a running game that could dominate games for years to come. 40 runs a game and 25 passes mostly play action off that dominate run game and a bad ass defense. OOOHHH YEAH!!!!!!!
I have no doubts that he could/would destroy guys in the running game. Him and Saffold as Guards, with Bradford's play action, who could stop us, as long as we shore up our defense, and don't turn the ball over?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't want Robinson at 2. I think his pass blocking is too untested at OLT and he could end up permanently at Guard. Take him after 5. I think the media is over hyping him and NFL people don't think he is the second best player on the board like suggested. I also think that teams are higher on Matthews than people think. Lewan is being overrated by the talking heads too.

V3

Hall of Fame
I don't want Robinson at 2. I think his pass blocking is too untested at OLT and he could end up permanently at Guard. Take him after 5. I think the media is over hyping him and NFL people don't think he is the second best player on the board like suggested. I also think that teams are higher on Matthews than people think. Lewan is being overrated by the talking heads too.

Lewan's feet look clumsy to me. I also question his hand usage and how upright he looks. I'm wondering if he's a RT.

Alan

Legend
DR RAM qualifying his love:
This is a good question, and even I , maybe his biggest fan here, would say no. I think he's too talented to play Guard alone. I think we would waste value. In the very least, I think he could be the best RT in the NFL in a couple years.

Would I like him to be a Guard on our team, hells yes, but not if picked at #2 overall. I'm a value guy.
I agree with that DR. My yes was because while we might draft him as a guard this year, where he eventually plays would be the result of circumstances, needs and and Bou's preferences.

RamsFan14

Starter
I would draft Robinson with the mindset he's going to be our EVENTUAL LT. We have Jake Long for at least 3 more years and I think we can get out of his contract fairly easily (don't take my word for it tho). Draft Robinson, have him play LG for a year or two (with reps at LT so he can learn the position slowly), then have him replace Long at LT one day. That sounds like a great plan to me because having Robinson at guard could REALLY help this offense take off. Once we moved Saffold to RG, running lanes were really opening up for Stacy, which can also make life easier for Bradford. Having a great running game can lead to manageable passing downs and it'll really help with play-action passes! Robinson at guard would be amazing honestly, he'll run people over with his physical presence!

OR... We draft Robinson to be our LT now and move Long to LG. I think Long could be a great LG with his strength and quick hands, and it might keep him from getting hurt(???) I say that because it seemed Saffold stayed healthy playing RG as opposed to the tackle positions, but that could be huge coincidence.

Really liking the idea of taking Robinson honestly, helps with the running game big time in a division that's extremely physical, and he I'm sure he can develop into a good pass blocker with his talent. He's a physical player who can be groomed to be a LT.

RFIP

If he does not project out as a pass protector then I do not want him PERIOD.

And right now that his is biggest draw back.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Other pieces to leave him inside his entire career? Unknown.

I hope that he'd eventually move out to OT, but if the organization believed that he was Larry Allen Part Deux, I'd hope that the Rams would select him, even if it's #2 overall. With Saffold and Robinson at guard, Stacy could look more like Emmitt Smith instead of averaging only 3.8 or 3.9 ypc.

So many are harping on the wideouts, but if this team can get a full time back up to 4.5-5.0 yards per carry with a physical rushing attack, that would help the offense and team more than any WR, IMO.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. Mainly because I wouldn't take him at #2 even with the expectation he'll play LT. But I'd certainly take him top 5-10. It wouldn't change where I'd draft him is what I'm saying.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What if the Rams could somehow pull off a miracle and get both Robinson and Matthews? I have no idea how that could happen but in one mock I saw Matthews dropping to #9. How would that look long term for the Oline?

Long/Matthews
Robinson
Jones/Barnes
Saffold
Barksdale/Matthews

Alan

Legend
blackbart putting all his eggs in one basket:
What if the Rams could somehow pull off a miracle and get both Robinson and Matthews? I have no idea how that could happen but in one mock I saw Matthews dropping to #9. How would that look long term for the Oline?

Long/Matthews
Robinson
Jones/Barnes
Saffold
Barksdale/Matthews
I'm a huge advocate of beefing up the O-line that signing two OTs in the first round is too much of our resources allocated to that area. I know that the Whiners used two first for that purpose but they were much lower picks and they didn't have as many other holes to fill. I would like to get a guard or G/OT in the 2nd (if we wind up with 2 second round picks) or 3rd round.

fearsomefour

Legend

If I am choosing at 2 there are only three guys I am interested in that high; Clowney, Matthews,Watkins.
If I really believed Robinson was gonna be Upshaw (maybe he can) I would take him. I would take a HOF player at 2 almost regardless of position.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Robinson is a man mountain. At guard he would a flat out beast. But at right tackle he'd get some shove aswell! People are down on his pass pro skills but he's not really had a chance to hone them yet. Auburn didn't pass the football. Period. He'll improve as he gains experience and coaching at the next level. If he starts to play with technique and leverage, and bends at the knee more instead of the waist then he'll be unstoppable with those quick feet, long arms and raw strength. Has he got it in him to improve himself that much? Are bad habits ingrained? Or is it just a lack of experience? Don't know. That's why the scouts and coaches get big bucks I suppose.

Robinson is a man mountain. At guard he would a flat out beast. But at right tackle he'd get some shove aswell! People are down on his pass pro skills but he's not really had a chance to hone them yet. Auburn didn't pass the football. Period. He'll improve as he gains experience and coaching at the next level. If he starts to play with technique and leverage, and bends at the knee more instead of the waist then he'll be unstoppable with those quick feet, long arms and raw strength. Has he got it in him to improve himself that much? Are bad habits ingrained? Or is it just a lack of experience? Don't know. That's why the scouts and coaches get big bucks I suppose.

They passed it here:

Sorry, any excuse to watch that play again needs to be taken :D