I think Barksdale

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Signs with the Rams this week. He and the Rams have been playing chicken, but once the draft gets here Barksdale loses leverage and the Rams are backed into a corner having to draft an ot in the first round. That doesn't mean they won't stil draft an ol in the first, it just makes it a lot more comfortable if a better player slips to ten and we are unable to trade down. Nobody is beating down Barksdale's door. Best thing for both parties is get this deal done. One year would be fine with me. Just can't picture us going into the season with what we have plus draft choices. It allows us to let the draft come to us rather than overdrafting ol. In no way am I saying we don't need to draft ol early and often, it just allows us to be smarter about it.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think you are probably right. (y)

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I've been assuming he is still shopping around, a player like that will spend time getting a few hundred grand more in guaranteed money if he can and I just figured he has been kicking tires with a few teams to see where he can get the most.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been assuming he is still shopping around, a player like that will spend time getting a few hundred grand more in guaranteed money if he can and I just figured he has been kicking tires with a few teams to see where he can get the most.

I'm sure there's truth to that. Back when manufacturing was strong in the US guys would move their toolboxes for .25 more per hour. Why wouldn't a guy move for a couple hundred grand. People haven't changed that much. It's business.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm sure there's truth to that. Back when manufacturing was strong in the US guys would move their toolboxes for .25 more per hour. Why wouldn't a guy move for a couple hundred grand. People haven't changed that much. It's business.

Yeah at his level knowing he isn't going to get crazy money up front a few hundred G's can make a difference. That's extra money to assure the kids go to any college they want to and for a player who may not have a long career making tons of cheddar that's a difference maker for sure.

I think/hope he comes back. He was up and down I'll admit it, but I have to wonder how much of it had to do with inferior play by line mates. With solid players around him maybe he looks better too.

@lockdnram21 I hope they get OL in a couple of rounds too, but I still want JB back. The line can use all the help and depth it can get and if Foles is given average time he will be the difference maker this year on the O.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I hope your wrong I want no parts of Barksdale. Also we can find a Rt in 2nd Or 3rd

It's that mentality that has us in the situation we are in. The notion that quality linemen are just lying around. Nothing says we can't sign him and draft linemen thru the first three rounds, which is what needs to happen anyway.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's that mentality that has us in the situation we are in. The notion that quality linemen are just lying around. Nothing says we can't sign him and draft linemen thru the first three rounds, which is what needs to happen anyway.

.Yep thats pretty much what I'm saying. Don't think JB is longterm solution but we need him this year, even if it's only part of the season while the drafted players become "educated".

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Linemen are almost as scarce as QB's these days. Teams don't want to let the good ones go. Thats how valuable they are to them. What does it say when fans seem to be desperate to re-sign a guy like Barksdale? He's OK, but nothing special. I would call him nothing more than serviceable.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
.Yep thats pretty much what I'm saying. Don't think JB is longterm solution but we need him this year, even if it's only part of the season while the drafted players become "educated".

I think at this point it might be premature to say that he isn't a viable solution at RT, especially if we ever get enough interior linemen to maintain a reliable running/playaction passing offense. He wouldn't need to be the best pass blocker then. It would also let us draft BPA as well. We don't bring back Barksdale, it's just yet another hole to fill, and few players who can fill it. We are already looking at starting at LT who's learning on the job. An oft injured LG. A hodgepodge of backup and injured centers, and a player to be named later hopefully if we get lucky and some guy is there when we draft at 10 for RG. Adding RT to the mix isn't feasible IMO.

And that's just the starting lineup, not even including the quality backups a team needs to run special teams and fill in.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Perhaps the salary cap says we can't...plus Barksdale's agent...

I'd say Barksdale's agent has come back to reality by now.

As for the salary cap, well I guess a power running team doesn't need offensive linemen. Right now the line is nowhere near even average. Seems like a backup TE or someone like that could be moved.

Alan

Legend
SaneRamsFan with a possibility:
Signs with the Rams this week. He and the Rams have been playing chicken, but once the draft gets here Barksdale loses leverage and the Rams are backed into a corner having to draft an ot in the first round.
That's certainly one way his agent might be looking at it but let me posit this: What if the draft doesn't fall like Snisher (or this is how he wants it to fall) wants and we wind up with Amari Cooper, an OG in the 2nd round and a QB in the third? Now, knowing that we probably didn't get a starting caliber OT in the draft, doesn't his leverage improve dramatically?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I think at this point it might be premature to say that he isn't a viable solution at RT, especially if we ever get enough interior linemen to maintain a reliable running/playaction passing offense. He wouldn't need to be the best pass blocker then. It would also let us draft BPA as well. We don't bring back Barksdale, it's just yet another hole to fill, and few players who can fill it. We are already looking at starting at LT who's learning on the job. An oft injured LG. A hodgepodge of backup and injured centers, and a player to be named later hopefully if we get lucky and some guy is there when we draft at 10 for RG. Adding RT to the mix isn't feasible IMO.

And that's just the starting lineup, not even including the quality backups a team needs to run special teams and fill in.
It's a little bit of a mess from the outside looking in isn't it? But hopefully, the Rams know something we don't and some of these young reserves we have are ready to step up. If just one of them is ready to take a starting spot, and with a good draft, we are not in as bad a shape as it appears.

RamzFanz

Damnit
That's certainly one way his agent might be looking at it but let me posit this: What if the draft doesn't fall like Snisher (or this is how he wants it to fall) wants and we wind up with Amari Cooper, an OG in the 2nd round and a QB in the third? Now, knowing that we probably didn't get a starting caliber OT in the draft, doesn't his leverage improve dramatically?

If he's willing to roll the dice. Once the draft hits, teams fill those holes and are running out of money so it could go either way. The offers could get smaller post draft.

Snisher won't blink pre-draft I don't think. It sets a bad precedent. I think Barksdale signs somewhere pre-draft so he doesn't end up in a worse position. Bird in the hand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'd say Barksdale's agent has come back to reality by now.

As for the salary cap, well I guess a power running team doesn't need offensive linemen. Right now the line is nowhere near even average. Seems like a backup TE or someone like that could be moved.

True but is a Joe Barksdale going to add much to that "nowhere near average" OL you speak of blue4?:huh:

You did bring a smile :)to my face when you mentioned quality in your above post speaking of Barksdale. Yes I agree with you that we need him back but to expect he his presence @ ORT to upgrade the OL from where it was last season is :palm:.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Linemen are almost as scarce as QB's these days. Teams don't want to let the good ones go. Thats how valuable they are to them. What does it say when fans seem to be desperate to re-sign a guy like Barksdale? He's OK, but nothing special. I would call him nothing more than serviceable.

Nothing more than serviceable? That's all we had in 1999 and it worked out pretty well.;)

Alan

Legend
Ballhawk looking back with rose colored glasses:
Nothing more than serviceable? That's all we had in 1999 and it worked out pretty well.;)
I have to disagree with that. Not only did we have one of the better LTs in the history of the NFL in Pace, we had some other good players on the O-line too. Looking at where they were drafted or how we acquired then would, IMO, be a mistake. There was a completely different paradigm at work back then when it comes to the O-line.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I have to disagree with that. Not only did we have one of the better LTs in the history of the NFL in Pace, we had some other good players on the O-line too. Looking at where they were drafted or how we acquired then would, IMO, be a mistake. There was a completely different paradigm at work back then when it comes to the O-line.

I thought that we were just talking about right tackle?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was serviceable until oppositea premier pass rusher,then, he was beaten like a rented mule. I wanted to re-sign him a couple of months ago, but this whole process has made me sour about him. Who plans a wedding/honeymoon during a business crunch time, AHEAD of time? He is making me not care so much anymore, especially if someone else that's about as good is available.