If humans were wiped out, which species would dominate?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Rats, big ugly freaking rats.
Did you know rats can chew through lead pipe?!
If people vanished and no one was around to keep the rat population down they'd go crazy.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Well, if things can evolve, wouldn't we humans cycle back around? I'd definitely vote on cockroaches and fire ants though. Microwaves don't bother them too much. Mosquitoes seem to have been around for quite awhile also. Right now in south Georgia, love bugs might get a few votes.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
"Johnny, do you know a word that starts with the letter "R"?
"yes, oh yes! A word that starts with "R" is RATS!"
"whew" the teacher thinks to herself, and happy that Dirty Little Johnny didn't come up with a swear word.
johnny blurts out: "Yes, teacher,RATS, BIG FUCKING RATS...and with GREAT BIG COCKS!"

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hate rats. Kill em all

Except for the pet fancy rats. My brother has two of them (both female), and they're quite harmless and surprisingly affectionate.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Seriously - Rams fans. What other species could survive like we do?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
And to try and get back on topic here...

Someone already mentioned dolphins being self aware. There are several other animals that are also self aware (my parrot being one),,, but octopuses are extraordinarily self aware. Their ability to camouflage their body to mimic their surroundings or even mimic other animals is really unmatched in the animal kingdom.

They are watching us,,, AND,,, they make themselves invisible while they do. They can't be trusted!
There is something that research on the treatment of depression and anxiety have found (specifically a type of psychotherapy called ACT). It's odd that it sort of grew out of this body of reasearch. Anyway, what the research was about how human beings thinking influences their mood. Well as the research came out, the investigators starting coming up with an idea called "metacognition" and a theory called "relational frame theory". Since this, more and more evidence is pointing to this being something very real and something that has made our species so ridiculously good at learning and understanding, and by extension, thriving.

Relational frame theory is very, very complicated and I really only understand a little bit of it, but it basically discusses how humans can learn so much more efficiently than any other species. Basically because we have such complicated language we can actually describe scenarios that we can learn and then predict something from. This is how it grew out of depression and anxiety research. For instance, I don't like flying in planes. I always avoided it. But, I never flew on a plane, so why should I be so anxious? It's because I could imagine a scenario where I'm in a plane and the plane goes down, and I die. I never actually experienced this so I should not be anxious about it. This is extremely useful.

In the evolution of humans we could tell others that if you're looking over the Safari grass lands and you see the grass move in a specific spot to run, it might be a lion coming to eat you. We can understand this scenario and can envision it before it happens. So when we do encounter a possible lion we run. This allowed us to survive. But even more it allowed us to pass on very, very complicated ideas to other people from how to drive a car to the theory of relativity. In other words we can think about thoughts and ideas. There is only one two other animals that have been shown to do this: a bonobo (type of ape) and a sea lion. I used the word "a", just two organisms outside of humans (and yes dolphins were tested).

To make a long story short, if humans get wiped out and another species comes to dominate like we do, I'd put my money that it comes out of the apes, perhaps a bonobo.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
My first fear is rats and my second fear is that fish that swims up the peehole. That fish already dominates.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Cockroaches and Cher.

wiugd1.jpg

Hahaha thanks for the laugh.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
No joke... The octopus would be my guess as well. They are crazy intelligent, many people don't realize this. They can solve complex problems and manipulate their environment.

My local fish store (aquarium) carries very exotic fish. A few years back the owner had a octopus in a show tank. He'd put a piece of food in a glass jar with a lid screwed on tight into the tank... that octopus learned how to open the lid a get the food almost immediately.

Then the little freaker decided that he wasn't getting enough food for his liking. The owner of the shop thought that he had an employee stealing some very expensive fish because they were somehow disappearing. So he put in some cameras. He couldn't believe it when he watched the tapes one morning and saw what was happening. The octopus was strong enough to escape from his escape proof tank. This octopus would actually climb out of his tank and climb into the other tanks in the store... sometimes crawling a good distance along the floor and then up a cabinet in order to get to other tanks. Unbelievable. Then he'd eat the fish in their tank be very sneaky about it, and then he would crawl back to his own tank and break back into it so nobody would suspect him. Insane.

The owner got rid of the octopus soon after. Hahahaha

For the record,,, I'm doing my part to stop the octopus take over. I love to eat octopus. Used to eat fresh ones that I caught back in Hawaii all the time... no days I order a crap load of it at my local sushi restaurant. It's one of my absolute favorite foods.

They're watching us... don't freaking trust em.

You've got to be kidding me!? That's insane.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
"Johnny, do you know a word that starts with the letter "R"?
"yes, oh yes! A word that starts with "R" is RATS!"
"whew" the teacher thinks to herself, and happy that Dirty Little Johnny didn't come up with a swear word.
johnny blurts out: "Yes, teacher,RATS, BIG freaking RATS...and with GREAT BIG COCKS!"
:ROFLMAO:I remember seeing the movie this Quote came from, but can't remember the name of it!?:ROFLMAO: