I worry about Gurley's running style.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I know this sounds weird, and Gurley's "running style" has gotten him tons of yardage and many many touchdowns but I watched the play where he tore his ACL and it was caused by him trying to cut back. (he did NOT take a hit to the knee). Yes I am aware that a lot of ACL injuries are sustained without hits. Probably the majority of them.

But even before I saw that injury run I said to myself "this guy runs and cuts with no fear of knee injury." I noticed as people are literally diving at his legs to tackle him he'll plant a foot and start cutting. But it's too late. They still make awkward contact with his legs and knees even if he shakes loose. That's something I don't see a lot of running backs do.

Sure, I know a few of you are gonna call me crazy and act like I don't know anything about football (that's very untrue) but I really worry about his running style, and worry it has a considerably higher chance of sustaining injuries. Now what's the flip side? We also don't want him running timid and therefore not being a top 5 running back in this league. But I just wonder if there's a happy medium for him? I'm very excited we have him and look forward to what he seems to be able to do.

Am I seeing things? Or do a few of you out there also see what I'm seeing when I watch his highlight reels?

Thanks.
Brian

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
53919212.jpg

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Naw....no worries here...I actually think the time off contributed to the injury...not sure how, just a feeling.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I don't share this concern, but everybody sees things through their own eyes...

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
If he gets hurt, he gets hurt. Next man up. Its a risk of course because he's coming off an ACL when we picked him, but Snisher obviously thought it was one worth taking. No point worrying about it now!

jjab360

Legend
Gurley has a violent running style but not any more violent than Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch. Guys like that tend to stay knicked up, but it's only going to be more dangerous asking him not to play as hard and to be the one getting punished and not handing out punishment.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's an all around power back. They all go through the same

RamzFanz

Damnit
It's a good point. Let's ask Barry Sanders:

barry-sanders-o.gif

Actually, it worries me some too. I hope, if it is a concern, it was addressed in rehab. They say that babying it will lead to other injuries though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Every back is different in so many ways. It's hard to nail down a technique that will help prevent injury. If you are playing with avoiding injury in your mind, you are in trouble. All you can do as a runner is let your instincts take over. I bet most runners can't accurately describe their style, how they know when to spin, hurdle, juke, etc. It just happens. There's no way to think about it. Is Gurley's style an injury prone one? Could be but we can't worry about it. We can just hope he tears the league up and not any of his body parts.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
To able to cut back like that means your muscle are built to do that. It does make you more prone to ACL injuries.

I understand your paranoia, I have it too lol. We have seen enough ACL's to last a few years

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
I for one am not to concerned about it we have a stable of young studs at Rb.So if he were to go down it would hurt but it wouldn't be season buster for us.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Naw....no worries here...I actually think the time off contributed to the injury...not sure how, just a feeling.
I think thats exactly why he got injured and why I think (and hope) the Rams are being extra careful.
Seemed like he went from suspension to the field. Was kind of like Boobie Miles in Friday Night lights- "Just give the ball to Boobie". Not accusing Georgia of rushing him back but.... I think they put him back full speed too early

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm only worried about the fact that its an ACL injury he's coming off, and pardon the analogy, ACLs have been our Achilles heel these last few years!

FRO

Legend
He's an all around power back. They all go through the same
A power back with 4.3 speed and great agility. The only reason he was sitting at 10 was due to his knee. If the kid can stay healthy there is no reason he can't be an elite player in this league. His college tape is outrageous.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This thread has me worried more than Gurley’s "running style" :cautious:
I don’t like this vibe :sick:
I’ll have to call in an expert to ward off all evil spirits…

curse2.gif

V3

Hall of Fame
I'd be more worried about the O-line than the way someone runs.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
He was overused his first game back. I think he had something like 30 carries, and then for some inexplicable reason they gave it to him towards the end of the game & that's when he tried a cutback & tore it.
With our stable of backs, he'll likely share the workload until he can carry it a full game, at least until the last 3-4 games.