If Mariota drops to Pick 10 Then?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This. I'd take Mariota unless Philly is willing to offer something like:
Foles
2nd(or 3rd)
2016 1st

I agree with this because Mariota hasn't proven anything and QBs bust all of the time. He has some good traits but he isn't regarded as an Andrew Luck type of talent. In the Kelly offense he usually is a one read QB and he likes to run. That is two things that won't work with the Rams or any Pro style offense.

Foles has his limitations but like west Coast said, Foles has proven in the past to be able to get the job done.

So I would gamble that the Eagles 2016 first round pick could be pretty high because teams seem to have made up some ground against their offense and it will only get worse for Chip Kelly next year.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah, people thought Foles was all kind of exposed this year - and he was, to a degree - but his oline was hurt and that killed their running game which was dominate the year before. That took away a lot of play-action stuff and single coverage this year making his job a ton harder, he was getting hit left and right with that now crappy oline and his fundamentals totally broke down in terms of feet, etc (Kelly even said so).

He'd actually be great competition for Sam. Fully healthy, I think Sams the better QB but not by a ton. He's definitely a guy who can win a game or two for you during the year as long as you have the running game doing the majority of the work.

WestCoastRam

Legend
That being said, I'd hate to pick Mariota at 1 or 2 but he's really tempting at 10 because: 1) There's a 50% shot that he could sit behind a successful Bradford and 2) Fisher might play him the 1st year if he has to but Fisher has the stones to wait on a rookie and seems to err towards not starting them right away.

It sounds to me like Mariota's got the work ethic to be good, he's just gonna need a lot of seasoning. I pity the team that takes him early and plays him right from the start, I feel like that could ruin him.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he makes it past 9 other teams and / or no other team trades up for him I'm passing. There has to be a flaw that causes him to drop.
460879246_219504026.jpg

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Thank god we didn't use this logic with Aaron Donald
They have always said that nobody likes a very short stubby smaller thing that goes off quick.......thank goodness someone saw the great value in such things if its put in the right position @ the right time;).

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It depends on why he drops, but if it's a case similar to that of Teddy Bridgewater's fall last year (which was ridiculous), I take him and say thank you very much.

Just more proof that teams make some pretty dumb decisions.

Still can't believe they dropped the kid because he had a bad Pro Day, was thin, and didn't have a cannon for an arm. The film was so obvious. There are only two QBs I've evaluated since I started that I think were more impressive on film.(Luck and Bradford)

Sometimes, teams are just baffling.

And don't even get me started on Lovie starting McCown over Glennon...

WestCoastRam

Legend
Can anyone see Mariota getting past the Jets if some combo of the Bucs and Titans don't take him?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can anyone see Mariota getting past the Jets if some combo of the Bucs and Titans don't take him?

The Titans aren't taking a QB at #2. I'd put money down on it...that's how confident I am.

iced

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9385/marcus-mariota

ESPN's Adam Schefter says there's a "real sense" Tampa Bay has its sights set on Oregon QB Marcus Mariota at No. 1 overall.

Schefter concedes that "many NFL executives and scouts believe Florida State's Jameis Winston is the best pro quarterback prospect in this draft." But perhaps the Bucs and new OC Dirk Koetter see things differently, placing more stock in Mariota's mobility and clean off-field resume. More likely, there's just a lot of speculation out there right now with the draft still three months away. We're skeptical the Bucs have come close to making up their mind yet.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't wait if I'm Fisher/Snead. This team has talent all over the place, and with the right FA pickups (particularly on the offensive line), I think we should trade whatever it takes to get Winston - and then watch this team finally take off.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Thank god we didn't use this logic with Aaron Donald
It's not the same logic.
Donald is a stud. and will be a great player for years. But there were other really good DT's in the draft that could have been taken later on

Mariota falling to the Rams, getting passed over by teams drafting ahead of the Rams that need a QB much more than the Rams and other teams not trading up for him or calling the Rams looking for a trade isn't maybe a good sign.

He's the last legit QB option in this draft. He's it. No more. Hundley may be a coin flip but after that it's just wishful thinking.
So unlike Donald there's no more very good ones to take later.

So yeah, wouldn't you question why he's still on the board.

BTW some scouts had Donald as BPA in the draft.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
The difference though is that no one was talking about Rodgers not deserving the #1 overall pick. San Fran needed a QB, then no one else really needed a 1st round QB until the Packers got a value pick on Favre's successor.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So yeah, wouldn't you question why he's still on the board.

Nope. That's the point of having your own scouting department.

I'd trust my evaluation of him.

Other teams can be stupid.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The difference though is that no one was talking about Rodgers not deserving the #1 overall pick. San Fran needed a QB, then no one else really needed a 1st round QB until the Packers got a value pick on Favre's successor.
Yeah, its a good thing the Rams didnt waste a pick on Rodgers, going with that "sure thing" in Alex Barron.... Ugh....