I'd like to see Donald play some LDE in AZ

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In the familiarity that AZ and LA rosters have with one another, one thing AZ is not used to is Donald on the edge. And tbh I think putting him out there at LDE on key passing downs might be a thing that the staff starts doing, because he's demonstrated the speed and agility you want for the contain and also I seriously doubt there's a RT in this league that can stone him play to play in space.

Not going to go so far as to say that he'd be better served in this current defense at LDE. But I think he could do much more than a good job out there, and check out this DL:

LDE: Donald
LDT: Easely
RDT: Brock
RDE: Quinn

Now vs Arizona in particular you want him matching up inside vs the interior of that line, as their center Shipley is the weak link and their interior of their line is a mismatch vs Donald and Brock. But Brock and Easely should also do quite well in there on some of those obvious passing downs, while Donald terrorizes the RT.

IMO that would really put the Cards OL on their heels in this one.

TexasRam

Legend
Personally, I don't want Donald at DE. I love him in the middle blowing up the pocket.

Right under center is also the quickest way to the QB.

I also don't want Brockers in there on passing downs. He is great at stuffing the run but not a good pass rusher. Nor does he have the quickness to chase a QB down like our other guys.

DE Hayes
DT Donald
DT Easley
DE Quinn

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I think it is a great idea to switch it up and put Donald out there periodically. I think it was done against Tampa more because of injury/ejection realities, but the one play I saw him out there he put the RT on roller skates straight back to Jameis.
How did Easley do against Tampa, for those of you who notice line stuff more than I ?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
With the questions about Evan Mathis I'd rather keep him at DT and let Jim abuse a backup. The man is the most disruptive DT in the game. No need to mess with that.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Easley has easily (pun intended) been the Rams best FA signing. He's filled in nicely. Quicker than Fairley and is counted on by GW in the DL rotation. Cam Thomas has also done a good job so far filling in for Brockers.

Rams DL is in good shape. They need to draft a sack artist to complement Quinn in 2017.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I woke up thinking this same exact thread. NOt all the time at LDE, but maybe 12-15 snaps a game with Easley at DT. Donald is a great run stopper, too, and fast enough to get off blocks on the edge so we can stuff the middle and rely on him on the edge....on a few key pitches a game. He looked incredible screaming off the edge.

I agree with bubba ram it is time to draft a DE; maybe someone who is pass rushing linebacker in college who could be situational for us (or not)..;)

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
With the questions about Evan Mathis I'd rather keep him at DT and let Jim abuse a backup. The man is the most disruptive DT in the game. No need to mess with that.
Is Mathis out???....I didn't see him at RG in the BUffalo game.....that is huge...he is a mauler.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Is Mathis out???....I didn't see him at RG in the BUffalo game.....that is huge...he is a mauler.
He was inactive last week and is day to day with a sprained foot or toe I've read both are the cause so not sure exactly what the issue is. That and he's already complaining about his contract with the Cards.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In the familiarity that AZ and LA rosters have with one another, one thing AZ is not used to is Donald on the edge. And tbh I think putting him out there at LDE on key passing downs might be a thing that the staff starts doing, because he's demonstrated the speed and agility you want for the contain and also I seriously doubt there's a RT in this league that can stone him play to play in space.

Not going to go so far as to say that he'd be better served in this current defense at LDE. But I think he could do much more than a good job out there, and check out this DL:

LDE: Donald
LDT: Easely
RDT: Brock
RDE: Quinn

Now vs Arizona in particular you want him matching up inside vs the interior of that line, as their center Shipley is the weak link and their interior of their line is a mismatch vs Donald and Brock. But Brock and Easely should also do quite well in there on some of those obvious passing downs, while Donald terrorizes the RT.

IMO that would really put the Cards OL on their heels in this one.
Well .. you could get your wish. Fisher has said that they want to move Donald around a little! But IDK what that might mean!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well .. you could get your wish. Fisher has said that they want to move Donald around a little! But IDK what that might mean!

I think it means snot bubbles are in Carson Palmer's immediate future!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I disagree, I think his best position is in the middle. I don't mind moving him around a little to throw people off balance, but he is a DT and will make plays from that position.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I disagree, I think his best position is in the middle. I don't mind moving him around a little to throw people off balance, but he is a DT and will make plays from that position.
You may very well be right, But wherever Donald is you know they're going to be looking out for him!!:snicker::shades:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
DT all day...the pressure up the middle is just as important, if not more so, than pressure off the edges...Take away the lanes to step up in the pocket...
Quinn-Hayes-Donald-Westbrooks/Longacre......

And I haven't seen Cam Thomas do anything but look tall and severely out of shape...was getting blown back on that goalline stuff vs the Bucs...

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Easley has easily (pun intended) been the Rams best FA signing. He's filled in nicely. Quicker than Fairley and is counted on by GW in the DL rotation. Cam Thomas has also done a good job so far filling in for Brockers.

Rams DL is in good shape. They need to draft a sack artist to complement Quinn in 2017.
Not sure if I agree...maybe in 2018, but our #1priority is getting Goff more toys along with secondary help.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Carson Palmer makes a ton of short & dink throws in the middle of the field & maybe AD may work better on the outside for this game with Hayes hurting & let the well loved over 6-6 long armed Eugene Sims work the inside playing real close attention along with the over 6-5 Brockers to Carson Palmer low throws threw the middle? Brockers can not extend his left arm up high.IMO the Ram defense will have to have a monster game in order to prevent a blow out.