If humans were wiped out, which species would dominate?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Alligators / Crocodiles. They've been around since dinosaurs, and could easily evolve into the next batch of dinosaurs over millions of years. What say you, ROD?

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-official-trailer.gif

dawn-of-the-planet-of-the-apes-07.gif

nBhuXPk.gif

king-kong-2005-30-g.jpg

movie-king-kong-2005-wallpaper_1061x600.jpg

bluecoconuts

Legend
Dolphins, they're probably the second smartest species, without humans, they likely have the leg up to evolve furthest.

lasvegasrams

Rookie
Dolphins would dominate the sea. The only thing is to dominate, the thumb is crucial in evolution to be able to create. Many scientists believe our cognititve thought came thanks to a series of events all starting with the thumb.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Dolphins, they're probably the second smartest species, without humans, they likely have the leg up to evolve furthest.

I like Dolphins, they are very smart, but they would need to evolve ways to control their environment, i.e. appendages which they lost. Who knows, over 20 million years that could happen. But to be a dominant species like humans are, not having brute strength and size of say a dinosaur, then you need to be able to control your environment. That starts with physically controlling what is around you-being able to manipulate objects.

Long story short, if humans were wiped out, my next bet would be another primate, maybe a chimpanzee.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Surely it would be apes of some sort. They'd possibly evolve into some sort of proto-human species again given time and the right conditions.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Roaches. They are about the only species that could survive the aftermath of human life.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The octopus. Without a doubt, it's the octopus. All hail the new octopi overlords!

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Humanoid Extraterrestrial Life
I've given this a lot of thought. I for one am not going to die when everyone else does because I have my bunker ready for whatever comes. I do believe that a humanoid extraterrestrial life form will be making contact in the near future. Fortunately for us, we live on the Western Hemisphere, except for those of us that don't, and obviously the aliens are going to visit China first because of the Great Wall that they can see from space. They will at first come in peace but will quickly realize that the vast majority of humans are douche bags and will be forced to wipe us out. Of course they are going to start the eradication of mankind in the east and move westward. I expect to have a solid week or two to make any necessary modifications to my bunker and plan on burrowing until I am capable of building a space craft to get of this rock.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Dolphins would dominate the sea. The only thing is to dominate, the thumb is crucial in evolution to be able to create. Many scientists believe our cognititve thought came thanks to a series of events all starting with the thumb.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
If humans are gone, I'm going to assume the rest of the mammals went with them.

Barring AI being the reason humans are gone, I'll go with ants or bees.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The octopus. Without a doubt, it's the octopus. All hail the new octopi overlords!

No joke... The octopus would be my guess as well. They are crazy intelligent, many people don't realize this. They can solve complex problems and manipulate their environment.

My local fish store (aquarium) carries very exotic fish. A few years back the owner had a octopus in a show tank. He'd put a piece of food in a glass jar with a lid screwed on tight into the tank... that octopus learned how to open the lid a get the food almost immediately.

Then the little fucker decided that he wasn't getting enough food for his liking. The owner of the shop thought that he had an employee stealing some very expensive fish because they were somehow disappearing. So he put in some cameras. He couldn't believe it when he watched the tapes one morning and saw what was happening. The octopus was strong enough to escape from his escape proof tank. This octopus would actually climb out of his tank and climb into the other tanks in the store... sometimes crawling a good distance along the floor and then up a cabinet in order to get to other tanks. Unbelievable. Then he'd eat the fish in their tank be very sneaky about it, and then he would crawl back to his own tank and break back into it so nobody would suspect him. Insane.

The owner got rid of the octopus soon after. Hahahaha

For the record,,, I'm doing my part to stop the octopus take over. I love to eat octopus. Used to eat fresh ones that I caught back in Hawaii all the time... no days I order a shit load of it at my local sushi restaurant. It's one of my absolute favorite foods.

They're watching us... don't fucking trust em.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I like Dolphins, they are very smart, but they would need to evolve ways to control their environment, i.e. appendages which they lost. Who knows, over 20 million years that could happen. But to be a dominant species like humans are, not having brute strength and size of say a dinosaur, then you need to be able to control your environment. That starts with physically controlling what is around you-being able to manipulate objects.

Long story short, if humans were wiped out, my next bet would be another primate, maybe a chimpanzee.

In limited ways they could, they could likely evolve hands, they have the necessary bones already, even fingers. The main reason why I figure them is that the brain is typically the harder thing to evolve, and since Dolphins already are self aware, have languages and pass complex ideas to each other, they have a huge advantage over other life forms.

Then again they may decide its better to swim and be happy their entire lives than replace us, so who knows.