I worry about Gurley's running style.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'm not sure how a guy can run and cut in a way that protects is ACL.
If that means not making sharp cuts or shuffling his feet to cut he wouldn't be the same guy. The biggest separator (besides field vision) for running backs in my opinion is the ability to cut and not slow down. The really good ones can change direction suddenly.
For him to try and change that would destroy his game.
Who knows what caused his injury. It could have been injured weeks or months before.
I would compare this to the UCL in a pitcher. If you throw 93 mph the risk to you elbow is way higher than if you throw 84 mph. Many guys could lower their risk by not throwing as hard....thr would also mean the end of their career.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If he is worrying about getting hurt instead of just playing that would make be concerned. Players have to play with reckless abandon.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I bet he's fed up of people saying he "Runs like a Gurley" ;)

In all seriousness, lets see how how he run's for the Rams, we know that college football is totally different to the NFL, lets see how he runs for us, behind our line before we start raising the warning signs...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I bet he's fed up of people saying he "Runs like a Gurley" ;)

In all seriousness, lets see how how he run's for the Rams, we know that college football is totally different to the NFL, lets see how he runs for us, behind our line before we start raising the warning signs...
Yeah... of 100 things about the Rams I need to worry about, he's about a 3.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
To able to cut back like that means your muscle are built to do that. It does make you more prone to ACL injuries.
I understand your paranoia, I have it too lol. We have seen enough ACL's to last a few years

Haha I'll say we have. Let me clarify. I am not worried that he makes fast, hard, GREAT cuts as a runner. I'm kinda worried as to WHEN he's making them, as in when players have already dove (dived) shoulders first at his knees.

And to some of you others that have responded, yes, I know that a runner runs with almost pure instinct and it really cannot be changed. I'm not saying we need him to change his running style because it cannot be done. All I'm saying is from what I've seen, it worries me. Can a guy not be a little worried about something without being "ostracized?" ;)

Last edited:

cracengl

Rookie
I think thats exactly why he got injured and why I think (and hope) the Rams are being extra careful.
Seemed like he went from suspension to the field. Was kind of like Boobie Miles in Friday Night lights- "Just give the ball to Boobie". Not accusing Georgia of rushing him back but.... I think they put him back full speed too early
I think Nick Chubb makes it hard for me to agree. If anything he wanted to get a few more highlights to take the heat off his suspension and solidify his draft standing (not that anyone really thought his suspension was warranted).

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Haha I'll say we have. Let me clarify. I am not worried that he makes fast, hard, GREAT cuts as a runner. I'm kinda worried as to WHEN he's making them, as in when players have already dove (dived) shoulders first at his knees.

And to some of you others that have responded, yes, I know that a runner runs with almost pure instinct and it really cannot be changed. I'm not saying we need him to change his running style because it cannot be done. All I'm saying is from what I've seen, it worries me. Can a guy not be a little worried about something without being "ostracized?" ;)
Better to be ostracized than castrated I always say. No really I don't, but doesn't that word kind of sound like a medical procedure you don't want to have?

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
It's a good point. Let's ask Barry Sanders:

barry-sanders-o.gif

Actually, it worries me some too. I hope, if it is a concern, it was addressed in rehab. They say that babying it will lead to other injuries though.
Exactly what I was thinking and expressed better than I could have. Dude. You the man.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Nick Chubb makes it hard for me to agree. If anything he wanted to get a few more highlights to take the heat off his suspension and solidify his draft standing (not that anyone really thought his suspension was warranted).
Nick Chubb makes it worse on the Georgia staff, not better. You arent disageeing, you are in fact agreeing totally. Gurley hadnt played in what? 5 weeks? And comes back game #1 with 30 touches? Thats insane considering Chubb more than adequately carried the load in his abscence. Gurley still wanted the Heisman, Gurley still wanted the headlines fer sure. Give the ball to Boobie!

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be more worried that he will not run the same way because of his injury. I would think that the coaching staff would want him to be comfortable running while in close proximity to defensive players. That is why you have running back coaches and trainers. Mechanics, rehab, and staying in good shape is what he will have to remain on the field, and, I would think, that is the focus.

The Rams are in no rush to bring him back, and I guess Bradford has made us all a little gun shy about injuries with the Rams staff included.

PFaulk

Rookie
Name
Dan
The only reason I'd be worried about Todd Gurley's running style was if I had to tackle him.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Honestly I am thrilled he is a Ram but I would never have drafted him considering OUR recent history with ACL injuries. Fish got huge gonads.