Ice cream man tries to get my kid in van

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamzFanz

Damnit
My youngest girl, 11, was with her friend who is a boy about 2 blocks away when the ice cream man comes by. She's an ice cream freak so she asked if he would follow her to our house so she could get money.

He leans over and opens the big back door and says to hop in, he'll drive them. They say no thanks, and anyways, he has no seats. He says, jump in, you can ride on the floor. They say no thanks. He says, I insist, jump in. They declined and ran back here and he followed and sold them ice cream.

The boy was willing to get in and my daughter, who runs the show and is strong willed, told him no way.

We didn't know about any of this until after he left.

I emailed his company and the cops. They are both looking into him.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Kudos to Little Miss RamzFanz. Sounds like she's got her head screwed on well for an 11 year old.

Stuff like that doesn't bear thinking about. Hope the cops can track him down. Can't be too difficult given the vehicle he was driving.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
There's something wrong with that dude's head.
Even if he had no ill intentions, you NEVER try to get a kid into your vehicle.

RamzFanz

Damnit
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
There's something wrong with that dude's head.
Even if he had no ill intentions, you NEVER try to get a kid into your vehicle.

Which is what we said to the company and cops. The cops were very interested and involved but they did mention that a good guy doesn't think about it being wrong and I told him, if they had piled out of a van in front of me, that driver would be in real trouble.

That driver is an idiot if not worse. I hate to get people in trouble, but that's just idiotic. Both kids say he said "I insist" from their first telling to their last.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Which is what we said to the company and cops. The cops were very interested and involved but they did mention that a good guy doesn't think about it being wrong and I told him, if they had piled out of a van in front of me, that driver would be in real trouble.

That driver is an idiot if not worse. I hate to get people in trouble, but that's just idiotic. Both kids say he said "I insist" from their first telling to their last.

If he had asked once maybe twice then you could explain it away as someone trying to do a good deed.

But persistently asking and insisting potentially points to something more sinister.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
That's really messed up
I'm glad your daughter had enough wherewithal to know not to get into that van.

beej

Rookie
I had something like that happen to me when I was a kid. I was riding my bike on the road about 9 or 10 years old when a couple of guys pulled up along side of me and asked me if I knew where interstate 70 was. I told them where it was and they wanted me to get in the car and just show them. I told them that I couldn't just leave my bike on the road and they promised they'd bring me right back to it. I got an uneasy feeling and took off riding as fast as I could to a buddy's house. That's just one of many things that lead me to believe in the Grace of God.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
You've taught your daughter well @RamzFanz

This kind of thing really gets my blood boiling. That guy wouldn't be safe coming back into my neighborhood. I'm glad you called the cops,,, I'd be pestering them big time for some action on their part. I hope he gets a good talking to by the authorities. Man this pisses me off.

fearsomefour

Legend

Good on your daughter for being strong willed.
At best this guy is a moron (may be the case) as he would have to know he is easy to identify. But, who knows?
It is strange the police kind of took the line that a good guy doesn't think about it being wrong. They can assume the guy was up to nothing, and in most cases this would be case....but, how could they take the chance? I hope they do follow up.
When I was coaching football (youth, middle school age), the first rule I put into place with the other coaches is no coach is alone with a kid. If a boys parent was late picking him up from practice....happened all the time sadly.....and the boy was going to have to wait we would not leave him. Also, more than one coach had to stay. I 100% believe none of the coaches were weirdos or would have ever done anything to any of the kids, but, it is about protecting everyone involved. A good guy doesn't just assume its ok to have a bunch of kids he doesn't know get in his car....maybe a dumb guy does.
Anyway, "stranger danger" is a pretty rare thing. That said I am glad your daughter was strong willed enough to handle it the right way and strong enough to (potentially) keep her friend out of danger too.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I emailed his company and the cops. They are both looking into him.
I really hope that that they find that this guy is just a little naive or "slow", and had no ill intent. How scary this must have been for you and your family. I'm really happy nothing happened and your daughter and friend did the right thing.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I really hope that that they find that this guy is just a little naive or "slow", and had no ill intent. How scary this must have been for you and your family. I'm really happy nothing happened and your daughter and friend did the right thing.

The company should be teaching these guys what's proper and what isn't. Even setting aside they were kids, there were no seats or seat belts.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Glad your daughter had the smarts to say no. In todays world even if he no ill intentions he should be smart enough to know it doesnt look good to ask a child you dont know to get in your van.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Years ago, that might have been ok in a small town where the kids know the "ice cream guy". But, today, and in bigger areas, this guy has got to know better. You have taught your daughter well RamzFanz! (y)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Pretty sad state of affairs.

I remember on a few occasions where I didn't ride my bike to a practice (I was one of the few kids who almost ALWAYS rode my bike to practice and games. No parent ever gave me a ride to anything, even at 9 years old and some of the practices were miles away), a coach would give me a ride home.

Never thought anything about it.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Your daughter deserves ice cream for life.
I need to start talking to my kids more about situations like these.
They'll be 4 next month.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Your daughter deserves ice cream for life.
I need to start talking to my kids more about situations like these.
They'll be 4 next month.

You got some twins Brudda ? It's such a complicated dynamic.

My twins are starting their Senior year in HS on Monday.

I believe that everyone should have to have a set. :coach:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
You got some twins Brudda ? It's such a complicated dynamic.

My twins are starting their Senior year in HS on Monday.

I believe that everyone should have to have a set. :coach:
They're relentless. Loads of fun though. I wish I had half the energy of one of them.

RamzFanz

Damnit
In all fairness, I'm that trustworthy guy that the neighborhood relies on. If a kid misses the bus, they come to me to get a ride, so I understand the "I'm a good guy" mentality. They all know I'm a safe haven and I will let the parents know what is going on with their kids and how I resolved it. The parents call me all the time to deal with issues if their kids don't make the bus or whatever and they barely know me.

As much as I am a safe haven for children, that would die or kill to protect them, it amazes me how much people allow their kids to come to our house to sleep over with our girls and they know nothing about us. Some parents who have never met us don't even ask our phone number! The other night I picked up a girl. 12 years old, who had never been to our house and whose parents had never met us, her uncle came out to speak to me, which I appreciated, but he asked me nothing that mattered and when I asked if she had any food or medical allergies he knew nothing.

We would never let our child go into a home we didn't know well and I hope you don't either. Any home with a random relative like an uncle... no way. We solve most issues by inviting them here.

As a male, I NEVER allow under age females in my house, which would be common since I have two daughters, unless another adult is present. On the rare exception that I have to because they are lost or stranded, I make them sit on a chair on the porch while I call a parent.

Last edited: